What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cat talk/advice - all meow, all the time (1 Viewer)

Does anyone have advice / experience concerning the acclimation of an existing cat to a newcomer, and vice versa?

This morning, I was out by the interstate with a local group picking up litter. Heard a cat's cry, and found the most adorable, fluffy grey kitten shivering in the ditch. Long story short, I took the cat home. We already have an awesome 11-month old grey tabby, but I'm not sure how she will react to the newcomer. The tabby was born in a house with dogs and other animals, but hasn't been around them for 8-9 months. Especially since the new kitten is SO tiny (my guess is a month old at the very most), it'd be easy for the tabby to do some damage if it wanted to. I've read some articles on the subject, any advice you guys can offer? Thanks in advance. :)

Start separated with slow acclimation, startig at happy feeding time with separate bowls.

Good for you for the rescues :thumbup:
Thanks! The new kitten is currently in isolation until its vet appointment on Monday, then I'll probably try to start the acclimation process. Seems to be in very good health though, much better than what I'd expect from a kitten abandoned in a roadside ditch. Very accustomed to humans - has been curling up with everyone, including the smaller kids (who sometimes spook the other cat). Pic

Last edited by a moderator:
Start separated with slow acclimation, startig at happy feeding time with separate bowls.Good for you for the rescues :thumbup:
Thanks! The new kitten is currently in isolation until its vet appointment on Monday, then I'll probably try to start the acclimation process. Seems to be in very good health though, much better than what I'd expect from a kitten abandoned in a roadside ditch. Very accustomed to humans - has been curling up with everyone, including the smaller kids (who sometimes spook the other cat). Pic
Holy #### that little guys cute. I can see how you couldn't say no.

Start separated with slow acclimation, startig at happy feeding time with separate bowls.

OMFG. :wub:

One thing you've probably read on acclimatization but I'll mention here: if you have a place where they can see each other but not interact - a glass door to a patio or such - it's great to let them do that as part of the process. Also, put something that smells like the one cat (a toy they've played with, a cat bed they've lain on, or even a towel you rub on the kitty) in with the other cat, and vice versa.

Hmph, I guess that was two things.

Congratulations! You are now the proud owner of Nermal, the World's Cutest Kitten.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! He/she has been a huge hit with all the (human) members of our household so far.

OMFG. :wub:

One thing you've probably read on acclimatization but I'll mention here: if you have a place where they can see each other but not interact - a glass door to a patio or such - it's great to let them do that as part of the process. Also, put something that smells like the one cat (a toy they've played with, a cat bed they've lain on, or even a towel you rub on the kitty) in with the other cat, and vice versa.

Hmph, I guess that was two things.
I've read that about the visual introduction, but I'm not sure I have anything that would fit the bill. One article suggested a baby gate, but even the tallest baby gate we own would be easily cleared by the tabby. Our back door to the patio has white paneling that would cover up the tiny kitten. In our house, it's pretty much all open doorways or totally opaque doors. I'm definitely planning on doing the smell transfer, some of that has most likely begun already with all the family members petting both cats frequently today.

Hopefully we can get this to go smoothly, but I'm thinking the tabby might be a tough nut to crack. She only saw the new kitten once today (when we first brought her downstairs), and was very edgy the rest of the day - seemed more scared than aggressive though, so hopefully she settles down.

Vet visit today went well - it's a little boy, about 4-5 weeks old. A bit underweight, so we got a kitten supplement to sprinkle in his food.

Started visual acclimation today between him and the tabby by feeding them both at the same place. The tabby totally lost interest in her food once she saw the new addition. Was not aggressive towards him at all, but stared at him the whole time and would hiss if he got too close. The kitten was unfazed by it all. The encouraging thing is that over the course of the visit, it took more and more for the tabby to hiss. Initially, she would hiss if the kitten got within a foot. Eventually, the kitten had to be sniffing her face for a few seconds to trigger a hiss. Long way to go yet, but hopefully we can continue to progress. :thumbup:

Vet visit today went well - it's a little boy, about 4-5 weeks old. A bit underweight, so we got a kitten supplement to sprinkle in his food.

