What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chances Zeke gets some rest week 16? (1 Viewer)

I think they let Zeke run hard for 3 quarters.....and see how he's going in order to get near the record.

If the game is in hand by 3rd quarter, they could rest him in the 4th....But if he is able to get 100 yards and a TD within those 3 quarters, I will be happy.
I honestly think that's more wishful thinking than reality, but you're likely a more optimistic person than me. Good luck.

I honestly think that's more wishful thinking than reality, but you're likely a more optimistic person than me. Good luck.
Well....he'll definitely be rotating in with who ever they decide to rotate in with him. I am pissed the Giants lost tonight, no doubt, that messes up plans here a little.

But....he wants that rushing record and they want him to get it. I think they'd rather let him have a big game on Monday night to see how close he can get, so they can possibly rest him more during the last game.

I don't think Dallas and JJ care about the record right now.

1 seed and chance of Super Bowl, that's what Dallas and JJ care about
I still think he gets carries to keep him fresh. It would be like a break before a bowl game if they held him to a minimum Week 16. I'm hoping for it, considering I'm up against him, but JJ and co. will probably give him 16 for the record and then rest him 17.  

Dak and Zeke are good, but they're still learning and are rookies.  Each game is valuable experience that will help them in the playoffs.  They rest half the 4th at most.

There is going to be alot of Zeke owners on suicide watch after they bench him this week... Their blood will be on your hands Dr. Brew

Last edited by a moderator:
I could see Zeke seeing a few less touches in the 4th quarter, but that's about it. Even if he does get a few less touches he could still go for 100-2 in the first 3 quarters.

This team is being led by a ROOKIE QB and a ROOKIE RB. These are not veteran players who necessarily know how to flick the switch back on after flicking it off. 

The rushing record is a factor as well.

I see minimal risk here. Anyone who has rode Zeke all year and is now benching is a fool.

My only other option is ajayi who scores single digit points every week so yeah in not benching EE but I would've much preferred the giants won that game last night. It does affect his ceiling imo

No way I can bench Zeke, but i do see slightly less touches. They are riding hot and while a meaningless game, why mess up chemistry that much.

There is going to be alot of Zeke owners on suicide watch after they bench him this week... Their blood will be on your hands Dr. Brew
hoping my opponent frequents these message boards

chances are a reporter sticks a microphone in some important's face today in Dallas for us to find out

my best advice to zeke owners is to play him. I honestly think he may sit after the 2nd quarter, maybe, probably more likely the 3rd. someone said it earlier... 3 quarters of Zeke is better than 4 quarters of anyone else. 

your rb3 or 4 is not likely to score more than zeke

hoping my opponent frequents these message boards

chances are a reporter sticks a microphone in some important's face today in Dallas for us to find out

my best advice to zeke owners is to play him. I honestly think he may sit after the 2nd quarter, maybe, probably more likely the 3rd. someone said it earlier... 3 quarters of Zeke is better than 4 quarters of anyone else. 

your rb3 or 4 is not likely to score more than zeke
IMO were looking at 3 1/2 quarters of Zeke..if he is racking up yards and approaching the record we will see a full game. He will take his typical 3rd series off. Wouldn't hurt to grab McFadden(or who ever you think will be the main backup) only because it's a Monday night game and you don't want to go into it without a backup plan. 

On the other hand if you own Zeke and play a two week championship including week 17....RIP

One more post and I'm done here. Food for thought: 

Week 17 2014 Dallas had clinched a play off spot already and decided to play all starters anyway. Murray played with a broken hand week 17 to break Emmit Smith's Cowboy rushing record. 

IMO were looking at 3 1/2 quarters of Zeke..if he is racking up yards and approaching the record we will see a full game. He will take his typical 3rd series off. Wouldn't hurt to grab McFadden(or who ever you think will be the main backup) only because it's a Monday night game and you don't want to go into it without a backup plan. 

