What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Casserly Not Drafting Bush (1 Viewer)

well

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Undecided

• Total voters
No, he took the player that would best help his team. I cannot stress this enough but fantasy football has skewed many minds into thinking things that do not relate to the actual NFL.

For immediate ticket sales Bush was the answer. To build a Super Bowl team Mario Williams was the answer. No, they didn't make a mistake passing on Bush.

I think Bush was a safer pick than Mario. Chances of Bush failing are lesser than Mario due to the programs they both come from and the team they were going to. Kub's offense, if anything like Denver's, would have made Bush huge. Getting a back that was already in a pro offense would have given him a step above other backs drafted. On the other side of the ball is the Hou defense. They do not scare anyone. Adding Mario to the group, and offenses will add a TE to his side, or double coverage him somehow. Mario will be more effective if they continue to rebuild the DLine.

Of the two of those situtions, I think Bush would have been a better choice.

IMHO.

I know Mario Williams helps the team. I know defense wins championships. I know they needed defense.

I know this was a mistake.

I know they will regret this.

I also know that the Texans could have drafted Bush and they didn't and it will go down in history as one of the biggest draft day blunders every time Bush does something incredible, even the slightest thing, and every time Mario doesn't completely dominate opponents.

It was a great move considering his soon to be new employer. It is great for the NFL for Bush now to be the face of the Saints and either a. help them rebuild the organization in NO or b. helps them establish a huge fan base in LA. Casserly is a genius.

Mario dominated in college. What? Eastern Kentucky? Middle Tennessee State? Oh yeah.

You cannot tell me that the Texans got appreciably better by drafting Mario Williams over Reggie Bush. What was the most boring offensive team in the history of the NFL last year got a fat ### tackle in the third round... Yippie. I was hoping like anything that I was going to have a reason to be a Texans fan. I really wanted to cheer for my hometown team. Then they fall all over themselves and blow what should have been the easiest draft day decision ever.

I hope McNair and Casserly enjoy the look of that fancy stadium, because they'll see a lot of it empty this year and likely next, because this town will not support a boring loser. Bush would have made this offense exciting. He would have put a buzz in the crowd. Instead, we have another bust of a draft and the most exciting thing on game day will be how drunk we can get in the parking lot.

No, he took the player that would best help his team. I cannot stress this enough but fantasy football has skewed many minds into thinking things that do not relate to the actual NFL.
I don't think that's it at all. I think that many people, right or wrong, see Bush as a once in a lifetime type of back. A Gayle Sayers type of back. And they see Mario as Peppers part 2. If true, Casserly screwed up big time.

I think that every team that did not draft exclusively PAC-10 players on the first day made a mistake and will regret it for the rest of their short tenures as management of those franchises.

I know Mario Williams helps the team. I know defense wins championships. I know they needed defense.

I know this was a mistake.

I know they will regret this.

I also know that the Texans could have drafted Bush and they didn't and it will go down in history as one of the biggest draft day blunders every time Bush does something incredible, even the slightest thing, and every time Mario doesn't completely dominate opponents.
Some loves Bush.Well I do too... but in a different context and meaning to the word.

Texans made a sound Football decision. In some ways YES this is a mistake, and in some ways... NO. Kubiak came from a system you could put pee wee herman in the line up and they could run the ball... Mario gives them defensive prowess, something the texans didn't have before. Williams and Ryans will be automatic starters, and good starters... then they go out and grab two very good offensive lineman.

LOVE what the Texans did this draft and I think it will show by midyear this year.

Mario dominated in college. What? Eastern Kentucky? Middle Tennessee State? Oh yeah.

You cannot tell me that the Texans got appreciably better by drafting Mario Williams over Reggie Bush. What was the most boring offensive team in the history of the NFL last year got a fat ### tackle in the third round... Yippie. I was hoping like anything that I was going to have a reason to be a Texans fan. I really wanted to cheer for my hometown team. Then they fall all over themselves and blow what should have been the easiest draft day decision ever.