Started visual acclimation today between him and the tabby by feeding them both at the same place. The tabby totally lost interest in her food once she saw the new addition. Was not aggressive towards him at all, but stared at him the whole time and would hiss if he got too close. The kitten was unfazed by it all. The encouraging thing is that over the course of the visit, it took more and more for the tabby to hiss. Initially, she would hiss if the kitten got within a foot. Eventually, the kitten had to be sniffing her face for a few seconds to trigger a hiss. Long way to go yet, but hopefully we can continue to progress. :thumbup:
That is great news, and a very quick positive start to acclimatization. Of course, I, like everyone here, was hoping for a bad experience so that we can have kitten instead. ;) OK, not really. Glad it's going well. Do you have a name for new little boy yet?

That is great news, and a very quick positive start to acclimatization. Of course, I, like everyone here, is hoping for a bad experience so that we can have kitten instead. ;) OK, not really. Glad it's going well. Do you have a name for new little boy yet?
lol! For the name, we seem to have settled on Moose. He was found during the world series, so if it turned out to be a boy, we wanted his name to have a connection to the Royals. Moose is the nickname of our 3rd baseman, Mike Moustakas. Everyone seems to be on board with the name, which is nice because there was quite a debate over potential female names. The funny thing is that we had the opposite problem with the tabby - a consensus female name (Chloe), but lots of different ideas for a boy name.

That is great news, and a very quick positive start to acclimatization. Of course, I, like everyone here, is hoping for a bad experience so that we can have kitten instead. ;) OK, not really. Glad it's going well. Do you have a name for new little boy yet?
lol! For the name, we seem to have settled on Moose. He was found during the world series, so if it turned out to be a boy, we wanted his name to have a connection to the Royals. Moose is the nickname of our 3rd baseman, Mike Moustakas. Everyone seems to be on board with the name, which is nice because there was quite a debate over potential female names. The funny thing is that we had the opposite problem with the tabby - a consensus female name (Chloe), but lots of different ideas for a boy name.
He actually looks like a "Moose" to me for some reason. Great name. :)

Moose goes perfectly with that pic.

Sounds like a good start with the other cat too. I think its a little better that chloe is a girl... IME boys can be total #######s.

So I tell my wife..."you're not going to believe this, but you know that Footballguys msg board site I'm on? Well, it has a thread where the members only talk about cats....and it's 12 pages long". :P then I showed her the picture of Moose (black kitten) and she was jealous.

Anyways, great to read the stories so far, my condolences to those who have lost loved ones as it's always hard, and I wanted to ask a question to the group. So we have 2 cats:

Zoey is a 10 yr old female Siemese........extremely mellow, very affectionate, obsessed about food (incl people food which we don't feed her). This isn't a photo of her but it represents her personality: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/179229260146092198/

and then there is Jaxson, our 4 yr old male Snow Leopard Bengal. Very affectionate, likes to be in the same room as people, TONS of personality, loves water, very set in his ways, likes to jump on the plant shelves. But one habit in particular is very annoying.....He will HOWL at the top of his lungs and it is so loud you can hear it no matter where you are in the house. Now, I have to admit.....it is somewhat cute, but it can be downright annoying when he does it during the night. We've seen nearly every episode of "My Cat from Hell" with Jackson Galaxy and know the basics of what to look for, playing with them to tire them out at night, etc.......but we can't seem to get him to stop the howling and it's annoying when he wakes us up. FYI: I am very familiar with Bengals by now and know that they can be loud and have very strong personalities. Heck, it took him almost 3 yrs to mature and calm down as he would be constantly chasing our other cat around the house and she was always pissed at him. Also he is an indoor cat, neutered, and there are no cats roaming around outside our house b/c he howls at all different times of the day...and night.

In order to help solve this or "train him", I've even looked into buying this: http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Anti-Bark-Spray-Collar-Citronella/dp/B000H3VAQ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1446604441&sr=8-2&keywords=citrus+dog+collar

I would never buy a shock collar.....but this might just work...........Any thoughts out there?