On the other hand if you own Zeke and play a two week championship including week 17....RIP
Yeah the downside to this is it's a Monday night game so if JJ decides to go crazy and sit him, you're kind of screwed. I think Zeke owners should pick up McFadden just in case that very unlikely scenario happens. 

I am not a big fan of resting anyone... but I also don't think you "get rusty" sitting a week or two. If that's the case then where is everyone saying to bench Julio this week because he will be "rusty" after sitting for 2 weeks? 

I think those who say that he will play because of the rookie rushing record... I think you're seeing what you want to see there. What coach in their right mind would take their superbowl ticket and risk it on a meaningless record? I get it, it would mean a lot to the franchise and would be great for Zeke... he kind of deserves it the way he's been running. But if Dallas screws the pooch on this one... pitch forks will be coming out as they march on AT&T stadium
Dallas has the opportunity to form a dynasty that would rival the 90s and contend for multiple superbowls. I think that trumps any record out there.

If I had to pick a scenario, I'd say Zeke plays through Q3, takes every 3rd series off. 

So, that actually could mean, depending on clock management, that Zeke could see 4-5 series before being yanked. (7 series through 3 quarters last game). I think it's quite reasonable to expect about 100 yards from him (avg 20-25 yards a series is reasonable). Probably a score. 

EDIT: If you consider that he would see maybe 1 more series in Q4, I don't think Dallas risks it... I think he's benched. He probably runs his first 2 series in Q3 and then we don't see him again. Seems like a likely scenario. 

15 touches of Zeke is better than anything else I have. 
This.  I could start J Hill or R Kelley, but 15 touches or 3 quarters of Zeke is a better option than most have on their bench.

I picked up McFadden in the unlikely event they bench him...can't take a 0 in the championship if they bench him on Monday night.

One more post and I'm done here. Food for thought: 

Week 17 2014 Dallas had clinched a play off spot already and decided to play all starters anyway. Murray played with a broken hand week 17 to break Emmit Smith's Cowboy rushing record. 
I guess the follow up question I have here is, how did that work out for them?

I'm a Zeke owner. I picked up McFadden just in case Jerry goes insane, but I'm expecting at least 80%+ of Zeke's normal workload.

There's three + weeks until their next meaningful game. There's the rookie rushing title. There's avoiding a loss of momentum. There's sending two key rookies and the rest of the team the right message.

Just can't envision Zeke not getting a significant enough workload to carry people to titles. 

Will be interesting to see if Dodds/Bloom/ Tremblay lower projections between now and Monday. They currently are projecting 24, 23, and 24 carries respectively.

Going to check back on this data later tonight.

It's over Zeke owners, just face the facts. 

Im being a smart tail because the guy pretty much propelled me to the Finals so I'm not upset. I was on record in the Zeke thread with one post "I'm all in" and that has gotten us deep so no regrets or sour grapes either way.

I am so lucky to have a decent rotation of guys. DJ holds the other slot and @Seattle with nothing to play for is not what I had in mind. I own Ware and Hyde and Farrow but I'm probably not playing them ahead of Zeke just yet. Ware is playing Denver but Hyde has Rams in SF. None of the match ups are great. Not sure what Farrow can do in Cleveland but that seems like a Hail Mary right now, not sure that's really necessary yet. 

Opponent played Ryan Mathews last night  :towelwave:

From the Detroit Free press:

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said in a teleconference with Detroit reporters Thursday that his team's spot in the playoff race won't affect the way he substitutes players this weekend.

"We’re really just focused on us and playing the best game we can play," Garrett said. "We’re locked in on that. We just had a good practice and that’s really where our focus is. We absolutely plan to continue to practice and play everybody and focus on winning the ball game on Monday."
JerryJones and Garrett prior to the week 17 game in 2014 where they'd clinched and D. Murray was running up ridiculous touch totals (and received 23 touches and played up until 4 minutes left in the game):

I feel strongly about going all out against the Redskins. There are several reasons, but number one, I think there’s a bigger concern about losing your edge than there is about some of those other issues that are involved.” and this from Garret  “I think you play. You play guys. You get 16 opportunities and you go play and go try and play your best football,” 

They will play a little this game and a little next game if at all. If you think injuries cant happen in meaningless games, ask Tony Romo about his back this year.
Zeke is the most likely to miss more snaps than Dez and Dak. Take your fantasy team out of it, what do the Cowboys have to gain, players not getting rusty?
What good is worrying about rust if your players are hurt trying not to stay rusty?

