What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cat talk/advice - all meow, all the time (3 Viewers)

We already know he has cancer... tomorrow is the apt w oncologist to learn what our options are.

From the online research we've done, things aren't looking good. But we'll see tomorrow.

Chip gets profoundly car sick, so I'm going to push him in our kids stroller (in his cat case). He doesnt seem to mind this method

And yeah. We know how to navigate yelp. You start hearing a recurring Ieitmotif, and its worth being aware of at the least.

And yeah. We know how to navigate yelp. You start hearing a recurring Ieitmotif, and its worth being aware of at the least.
OK, crankmaster. I understand you're stressed but was just trying to make you feel better--won't bother again. And the point was that you said yesterday that his appointment with the oncologist was today so I thought something had happened; see below.

My cat, Charlie, is having an issue with his left ear right now. I took him to the vet Monday and yesterday. I treated him for a yeast infection in his ears about three weeks ago and it cleared up, but his left ear is bothering him. He isn't himself, and he keeps tilting his head to the left and flipping that left ear. He growls too, and he is in obvious pain. The vet can't find anything wrong that she can visually see. She put him on Synotic for a week incase the middle ear is inflammed. If that doesn't work I'm going to ask her to do xrays. I feel like she doesn't realize the discomfort he is in. He growled at her when she was checking him over again, but she might have chalked his growling up to being mad that she stuck a thermometer up his ### to take his temperature. Anyway, he isn't any better today. :(
Feel better Chuck!
I had to send him to the other side of the rainbow this morning. He had a brain tumor, and he went downhill so fast. He was such a great cat and friend. I'll love him forever. :cry:
:(

so sorry, simey. ####. ####. ####.

we had one tumor removed, but chip's new tumor on his upper gums is visibly growing so fast... I don't even want to think about it. we see the oncologist tomorrow. :(
TPW to you, Chip and the family in any case. Go, go Chip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought some cat food today and Li'l Miss Suzie Lou (my dog with the dubious DNA) has mixed emotions. On the plus side there's going to be a big fat Sylvester cat hopping onto the porch to chow down; alas, there will also be a glass door separating the two.

Backstory: Apartment dwellers next door bought a home and moved out, and left behind big cat. In fairness, the cat was here before they ever moved in; but still, they fed it and brought it in on cold winter days. How hard is it to pack the cat and migrate it to your new porch?

My dog now insists on me opening the porch door, often, so that she may inspect the Rubbermaids.

My cat, Charlie, is having an issue with his left ear right now. I took him to the vet Monday and yesterday. I treated him for a yeast infection in his ears about three weeks ago and it cleared up, but his left ear is bothering him. He isn't himself, and he keeps tilting his head to the left and flipping that left ear. He growls too, and he is in obvious pain. The vet can't find anything wrong that she can visually see. She put him on Synotic for a week incase the middle ear is inflammed. If that doesn't work I'm going to ask her to do xrays. I feel like she doesn't realize the discomfort he is in. He growled at her when she was checking him over again, but she might have chalked his growling up to being mad that she stuck a thermometer up his ### to take his temperature. Anyway, he isn't any better today. :(
Feel better Chuck!
I had to send him to the other side of the rainbow this morning. He had a brain tumor, and he went downhill so fast. He was such a great cat and friend. I'll love him forever. :cry:
Damn, this thread sucks sometimes. So sorry. :(

Sorry to hear the news Simey.

Up until now I have thought of my dog as an overgrown puppy, but she's six years-old now and starting to mellow a little. I hate to imagine life without her, but the thought has crept into my mind recently.

