What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Car Plows Through Crowd Engaged in Zombie Walk--Who's Wrong? (1 Viewer)

Who's At Fault?

• Total voters
That's my question, why the #### were they opening the door? Mobs are scary. Mobs dressed as undead or going to be full of idiots.
The driver is laying on the horn and hitting people with his car and not stopping I would open the door too if I were there.
Yeah, seems like the driver instigated with creeping forward and laying on the horn. You're not driving a bulldozer, guy. Once that started people started messing with him.

Either wait or turn around. Or you know, smash everyone I guess.
The driver should not have honked and creeped forward, but that was not threatening. Trying to open the door and jumping on his hood had to quite frightening...
Blasting your horn and inching your vehicle up close to a crowd of pedestratians isn't threatening?
Your world frightens and confuses me! Sometimes the honking horns of your traffic make me want to get out of my BMW.. and run off into the hills, or wherever..
Personally, I think both sides are in the wrong. But if you're a pedestrian and a car is just a few feet away, blasting its horn, and inching forward, I think that would be intimidating in that it is an implied threat that you're going to be run over. Which, of course, is precisely what happened.
Why is it an implied threat? Honking the horn is just a warning that you intend to keep moving forward. If you are unable to get out of the way of a vehicle going 1 mph, perhaps you should not be out in public.
How did the driver even know the horn was working?

There is blame to go around, but it doesn't appear as if the zombies were aggressive to the driver to the point where he should have felt the need to plow through them. This wasn't like the incident that happened on the West Side Highway of NYC.

That's my question, why the #### were they opening the door? Mobs are scary. Mobs dressed as undead or going to be full of idiots.
The driver is laying on the horn and hitting people with his car and not stopping I would open the door too if I were there.
Yeah, seems like the driver instigated with creeping forward and laying on the horn. You're not driving a bulldozer, guy. Once that started people started messing with him.

The driver should not have honked and creeped forward, but that was not threatening. Trying to open the door and jumping on his hood had to quite frightening...
Blasting your horn and inching your vehicle up close to a crowd of pedestratians isn't threatening?
Your world frightens and confuses me! Sometimes the honking horns of your traffic make me want to get out of my BMW.. and run off into the hills, or wherever..
Personally, I think both sides are in the wrong. But if you're a pedestrian and a car is just a few feet away, blasting its horn, and inching forward, I think that would be intimidating in that it is an implied threat that you're going to be run over. Which, of course, is precisely what happened.
Why is it an implied threat? Honking the horn is just a warning that you intend to keep moving forward. If you are unable to get out of the way of a vehicle going 1 mph, perhaps you should not be out in public.
How did the driver even know the horn was working?
vibrations. seriously.

I've been honked at as a pedestrian several times though out my life. Never once have I thought it's because the driver is threatening to run me over.
I think context matters. It's not just the honking. It's a crowd in the intersection. After waiting for some period of time, the car is now blasting its horn and moving toward the crowd. Not from far away, but from several feet, and then several inches. When a car starts pushing its way into a crowd like that, it can rationally be viewed as threatening.

That's not to say that the crowd weren't equally or more threatening in their behavior. Both sides unnecessarily escalated the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im still trying to figure out how the family being deaf is anyway part of the story.
It's the people giving the driver the benefit of the doubt (like myself) and thinking that not being able to communicate could escalate a stressful/confusing situation. A mob surrounding your car, coming up to your window, shouting stuff but you have no idea what they're saying.. it could be intimidating.

I don't understand how it's a non-factor :shrug:

Im still trying to figure out how the family being deaf is anyway part of the story.
It's the people giving the driver the benefit of the doubt (like myself) and thinking that not being able to communicate could escalate a stressful/confusing situation. A mob surrounding your car, coming up to your window, shouting stuff but you have no idea what they're saying.. it could be intimidating.

No one came up to the car until he moved the car towards them.

I bet there was a lot of hand flapping going on in the car which only drew the attention of more zombies.

Not sure what the traffic situation is on San Diego, but do we have any evidence that turning around was even a viable option?
It was a one way street. But turning around and breaking for the law for the sake of the Zombies loitering in an intersection is for some people preferable to honking and inching through the crowd. :rolleyes:
God forbid that those zombie people would have to WAIT.....