But go play your best football in week 16 and 17 and dont worry about how that can effect your best football in week 19.
Health is the most important quality this time of year, if I was coach I would bubble wrap these guys and tell them to relax and get better from any nicks and bruises.

They will play a little this game and a little next game if at all. If you think injuries cant happen in meaningless games, ask Tony Romo about his back this year.
Zeke is the most likely to miss more snaps than Dez and Dak. Take your fantasy team out of it, what do the Cowboys have to gain, players not getting rusty?
What good is worrying about rust if your players are hurt trying not to stay rusty?

But go play your best football in week 16 and 17 and dont worry about how that can effect your best football in week 19.
Health is the most important quality this time of year, if I was coach I would bubble wrap these guys and tell them to relax and get better from any nicks and bruises.
Thank God you aren't the coach

Weebs, you changed my mind. They are betetr off I am not the coach then.
You are right, let players go take hits from a team with everything to play for when you have nothing to play for.
What could go wrong? But at least you didnt get rusty by sitting out for a few weeks after playing football for 19 in a row so far.

I have a pilots license and I have flown a plane for 12 years. Whenever I take a week or two off, I forget how to fly a plane. I forget to put the wheelsup if you will.
Now football isnt flying, but the point is they wont forget how to play or get out of shape. They Won't be sitting on the deck eating donuts all week.

I would be very surprised if this held true. Very surprised and super happy because that would mean my guys just need to suit up to beat my opponent. I just don't see that happening. 

Yes, logically it makes sense. But when has Jerry ever been logical? I agree, that this is what I would do if I'm the coach, but I just don't see it happening based off of what Garrett and the Cowboys have done in the past. I do think it's reasonable that he plays the first half, or first 3 quarters even and then sits out the last few series that he would have otherwise played.

It seems like the smart move. Nothing to play for, I agree, but all signs point to a normal game for some weird reason. I never wish injuries on anyone but I almost wish in these cases that these coaches would get bit in the rear end and screw themselves over for the playoffs. I never understand why coaches play their guys in meaningless games. Essentially it's equal to a preseason game for Dallas at this point. That's my reasoning to 1/2 or 3Q... if you treat it like a preseason game that's the workload these guys probably would get. 

Weebs, you changed my mind. They are betetr off I am not the coach then.
You are right, let players go take hits from a team with everything to play for when you have nothing to play for.
What could go wrong? But at least you didnt get rusty by sitting out for a few weeks after playing football for 19 in a row so far.

I have a pilots license and I have flown a plane for 12 years. Whenever I take a week or two off, I forget how to fly a plane. I forget to put the wheelsup if you will.
Now football isnt flying, but the point is they wont forget how to play or get out of shape. They Won't be sitting on the deck eating donuts all week.
Horrible analogy. It could have worked if you flew in some type of competition and decided not to fly at all 3 weeks leading up to the contest. Let me know how that would work out bud.

In all my years playing fantasy football, I don't ever recall a team that was coasting through the season resting their starters the last TWO weeks of the season.  It's certainly not something the Patriots would do.  If I'm the coach, I let the kid at least attempt to make a run at the rookie rushing title.  Injuries happen in football.  Zeke is just as likely to tear up his knee in practice getting ready for Week 1 of the playoffs as he is playing this week against Detroit.  I gotta believe Zeke gets his normal workload at least through the 1st half.  And I'm in the same boat as many of you, one half of football from Zeke is better than my other options (currently Dion Lewis, Forte and T. West), so I'll be taking the gamble.