Feel better Chuck!
Damn, this thread sucks sometimes. So sorry. :(

Thanks to everyone. Charlie got to go outside for about an hour almost every day. He had to be chaperoned since he was a roamer and wanted to beat up the neighbor's cat. That arrangement seemed to be ok with him. He loved to show that he still had tree climbing skills. I never had my phone with me to take a video of when he would scale up a tree about 20 feet, and then come back down. I did get him on my phone camcorder attacking some monkey grass. He attacked it every time he would pass by it. Here is a short somewhat blurry video of him doing it. He had already attacked it some before I got the camcorder going, but he went back for more. It isn't blurry on the small version on my phone. Charlie vs Monkey Grass

Good luck with Chip today, Floppy.
thanks gb. love that vid of charlie- ####### monkey grass had it coming... charlie looked like a guy full of personality.

re: chip...

we decided to go to our local vet to have the tumor addressed by somebody we trust. felt like the combination of chips advanced age (14ish) and decreased quality of life under radiation or drastic surgery (jaw removal) along- sadly- with price for all of that also took us away from seriously pursuing the oncology route. it's really not looking good- we had three options at the vet: take him home and let the tumor take him (likely very soon), euthanize him on the spot, de-bulk the tumor and roll the dice with the outcome.

after a lot of tears, we chose the latter- felt like he's been in good enough health/mood outside of the tumor (which has grown- I hate to use the word after the ebola thread- but, exponentially in the last week) and wanted to give him another shot at comfort.... even though it may/likely won't last long. we also got an estimate for a home visit for euthanasia. at best we're hoping the surgery today will get him comfortable until it's time for him. ####. :( I have to get work done today, but this is ####### tearing me up.

I think we're buying time for him as much as our kids and us-

eta:

we still don't know how to talk to our 3yo about this. I would genuinely appreciate any advice... right now we're both just balls of tears- we want to be able to talk to her in a more calm way with an organized and cohesive strategy for coping.

she's going to miss her "little buddy" :cry:

Thanks to everyone. Charlie got to go outside for about an hour almost every day. He had to be chaperoned since he was a roamer and wanted to beat up the neighbor's cat. That arrangement seemed to be ok with him. He loved to show that he still had tree climbing skills. I never had my phone with me to take a video of when he would scale up a tree about 20 feet, and then come back down. I did get him on my phone camcorder attacking some monkey grass. He attacked it every time he would pass by it. Here is a short somewhat blurry video of him doing it. He had already attacked it some before I got the camcorder going, but he went back for more. It isn't blurry on the small version on my phone. Charlie vs Monkey Grass
Beautiful Big Boy. Sorry about your loss

we still don't know how to talk to our 3yo about this. I would genuinely appreciate any advice... right now we're both just balls of tears- we want to be able to talk to her in a more calm way with an organized and cohesive strategy for coping.

she's going to miss her "little buddy" :cry:
I wish comfort, love, and complete spoiledness for all of Chip's remaining time. As for your little girl, you may want to consider reading her this book called Cat Heaven. You don't have to be religious or be a believer to find the book comforting. I love it as an adult, and I think it would make your little girl feel better when Chip passes.

chip just came out of surgery...

they got the entire tumor and he appears to be doing great. :phew:

I really didn't think he was going to make it... but he's a tough, lower east side alley cat

Our cat who we adopted at a month or so old back in October, we knew his fur was longer/fluffier than normal, but in the last couple months it's really taken off. Any recommended products for getting fur off furniture, clothes, hardwood floors, etc as best as possible, or just general tips for caring for him? I'm sweeping floors everyday.
The furminator that you guys recommended is working great in what it pulls off, but it barely makes a dent in this beast. Here's a pic of our furry guy (we adopted him from Beth Stern, Howard's wife):

Melvin

One of my 15-year-old varmints has hyperthyroidism and has gone from 15 lbs. down to 9, despite still eating like Secretariat. His brother has gained two lbs. in sympathy.

We're looking at four unappealing options for treatment.

I really didn't think he was going to make it... but he's a tough, lower east side alley cat
Now THATS what I'm talking about. So happy for you!

(Fwiw, as he is 14, this might be a good chance to start the long and nuanced 3 year old explanation of the other side. But for now, so happy Chips up and fighting. Seriously, brings a smile.)

Now THATS what I'm talking about. So happy for you!

