What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CC Sabathia (1 Viewer)

yanny

Footballguy
Just read on line...New York Post...CC Sabathia agrees to contract with Yankees...Checked ESPN and other sites...nothing yet but the Post is reporting the deal...If true, YEEEE HAAAA !!!

Just read on line...New York Post...CC Sabathia agrees to contract with Yankees...Checked ESPN and other sites...nothing yet but the Post is reporting the deal...If true, YEEEE HAAAA !!!
WFAN reporting same thing...CC a Yankee !!!

I listened to about 10 minutes of Mike Francesa in the car yesterday (the first time since MadDog left). He was going off on Sweeney about how the Yankees are embarrassing themselves and it was obvious that CC didn't want to be a Yank.

What a pompous blowhard, it's almost enough to turn his show on today and hear him back-pedal.

ESPN just reported it as well. Said CC was, 'sick of waiting for the West Coast to make an offer' or something to that effect.

I listened to about 10 minutes of Mike Francesa in the car yesterday (the first time since MadDog left). He was going off on Sweeney about how the Yankees are embarrassing themselves and it was obvious that CC didn't want to be a Yank.What a pompous blowhard, it's almost enough to turn his show on today and hear him back-pedal.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Good Afternoon Everybody...never thought I would miss the Mad Dog but Francesa by himself is awful.

I realize you Yankee fans think everybody in the known world gives a crap about the Yankees, but doesn't this belong in the Baseball forum where it can be properly ignored?

:bag: at the yankees. do you guys realize the goal is the world series (or how about the playoffs for that matter), not to spend the most money?

Last edited by a moderator:
I listened to about 10 minutes of Mike Francesa in the car yesterday (the first time since MadDog left). He was going off on Sweeney about how the Yankees are embarrassing themselves and it was obvious that CC didn't want to be a Yank.What a pompous blowhard, it's almost enough to turn his show on today and hear him back-pedal.
I heard the same thing and was wondering WTF.. Sheesh, step away and let things settle down...Funny thing though later on I turned on ESPN radio and Brandon Tierney was doing the same shtick...I guess when you have a radio show every day you need to be a little tightly wound and get all crazy after week of no news....Next week it'll be "OMG WTF Lowe doesn't want to come to NY, stop bending over to this guy!!!!!#*$#*@"

I guess money wins again. Can't blame the guy, 20 million more is 20 million more. His great-great-great grandson will have a more kick-### Sea-Doo for his summer home on the lake.

Yankees are never going to learn.

Unreal. Can't wait to listen to them piss and moan for the last 4 or 5 years of the deal about how it was a terrible deal

Yankees are never going to learn.Unreal. Can't wait to listen to them piss and moan for the last 4 or 5 years of the deal about how it was a terrible deal
You think CC is only going to be good for 2 years? Or do you think contracts are going to deflate and A starters will only earn $10 million in 2 years?

Now there are rumors of an opt out clause after 2 years and that the next closest offer was only for $100 million total.

Still a necessary move for the Yankees and most likely a good signing.

But Cashman got played like a fiddle here.

7 years :lmao:

Honestly I don't think this is going to work out at all. And I don't mean 6 years from now. This guy doesn't appear to love the idea of pitching in NY, he's backed down from the biggest pressure spots in his career in the playoffs...and now he has to live up to the biggest deal ever in the biggest city for a team that missed the playoffs and is now opening up a 700 billion dollar stadium.

I'm telling you, this isn't going to work. I think he's going to struggle this year.

:lmao: at the yankees. do you guys realize the goal is the world series (or how about the playoffs for that matter), not to spend the most money?
Didn't this help to do both?
Did it?You effectively replace Mussina (last year's ERA+: 132) with Sabathia (career ERA+: 121)... The Yankees, as currently constituted, are still a 3rd place team.
:thumbdown:That's an interesting way to manipulate those numbers.

Unreal. Can't wait to listen to them piss and moan for the last 4 or 5 years of the deal about how it was a terrible deal
You think CC is only going to be good for 2 years? Or do you think contracts are going to deflate and A starters will only earn $10 million in 2 years?
The history for big ticket pitching contracts is not great. The only deal that really worked out was Pedro's in BOS. I started a thread on this last month. LINKCertainly there is no guarantee that CC will turn out like the other guys, but the track record for these types of deals has not been very good.