Weebs, open mouth, insert foot. lol

Horrible analogy? From someone who doesnt know what it takes to fly I presume, telling me about what it takes to fly. Message boards never cease to amaze.
If you think a competition is more important than flying an aircraft/airbus that has 200 people on board, well, I dont need to tell you how ill informed you are.
Speaking of horrible analogies, you just popped a big one. I rather fly in a competition (and have) than with 200 on board a redeye, I'll take it a step further, I rather fly the fighter jet I flew in Iraq instead of be responsible for 200 lives. But either way, after 3 weeks of not flying, the wheels still must go up.

BS, you never would have made such a comparison if you did. Its so outlandish, it isnt possible you fly. So.... awkward.

I was hoping to find a good pilot pissing match today.  Good thing I wanted to check on Zeke Elliott news.  

Agree with most of what you are saying but Dallas has two issues that might impact how they handle this week.

First is same thing every team deals with when they clinch this early. How to take advantage of ability to rest versus understanding you could disrupt momentum of the team and in effect have the team go 4 weeks between meaningful games which is very dicey.

The other part of the equation is the QB issue and what their thoughts on it might be. It makes perfect sense to play Romo these next two weeks, to let him shake off some rust in case you need him later if Dak got hurt. The potential negative is the outside noise of a QB controversy if Romo comes in and shines and I can see why that is something they would want to avoid. Also not sure what Romo's contract status might be regarding injury and if that is something Dallas might want to avoid the possibility of happening so both parties can be free to move on this off-season.

Yeah, I think most know he will get some run, the question is how much.
Desperate Elliott owners think (want) him to play all game.
Most football fans think he will play some, but most likely not all of the game the next two weeks.
Most fans know why he will lose snaps if he does.
Most fans also know that it is possible he still plays the entire game, but would say that isnt smart to play a player in a meaningless games.
Some, very few, owners think it is smart to play a player the entire game of a meaningless game because he will forget how to play football or stay in shape.

does that cover it?

In all my years playing fantasy football, I don't ever recall a team that was coasting through the season resting their starters the last TWO weeks of the season.  It's certainly not something the Patriots would do.  If I'm the coach, I let the kid at least attempt to make a run at the rookie rushing title.  Injuries happen in football.  Zeke is just as likely to tear up his knee in practice getting ready for Week 1 of the playoffs as he is playing this week against Detroit.  I gotta believe Zeke gets his normal workload at least through the 1st half.  And I'm in the same boat as many of you, one half of football from Zeke is better than my other options (currently Dion Lewis, Forte and T. West), so I'll be taking the gamble.
Colts 2009 were 14-0 and rested their starters at halftime of their week 16 game vs the Jets

Zeke is roughly 250 yards away from Eric Dickerson's rookie rushing record with 2 games left.  I imagine he, and the entire offensive line, would love to break that record.  Not suggesting they would risk using him in Week 17, but if he racks up yards early in the game this weekend... it'll make for some interesting decisions for the Dallas coaching staff.
No team is going to risk their BEST player getting hurt to break a record.!!!! Coaches have jobs to worry about,and if Zeke got hurt and ruined their chance at making it to Superbowl. It's not going to happen...Zeke might get 15 touches and calls it a day like stated above.Not worth the risk if you have better options play them

Why do you have Romo, Morris and McFadden if you dont use them here?
That is so much depth, you can afford to sit Zeke and Dak.

In all my years playing fantasy football, I don't ever recall a team that was coasting through the season resting their starters the last TWO weeks of the season.  It's certainly not something the Patriots would do.
2009 and 2005 Colts.

Last time Dallas was in position to rest their starters when they had it clinched did not happen until week 17 so just one week and they still played Romo about a half, which is kind of a lot and would give me some optimism about week 16.

As for Patriots they were resting some players last year when they had meaningful games to play and honestly I can't even remember who and the details but I can recall reading an article a few weeks ago from Pat beat writer saying to expect the Pats to but a bigger priority on top seed this year and not try and rest up some starters.  They did not rest starters the  year they had shot to go 16-0 but that's a different set of circumstances.