(Fwiw, as he is 14, this might be a good chance to start the long and nuanced 3 year old explanation of the other side. But for now, so happy Chips up and fighting. Seriously, brings a smile.)
thanks gb. :thumbup: and yeah... we've started explaining that chippy is sick and old. 3yo's response... giant eyes, with giant crocodile tears... "but we're not a family without chippy-cat". :(

not doing that great- but he's not dead, so there's that. the tumor they took out was huge, and just hasn't healed yet- he's still drooling gooey,bloody drool a lot, which gets onto his fur when he tries to clean himself up, so he's a gooey-bloody mess. and it's clearly still uncomfortable aroudn the mouth. he's also noticably lower energy. pretty much a mess. but not dead. :kicksrock:

Got denied to adopt a kitten at our local animal shelter. Pulled out vet records and found we hadn't taken our cat in since late 2013. Wife and I couldn't believe it's been that long, but we wouldn't really bring him annually, unless he needed something specific. We'd definitely bring him biannually (we're planning his next one now), but he's a very healthy cat. Everyone we know thinks it's hilarious we got denied - we were kinda pissed.

One of my 15-year-old varmints has hyperthyroidism and has gone from 15 lbs. down to 9, despite still eating like Secretariat. His brother has gained two lbs. in sympathy.

:( For some reason I thought this could be treated with pills. Is that not the case?

Got denied to adopt a kitten at our local animal shelter. Pulled out vet records and found we hadn't taken our cat in since late 2013. Wife and I couldn't believe it's been that long, but we wouldn't really bring him annually, unless he needed something specific. We'd definitely bring him biannually (we're planning his next one now), but he's a very healthy cat. Everyone we know thinks it's hilarious we got denied - we were kinda pissed.
That's insane. There are good reasons not to take an indoor cat to the vet every year if there's nothing apparently wrong with him/her. And having worked in shelter adoptions for a billion years, I've never seen a denial happen for this reason. Go to a different shelter.

Good Lord..adoptable cats as far as the eye can see in this country..piss poor shelter...go somewhere else.

:( For some reason I thought this could be treated with pills. Is that not the case?

Pills (twice a day) is the current option. Needless to say, this is painful for both of us.

Supposedly there's a liquid form now. I've had better luck with that in the past.

Some kind of radio-iodine treatment is another option, but is upwards of $1,000.

Surgery is worse.

Euthanasia is not an option.

We have our first 4th of July coming up with the cats. Our neighborhood will sound like a war zone for most of the weekend. They've already heard a few that people have fired off and naturally they have been running and hiding. I'm worried about how bad it will be on Friday and Saturday night. Does anyone give their cats kitty tranquilizers or meds? Can you get these over the counter or do I need to see my vet?

urbanhack said:
We have our first 4th of July coming up with the cats. Our neighborhood will sound like a war zone for most of the weekend. They've already heard a few that people have fired off and naturally they have been running and hiding. I'm worried about how bad it will be on Friday and Saturday night. Does anyone give their cats kitty tranquilizers or meds? Can you get these over the counter or do I need to see my vet?
There are some herbal relaxation things you can get at pet stores. I've tried some of these for travel - the ones that come in treat form - with mixed results.

WampusCat43 said:

Pills (twice a day) is the current option. Needless to say, this is painful for both of us.

Supposedly there's a liquid form now. I've had better luck with that in the past.

Some kind of radio-iodine treatment is another option, but is upwards of $1,000.

Surgery is worse.

Gllll. Hope the liquid works out for you. We had a great pharmacy in Chicago that would do the liquids with chicken or other kitty-friendly flavors. Maybe you could find a place that does this?

Looking for some more advice...

One of our cats meows like crazy in the morning trying to get us up and give him attention and feed him. It never happened when we were in our old apartment, and started not long after we moved. At first it was fine because it was sort of in the course of the normal morning routine, he acted as my alarm, but over the past couple months it's gotten earlier and more frequent. It's not even like he's doing it because he's hungry...he'll meow like crazy, we'll try not to give into him for as long as we can, and then when we eventually feed him, he might only take a few bites. It's more of a "get up, #######s...I'm ready to start the day". So what used to be around 6:30am is now, especially in the last couple of weeks sometimes 6, sometimes 5:30, sometimes 4. Whatever he wants. FWIW, he's basically quiet the rest of the day.