If you want to see pictures of them, link to a folder: http://tinypic.com/a/ux3z6/1

But I'm sure this photo will get the most attention: http://i66.tinypic.com/fu9tef.jpg

(I can assure you it is 100% a real photo and the story behind it is that one day, I was watching the Masters Golf tournament and went to the Kitchen and came back to find him on the couch sitting like that. I did place my beer next to him before snapping the picture, but he is actually watching the TV & didn't move for the longest time)

Nemesis said:
So I tell my wife..."you're not going to believe this, but you know that Footballguys msg board site I'm on? Well, it has a thread where the members only talk about cats....and it's 12 pages long". :P then I showed her the picture of Moose (black kitten) and she was jealous.

Anyways, great to read the stories so far, my condolences to those who have lost loved ones as it's always hard, and I wanted to ask a question to the group. So we have 2 cats:

Zoey is a 10 yr old female Siemese........extremely mellow, very affectionate, obsessed about food (incl people food which we don't feed her). Basically, this isn't her but it represents her: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/179229260146092198/

and then there is Jaxson, our 4 yr old male Snow Leopard Bengal. Very affectionate, likes to be in the same room as people, TONS of personality, loves water, very set in his ways, likes to jump on the plant shelves. But one habit in particular is very annoying.....He will HOWL at the top of his lungs and it is so loud you can hear it no matter where you are in the house. Now, I have to admit.....it is somewhat cute, but it can be downright annoying when he does it during the night. We've seen nearly every episode of "My Cat from Hell" with Jackson Galaxy and know the basics of what to look for, playing with them to tire them out at night, etc.......but we can't seem to get him to stop the howling and it's annoying when he wakes us up. FYI: I am very familiar with Bengals by now and know that they can be loud and have very strong personalities. Heck, it took him almost 3 yrs to mature and calm down as he would be constantly chasing our other cat around the house and she was always pissed at him. Also he is an indoor cat, neutered, and there are no cats roaming around outside our house b/c he howls at all different times of the day...and night.

In order to help solve this or "train him", I've even looked into buying this:

http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Anti-Bark-Spray-Collar-Citronella/dp/B000H3VAQ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1446604441&sr=8-2&keywords=citrus+dog+collar

I would never buy a shock collar.....but this might just work...........Any thoughts out there?

If you want to see pictures, I'm hoping this link to the entire folder works: http://tinypic.com/a/ux3z6/1 (let me know if it doesn't as I can link separately).

But I'm sure this photo will get the most attention: http://i66.tinypic.com/fu9tef.jpg

(I can assure you it is 100% a real photo and the story behind is that one day, I was watching the Master Golf tournament and went to the Kitchen and came back to find him on the couch sitting like that. I did place my beer next to him before snapping the picture, but he is actually watching the TV & didn't move for the longest time)
Swoon. :wub: Those are some beautiful (and obviously very good-natured) cats. Unfortunately I don't have suggestions for the loudness issue, as I've never had the problem. We have a cat that sometimes runs around making weird noises - not quite meowing but something else - but we find it cute. Siamese are known for being very chatty and loud, and it sounds like you got a double whammy with the other one.

yeah- I had a siamese growing up and have been around others as well. they live a long time (the ones I knew all lived to be 20) and they love to talk/howl. getting a chatty bengal... agree with K4- double whammy with noise there.

I've never been a pure-breed guy as an adult (only mutt rescues/strays), but thats some good looking #####.

Last night, the Bengal was at it again. :hot: Howled and woke me up around 4am....couldn't get back to sleep for quite some time so I finally got up and noticed that their food bowl was empty. Filled it up and they both came running. Finally went back to sleep after that.