I think it comes down to team philosophy.  Do you feel is it better to rest players and try to avoid injury?  Do you feel coasting at the end causes your team to lose a little edge on what got them there?  My own philosophy probably falls somewhere in the middle.  I wouldn't not play my starters for fear of injury and getting rest.  Heck, they get a bye week in round 1.  In the case of Dallas I would prefer to play my normal lineup for about 3 quarters of a game but I would like to get Romo a few snaps and same at RB.  Guys like Romo and McFadden have missed a lot of game time with injuries.

It makes perfect sense to play Romo these next two weeks, to let him shake off some rust in case you need him later if Dak got hurt. The potential negative is the outside noise of a QB controversy if Romo comes in and shines and I can see why that is something they would want to avoid. Also not sure what Romo's contract status might be regarding injury and if that is something Dallas might want to avoid the possibility of happening so both parties can be free to move on this off-season.
I disagree. Receivers have gotten used to Dak, it's all about timing. You don't want to start another guy for two weeks and then go back to the original guy for the playoffs. I can understand getting Romo some reps in a blowout throwing to backup receivers but to have him play 2 full games makes absolutely no sense to me. Somebody here posted earlier that Dallas had a playoff berth clinched in week 17 a few seasons back and still rode Demarco Murray heavy with a broken hand until very late in the game. You have two rookies still learning their positions. There's no way they aren't going to play major minutes this week. 4 weeks between meaningful games is just too long.  On top of that they've already practiced some this week and devised a game plan. Look for normal reps this week and then next week being treated like it's a 3rd preseason game with the starters playing into the 3rd quarter. I can see guys who are banged up getting rest or not playing their full reps but Dak/Zeke are going to play and need to play. I'd be more worried about Dez and Witten if you're starting those guys.

Anybody who still has a week 17 championship game really doesn't deserve sympathy.

I disagree. Receivers have gotten used to Dak, it's all about timing. You don't want to start another guy for two weeks and then go back to the original guy for the playoffs. I can understand getting Romo some reps in a blowout throwing to backup receivers but to have him play 2 full games makes absolutely no sense to me. Somebody here posted earlier that Dallas had a playoff berth clinched in week 17 a few seasons back and still rode Demarco Murray heavy with a broken hand until very late in the game. You have two rookies still learning their positions. There's no way they aren't going to play major minutes this week. 4 weeks between meaningful games is just too long.  On top of that they've already practiced some this week and devised a game plan. Look for normal reps this week and then next week being treated like it's a 3rd preseason game with the starters playing into the 3rd quarter. I can see guys who are banged up getting rest or not playing their full reps but Dak/Zeke are going to play and need to play. I'd be more worried about Dez and Witten if you're starting those guys.
Said it makes sense to use Romo, did not say that Dak would not play next two games.

Clinching a playoff spot with seeding still on the line is not the same thing as clinching seed #1 already. One of those situations the team has something to gain, not the other one.

I'm going to say no way on earth do you see someone like Zeke play normal reps this week. It's not a matter of him getting scaled back, it's a matter of how much. As for week 17, if anyone cares, no way are they going to be running Zeke normal reps into the third quarter.

Rookies are also not used to playing this many games  in a season, even without counting post season  (they call it the rookie wall). That makes resting zeke and dak more logical, though not necessarily more likely. We are talking about Jerry jones here...

Weebs, have him in one, up against in the other. The one I hope to win more is the one I own him.
But, my team aside, why would they play him more than they should?
While they may, it doesnt mean it is a smart move, which has been my point.
I have not said they would shut him down totally, no one has. I suggested they should, but they wont and we all know that.
But, you are assuming it is just dumb for them to rest any players, when that is what many are suggesting they do.
He should get 10-15 strategic touches, if they give him 20 touches that is just plain not smart in any way. Dak should play first half and so should dez.