We close our bedroom door and he meows/cries from the other side. We sleep with earplugs but still hear him eventually. We have a 2BR apt so there's not much more we can do. We can lock him and the other cat in that second room where their litter box/food/water is but we'd like to avoid that if possible, plus I'm sure I'll eventually hear the noise through the two doors and the living room.

Any tips? Is this like having a baby where we'll need to let him cry it out for a week and be miserable for that time but it can change his behavior? Greatly appreciated.

One of our cats meows like crazy in the morning trying to get us up and give him attention and feed him. It never happened when we were in our old apartment, and started not long after we moved. At first it was fine because it was sort of in the course of the normal morning routine, he acted as my alarm, but over the past couple months it's gotten earlier and more frequent. It's not even like he's doing it because he's hungry...he'll meow like crazy, we'll try not to give into him for as long as we can, and then when we eventually feed him, he might only take a few bites. It's more of a "get up, #######s...I'm ready to start the day". So what used to be around 6:30am is now, especially in the last couple of weeks sometimes 6, sometimes 5:30, sometimes 4. Whatever he wants. FWIW, he's basically quiet the rest of the day.

We close our bedroom door and he meows/cries from the other side. We sleep with earplugs but still hear him eventually. We have a 2BR apt so there's not much more we can do. We can lock him and the other cat in that second room where their litter box/food/water is but we'd like to avoid that if possible, plus I'm sure I'll eventually hear the noise through the two doors and the living room.

Any tips? Is this like having a baby where we'll need to let him cry it out for a week and be miserable for that time but it can change his behavior? Greatly appreciated.
:blackdot:

I haven't had luck with the cry it out thing- they just keep going. but that's only with two cats.

quick cat question... I have never owned a cat, but I don't hate cats, and kittens are of course, adorable.

just moved into a new house. good sized property, lots of bird action which annoys me. if I buy a cat, will it scare a lot of the birds away?

We literally have this same problem. Have pretty much given in - he's trained us very well.

captain_amazing said:

We literally have this same problem. Have pretty much given in - he's trained us very well.
Tonight will be night 3 of door closed with both of us wearing earplugs. He's been starting at like 5:15-5:30, or at least that's when I've heard it for the first time through the plugs. It's pretty minor and spotty at first, and then he really ramps it up and then kind of tires out. I was able to sleep in between and then fell back asleep and sort of overslept from 6:30-7. Plan is to stick with it through next week and see if it gets better. We're supposed to be looking after my in laws very old cat for a week starting the 4th so also hoping that the changing situation could help with this.

I definitely don't like hearing from the only two who responded that there wasn't any luck on your end. I think we're ready to have a kid just so he'll bother the baby instead of us.

My boy turned 17 this month--big Russian Blue, Even though he is looking skinny these days, he eats well--special diet of Hills K/D for kidney issues. I am guessing it is just age, but he is still 12 pounds.

Just the best cat in the world (sorry the rest of you in this thread have to fight for 2nd place :excited: )

I have been converting my two daughter's (15 and 11) camcorder tapes over to a computer HD and there is literally not a video he is not in and we frankly, are not crazy cat people. It is just amazing how much a cat can become so enmeshed in your life. He is always with us and never that aloof cat some people have. I think it is because we have always talked to him since day one.

As I sit here typing this, he is head butting me and rubbing on my beard. God I love him....

My boy turned 17 this month--big Russian Blue, Even though he is looking skinny these days, he eats well--special diet of Hills K/D for kidney issues. I am guessing it is just age, but he is still 12 pounds.

Just the best cat in the world (sorry the rest of you in this thread have to fight for 2nd place :excited: )

I have been converting my two daughter's (15 and 11) camcorder tapes over to a computer HD and there is literally not a video he is not in and we frankly, are not crazy cat people. It is just amazing how much a cat can become so enmeshed in your life. He is always with us and never that aloof cat some people have. I think it is because we have always talked to him since day one.

As I sit here typing this, he is head butting me and rubbing on my beard. God I love him....
Russian Blues are the best cats in the world. :) So loyal...I had one that I could call from anywhere in the house and she'd come running, like a dog. A cooler, less needy, less messy dog.

