What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cast Iron Skillet omnibus (3 Viewers)

For those interested in Le Creuset cookware, always, ALWAYS check Craigslist. Many people receive Le Creuset as gifts but never use it and wind up selling it on Craigslist. Two years ago I bought a 9 quart dutch oven for $150, saving about $200 off of retail. Made osso bucco in it earlier this week. Damn good.

Just took the cornbread that I made in my CIS out of the oven. I made the cornbread for oyster dressing I'm making for dinner. :banned: Yummy.

offdee said:
[icon] said:
offdee said:
If you like steaks this is a great recipe from Alton Brown for steaks in a cast iron skillet.1 boneless rib eye steak, 1 1/2-inch thick Canola oil to coat Kosher salt and ground black pepperPlace 10 to 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees. Bring steak(s) to room temperature. When oven reaches temperature, remove pan and place on range over high heat. Coat steak lightly with oil and season both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper to taste. Immediately place steak in the middle of hot, dry pan. Cook 30 seconds without moving. Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes. Flip steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium rare steaks. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns.) Remove steak from pan, cover loosely with foil, and rest for 2 minutes. Serve whole or slice thin and fan onto plate.
Would anything need to be adjusted for the above with filet mignon? I have 3 fairly small/medium pieces that are about 2" thick. Like medium rare.Also, read that it's not good to put salt on filets before cooking as it attracts the juices to the surface and you lose them during the cook....said to put salt on after done cooking. Agree or disagree?
I wouldn't worry about it pulling juices out during the cook. oil/salt/pepper right about 15 mins before going in the pan... you're good to go. If you have a good steak, and you don't pierce the steak with a fork, and make sure you let it rest before cutting into it... it will be plenty juicy. Don't worry about it.
Thanks. Excited to give this a whirl tonight, but after reading through this entire thread now worried about the "smoke" it might create. I live in a 1BR condo building with touchy smoke alarms...is this going to be a problem during the 60 seconds of searing portion in the above directions?
I'd open a window or two...it's going to create enough smoke to be annoying. Steaks cooked this way taste amazing.

:goodposting:

Got a CIS for Xmas, been trying to perfect my frittata technique ever since.

Cooking up some New York Strips Alton Brown style tonight. Great thread!

Just read an article in Cook's Illustrated about how to season Cast Iron. A reader wrote in her method and they tried it and said it was amazing.She used Saffron oil, then did the normal seasoning process, oil the skillet, wipe out excess, cook for an hour upside down in the oven. But she did that 5 times. When they tried it, they said it not only had a perfect, smooth black coating, but they washed it in a dishwasher 5 times with no degradation whatsoever. I'm going to try it on mine.
I'm so doing this this weekend since we're going to be snowed in anyway. :mellow:
I messed up my original quote, so make sure you use Flaxseed oil. I'm not even sure if there is a Saffron oil :banned:Also, one thing I forgot that was in the article was:Warm the skillet for 20 minutes before applying oil to "open up the pores".
If you warm up the CIS first, how do you get the oil on? It doesn't just sizzle and pop and burn the crap out of your hand as you're trying to apply it??

Tried the Alton method with a set of New York strips last night and wasn't a big fan. I ended up throwing them on the grill for a minute or so afterwards.

I did the Alton Brown steaks last week and they were awesome. Santa brought me a 9" CIS, bit small with 6 in the family but will be perfect when only one or two want something instead of warming up the big one.

I use my 12' CIS at least 3 times a week. Regardless of steak, bacon n eggs, etc, it's all awesome. I now need a Cast Iron Pot for my beans.

Just read an article in Cook's Illustrated about how to season Cast Iron. A reader wrote in her method and they tried it and said it was amazing.She used Flaxseed oil, then did the normal seasoning process, oil the skillet, wipe out excess, cook for an hour upside down in the oven. But she did that 5 times. When they tried it, they said it not only had a perfect, smooth black coating, but they washed it in a dishwasher 5 times with no degradation whatsoever. I'm going to try it on mine.
:thumbdown:

I made this cornbread last night thanks you you people. I took a mixture of the two recipes in here, and some cornbread recipes I found on the internet.

First time making anything like this, and it turned out very tasty.

CORNBREAD

GB all of you.
Oh, that looks good.
:confused: I'd like to see the recipe
Here is my "recipe":I used a 12 inch skillet cause that's what I have. I'm sure the other sizes will work but you would need more or less batter. Thus makes just the right amount for the 12 inch. I have seasoned with vegetable oil a few times because "pre-seasoned" still made a lot of smoke for me.