7 years :lmao:Honestly I don't think this is going to work out at all. And I don't mean 6 years from now. This guy doesn't appear to love the idea of pitching in NY, he's backed down from the biggest pressure spots in his career in the playoffs...and now he has to live up to the biggest deal ever in the biggest city for a team that missed the playoffs and is now opening up a 700 billion dollar stadium.I'm telling you, this isn't going to work. I think he's going to struggle this year.
Lots of good players that have done well in different environments and smaller markets have not played nearly as well in the Bronx. Something to be concerned about for sure (but very hard to predict).

The history for big ticket pitching contracts is not great. The only deal that really worked out was Pedro's in BOS. I started a thread on this last month. LINKCertainly there is no guarantee that CC will turn out like the other guys, but the track record for these types of deals has not been very good.
But again, the point is if it takes a 7 year deal to get 5 good years from Sabathia, that's something they can afford.

:lmao: at the yankees. do you guys realize the goal is the world series (or how about the playoffs for that matter), not to spend the most money?
Did it?You effectively replace Mussina (last year's ERA+: 132) with Sabathia (career ERA+: 121)... The Yankees, as currently constituted, are still a 3rd place team.
:thumbdown:That's an interesting way to manipulate those numbers.
So you think that CC in 2009 is going to be markedly better than Mussina was in 2008? Show me a year where CC's stats in the AL were so much better than a 20 win season with a 3.37 ERA....

7 years :lmao:

Honestly I don't think this is going to work out at all. And I don't mean 6 years from now. This guy doesn't appear to love the idea of pitching in NY, he's backed down from the biggest pressure spots in his career in the playoffs...and now he has to live up to the biggest deal ever in the biggest city for a team that missed the playoffs and is now opening up a 700 billion dollar stadium.

I'm telling you, this isn't going to work. I think he's going to struggle this year.
Lots of good players that have done well in different environments and smaller markets have not played nearly as well in the Bronx. Something to be concerned about for sure (but very hard to predict).
Definitely hard to predict but I'm on board with Cappy here. Guy was HORRIBLE when the lights were brightest. And that was here in Cleveland. Pressure will be 100x that in NY.

:lol: at you guys thinking CC's going to waltz right into NYC. You know he's a west coast guy, right?

You obviously have CC mixed up with another C-town player who wants to be there -- LeBron James.
:lmao: at you thinking where he's from playing a significant role in all of this. Ok, he's a west coast guy. So is Giambi. He's been a Yankee for 7 years. Manny is a Dominican from the Bronx. So it's only natural that he went to Boston, right?Listen, free agents go where the $$$ is. And the $$$ this offseason is in NY. If he goes somewhere else, feel free to rip me apart. But I would venture a guess that if he is anything but a Yankee in 2009, it'll be because they didn't want to spend the money on him -- NOT because he turned down the money to sign with a left coast team.
I'll say this. If money wasn't the deciding factor, he would've instructed his agent to sign an extension with Cleveland last spring for below market value. In my opinion, this is all about playing nice and not burning bridges with a fanbase that treated him well and all that. No one outside of Manny is going to come out and say, "Highest bidder wins".

But when push comes to shove, he's not turning down an extra $50, $60 mil -- and the Yankees WILL blow any offer out of the water money-wise. They'll sell him on being a potential Yankee hall of famer, winning in NY, joining the history of great lefty pitchers there, opening up the brand-new stadium, the NYC nightlife, the endorsement opportunities for a larger-than-life guy, and the tons and tons of cash.

Regardless of whether he'd prefer a higher yearly average or a higher total package contract, I will say with 100% certainty that the Yankees will not lose out on him if they truly want him and will give him whatever money/years combo it takes to get it done.

If they don't sign him, it won't be due to his preference to pitch on the west coast or because he likes to bat. It'll be because the Yankees choose not to aggressively pursue him, which I don't see any way they fail to go after him hard.
:whistle:

But again, the point is if it takes a 7 year deal to get 5 good years from Sabathia, that's something they can afford.
That's great . . . IF they get 5 good years out of him.

