What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Cancerous WR" talk trend...... (1 Viewer)

Mahoney

Footballguy
I've heard nothing but nonsense over the last few weeks concerning WRs being clubhouse cancers. I'm completely convinced that these talks come from 1 of 2 groups of fans:

1. Eagles fans

2. Packers fans

I understand the TO talk. Really I do. I'm a Boston transplant to Philly for the last year, so trust me, I'm well informed. I think most of the TO hate comes from disappointed Eagles fans who are absolutely torn up inside because they know three things: A.) The Cowboys are definitely better than the Eagles in '06, they may deny it, but deep down they do know it is true. B.) Their ownership won't part with a 4th round pick (last year they got Todd Herremans in the 4th!) and pay market rates for a WR who is right now better than anyone on their team, and C.) Javon Walker isn't coming to Philly even though he is also clearly an automatic #1 if they get him.

I can understand the anger, but to cry that these guys (Moulds and Walker) are no good is rotten logic.

Javon Walker got in a pissing contest last summer after a blow out year when his agent, Rosenhaus, claimed he needed to renegotiate. The guy got thrown under the bus by the football God who is responsible for delivering him the ball (an unheard of precedent), swallowed his pride, showed up and said he'd be a good soldier, and blew out his knee to ruin his '05 and possibly more. Of course he's got a hair across his bum. It's hard to take a perspective that would be contrary if you were in those shoes. Anytime you go against your orignal stance, gamble, and lose, it hurts.

Eric Moulds has been a premiere WR on a terrible team for 10 years. He's seen more Head coaches, systems, and QB's then probably anyone who has been a borderline pro-bowler for the last 10 years. He got suspended by a coach who was eventually run out of town, after underachieving for 2 years, by the greatest coach in Buffalo history. Moulds is a workout warrior, who has never shown up negative on the radar screen until some bum of a coach got pissed because he asked for more looks.

Bottomline? Can we ease up on the quick "Clubhouse cancer" talk of guys who have never been one? Obviously TO has been ridiculous this past year. But Walker and Moulds? C'mon. That's sheer nonsense. Get a grip people. How about throwing Mullarkey under the bus over the Moulds issue? How about talking about how Mr. Over-the-Hill, league leading INT thrower was flat out wrong?

There is no evidence that these 2 are "cancers". And just because the Eagles front office claimed they heard that they were and that is why they weren't buyers is not reason to continue such garbage.

Enough is enough. Stop being idiots.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really haven't heard any Eagles fans saying Moulds is a team cancer, most are just saying he isn't good anymore.

edit: And they're right

Well that was the big talk in Philly this week. That he was on the TO level of problems. The Eagles were never interested because of this, but the Moulds camp kept claiming the Eagles were interested...because nobody else was buying so they were trying to leverage an offer from Houston.

Moulds is defintely better than Lewis, Gaffney, and Pinkston. Most likely better than Brown in '06. Clearly an upgrade.

I imagine everyone in Philly is a bit sensitive right now anyway. Any thought of another WR coming to town that has said "Hey I know I have a signed contract, but I dont think I'll play" is pretty familair to them.

Plus they must be thinking that they went to 4 NFC championship games, without a #1 WR, so they can do it again......they are wrong, but they think it all the same.

I don't know who you are talking to, because I haven't heard one peep about Moulds being a cancer. I'm in the car a good portion of the day and listen to sports radio almost exclusively. The only show I can imagine you got that from is Angelo Cataldi, who I rarely listen to. Most other hosts, and callers, would have liked to see Moulds here but feel the Texans overpaid for an old WR with declining skills. Moulds is going to get at least $6 mil this year (bonuis and salary) - that seems like too much to me.

Historically, WRs don't maintain elite levels of play into their mid 30s. Rice is the only exception that comes to mind, but even he was not playing at the same level he reached earlier in his career - but he was still better than most out there.

As for your reference to the 4th round pick, Herrimans will start for this team on their OL at some point - this year or next most likely. They actually really like him, so I don't know why you would bring him into this conversation.

The Walker talk - he told his new coach when they met that he would be a cancer if forced to play there this year. That was WALKER's choice of words. Similarly, the TO cancer talk started well before he came to the Eagles, just ask any SF fan. So, your whole premise that the cancer talk comes from Eagles and Packers fans could not be any less accurate.

I've heard nothing but nonsense over the last few weeks concerning WRs being clubhouse cancers. I'm completely convinced that these talks come from 1 of 2 groups of fans:

1. Eagles fans

2. Packers fans

I understand the TO talk. Really I do. I'm a Boston transplant to Philly for the last year, so trust me, I'm well informed. I think most of the TO hate comes from disappointed Eagles fans who are absolutely torn up inside because they know three things: A.) The Cowboys are definitely better than the Eagles in '06, they may deny it, but deep down they do know it is true. B.) Their ownership won't part with a 4th round pick (last year they got Todd Herremans in the 4th!) and pay market rates for a WR who is right now better than anyone on their team, and C.) Javon Walker isn't coming to Philly even though he is also clearly an automatic #1 if they get him.