Dry Ingredients:

2 cups yellow cornmeal

½ cup flour sifted

1 teaspoon salt 

1 tablespoon sugar 

2 teaspoons baking powder 

Wet Ingredients:

1 cup buttermilk 

½ can cup creamed corn 

½ cup sour cream

2 tbsp honey

Some hot sauce (I poured kind of a lot in, but couldnt really taste it, but I am kind of immune to hot sauce at this point)

½ can drained green chilies (more if you like)

2 eggs 

½ stick of butter – melted

¾ cup grated cheddar cheese (hold till end of mixing)

2 tablespoons canola oil for the skillet

To make it:

1. Mix wet ingredients together in large bowl.

2. Whisk in dry ingredients. Stir in cheese when everything else is mixed.

3. Preheat oven to 425°F. Heat cast iron skillet in oven until hot, approximately 15 minutes.

4. When hot, oil pan with canola oil. Don't burn yourself.

5. Pour batter into pan.

6. Bake until golden brown at top edges and firmly set, approximately 20-25 minutes until it's moist, but firm to the touch.

7. Let it cool in the pan.

8. I cut in slices like pizza and ate it with chili.

I hope this helps someone. This is a great thread and I'm looking forward to more cooking in the skillet. The Blondes & Bubbas already have me cooking up steaks in there so I hope to build a list of things I can cook in there.

I made this cornbread last night thanks you you people. I took a mixture of the two recipes in here, and some cornbread recipes I found on the internet.

CORNBREAD

GB all of you.
Oh, that looks good.
:lmao: I'd like to see the recipe
Here is my "recipe":I used a 12 inch skillet cause that's what I have. I'm sure the other sizes will work but you would need more or less batter. Thus makes just the right amount for the 12 inch. I have seasoned with vegetable oil a few times because "pre-seasoned" still made a lot of smoke for me.

Dry Ingredients:

2 cups yellow cornmeal

½ cup flour sifted

1 teaspoon salt 

1 tablespoon sugar 

Wet Ingredients:

1 cup buttermilk 

½ can cup creamed corn 

½ cup sour cream

2 tbsp honey

Some hot sauce (I poured kind of a lot in, but couldnt really taste it, but I am kind of immune to hot sauce at this point)

2 eggs 

To make it:

3. Preheat oven to 425°F. Heat cast iron skillet in oven until hot, approximately 15 minutes.

5. Pour batter into pan.

6. Bake until golden brown at top edges and firmly set, approximately 20-25 minutes until it's moist, but firm to the touch.

I hope this helps someone. This is a great thread and I'm looking forward to more cooking in the skillet. The Blondes & Bubbas already have me cooking up steaks in there so I hope to build a list of things I can cook in there.
:) If you ever want a really rich, dessert-like cornbread, google "Redstone cornbread." Good stuff but very sweet/rich/awful for your health.

tonight i used my infused olive oil on some random slices of beef. salt n pepper. seared each side, then in the oven for 10 minutes @ 400. Success.

Just read an article in Cook's Illustrated about how to season Cast Iron. A reader wrote in her method and they tried it and said it was amazing.She used Saffron oil, then did the normal seasoning process, oil the skillet, wipe out excess, cook for an hour upside down in the oven. But she did that 5 times. When they tried it, they said it not only had a perfect, smooth black coating, but they washed it in a dishwasher 5 times with no degradation whatsoever. I'm going to try it on mine.
I'm so doing this this weekend since we're going to be snowed in anyway. :goodposting:
I messed up my original quote, so make sure you use Flaxseed oil. I'm not even sure if there is a Saffron oil :useless:Also, one thing I forgot that was in the article was:Warm the skillet for 20 minutes before applying oil to "open up the pores".
If you warm up the CIS first, how do you get the oil on? It doesn't just sizzle and pop and burn the crap out of your hand as you're trying to apply it??
I said warm, not heat up to 400%. Rub it around with a paper towel or something like that.

I'm so doing this this weekend since we're going to be snowed in anyway. :towelwave:
I messed up my original quote, so make sure you use Flaxseed oil. I'm not even sure if there is a Saffron oil :goodposting:Also, one thing I forgot that was in the article was:Warm the skillet for 20 minutes before applying oil to "open up the pores".
:banned: Thanks!
Did you ever try this?

Couple questions for the knowledgeable:

a) I've made steaks and cornbread in the cast iron skillet. Both have been excellent. What else would be a good thing to try in it?

b) What do people cook in dutch ovens?

I'm so doing this this weekend since we're going to be snowed in anyway. :grad:
I messed up my original quote, so make sure you use Flaxseed oil. I'm not even sure if there is a Saffron oil :lmao:Also, one thing I forgot that was in the article was:Warm the skillet for 20 minutes before applying oil to "open up the pores".
:blackdot: Thanks!
Did you ever try this?
Not yet. Haven't made it to 'Whole Paycheck' (Whole Foods) for flaxseed oil yet.However, I made some scrumptious hoe cakes for breakfast today. :lmao:

Couple questions for the knowledgeable:a) I've made steaks and cornbread in the cast iron skillet. Both have been excellent. What else would be a good thing to try in it?b) What do people cook in dutch ovens?
b) I make all my chili and, tonight, I am making a lamb tagine that just smells incredible. All stews and such items I make in my dutch oven. I think it's probably my most used pot in the house.