This morning, I told my wife "that cat isn't getting a nap during the day today, so please wake him up every chance you get. And then I am going to wear him out tonight before bedtime" :boxing:

Nemesis said:

Zoey is a 10 yr old female Siemese........extremely mellow, very affectionate, obsessed about food (incl people food which we don't feed her). This isn't a photo of her but it represents her personality: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/179229260146092198/

In order to help solve this or "train him", I've even looked into buying this: http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Anti-Bark-Spray-Collar-Citronella/dp/B000H3VAQ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1446604441&sr=8-2&keywords=citrus+dog+collar

If you want to see pictures of them, link to a folder: http://tinypic.com/a/ux3z6/1

(I can assure you it is 100% a real photo and the story behind it is that one day, I was watching the Masters Golf tournament and went to the Kitchen and came back to find him on the couch sitting like that. I did place my beer next to him before snapping the picture, but he is actually watching the TV & didn't move for the longest time)
That's crazy. We have a siamese and a bengal and they are very similar in nature as how you describe their personalities. The siamese is female, is only 2 years old and is obsessed with food. The bengal just turned two and he howls after we bring him from being out on the deck and playing in the roof top planters. He loves to be outside more than anything else. I've posted some other pics on here, but we have a similar combo. :thumbup:

The only odd thing with our siamese is that she is super quiet and makes almost no noise, but she purrs all the time. weird.

That's crazy. We have a siamese and a bengal and they are very similar in nature as how you describe their personalities. The siamese is female, is only 2 years old and is obsessed with food. The bengal just turned two and he howls after we bring him from being out on the deck and playing in the roof top planters. He loves to be outside more than anything else. I've posted some other pics on here, but we have a similar combo. :thumbup:

Here they are: http://youtu.be/8ztVr1nxlPk

She's gone from being beaten up to attacking him.

The only odd thing with our siamese is that she is super quiet and makes almost no noise, but she purrs all the time. weird.
Urban: I went back & found your video link. Saw that your Bengal is a Marble and your Siamese is more silver (less tan coloring). Very cool.

Before the Bengalcat, we had a male tabby and our Siamese took a back seat to him and was super quiet. But after he passed away at 15, our Siamese finally found her "voice" and is very chatty now. Usually is more of a chirp than a meow to get our attention (especially when the food bowl is nearing empty)

Well, one week later, I think we're making progress in acclimation. I've been giving Chloe and Moose 20-30 minute daily "playdates," and while there's no more hissing, it's turned into chasing and swiping. Hopefully this means they're getting a bit more comfortable with each other, I'd like to set Moose "free" as soon as possible...Can't be too enjoyable being pent up in one room for most of the day.

ETA: In the meantime, the two main projects with Moose have been teaching him not to bite, and teaching him to use the litter box. He loves playing with hands/feet, and while it's adorable now, it'll start hurting pretty soon. I finally found a toy that he seems to like (feather-covered jingle ball hanging from a stick) and have been using it to divert him when he's being feisty.

His litter box usage (or lack thereof) is a conundrum. He clearly knows what it's for, but only uses it about 50% of the time. The other 50%, it's no more than 6 inches away from the litter box. I read that relieving next to the box could mean that he thinks it's too dirty, but even after I scoop it, he sometimes poops right next to it. With a few exceptions, most of the pee seems to make it in the box.

Our cat is rediculous. She loves being outside and begs to go out. Comes home for food and water and attention as she sees fit, but hates being trapped in the house. We decided to keep her in at night to stay warm safe and let her explore outside all day. Anyone else have a cat like this?

Well, one week later, I think we're making progress in acclimation. I've been giving Chloe and Moose 20-30 minute daily "playdates," and while there's no more hissing, it's turned into chasing and swiping. Hopefully this means they're getting a bit more comfortable with each other, I'd like to set Moose "free" as soon as possible...Can't be too enjoyable being pent up in one room for most of the day.

ETA: In the meantime, the two main projects with Moose have been teaching him not to bite, and teaching him to use the litter box. He loves playing with hands/feet, and while it's adorable now, it'll start hurting pretty soon. I finally found a toy that he seems to like (feather-covered jingle ball hanging from a stick) and have been using it to divert him when he's being feisty.

His litter box usage (or lack thereof) is a conundrum. He clearly knows what it's for, but only uses it about 50% of the time. The other 50%, it's no more than 6 inches away from the litter box. I read that relieving next to the box could mean that he thinks it's too dirty, but even after I scoop it, he sometimes poops right next to it. With a few exceptions, most of the pee seems to make it in the box.
If you do get a second litter box, try a different type of litter as some cats are picky. Also, some cats don't like covered litter boxes so consider that too.