I've been honked at as a pedestrian several times though out my life. Never once have I thought it's because the driver is threatening to run me over.
I think context matters. It's not just the honking. It's a crowd in the intersection. After waiting for some period of time, the car is now blasting its horn and moving toward the crowd. Not from far away, but from several feet, and then several inches. When a car starts pushing its way into a crowd like that, it can rationally be viewed as threatening.

That's not to say that the crowd weren't equally or more threatening in their behavior. Both sides unnecessarily escalated the situation.
BB, this kind of stuff happens on a regular basis where there are large numbers of pedestrians (like the French Quarter I mentioned earlier).

Serious questions: If YOU were walking in an intersection full of people and there is a car inching forward and honking his horn, are you really feeling threatened? Do you honestly think this guy is about to slam the gas and crash through all of us? Would you react by continuing to stand there or would you just move out of the way? Would you even consider hitting his car or sitting on his car or trying to open his door even if you didn't like what he was doing?

I 100% disagree that inching forward/honking is threatening behavior. This happens at sporting events with large numbers of people exiting at once. It happens in crowded areas that have people walking combined with drivers. Most of the time, people don't act like complete jerks and block an intersection without moving. Eventually, enough people move out of the way for a car to pass through without someone being aggressive to the vehicle. In the case above, unfortunately, that wasn't the case, since a couple #######s decided that they would respond to his honking and inching forward by sitting on his hood and a few others by banging on the windows in his car. That's the difference between this being a big story and the rest of the time it being completely non-newsworthy.

Maybe others already recognized this, but looking at the video closer, of the pedestrians, I don't think it's the "zombies," but rather the zombie walk spectators that are the problem. The zombies appear to be walking in single file across the intersection. The rest of the mass of people are just spectators who decided that the middle of the road was the best place to stand and watch the zombie walk. I feel a little less sympathy for them, but still don't think that excuses driving a 3000 pound vehicle through a crowd of people.

Beginning of the video shows a guy in a venom shirt right next to the driver door.

Beginning of the video shows a guy in a venom shirt right next to the driver door.
The guy with the flip flops didnt appear to be trying to communicate.

not much, but i guess you could assume 2 things:

1. he couldn't hear anything that the people were saying to him

2. he couldn't say anything back to them about why he was trying to get through, etc.

It is too bad the doosh who jumped on the hood was not the one run over.

I'm sure it was mentioned, but I didn't feel like reading the whole thread. Did everyone notice that it appeared like a compound fracture? If you watch the video of the lady on the ground, someone right in front moves and it sure looks like blood and a white bone.

ETA: Go to the story link and look at the second video with the lady on the ground. Blood on the ground next to her. It looks like an awful break.

Is the car even in the right lane? Is that huge white line on the rode he is straddling indicating you should be in the right lane at the intersection?

bb - gianmarco is exactly right. this type of thing happens at sporting events, concerts, etc.all of the time. a bunch of people are walking while cars are trying to get out. they creep forward, and maybe honk, until people move and they can get through. i'm sure it pisses people off sometimes, but it's not threatening. it's just letting them know that you are trying to get through so they DON'T get hit.

the driver could have stayed put, yes. but what he did was not illegal. the people blocking traffic were actually breaking their own rules. the people damaging his car and then threatening his family were the ones at fault. at that point, i'd say he has every right to speed away from the situation. it is a shame an innocent bystander got hurt in the process, but i don't fault him for his actions.

The guy with the flip flops didnt appear to be trying to communicate.
We don't know what he was doing before the video started. I kinda doubt he was just standing there because standing next to a driver's door is the 'in' thing right now.

BB, this kind of stuff happens on a regular basis where there are large numbers of pedestrians (like the French Quarter I mentioned earlier).

Serious questions: If YOU were walking in an intersection full of people and there is a car inching forward and honking his horn, are you really feeling threatened? Do you honestly think this guy is about to slam the gas and crash through all of us? Would you react by continuing to stand there or would you just move out of the way? Would you even consider hitting his car or sitting on his car or trying to open his door even if you didn't like what he was doing?