Couple questions for the knowledgeable:a) I've made steaks and cornbread in the cast iron skillet. Both have been excellent. What else would be a good thing to try in it?b) What do people cook in dutch ovens?
b) I make all my chili and, tonight, I am making a lamb tagine that just smells incredible. All stews and such items I make in my dutch oven. I think it's probably my most used pot in the house.
I'm struggling to get my wife to use the dutch oven, she'll make potato soup and not use it :goodposting:

Just got my first CIS. Just a 10" (don't have kids). Super excited.

Still breaking it in. Just cornbread and eggs/sausage (forgot to pick up bacon) so far.

I got the Lodge pre-seasoned kind, but I wish I'd have just gotten a 50 year old used one. I imagine it'll be a long time before my new one can replicate the flavor and seasoning of a good used one.

Before I bought this fine piece of equipment (12" Lodge), I was weary about it supposedly being stick-free without the use of cooking spray. I still find it difficult to cook eggs or even bacon in it without having them stick, but the steak tips came out amazing. Any tips on seasoning this thing to make the surface easier to work with? I had read that you're supposed to rub some oil into it, then bake it in the oven for awhile, then just never use soap or any abrasive cleaners on it. I found this to be almost completely ineffective. Everything still stuck to it, and I would inevitably have to scrub it down to get any leftover food off of it... then repeat the seasoning process, all to practically no avail.

Nonetheless, it's the manliest piece of cookware in my kitchen, and I store it right up on the stove for all to admire.
Saw the thread title and came to post this. Can't cook eggs without using a lot of oil, even bacon leaves sticky gunk. Burgers left all kind of mess stuck to the pan, by the time I had it out (using just hot water), the thing needed to be re-seasoned. Maybe I should try the flaxseed-quintuple-seasoning method mentioned, it seems like I can never get a really deep seasoning layer going, even though the majority of what I am cooking is fatty stuff.

Made some Ahi Tuna in my skillet the other night. Recipe called for it to be rubbed with a mixture of salt, coriander, paprika, cayenne and then cracked black pepper. Basically blackened with a couple of things thrown in. Cooked it rare/med rare. Awesome. And unlike a lot of the things I cook in my skillet, fairly healthy:)

I made carne asada in my my cast iron grill (the kind with ridges) and it turned out excellent.

Cooking in the cast iron is way easier for someone like myself that doesn't know how to cook.

I now am up to 4 cast iron items. 2 skillets (1 big, 1 small), 1 grill, 1 griddle.

For those of you that live in areas with Fred Meyer, they offer buy one get one free on cast iron Lodge items sometimes.

Buy some potatoes, bahama mamas, peppers, and onions.... alcohol as well. Camp out, build a bonfire and have your fun. When you wake up with the sun, chop your potatoes, peppers, onions, and bahama mamas up, and throw them in the cast iron, and then put the skillet on top of the hot coals. You'll never have a better breakfast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy some potatoes, bahama mamas, peppers, and onions.... alcohol as well. Camp out, build a bonfire and have your fun. When you wake up with the sun, chop your potatoes, peppers, onions, and bahama mamas up, and throw them in the cast iron, and then put the skillet on top of the hot coals. You'll never have a better breakfast.
Pretty sure I have heard of a drink called a Bahama Mama, but not familiar with the kind that can be chopped. What are they?

Pretty sure I have heard of a drink called a Bahama Mama, but not familiar with the kind that can be chopped. What are they?
http://www.schmidtssausageshop.com/

Picked up a skillet today and tried the steak out. Fantastic. I did discover that my 15 y/o oven mitts work like #### with this thing. What do you guys use to handle this coming out of a 500 degree oven?

Health question for anyone in the know. I generally have been bored with chicken breasts until I started cooking them in a cast iron pan. Salt pepper and canola oil (smokes at a higher temp than olive oil) high temp for about 7 minutes each side And they are fantastic. With that said anyone know how much worst for me these breasts are vs grilling because I'm cooking them in oil? Thanks an thanks to all for the helpful advice in here

Picked up a Lodge 7 quart Dutch Oven today. Going to get it seasoned and break it in with a Beef Stew I think.

Who's got a great stew recipe for me? I have found a few online, but always open to suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
'gmbacm said:
Picked up a skillet today and tried the steak out. Fantastic. I did discover that my 15 y/o oven mitts work like #### with this thing. What do you guys use to handle this coming out of a 500 degree oven?
I have a couple pairs of welders gloves

CORNBREAD

GB all of you.
Oh, that looks good.
:confused: I'd like to see the recipe

Dry Ingredients:

2 cups yellow cornmeal

½ cup flour sifted

1 teaspoon salt 

1 tablespoon sugar 

Wet Ingredients:

1 cup buttermilk 

½ can cup creamed corn 

½ cup sour cream

2 tbsp honey

2 eggs 

To make it:

5. Pour batter into pan.

Going over to a friend's place tomorrow. He's smoking some ribs, so I'm gonna make this recipe as a side.

Just seasoning my first. Is this the official thread? no recipes?

so far i got 3 corn bread recipes, 1 fish, and 1 ribeye....

Users who are viewing this thread