Our cat is rediculous. She loves being outside and begs to go out. Comes home for food and water and attention as she sees fit, but hates being trapped in the house. We decided to keep her in at night to stay warm safe and let her explore outside all day. Anyone else have a cat like this?
Please don't do this. Cats like this live shorter lives. They catch and spread diseases, get hit by cars, and attacked by other animals. They also kill birds and other wildlife that are already under environmental pressure. Give your cat more to do, or maybe a companion.

Please don't do this. Cats like this live shorter lives. They catch and spread diseases, get hit by cars, and attacked by other animals. They also kill birds and other wildlife that are already under environmental pressure. Give your cat more to do, or maybe a companion.
That's my exact dilemma. We try to keep her indoors and she continues to beg to go out. The only compromise I can't think of is letting her out during the day and then bringing her in at the end of the day, or forcing her to come in to eat. Am I okay to just make her remain an indoor cat 100%? She was a stray that we brought in and took to the vet, cleaned up, and made part of the family.

Isn't that called the Al Bundy?

Guys sitting at the couch, watching the TV, beer in one hand, other hand down the pants

That's my exact dilemma. We try to keep her indoors and she continues to beg to go out. The only compromise I can't think of is letting her out during the day and then bringing her in at the end of the day, or forcing her to come in to eat. Am I okay to just make her remain an indoor cat 100%? She was a stray that we brought in and took to the vet, cleaned up, and made part of the family.
If you make her an indoor cat, keep her occupied otherwise she is going to drive you nuts. Here are 3 toys that we use with our cats and they love them:

Da Bird (watch the videos): http://www.amazon.com/Super-Bird-Full-Single-Pole/dp/B0089MQZD2/ref=sr_1_4?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1447003710&sr=1-4&keywords=da+bird+cat+catcher+cat+toy (it's a good idea to buy refill birds b/c my cats destroy the feathers over time)

Cat Dancer rainbow wand: http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Dancer-301-Charmer-Interactive/dp/B0002DHV16/ref=sr_1_9?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1447003710&sr=1-9&keywords=da+bird+cat+catcher+cat+toy

Cat Dancer Catnip on a wire: http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Dancer-101-Interactive-Toy/dp/B0006N9I68/ref=pd_sim_199_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=514sVANDnsL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR103%2C160_&refRID=1Y9PC0DX1QHQ5E4KD961

Be prepared that your cat might not like any or all 3 but find something. Another suggestion is to use the cat toys at night before your bedtime to burn off any extra energy they might have. We put the Da Bird in a closet and only bring it out when it's time to play. (and my Bengal even knows the word "Bird" because he will run to the closet when he recognizes that word). We also have woken up and found the Cat Dancer wand dropped on our bed as "a suggestion".

With all due respect, this is a decision that is not nearly so clear as you state. First and foremost, everything depends upon circumstance. Typical american suburb is going to be a lot more dangerous than more country type locales. Second, how much room and attention does the cat get at home?

Because I can absolutely accept that some cats may have happier and more fulfilled lives, even if there are more associated risks, by being allowed to roam free.

We can't put on cats human sensibilities - they are cats. Wild animals that make great companions. To simply dismiss the concept of indoor / outdoor cat is, imo, short sighted and looking at it from only your perspective.

FWIW, I have two indoor only (unless the one escapes, which means 15-30 min traipsing around in the front yard, coming by to rub against my leg but then go before I can grab her, until we get back inside a few min later) cats as of now. Although we are far from really busy roads, that what my wife and I decided was best, in this case. Growing up, my cats were all indoor outdoor with generally great results. Now, this was an area without much traffic and a large yard front and back (more like a forest) and indoor/outdoor dogs - fenced of course, but they all made sorta an extended family.

pretty much with Koya here.

here in lower NYC, we trained our cat to go to the bodega on the corner wearing a basket for sundries. wihtout the cat door, we'd never re-up our supply of tennis balls and potato chips.

btw- 4yo Floppinho is still daily asking about Chippy cat and now wanting him to pick out a new kitten for us (from heaven).

we are looking at christmas for said kitten from heaven. or kittenS.

eta: pretty sure buds' kitten pic has pushed me over the edge,

With all due respect, this is a decision that is not nearly so clear as you state. First and foremost, everything depends upon circumstance. Typical american suburb is going to be a lot more dangerous than more country type locales. Second, how much room and attention does the cat get at home?