For the person who's asking about the meowing in the morning, I dunno...the obvious answer to me seemed to be to free-feed? Why are you just feeding at certain times of day? Even if the cat isn't eating a lot in the morning, that could be the reason. Might not be the solution but seemed the obvious first step to me. :shrug:

Russian Blues are the best cats in the world. :) So loyal...I had one that I could call from anywhere in the house and she'd come running, like a dog. A cooler, less needy, less messy dog.

For the person who's asking about the meowing in the morning, I dunno...the obvious answer to me seemed to be to free-feed? Why are you just feeding at certain times of day? Even if the cat isn't eating a lot in the morning, that could be the reason. Might not be the solution but seemed the obvious first step to me. :shrug:
One of my cats did this when he was young so we got an automatic feeder. He eats like a pig so we had to feed him 3 or 4 times a day in small quantities. First light of dawn he was bothering us for attention and food. Now we have the auto feeder going off every 6 hours he's a lot better in the mornings. He occasionally bugs us a little but he's not being an obnoxious pest like he was before.

One of my cats did this when he was young so we got an automatic feeder. He eats like a pig so we had to feed him 3 or 4 times a day in small quantities. First light of dawn he was bothering us for attention and food. Now we have the auto feeder going off every 6 hours he's a lot better in the mornings. He occasionally bugs us a little but he's not being an obnoxious pest like he was before.
The auto-feeder sounds like a good idea, too.

It seems like people who are only feeding their cats at certain times maybe have only had dogs before? Cats aren't like dogs, and for the most part won't binge so you can just leave food out all the time (though it sounds like your piggie needed intervals instead). In a billion years of having cats I've never done the "feeding times" and have always free-fed. :shrug:

It seems like people who are only feeding their cats at certain times maybe have only had dogs before? Cats aren't like dogs, and for the most part won't binge so you can just leave food out all the time (though it sounds like your piggie needed intervals instead). In a billion years of having cats I've never done the "feeding times" and have always free-fed. :shrug:
Yep our first cat is 8 and is a normal cat in every sense of the word including how she eats. We can and used to free feed her. Our other cat just turned 3, got him when he was a kitten and he's more dog than cat. Greets us at the door, plays fetch with a ball, begs for and eats most people food, and eats a lot of food in one sitting. We started free feeding him because he's a cat and his daily allotment would be gone in 5 or 6 hours tops so by midnight or so he was really hungry. So now we have 2 automatic feeders that go off at the same time every 6 hours so both cats get smaller regular meals. Our older cat has adjusted just fine. I've never had at cat like Gizmo.

Yep our first cat is 8 and is a normal cat in every sense of the word including how she eats. We can and used to free feed her. Our other cat just turned 3, got him when he was a kitten and he's more dog than cat. Greets us at the door, plays fetch with a ball, begs for and eats most people food, and eats a lot of food in one sitting. We started free feeding him because he's a cat and his daily allotment would be gone in 5 or 6 hours tops so by midnight or so he was really hungry. So now we have 2 automatic feeders that go off at the same time every 6 hours so both cats get smaller regular meals. Our older cat has adjusted just fine. I've never had at cat like Gizmo.
Awwww, it's great that you've made adjustments like that. :) Pics always welcome.

captain_amazing said:

Tonight will be night 3 of door closed with both of us wearing earplugs. He's been starting at like 5:15-5:30, or at least that's when I've heard it for the first time through the plugs. It's pretty minor and spotty at first, and then he really ramps it up and then kind of tires out. I was able to sleep in between and then fell back asleep and sort of overslept from 6:30-7. Plan is to stick with it through next week and see if it gets better. We're supposed to be looking after my in laws very old cat for a week starting the 4th so also hoping that the changing situation could help with this.

I definitely don't like hearing from the only two who responded that there wasn't any luck on your end. I think we're ready to have a kid just so he'll bother the baby instead of us.
I suspect your cat is freaked out about moving. His territory changed without any notice as far as he's concerned. There are some good tips on this site.