Injuries happen in football.  Zeke is just as likely to tear up his knee in practice getting ready for Week 1 of the playoffs as he is playing this week against Detroit. 
This is 100% FALSE for the reasons given below: 

yes, injury can happen at any time, but I can forward you research study after research study thay discusses the chances of injury and how it goes up with fatigue and during an athletic season. I can say with absolute confidence that zeke is more likely to suffer a catastrophic knee injury today than he was back in August. many people don't realize that... they think the chances are equal every week. that is just plain wrong. biomechanics break down and connective tissue gets strained in different ways that allow for higher injury chances. it's the exact reason why rookie MLB pitchers often times have inning limits on their season, but the seasoned vets can pitch all the way through October without an issue. 

Zeke has never played this much football at this level in his entire young adult life. and he's being used about as much as LaDainian Tomlinson in his prime. that's significant. 
EDIT::: To further explain, as he gets more use he is at a greater risk of getting hurt. He is at a greater risk of getting hurt week 1 of the playoffs if he is abused week 16 and 17 of the regular season. Give him a couple weeks of rest and he will be at a much less chance 

Giantsrule, the survivors here in the mock draft forum have a week 17 championship.

Guru, they should not be doing anything in practice that would get them hurt.

Yes, players can do things that can hurt themselves the wrong cut or otherwise in practice, but comparing the chance of a controlled environment injury to one of that you cant control is not one I would do.The stats and facts show it is less likely to get hurt in practice.

For reference sake, how long was Zeke off between the Michigan game and the Bowl games last year? Did he miss a beat?

Said it makes sense to use Romo, did not say that Dak would not play next two games.

Clinching a playoff spot with seeding still on the line is not the same thing as clinching seed #1 already. One of those situations the team has something to gain, not the other one.

I'm going to say no way on earth do you see someone like Zeke play normal reps this week. It's not a matter of him getting scaled back, it's a matter of how much. As for week 17, if anyone cares, no way are they going to be running Zeke normal reps into the third quarter.
Dallas wants to win this game. It's at home like the two playoff games they need to win if they're going to the superbowl. Garrett has already alluded to wanted to keep the momentum going. I believe if you have guys going full throttle trying to win and not thinking about reps or when they'll be pulled they have less of a chance of injury. Dak and Zeke's focus need to be on winning the game, not on impressing in limited duty. If it's a 3 td game in the 4th then you think about sitting guys. If the game is anywhere near close you play to win and that means playing your starters. You don't want these guys last thought heading into the playoffs to be they took their foot off the gas and lost, you want them thinking everything is clicking and feeling unstoppable. Romo is a veteran and an all-pro, if called upon at some point he'll be ready. That's why he goes to meetings and practices. He doesn't need to play a half to be fresh for a game weeks in the future that he'll likely never play in anyway. In terms of the team and winning, these reps in these next two games hold far more value when Dak gets them than if/when Romo does.

Weebs, have him in one, up against in the other. The one I hope to win more is the one I own him.
But, my team aside, why would they play him more than they should?
While they may, it doesnt mean it is a smart move, which has been my point.
I have not said they would shut him down totally, no one has. I suggested they should, but they wont and we all know that.
But, you are assuming it is just dumb for them to rest any players, when that is what many are suggesting they do.
He should get 10-15 strategic touches, if they give him 20 touches that is just plain not smart in any way. Dak should play first half and so should dez.
These are great points.

Again, no one said a word about Doug Martin being "rusty" when he was back from his injury after being out like 6 weeks. In fact people were falling over themselves to start him
No one in the "Who is benching Julio Jones" has bit on my question of if he will be "rusty" after sitting for 2 weeks.
No one hesitated to start Dez when he as coming back from injury earlier this season

So.... if we aren't going to worry about people being "rusty" when they are HURT and not playing at all why would we be worried that they would be rusty when they are just resting and fully participating in everything but playing less? It makes zero sense. Can anyone here who is suggesting they will be "rusty" come playoff time explain this? 

Users who are viewing this thread