Because I can absolutely accept that some cats may have happier and more fulfilled lives, even if there are more associated risks, by being allowed to roam free.

We can't put on cats human sensibilities - they are cats. Wild animals that make great companions. To simply dismiss the concept of indoor / outdoor cat is, imo, short sighted and looking at it from only your perspective.

FWIW, I have two indoor only (unless the one escapes, which means 15-30 min traipsing around in the front yard, coming by to rub against my leg but then go before I can grab her, until we get back inside a few min later) cats as of now. Although we are far from really busy roads, that what my wife and I decided was best, in this case. Growing up, my cats were all indoor outdoor with generally great results. Now, this was an area without much traffic and a large yard front and back (more like a forest) and indoor/outdoor dogs - fenced of course, but they all made sorta an extended family.
Not even close. I did suggest keeping the cat more engaged, but none of the things you say excuse endangering birds, lizards, frogs, etc that are already under pressure from other sources. Those animals have just as much right to life as the cat. And the cat has a right to proper ownership.

And letting the cat out "just during the day" seem to imply that all other animals are nocturnal, so there's no harm. That's just not true at all.

Mrs. Rannous is right here. It's just not even debatable.

'yokel, I appreciate very much that you're trying to do the right thing for your cat. It's possible that the cat will initially be bored or "drive you crazy" by being indoors 100% of the time, but I love the suggestions nemesis gave you. Another thing that could help keep her occupied is a companion kitty, though of course you might not want another cat so that's just a personal decision. Keep her occupied and safe indoors, and she'll have (on average) a much longer life. Good luck!

btw- 4yo Floppinho is still daily asking about Chippy cat and now wanting him to pick out a new kitten for us (from heaven).

we are looking at christmas for said kitten from heaven. or kittenS.

eta: pretty sure buds' kitten pic has pushed me over the edge,
I was wondering how long it would take you to get a new kitty. :)

Thanks all for the input, folks. I felt bad "forcing" her to stay in but I think the trade off is worth it. We have a large property and are out of the city but I'm most concerned about her quality of life (elements, disease, predators) and will deal with her snobbish disdain knowing that it's for her own good. I'm totally fine with her wandering outside with me when I work the garden, etc so she can still explore then.

Just a small update - after a questionable first couple of weeks, Chloe and Moose seem to have become best friends. Also, Christmas is decidedly their favorite season...Between naps under the tree, playing with ornaments, and eating/tearing wrapping paper, they're having a blast. Hot chocolate had to be delayed the other day because Chloe ran off with the bag of marshmallows and hid them under the bed. :lmao:

Asleep together after a long session of destroying the tree

Just a small update - after a questionable first couple of weeks, Chloe and Moose seem to have become best friends. Also, Christmas is decidedly their favorite season...Between naps under the tree, playing with ornaments, and eating/tearing wrapping paper, they're having a blast. Hot chocolate had to be delayed the other day because Chloe ran off with the bag of marshmallows and hid them under the bed. :lmao:

Asleep together after a long session of destroying the tree
:wub: :lmao: :wub:

Are you kidding me? Cutest things ever.

I had a neighbor whose cat was prone to UTIs all the time. So much so that the poor guy, who loved his cat a great deal, changed veterinarian after veterinarian and ultimately chanced upon one whose advice seemed to work: The doctor said the cat needs, over and above anything else, more and more water to stay hydrated. That is the key to preventing urinary tract infections in felines. If your cat is fond of eating more of canned food, then you ought to add extra water to the canned food before your cat consumes it. Moreover, a grain-free brand of food would be ideal for your cat. And as cats just refuse to drink plain water, one has to make their food more hydrated in order to increase the water intake in these pets.

Users who are viewing this thread