Maik Jeaunz said:
quick cat question... I have never owned a cat, but I don't hate cats, and kittens are of course, adorable.

just moved into a new house. good sized property, lots of bird action which annoys me. if I buy a cat, will it scare a lot of the birds away?
Really? The birds are bothering you so you want to kill them? That's just nasty. Don't get a cat. Siongbirds are under enough pressure without you deciding to kill them as well.

Catching up on the responses (thanks to all)...

When I wrote that he was waking us up early for food and attention, that morning feeding I was talking about was just wet food. Our cats have dry food sitting out all day that they will pick at when they want. So I'm pretty sure it's not an actual hunger issue, more about attention and routine.

Both of our cats used to sleep in bed with us which we loved but they sort of stopped/did it less over time. Thinking "out loud" here, I wonder if them stopping corresponded to us turning our ceiling fan on...maybe they didn't like that very much. When our guy would be meowing inches from my face, I'd pick him up and put him in bed next to me and he'd jump out pretty quickly.

They do have their own place to sleep...the offender here frequently sleeps in a pet bed with a fleece blanket on one side. Meanwhile his brother likes to sleep on the floor using one of my sandals as a pillow (seriously, he curls himself into/around it...it's ridiculously cute and there are times I can't wear them because he won't give them up). Anyway, the bed is maybe 12 ft from our bedroom door so bringing it to right outside is a very good idea and we'll try that tonight.

Finally, thanks for the link on the territory change. Will read that shortly.

When I wrote that he was waking us up early for food and attention, that morning feeding I was talking about was just wet food. Our cats have dry food sitting out all day that they will pick at when they want. So I'm pretty sure it's not an actual hunger issue, more about attention and routine.

Both of our cats used to sleep in bed with us which we loved but they sort of stopped/did it less over time. Thinking "out loud" here, I wonder if them stopping corresponded to us turning our ceiling fan on...maybe they didn't like that very much. When our guy would be meowing inches from my face, I'd pick him up and put him in bed next to me and he'd jump out pretty quickly.

They do have their own place to sleep...the offender here frequently sleeps in a pet bed with a fleece blanket on one side. Meanwhile his brother likes to sleep on the floor using one of my sandals as a pillow (seriously, he curls himself into/around it...it's ridiculously cute and there are times I can't wear them because he won't give them up). Anyway, the bed is maybe 12 ft from our bedroom door so bringing it to right outside is a very good idea and we'll try that tonight.

Good point on the ceiling fan. My stepmother has a cat who sleeps with her unless she has the ceiling fan on; it can definitely freak them out a bit. Good luck with the suggestions people have given you; hope they will do the trick!

Oh, and start giving them the wet food as a treat at night, rather than in the morning. Could help.

Surgery is worse.

Gllll. Hope the liquid works out for you. We had a great pharmacy in Chicago that would do the liquids with chicken or other kitty-friendly flavors. Maybe you could find a place that does this?
The wife found some soft little cat treats 'designed' to stuff a pill into. He gobbles them up without a thought. Starting to gain his weight back and has discovered he has a tail again. :crazy:

JZ - all situations and personalities are different, but personally, Im a big proponent of two cats. Better for everyone, imo, especially the cat more often than not.

Just got back from 5 days away from home and honestly, my cats are what I most missed.

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag91/Koya/IMG_4299%203_zps5fbvpr97.jpg

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag91/Koya/IMG_4724%203_zpsk4n6rymi.jpg

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag91/Koya/IMG_4569%202_zpsudiuls1w.jpg

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag91/Koya/IMG_5568%202_zpss9fbcksu.jpg

Good point on the ceiling fan. My stepmother has a cat who sleeps with her unless she has the ceiling fan on; it can definitely freak them out a bit. Good luck with the suggestions people have given you; hope they will do the trick!

Oh, and start giving them the wet food as a treat at night, rather than in the morning. Could help.
Do most people treat wet food for their cats as a "treat"? That's sort of the feeling I got from everyone talking about the free-feeding. I don't know too many people in real life who have cats, but all seemingly feed them wet food 2x a day and do dry food throughout the day which is what we do.

Users who are viewing this thread