I 100% disagree that inching forward/honking is threatening behavior. This happens at sporting events with large numbers of people exiting at once. It happens in crowded areas that have people walking combined with drivers. Most of the time, people don't act like complete jerks and block an intersection without moving. Eventually, enough people move out of the way for a car to pass through without someone being aggressive to the vehicle. In the case above, unfortunately, that wasn't the case, since a couple #######s decided that they would respond to his honking and inching forward by sitting on his hood and a few others by banging on the windows in his car. That's the difference between this being a big story and the rest of the time it being completely non-newsworthy.
Yes, it's threatening behavior. Just because threatening behavior happens doesn't mean that it's not threatening. And if I were a pedestrian and someone did that to me, I'd get the hell out of the way so I don't get bumped, run over, or pulled into some unnecessary confrontation. In other words, I'd remove myself from the front of a vehicle that can kill me driven by an angry and annoyed driver.

Right, but I'm hoping that the lack of visual communication as to what this was (no barricades, no police, etc) meant that there were people on the sidewalks communicating to cars what was going on and how long it would take to pass. (Maybe that's what the older blonde lady was trying to do when she immedietly went up to the driver's window?)

How is the driver to know this is a ZombieWalk and not some protest that eventually could turn violent like they did a couple years ago in Seattle. Not every city has their own Phoenix Jones.

Yes, it's threatening behavior. Just because threatening behavior happens doesn't mean that it's not threatening. And if I were a pedestrian and someone did that to me, I'd get the hell out of the way so I don't get bumped, run over, or pulled into some unnecessary confrontation. In other words, I'd remove myself from the front of a vehicle that can kill me driven by an angry and annoyed driver.
Is it actionable threatening behavior? Are you allowed to hit a guy for inching forward/honking? Are you allowed to destroy his property?

That's my point. Just because some guy on the street starts yelling at me and pointing his finger at me (i.e. threatening behavior), doesn't mean I can respond by clocking the guy. By the same token, ANY honking could be considered threatening behavior. I'm at a green light, guy behind me honks, I guess I could consider it threatening because he might ram into me if I don't get going. But, more reasonable, it's letting me know it's green and I should start moving. Similarly, the driver's actions above COULD mean he's going to plow through the crowd, but more than likely it means he's just trying to get through just like what happens in similar situations all the time.

But it certainly isn't the kind of threatening behavior that would prompt someone to sit on the hood of the car. In fact, I'd argue that they were clearly NOT threatened by his behavior because only a fool would actually SIT on the vehicle of a car they are threatened by. Remember, the guy didn't peel through the crowd until AFTER those people actually started approaching his vehicle. If any of those pedestrians actually felt threatened (which, of course, they didn't), then coming up to the car, hitting the window, and actually sitting on it would be the last things they would do. In other words, they weren't threatened by his actions at all. They were just annoyed with them.

Exactly correct. Inching forward really isn't a problem. He shouldn't have laid the horn like that - just inching forward through the crowd is fine. I guarantee in New Orleans if he had done that during Mardi Gras this wouldn't be a debate - he'd be in the Orleans Parish pokey as we speak.

The driver is completely at fault here. From the video it is clear he had plenty of room to turn around and find another route (this is what I would have done). Forcing his way through a peaceful gathering wasn't at all necessary. Laying on the horn and pissing people off wasn't at all necessary. I'm somewhat Shuked that a guy who has a couple scared kids chooses to blast the horn and move into the crowd the kids are scared of. He actually spent very little time inching - it went to gunning very quickly (and before the guy tried open the door). Completely asinine behavior.

Pretty easy call here.

Guys in a car.....whatever results in him NOT getting in trouble is probably the best thing for him. I imagine if he could do it over again....he'd wait or come up with another way to get thru the horde.

Exactly correct. Inching forward really isn't a problem. He shouldn't have laid the horn like that - just inching forward through the crowd is fine. I guarantee in New Orleans if he had done that during Mardi Gras this wouldn't be a debate - he'd be in the Orleans Parish pokey as we speak.

The driver is completely at fault here. From the video it is clear he had plenty of room to turn around and find another route (this is what I would have done). Forcing his way through a peaceful gathering wasn't at all necessary. Laying on the horn and pissing people off wasn't at all necessary. He actually spent very little time inching - it went to gunning very quickly (and before the guy tried open the door). Completely asinine behavior.