I hope McNair and Casserly enjoy the look of that fancy stadium, because they'll see a lot of it empty this year and likely next, because this town will not support a boring loser. Bush would have made this offense exciting. He would have put a buzz in the crowd. Instead, we have another bust of a draft and the most exciting thing on game day will be how drunk we can get in the parking lot.
:lmao: at you naming the non conference teams NC State played. Many of you Texans (you don't even deserve to be called fans) sound like the Eagle fans when Donovan McNabb was drafted. Too bad people like you call someone a bust before they even step foot on a field. I think Houston has had a great draft so far, and the losers are people like you.

I think that every team that did not draft exclusively PAC-10 players on the first day made a mistake and will regret it for the rest of their short tenures as management of those franchises.
:lmao: This never gets old to me.

Mario dominated in college.  What?  Eastern Kentucky?  Middle Tennessee State?  Oh yeah.

You cannot tell me that the Texans got appreciably better by drafting Mario Williams over Reggie Bush.  What was the most boring offensive team in the history of the NFL last year got a fat ### tackle in the third round... Yippie.  I was hoping like anything that I was going to have a reason to be a Texans fan.  I really wanted to cheer for my hometown team.  Then they fall all over themselves and blow what should have been the easiest draft day decision ever.   

I hope McNair and Casserly enjoy the look of that fancy stadium, because they'll see a lot of it empty this year and likely next, because this town will not support a boring loser.  Bush would have made this offense exciting.  He would have put a buzz in the crowd.  Instead, we have another bust of a draft and the most exciting thing on game day will be how drunk we can get in the parking lot.
:lmao: at you naming the non conference teams NC State played. Many of you Texans (you don't even deserve to be called fans) sound like the Eagle fans when Donovan McNabb was drafted. Too bad people like you call someone a bust before they even step foot on a field. I think Houston has had a great draft so far, and the losers are people like you.
Call me what you will, but please do not refer to me as a Texans fan. I was looking for a reason to cheer on the hometown team, but they ruined it.Texans will be 4-12 at best this year. Look at the schedule and get back to me.

Sorry, I totally disagree. Fans will still come out and support this team. Oilers fans cheered for some pretty bad teams. You are not a fan. A fan supports his team when they suck, not just when they win, that is what makes winning so much sweeter, when you were there for the whole ride. ;) Dont try to say the team left because of the fans either, I am from Houston, the team left because Houston wouldnt give them a new stadium because the Astro dome was a dump.

I hope McNair and Casserly enjoy the look of that fancy stadium, because they'll see a lot of it empty this year and likely next, because this town will not support a boring loser.  Bush would have made this offense exciting.  He would have put a buzz in the crowd.  Instead, we have another bust of a draft and the most exciting thing on game day will be how drunk we can get in the parking lot.
Sorry, I totally disagree. Fans will still come out and support this team. Oilers fans cheered for some pretty bad teams. You are not a fan. A fan supports his team when they suck, not just when they win, that is what makes winning so much sweeter, when you were there for the whole ride. ;) Dont try to say the team left because of the fans either, I am from Houston, the team left because Houston wouldnt give them a new stadium because the Astro dome was a dump.
Were you there last season when the stadium was half empty? You couldn't give away tickets last year. The fans, of which I am not, are pissed, and rightly so.

I think Bush was a safer pick than Mario. Chances of Bush failing are lesser than Mario due to the programs they both come from and the team they were going to. Kub's offense, if anything like Denver's, would have made Bush huge. Getting a back that was already in a pro offense would have given him a step above other backs drafted. On the other side of the ball is the Hou defense. They do not scare anyone. Adding Mario to the group, and offenses will add a TE to his side, or double coverage him somehow. Mario will be more effective if they continue to rebuild the DLine.

Of the two of those situtions, I think Bush would have been a better choice.

IMHO.
You contradict yourself. Since if the offense is anything like Denver's, you dont' need a #1 overall RB pick to run under it. You should be able to find your RB in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round that will do just fine. Mario was the pick, since it is the NFL and not fantasy land. Besides the huge bonus of having Mario signed and delivered on draft day. I'm not sure how long it will take Bush to sign a contract in N.O., but I would not be surprised if he has a holdout...

