What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chances Zeke gets some rest week 16? (1 Viewer)

If anything, Zeke will get fed even more than usual this week. More than 30 carries is my prediction. They don't need to win so they can just get him as many rushing yards as possible this week to make the rushing record more reachable next week.

I know it sounds illogical with the possibility of injury and all, but the positive benefits of making Zeke as happy as possible in Dallas trumps injury concerns. Bank on it.
I'm almost as positive that won't happen as I am that he won't break the rookie record tomorrow.

kidding, obviously, bit I'd be shocked if Elliott gets 30 carries Monday.  There's not logic that supports the idea of exposing possibly the most important player on your team to extra risk this close to the playoffs, just to "keep him happy" (when there are absolutely no indications he is unhappy, or needs to be placated in that manner)?

no offense, that makes no sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense taken at all. I respect your opinion and can see why you come to the logical conclusion that Zeke won'get more work this week than usual. Just keep in mind that he's not the only one that wants this record. The offensive line wants it. The staff who was instrumental in selecting Zeke in the draft over Jalen Ramsey wants it. Jerry wants it. Of course that's my opinion on these assumptions.

The risk of injury is extremely minimal by giving him 6-10 more carries than usual. The guy is young and he would have several weeks to recover if he did tweak something. It's all setting up for a monster rushing load this week. IMO.

We are past the if he will or if he wont stage of the discussion, I'm only discussing if it is smart or not, and that isnt a discussion.

The fact people think its smart to give him a monster workload in a game that means nothing at all, has me going through and ignoring people.
Their opinion will never matter to me again knowing they think giving a guy 30 carries in a meaningless game is a good move just because you own him on your fantasy team.

I do understand how people can think if he doesnt get a bunch of carries he will forget how to play football though.
And how his risk is minimal to get hurt by getting that many carries against a team with everything to play for.
Teams dont lose because they rest players, teams lose because they are not the better team.
I am supposed to think teams lose because they are healthier and more rested than the other team and because they didnt get hit by other football players?
I'll pass on that thinking.

Do be careful though of how coaches/jerry interpret "rest/bench."

Asa Zeke owner, please give him 30 carries, but as a football fan, there is nothing worse than that.
I dont wish for injuries, but this is the exact scenario in which they happen.

Zero percent chance that he gets 30 carries on Monday, and highly unlikely he even hits 25.  I'd be curious to see if Vegas is putting an over/under out for his number of carries this week.  If so I'd guess it will be in the 18.5-20 territory.

Zeke will get a near full workload this week unless it's a blow out. They aren't gonna rest him for 3 weeks lol......that's nearly a month of limited activity. Cowboys also stated yesterday they've weren't resting starters this week but that could be coach speak. Everyone in this thread that thinks Zeke will be rested in week 16, probably has to face him and are just wishful thinking IMO.

Week 17 is a different story however.....

Zero percent chance that he gets 30 carries on Monday, and highly unlikely he even hits 25.  I'd be curious to see if Vegas is putting an over/under out for his number of carries this week.  If so I'd guess it will be in the 18.5-20 territory.
I would be ecstatic with that estimate.

Zeke will get a near full workload this week unless it's a blow out. They aren't gonna rest him for 3 weeks lol......that's nearly a month of limited activity. Cowboys also stated yesterday they've weren't resting starters this week but that could be coach speak. Everyone in this thread that thinks Zeke will be rested in week 16, probably has to face him and are just wishful thinking IMO.

Week 17 is a different story however.....
I'd say everyone who thinks he's getting a full work load owns him and is wishful thinking imo

I think he gets limited action at the end of the game. I don't think anyone in here has said he wouldn't play at all

I think Dallas would love to see him get 10 carries, as they build a lead, and then play his backups.   

He can get 80 yards and a TD and STILL be rested in the 2nd half, how can you sit him?  You can't.  

I'd say everyone who thinks he's getting a full work load owns him and is wishful thinking imo

I think he gets limited action at the end of the game. I don't think anyone in here has said he wouldn't play at all

I'd say a 90% workload. He's only 21 and has showed no signs of wear. The Cowboys and Zeke have also gone on record about trying to reach the rookie record. They're not going to substantially rest the guy for 3 weeks straight. If this was week 17 I woukd be singing an entirely different tune. 

I'd say a 90% workload. He's only 21 and has showed no signs of wear. The Cowboys and Zeke have also gone on record about trying to reach the rookie record. They're not going to substantially rest the guy for 3 weeks straight. If this was week 17 I woukd be singing an entirely different tune. 
This is what has me thinking that he won't be limited to 10 carries.  I think he will probably end up with 15 plus.  And knowing he will be going for the rushing record (which is just as much an achievement for the o-line as him), the entire offense will be playing balls out trying to get him as much production as possible in his limited attempts.

I could also say people against Zeke are doing wishful thinking as well with anything less than 85% of his usual touches

A bunch of analyst/former players this morning feel like Zeke and Dak should play the majority game. They said that for rookies it's even more important to play so they don't get complacent before the play offs.