Pretty easy call here.
It turned to gunning when people sat on his hood and started to surround his car. That's why he spent very little time inching. I know you can see that so no, it's an easy call there.

Do people really think that the right thing to do when a pedestrian is blocking traffic is to run them over?
I know right, cause that's exactly what happened here. A pedestrian blocked traffic
Why does it change if it's a bunch of pedestrians instead of just one? Yes, they're being inconsiderate of others. That doesn't justify running them over in my car.
It doesn't.

Whether 1 or 100 or 1000 if you feel you're being threatened you may panic and take off with little regard for anyone but yourself.

Driver should of just waited but dbags intentionally blocking traffic, banging and jumping on a car are taking early steps at inciting a riot

The driver should have just inched his way through the whole crowd instead of going faster halfway through it. A bunch of fat, video game nerds pretending to be zombies aren't going to be able to break into your car to harm your family.

He didn't move the car toward the crowd until the crowd blocked his path through the intersection.

I'm not sure why the driver was trying to force his way through. There's always various marches going on here, causing traffic delays, but I've never seen anyone do that.
I biked around the huge anti-IMF demonstration we had here in 2000(?) to check it out. Somehow a guy got into the middle of a bunch of protesters who were jumping on his car as he was trying to get out of the crowd.

He was inching forward and that just made the protesters madder and they started banging on the windshield. Driver was clearly freaked out and I remember thinking he was about two seconds from gunning it when a cop damn near broke his night stick on the head of a guy sitting on the hood. That opened things up.

Assuming that everyone who's nuts enough to pound on your car isn't nuts enough to do you harm, or assuming that everyone in a car you're blocking while you're banging on it understands they aren't in real danger both seem like low value bets to me.

I read he sat there for several minutes. When the video starts, he is already half way over the white line. I'm guessing he had been honking for a while, that's why the video started and it also seems like the bike taxi driver has something to say to him which wouldn't really make sense if he had just pulled up to the intersection.

I don't see how he gets charged with a criminal act. One article said he was already cited (failing to yield to a pedestrian is my guess). He didn't do anything illegal inching forward against a crowd that wasn't moving. Pedestrians always have the right away even if they are walking illegally, but these weren't all pedestrians. He didn't gun it until people sat on his car and started banging on his windows. At that point, I think any lawyer will argue they felt threatened by a "mob" and will bring up the Detroit/NY incidents as someone mentioned.

It's really a lose/lose situation for everyone. The city should have planned better for it.

He's sitting there at a stop for 6 seconds in the video. Nobody is paying attention to him, there's nothing scary or threatening happening. He then decides to procede through a group of people simply because he has a car. This is when people begin turning on him. Watch all 3 videos. There's children in the crowd, you don't just push your way through a crowd of people because you have a car, especially where there are kids. He's in the wrong.

How many of you have left a sporting event and there's 1000's of people making their way across the street and you're sitting in your car, you just plow through them? No. Every person here has been in a situation like that of the driver, and none of you have done that. Nobody. The guys an idiot, raising idiot kids and if you agree with him you're an idiot as well, or you're fishing.

He's sitting there at a stop for 6 seconds in the video. Nobody is paying attention to him, there's nothing scary or threatening happening. He then decides to procede through a group of people simply because he has a car. This is when people begin turning on him. Watch all 3 videos. There's children in the crowd, you don't just push your way through a crowd of people because you have a car, especially where there are kids. He's in the wrong.

How many of you have left a sporting event and there's 1000's of people making their way across the street and you're sitting in your car, you just plow through them? No. Every person here has been in a situation like that of the driver, and none of you have done that. Nobody. The guys an idiot, raising idiot kids and if you agree with him you're an idiot as well, or you're fishing.
That's sounds a bit more like Vic Vinegar than Hugh Honey.

So apparently he was there for several minutes waiting to get through according to the story. I find 0 fault with the driver. Mob mentality and thinking they can do whatever they want at its worst.
driving through a crowd and hitting people is acceptable because he had to wait "several minutes"? Jesus. Someone remind me not to hold you up.
I was inconvenienced for minutes, better start running over a group of people that include children.

Users who are viewing this thread