:whistle: at the yankees. do you guys realize the goal is the world series (or how about the playoffs for that matter), not to spend the most money?
:lmao:That's an interesting way to manipulate those numbers.
So you think that CC in 2009 is going to be markedly better than Mussina was in 2008? Show me a year where CC's stats in the AL were so much better than a 20 win season with a 3.37 ERA....
I think the theory is:That Posada and Matsui will be healthier, if not healthy...Cano and A-Rod will return to previous levels of production, or close to it...A full healthy season from Wang and Joba...The effectiveness of the bullpen from April on rather than getting on track a month in...The ability of CC to throw 240 IP, something Mussina isn't able to do at this point in his career, which saves the pen, which in turn rests the relievers for a possible postseason...(ETA because I forgot my wrap-up) Which all this means is that in a typical season, a 20 win campaign with a 3.37 ERA from Mussina would certainly be good enough to keep the Yanks out of 3rd. If someone had told you last year that those would have been his stats, you'd have assumed the Yanks ran away with the division title. After all, they had 19 game winner Wang, and a ridiculous offense. If the offense returns to 2007 levels and Wang/Joba ascend to be very good 2-3 starters, then there's almost no way the Yanks finish lower than 2nd.

Not counting Mussina with the Yanks? :whistle:

The Yanks could sign Jesus Christ and guys would complain that the holes in his hands will result in poor D. It's a good deal. A neccessary deal. They get a Lefty in his prime....who could be effective throught the life of the contract. He is a legit Ace....one of only a few in the league. He's a workhorse. He makes the rotation that much better. With the stuff guys are arguing about....I'm seeing a lot of sour grapes here.

Not counting Mussina with the Yanks? :whistle:
Yeah, I thought about that and was going to add him in. Still, the winners are well behind the losers in the big contract picture.

Good job CC. You are a first-class, greedy coward. Hope the pinstripes have the slimming effect you covet.
What does that even mean? You would turn down $160 mm if you were CC? Come on.
Well...first of all he's a coward for succumbing to the pressure from the union to take the most money. In my opinion, CC was/is a much better NL pitcher. He's said how much he wants to pitch in California where he lives. He enjoys hitting. All of this boils down to the union getting to him. He's greedy because everyone who plays for the Yankees is greedy. It's science. And he's first class meaning he's the top tier relative to baseball players regarding the aformentioned title of greedy coward.

The Yanks could sign Jesus Christ and guys would complain that the holes in his hands will result in poor D. It's a good deal. A neccessary deal. They get a Lefty in his prime....who could be effective throught the life of the contract. He is a legit Ace....one of only a few in the league. He's a workhorse. He makes the rotation that much better. With the stuff guys are arguing about....I'm seeing a lot of sour grapes here.
I hate the Yanks and even I have to admit this doesn't make them any worse. If there was a salary cap my answer would be different, but they seem to have unlimited money to throw around.

Sour grapes? My team just won both the division and the AL and still has a better squad. I know this was necessary for the Yanks, I'm just of the opinion it won't work.

Not counting Mussina with the Yanks? :jawdrop:
Yeah, I thought about that and was going to add him in. Still, the winners are well bhind the losers in the big contract picture.
Completely agree. But this is something the Yankees almost HAD to do. Sure it reeks of desperation at first glance, outbidding everyone by $50-$60 million, and they probably won't get their money's worth for at least one or two of the years...but the same thing people KILLED them for last offseason (not locking up a dominant lefty in his prime) is the reason they're getting killed for in here now. Extremely baffling. Which is it people -- should they get a dominant lefty in his prime, or shouldn't they? And don't tell me that Johan is SO much better than CC. The numbers are comparable enough no matter what stat you look at.I believed this was the plan all along...don't trade the young kids for Johan because this offseason's SP market was large. Instead, lock up one of these guys with only money and hope Hughes/Kennedy develop into top starters. Have your cake and eat it too type of thing. Hopefully the length and value of this contract means they can set their sights on one of the less in-demand starters out there to finish out the rotation (read: NOT A.J. Burnett).

And don't tell me that Johan is SO much better than CC. The numbers are comparable enough no matter what stat you look at.
Career Postseason StatsSabathia: 2-3, 7.92 ERA, 25 IP, 33 H, 22 ER, 22 BB, 24 SO

Santana: 1-3, 3.97 ERA, 34 IP, 35 H, 15 ER, 10 BB, 32 SO

Users who are viewing this thread