I think Dallas and Jerry Jones is arrogant enough to think Elliott needs to get that rookie rushing record and then they'll win the SB.  I personally hope they miss out on both.

Hoping he scores less than 18 pts but I think he gets fed early and often. His o-linemen more motivated since he bought each one a John Deere UTV for Christmas. Total cost around 135K. He really really wants that record.

Hoping he scores less than 18 pts but I think he gets fed early and often. His o-linemen more motivated since he bought each one a John Deere UTV for Christmas. Total cost around 135K. He really really wants that record.
Hope you are right

Another armchair psychologist with a different take might suggest his O-linemen will not be as motivated since they already got their UTV.  Similar to the argument that a player doesn't play as hard the year AFTER they get a new contract.

I need 16 points in standard scoring from Zeke.  I hope the team is in the winning the rookie record mode.  He's averaging 18 points in my league.  Fingers crossed.

Agree. He'll play but he's not had less than 20 carries since week 9. He'll get less than 20 carries this week. His season low for touches is 18, he comes in underneath that this week. There is no way he's playing a full load, makes no real football sense. He's a rookie RB who has already amassed 310 carries, 341 total touches and they just activated the backup RB last week who until that time had not played since last off-season and could use some work.

Jerry might very well have learned a lesson from 2007 but he also probably learned a lesson this weekend seeing a team like the Raiders have their SB hopes shot with the Carr injury. And don't ever underestimate the salesman that is Jerry when he says things like he won't rest anyone. He's got a home MNF game and he's not in the least looking to diminish his product by saying he's resting starters. I still think Elliot is a solid start by the way so I'd have used him this weekend if I had him,  I just expect somewhere around 60-70% of his normal workload would be 14-17 touch range.

Agree. He'll play but he's not had less than 20 carries since week 9. He'll get less than 20 carries this week. His season low for touches is 18, he comes in underneath that this week. There is no way he's playing a full load, makes no real football sense. He's a rookie RB who has already amassed 310 carries, 341 total touches and they just activated the backup RB last week who until that time had not played since last off-season and could use some work.

Jerry might very well have learned a lesson from 2007 but he also probably learned a lesson this weekend seeing a team like the Raiders have their SB hopes shot with the Carr injury. And don't ever underestimate the salesman that is Jerry when he says things like he won't rest anyone. He's got a home MNF game and he's not in the least looking to diminish his product by saying he's resting starters. I still think Elliot is a solid start by the way so I'd have used him this weekend if I had him,  I just expect somewhere around 60-70% of his normal workload would be 14-17 touch range.
Agree with your take on the situation.  Only hope for Zeke to get normal workload is if DAL wants to give him a chance at the rookie rushing record.  The record has stood for 33 years, would be a big deal for him to break it.

We need more analysis of how the Dallas OL will perform based on the John Deere tractor gifts.  

If Dallas is up by say 20-7 at halftime in a MEANINGLESS game,do you really think Dallas is stupid enough to lean on him to help run out the clock? Never,Mcfadden will most likely take on a bunch of work,as he hasn't played much all season.and he could really use the snaps to get back into the flow of the game! Records are nice,but NOT when a team is preparing for the play-offs and they don't want to risk losing their best player, just to break a record.It isn't going to happen!!!!! Elliot will prob play the entire first half and a bit of 3rd quarter(this week and next) regardless of score,just to keep him fresh for the play-offs..No way he plays close to the entire game...I wouldn't be surprised to see Romo comes in at some point,just to get in some reps as well..Dallas should be treating the next 2 games, like they are preseason games,trying to come out of them with no injuries,but keeping players fresh for the meaningful games!

Local pregame here in Dallas alluded to one of the coaching staff saying they expected entire O to play into the 4th Q unless it's a blowout. Rookie rushing record in a big deal for Zeke and entire O line. Also, 3 full weeks until playoff game and team isn't wanting to give the players almost a month without game time.

We need more analysis of how the Dallas OL will perform based on the John Deere tractor gifts.  
What if they aren't John Deere guys??  They might decide to block worse instead of better, like Ray not blocking for Rev in remember the Titans!!

That seals it; I'm benching Zeke for Theo Riddick. Can't take the chance that Zeke might only get an 80% workload or that his O-line might not do their best if they didn't like their gifts.

Some of the line will be so happy that they finally reached their life goal of owning a John Deere that I expect them to announce retirement any hour now. 

But I also heard that Goodell thought it would only be fair for Dallas to be able to use tractors in place of the retired lineman. 

Zeke 650 yards and 7 TDs tonight. 

I think most people here have a realistic expectation. 

there's a big difference between what we all agree probably should happen and what will. being it's Jerry and Monday night I expect zeke to play the entire game even though it makes the most sense to rest him. 

sucks for Carr by the way... I was rooting for oakland. don't want another ne superbowl appearance

I think most people here have a realistic expectation. 

there's a big difference between what we all agree probably should happen and what will. being it's Jerry and Monday night I expect zeke to play the entire game even though it makes the most sense to rest him. 

sucks for Carr by the way... I was rooting for oakland. don't want another ne superbowl appearance
I am up 18 in two leagues with Elliott going tonight on the other team. He can rush for as many yards as he wants. Just limit the receptions and no TD's.