I can understand the anger, but to cry that these guys (Moulds and Walker) are no good is rotten logic.

Javon Walker got in a pissing contest last summer after a blow out year when his agent, Rosenhaus, claimed he needed to renegotiate. The guy got thrown under the bus by the football God who is responsible for delivering him the ball (an unheard of precedent), swallowed his pride, showed up and said he'd be a good soldier, and blew out his knee to ruin his '05 and possibly more. Of course he's got a hair across his bum. It's hard to take a perspective that would be contrary if you were in those shoes. Anytime you go against your orignal stance, gamble, and lose, it hurts.

Eric Moulds has been a premiere WR on a terrible team for 10 years. He's seen more Head coaches, systems, and QB's then probably anyone who has been a borderline pro-bowler for the last 10 years. He got suspended by a coach who was eventually run out of town, after underachieving for 2 years, by the greatest coach in Buffalo history. Moulds is a workout warrior, who has never shown up negative on the radar screen until some bum of a coach got pissed because he asked for more looks.

Bottomline? Can we ease up on the quick "Clubhouse cancer" talk of guys who have never been one? Obviously TO has been ridiculous this past year. But Walker and Moulds? C'mon. That's sheer nonsense. Get a grip people. How about throwing Mullarkey under the bus over the Moulds issue? How about talking about how Mr. Over-the-Hill, league leading INT thrower was flat out wrong?

There is no evidence that these 2 are "cancers". And just because the Eagles front office claimed they heard that they were and that is why they weren't buyers is not reason to continue such garbage.

Enough is enough. Stop being idiots.
:goodposting: Except for point A. The Cowboys will get swept by the birds this year and Philly will win the NFC East (barring a McNabb injury), although it will not be as easy as it was a few years ago.

I don't know who you are talking to, because I haven't heard one peep about Moulds being a cancer. I'm in the car a good portion of the day and listen to sports radio almost exclusively. The only show I can imagine you got that from is Angelo Cataldi, who I rarely listen to. Most other hosts, and callers, would have liked to see Moulds here but feel the Texans overpaid for an old WR with declining skills. Moulds is going to get at least $6 mil this year (bonuis and salary) - that seems like too much to me.

Historically, WRs don't maintain elite levels of play into their mid 30s. Rice is the only exception that comes to mind, but even he was not playing at the same level he reached earlier in his career - but he was still better than most out there.

As for your reference to the 4th round pick, Herrimans will start for this team on their OL at some point - this year or next most likely. They actually really like him, so I don't know why you would bring him into this conversation.

The Walker talk - he told his new coach when they met that he would be a cancer if forced to play there this year. That was WALKER's choice of words. Similarly, the TO cancer talk started well before he came to the Eagles, just ask any SF fan. So, your whole premise that the cancer talk comes from Eagles and Packers fans could not be any less accurate.
:goodposting: Matter of fact, excellent post.I don't know where Mahoney gets his info :confused: but most of what I have heard on sports radio and on the Eagles' boards has been very positive regarding the acquisition of either Moulds or Walker.

Irving Fryar? Chris Carter? Andre Reed? Jimmy Smith? Keenan McCardell? Rod Smith? Moulds is 32. Same age as TO.

It was Cataldi who spoke of it the most this week, but it was Gargano who obtained the information that the reason the Eagles had zero interest in Moulds was because they heard he was another TO. Actually his "source" claimed people in Buffalo said he was worse. Worse? Not possible. That's ridiculous. You look at what TO did and that is THE worst case scenario.

Anyways. I know Eagle fans in general want an upgrade at WR. And I know Eagle fans in general do know that either Walker or Moulds would be an upgrade. But when I hear people compare Moulds and Walker to TO, I can't help but become suspicious that those are Eagle fans trying to justify why their team didn't go sign an upgrade.

The Eagles believe, and you agree, they shouldn't pay Moulds $6m next year? Why? Because it may cut into the $20m cushion they have under the salary cap? If one team pays him $6m then he's worth $6m. Simple as that. Fans shouldn't get caught up in the economics so much- it doesn't really have anything to do with them. Eagle fans don't get a Fan Rebate if they don't spend that money. The ticket prices won't go down. Spend the money. Put the best product you can on the field. Go buy some upgrades. Eagle fans deserve it.

The Eagles believe, and you agree, they shouldn't pay Moulds $6m next year? Why? Because it may cut into the $20m cushion they have under the salary cap? If one team pays him $6m then he's worth $6m. Simple as that. Fans shouldn't get caught up in the economics so much- it doesn't really have anything to do with them. Eagle fans don't get a Fan Rebate if they don't spend that money. The ticket prices won't go down. Spend the money. Put the best product you can on the field. Go buy some upgrades. Eagle fans deserve it.
Just to clear up one thing...the Eagles do spend their cap money...every year. They just don't spend it all in the offseason. That big cap space number you see every year gets spent before the end of the season locking up current players to longer contracts. This is how they've been so successful for so long. It's just that in November no one mentions, or cares, how much cap room a team has or who was signed.