Were you there last season when the stadium was half empty? You couldn't give away tickets last year. The fans, of which I am not, are pissed, and rightly so.
Uhhh wrong. http://www.texansrock.com/Houston-Texans-A...ill-Selling-Out

To quote from the link:

Even though the Texans were an abysmal 2-14 that didn't prevent them from drawing sell out crowds. Houston's average home attendance for the 2005 season was 70,299, which is just over 100% capacity.

The mistake was staying at #1 if they did not like Bush. They could have easily traded with the Jets and still picked Williams. The Saints had Hawk as their #2 and Tenn was taking a QB. Even if Casserly got "less" value in the trade, he would be paying Williams a ton less cash at #4. This was just a stupid business move.

To quote from the link:

Even though the Texans were an abysmal 2-14 that didn't prevent them from drawing sell out crowds.  Houston's average home attendance for the 2005 season was 70,299, which is just over 100% capacity.
NFL reports attendance as tickets SOLD, not actual game day attendance. It's intentionally misleading. McNair was assured of guaranteed sellouts for a jillion years in exchange for putting up all the jack he did to get the team. Fine. But you are a fool if you think they had more than 40K over the last half of the season. The parking lot had more people in it than the stadium.

I hope they're pissed. I'm hoping to get a good deal on season tickets from some fair-weather fan who is jumping off the bandwagon.

To quote from the link:

Even though the Texans were an abysmal 2-14 that didn't prevent them from drawing sell out crowds. Houston's average home attendance for the 2005 season was 70,299, which is just over 100% capacity.
NFL reports attendance as tickets SOLD, not actual game day attendance. It's intentionally misleading. McNair was assured of guaranteed sellouts for a jillion years in exchange for putting up all the jack he did to get the team. Fine. But you are a fool if you think they had more than 40K over the last half of the season. The parking lot had more people in it than the stadium.
Says you. My family has season tickets and went to almost every home game and said it was packed when they went.

The fans, of which I am not, are pissed, and rightly so.
If you aren't a fan, why are you pissed? You shouldn't care one way or the other.
I'm pissed because it sucks being a Cowboy fan in Houston, because the average Houstonian loathes the Cowboys. I would like to be a Texans fan, but their games are unwatchable.

Mario was a practic no show in about 50% of the games he played. I can't remember 50% of the games where Bush was a complete non factor. Unless the player on defense is a "once in a generation" type player, you NEVER draft him #1 overall.

I hope they're pissed. I'm hoping to get a good deal on season tickets from some fair-weather fan who is jumping off the bandwagon.
Shouldn't be a problem. Good luck with that.

If you don't mind pissing away money to watch a team who won't sniff the playoffs for the next 5 years, more power to ya.

The fans, of which I am not, are pissed, and rightly so.
If you aren't a fan, why are you pissed? You shouldn't care one way or the other.
I'm pissed because it sucks being a Cowboy fan in Houston, because the average Houstonian loathes the Cowboys. I would like to be a Texans fan, but their games are unwatchable.
Maybe once the Texans start winning you will decide to support them. I think that is called fair-weathered fans.

To quote from the link:

Even though the Texans were an abysmal 2-14 that didn't prevent them from drawing sell out crowds.  Houston's average home attendance for the 2005 season was 70,299, which is just over 100% capacity.
Says you. My family has season tickets and went to almost every home game and said it was packed when they went.
With all due respect to your family, they are either lying to you or they are delusional. Common knowledge that the stadium was half empty last year.

If you don't mind pissing away money to watch a team who won't sniff the playoffs for the next 5 years, more power to ya.
I enjoy taking my kid to football games. I enjoy the sport. I don't consider that pissing away money. I understand that because the Texans are a new team, there's no historical loyalty to get you through the lean years, but the whining in this town is just ridiculous. Draft Vince Young (or Bush) and you'll have people clamoring for season tickets. Draft Mario Williams and season ticket holders are turning in their tickets and swearing that they'll never again be a fan of the team. I think the (over)reaction is ridiculous.