Looking for an "after" Christmas miracle. 

I am up 18 in two leagues with Elliott going tonight on the other team. He can rush for as many yards as he wants. Just limit the receptions and no TD's.

Looking for an "after" Christmas miracle. 

If I was against Zeke with any less than a 30 point Lead I would not feel safe
30 points!?!?! I'd feel fairly safe, but nervous up 15 TBH... 

you think he's going to out perform Ajayi and Bell from this week?!?!

that means you're predicting 180 yards and a pair of scores... you're nuts

Very interesting situation here because I can completely understand the Cowboys saying BEFORE the game that everything will be business as usual because they:

-don't want to water down the product (get all those fans in there and buying early).

-Don't want to tip a hand or "undo" preparation for this game.

But reality says even Jerry Jones (EVEN JERRY JONES) has to understand how freaking close he is to something he's been chasing since, honestly, the mid 90's.  Elliot has been the clear lynchpin to this entire season.  Dak is a huge pleasant surprise but given the two, Elliot is the difference maker.  To tack on another 40-50 carries/receptions on this guy before the REAL objective matters would seem insane. That would all but guarantee Elliot ends the year with 400+ carries and we all know Rbs just don't sustain under those numbers.  

Add into it that they have a very capable Morris that can run behind that great line and they have DMAC back (who Jerry loves as one of his alma mater boys) and it would likely make sense to give him some game run the next few weeks to see where he's at.  DMAC could be a james white/Dion Lewis/Darren Sproles type of change-up/x-factor in the playoffs.  

I won't be surprised to see it go any particular way but man o'man are you playing with dynamite here.  I don't think I am the most conservative guy around by a long shot but I think if this were my team, I'd tell the coaches to play him for a quarter, get the other guys in there, give the fans some Jason Witten Lovin', some Dez action to keep them happy and see where the game goes.  By no means take unnecessary  risks, don't be playing for overtime if it comes to that..Just play SMART and get this team ready for the playoffs in one piece.  

30 points!?!?! I'd feel fairly safe, but nervous up 15 TBH... 

you think he's going to out perform Ajayi and Bell from this week?!?!

that means you're predicting 180 yards and a pair of scores... you're nuts
I didn't say I predict. All I said is I wouldn't feel safe. Wouldn't be the first time he has out performed them. In all honestly though I think it completely depends on how his first 10 carries go. If he is killing it they leave him in. If he is getting stuffed I see him not playing much rest of game.

You would feel safe up 15 against a guy who hasn't scored less than 11 in standard all year? 

I'm curious in your game how much are you up by? You said your opponent had Zeke right?

I didn't say I predict. All I said is I wouldn't feel safe. Wouldn't be the first time he has out performed them. In all honestly though I think it completely depends on how his first 10 carries go. If he is killing it they leave him in. If he is getting stuffed I see him not playing much rest of game.

You would feel safe up 15 against a guy who hasn't scored less than 11 in standard all year? 

I'm curious in your game how much are you up by? You said your opponent had Zeke right?
I'm up 175 to 59. he has Prater and Zeke. am I safe?

he's averaging 21.7 a game this season and concensus has been he will get 70-80% of his normal workload. so, that would mean 15-18 points. so yes, I would be nervous but fairly confident that best case scenario, if he's limited, I'm looking at 15-18 points

Rookie rushing record has been held since 1983. Unless Detroit blows them out, they're not resting him.
SB trophy hasn't been held since 1996.  Unless Detroit keeps it super tight, he's not getting his full workload.

I said it as definitively as you did; that doesn't make it any more true than your opinion was.

Everything you say makes sense...... sort of.

You will not win resting your players, especially two rookies for 3 weeks. Not happening.

SB trophy hasn't been held since 1996.  Unless Detroit keeps it super tight, he's not getting his full workload.

I said it as definitively as you did; that doesn't make it any more true than your opinion was.
Having one of those achievements doesn't mean they can't have the other...

I'm up 175 to 59. he has Prater and Zeke. am I safe?

he's averaging 21.7 a game this season and concensus has been he will get 70-80% of his normal workload. so, that would mean 15-18 points. so yes, I would be nervous but fairly confident that best case scenario, if he's limited, I'm looking at 15-18 points
Yea I'd say you are safe was just curious. 

It does if Zeke gets hurt trying to get the rookie rushing record.
That's my thought.  Nobody is saying it can't go either way the decision makers decide but the question is what that decision will be and if it is to play elliot, then will it blow up on them?  Given the recent collapses of Dallas as key injuries struck, I guess I just have to say if jerry Jones sits down and considers all this and says "let's run this guy into the ground", then hats off to him and he probably needs a state bigger than Texas to house his gonads.   I just can't imagine what will happen if the Cowboys see elliot get injured tonight or next week.  

Users who are viewing this thread