I totally agree with you. If I was Walker, I would never want to play with Favre ever again...he cost him potentially millions and millions of dollars. This is a business, folks.

I don't know who you are talking to, because I haven't heard one peep about Moulds being a cancer.  I'm in the car a good portion of the day and listen to sports radio almost exclusively.  The only show I can imagine you got that from is Angelo Cataldi, who I rarely listen to.  Most other hosts, and callers, would have liked to see Moulds here but feel the Texans overpaid for an old WR with declining skills.  Moulds is going to get at least $6 mil this year (bonuis and salary) - that seems like too much to me. 

Historically, WRs don't maintain elite levels of play into their mid 30s.  Rice is the only exception that comes to mind, but even he was not playing at the same level he reached earlier in his career - but he was still better than most out there. 

As for your reference to the 4th round pick, Herrimans will start for this team on their OL at some point - this year or next most likely.  They actually really like him, so I don't know why you would bring him into this conversation.

The Walker talk - he told his new coach when they met that he would be a cancer if forced to play there this year.  That was WALKER's choice of words.  Similarly, the TO cancer talk started well before he came to the Eagles, just ask any SF fan.  So, your whole premise that the cancer talk comes from Eagles and Packers fans could not be any less accurate.
Irving Fryar? Chris Carter? Andre Reed? Jimmy Smith? Keenan McCardell? Rod Smith? Moulds is 32. Same age as TO.

It was Cataldi who spoke of it the most this week, but it was Gargano who obtained the information that the reason the Eagles had zero interest in Moulds was because they heard he was another TO. Actually his "source" claimed people in Buffalo said he was worse. Worse? Not possible. That's ridiculous. You look at what TO did and that is THE worst case scenario.

Anyways. I know Eagle fans in general want an upgrade at WR. And I know Eagle fans in general do know that either Walker or Moulds would be an upgrade. But when I hear people compare Moulds and Walker to TO, I can't help but become suspicious that those are Eagle fans trying to justify why their team didn't go sign an upgrade.

so you don't like the Eagles.. who cares.

You guys saying that Eagles fans are calling Moulds and Walker cancers is just plain wrong. A couple of on-air personalities do not speak for the Eagle fan base as a whole. In fact, it is well known that these guys are paid to "stir the pot," especially Angelo and Eskin. They have also been known to spew rumors fed to them from someone inside the Eagles organization. They are not dumb, they know the Eagles pay their bills as 90% of the talk is usually directed towards the Birds.

Mahoney, even if I accept your distinction that those WRs performed at elite levels in their mid 30s (an argument could be made against at least half, IMO), they are still the exception, not the rule. The odds are stacked heavily against WRs over 30 performing at an elite level - the exceptions you can point out do not change that fact.

I don't disagree that the Eagles should spend all of their cap money and improve themsleves in any position that is lacking, but I still believe that the Eagles front office knows more about what they are doing than anyone else involved in this discussion. Sure, they have made mistakes. But their success, even without a SB win, buys them another year to prove themselves.

One last thought - new Vikings coach (and former Birds OC) Brad Childress said something recently about why they traded CPepp - something to the effect that ONE player in the locker room that is not on the same page can ruin the entire team. It makes a lot of sense, especially if you look at the "team mentality" displayed by recent SB winners.

I am a life-long Packers fan and I don't think Walker is a team cancer. he just doesn't want to play for the Packers. He's not the brighter bulb in the drawer, because he tries to renegotiate from positions of weakness, but that doesn't mean he's a cancer.

He just got some bad advice last year from Rosenhaus. The Packers don't rework contracts with 2 years remaining on them unless they initiate it.

And try as you might to make this connection, Favre did not blow out Javon's knee. That was unfortunate, but if Javon truly felt he was in the right with his holdout, he's have stuck to his guns. He didn't and folded. He knew he wasn't going to get paid so he came in and got unlucky. I understand that he's upset, but why? Because he blew out his knee? Because he took bad advice? Because the Packers haven't paid up yet? He's had 1 good year in 4. If he shoots out the lights again (not a foregone conclusion), he'll get paid.

He's being childish but not a cancer. How can you be a cancer if you are staying away?

I've heard nothing but nonsense over the last few weeks concerning WRs being clubhouse cancers.  I'm completely convinced that these talks come from 1 of 2 groups of fans:

1.  Eagles fans

2.  Packers fans
You could probably add the following to your list:3. Viking fans

4. 49er fans

Edited to add:

5. Tampa Bay fans

6. New York Jets (possibly)

Users who are viewing this thread