I enjoy taking my kid to football games. I enjoy the sport. I don't consider that pissing away money. I understand that because the Texans are a new team, there's no historical loyalty to get you through the lean years, but the whining in this town is just ridiculous. Draft Vince Young (or Bush) and you'll have people clamoring for season tickets. Draft Mario Williams and season ticket holders are turning in their tickets and swearing that they'll never again be a fan of the team. I think the (over)reaction is ridiculous.
Texans fan here and I'll be at every game next year bigbottom. Let's hang out and laugh at all the pansies who only like teams when they are good.

Texans fan here and I'll be at every game next year bigbottom. Let's hang out and laugh at all the pansies who only like teams when they are good.
Cool, but we're going to be good this year!!! (wishful thinking)

Don't hang this on Casserly. He's a lame duck. McNair has a new coach, Kubiak, and hired an old buddy, Reeves, as a consultant. That type of organizational shake up indicates Casserly probably did plenty of grunt work; gave his opinion only when asked and went for coffee or lunch runs early and often this past offseason but I am not sure how involved he was with an acutal decision.

McNair issued the order that the first round pick would be signed prior to the start of the draft on Saturday. That pick had as much to with business as it did with football and Casserly was not the person making that decision, opinion.

Williams was a better ecnomic fit. He had a higher degree of signability. He does fit a glaring team need, which is traditional 4-3 DE. He is not bringing any of the bagging Bush is carrying. He never made mention of not wanting to live or play in Houston, which Bush did the day after the Rosebowl. Williams' parents did not start floating comments in the press last week about getting paid, whereas the Bush family got a little vocal around Thursday and Friday.

The decision to take Williams was made a couple offices and floors above Casserly. That has McNair, business owner, written all over it.

The mistake was staying at #1 if they did not like Bush. They could have easily traded with the Jets and still picked Williams. The Saints had Hawk as their #2 and Tenn was taking a QB. Even if Casserly got "less" value in the trade, he would be paying Williams a ton less cash at #4. This was just a stupid business move.
There was a chance that NO would take Mario and it was a chance Casserly didn't want to take for what the Jets offered. They got the player they wanted and signed him before the draft and now don't have to worry about a hold out.Bush screwed himself here by not being reasonable. I think he bought into his own hype and decided he was worth any amount without considering the ridiculousness of paying a $30M bonus to a rookie RB - LT only got $21M on his second NFL contract.

I wouldn't be so quick to exonerate Casserly. He's done very little right in the past four years.
Oh, I am not letting the guy off the hook, as he has made some horrible late April personnel decisions, but he was not the person making the call on Williams over Bush.

I think they made a big mistake. Whether or not Bush lives up to the hype is irrelevant. Many people in football believe that Bush is a once-in-a-lifetime type of player, and to neither draft him nor trade the pick was a dumb move.

Don't get me wrong, I never thought the Texans should have kept the pick, because Bush could sell tickets and make them more exciting, but he couldn't make them a winning team. But there was a lot of value in trading the pick.

The real mistake, in my opinion, was that they didn't even use the pick to address their biggest weakness, offensive line. I thought they should have traded down to #4, and picked Ferguson. And if they were really set on drafting defense, then they could've picked either Williams or Hawk.

To me, it just looks like it was a money decision. They either didn't want to, or couldn't afford to, pay Bush what he was asking.

As a Lions fan, its good to have company along with the Cardinals, as the most poorly run organizations in the NFL.

Did you watch Mario Williams play? Again, he wasn't even noticeable in half the games he played. 'Nough said.

I think they made a big mistake. Whether or not Bush lives up to the hype is irrelevant. Many people in football believe that Bush is a once-in-a-lifetime type of player, and to neither draft him nor trade the pick was a dumb move.

Don't get me wrong, I never thought the Texans should have kept the pick, because Bush could sell tickets and make them more exciting, but he couldn't make them a winning team. But there was a lot of value in trading the pick.

The real mistake, in my opinion, was that they didn't even use the pick to address their biggest weakness, offensive line. I thought they should have traded down to #4, and picked Ferguson. And if they were really set on drafting defense, then they could've picked either Williams or Hawk.

To me, it just looks like it was a money decision. They either didn't want to, or couldn't afford to, pay Bush what he was asking.

As a Lions fan, its good to have company along with the Cardinals, as the most poorly run organizations in the NFL.
:goodposting: At least take Dbrack for crying out loud.

Don't hang this on Casserly. He's a lame duck. McNair has a new coach, Kubiak, and hired an old buddy, Reeves, as a consultant. That type of organizational shake up indicates Casserly probably did plenty of grunt work; gave his opinion only when asked and went for coffee or lunch runs early and often this past offseason but I am not sure how involved he was with an acutal decision.

McNair issued the order that the first round pick would be signed prior to the start of the draft on Saturday. That pick had as much to with business as it did with football and Casserly was not the person making that decision, opinion.

Williams was a better ecnomic fit. He had a higher degree of signability. He does fit a glaring team need, which is traditional 4-3 DE. He is not bringing any of the bagging Bush is carrying. He never made mention of not wanting to live or play in Houston, which Bush did the day after the Rosebowl. Williams' parents did not start floating comments in the press last week about getting paid, whereas the Bush family got a little vocal around Thursday and Friday.

The decision to take Williams was made a couple offices and floors above Casserly. That has McNair, business owner, written all over it.
Whoever made the decision isn't relevant here. I couldn't care less who made the call....this shows a clear cut pattern that this organizaion will contiune to be one of the worst.If year after year they continue to draft UP for players that everyone else has lower, there's NO way they will get better.

So, they draft Carr but continue to not at least get OL help (DBRACK)? Smart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't hang this on Casserly.  He's a lame duck.  McNair has a new coach, Kubiak, and hired an old buddy, Reeves, as a consultant.  That type of organizational shake up indicates Casserly probably did plenty of grunt work; gave his opinion only when asked and went for coffee or lunch runs early and often this past offseason but I am not sure how involved he was with an acutal decision.   

McNair issued the order that the first round pick would be signed prior to the start of the draft on Saturday.  That pick had as much to with business as it did with football and Casserly was not the person making that decision, opinion. 

Williams was a better ecnomic fit.  He had a higher degree of signability.  He does fit a glaring team need, which is traditional 4-3 DE.  He is not bringing any of the bagging Bush is carrying.  He never made mention of not wanting to live or play in Houston, which Bush did the day after the Rosebowl.  Williams' parents did not start floating comments in the press last week about getting paid, whereas the Bush family got a little vocal around Thursday and Friday. 

The decision to take Williams was made a couple offices and floors above Casserly.  That has McNair, business owner, written all over it.
Whoever made the decision isn't relevant here. I couldn't care less who made the call....this shows a clear cut pattern that this organizaion will contiune to be one of the worst.If year after year they continue to draft UP for players that everyone else has lower, there's NO way they will get better.

It was a horrible decision. I am in total agreement. The point of the post, though, being fans need to be pissed at ownership not just Casserly. Casserly is a nice scape goat, though, for McNair at this point.

If it was not made abundantly obvious by the whiplash effect NFL teams had, then I don't know what it will ever take to convince people. After the decision was made it was certainly made obvious from the offers (rumored offers anyways) NO was getting called on for trade-ups for Bush. This was a mistake. I don't care how much you love Williams or hate Bush. Hou could have and should have traded down. Bush was clearly the better prospect and clearly held more value, even if it was only for a trade. He dominated every game he participated in last year and Williams was practically invisable in half his games.

All that said, I think the Texans had a great draft with every pick after 1.01. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

It was a horrible decision. I am in total agreement. The point of the post, though, being fans need to be pissed at ownership not just Casserly. Casserly is a nice scape goat, though, for McNair at this point.
Exactly. My point is that it's been clear that Casserly is just not a good GM and last time I looked HE was hirerd by McNair, an owner so utterly clueless, he needed an old ex coach to come in and evaluate the club so he has no clue.I think the main point is that you have an organization that never takes responsibility, the GM said Capers wanted Babin, etc and the owner can't make the tough decisions and get a REAL GM in there.

When your two top people have clearly shown they are clueless then it comes down to pure luck when someone goes well with more busts than most clubs will have to endure.

Why piss money away on a club who aren't 100% committed to winning?

Users who are viewing this thread