What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chargers take Rivers "off the market" (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20..._1s12brees.html

Smith reiterates that Rivers won't be dealt

By Kevin Acee

STAFF WRITER

January 12, 2006

The Chargers have eliminated some of the uncertainty from their quarterback conundrum.

Questions remain, but ones that can only be answered with time.

For now, as of yesterday, Philip Rivers is officially off the market, and it was revealed too that the Chargers will at least make an effort to sign Drew Brees to a long-term contract.

"There won't be any more talk about both of them being dangled," Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith said. "One is here. The other – we'll see how it goes with Drew's injury."

Smith has for months indicated he is not inclined to part with Rivers, the quarterback for whom he made a blockbuster draft-day trade in 2004. But he had not come out and said as strongly what he declared yesterday.

"Philip Rivers will be a San Diego Charger and will remain one," Smith said. "I just think it's very important he remains here, and he's under contract. He is not available for trade. He will be a Charger."

Also yesterday, Brees said he was told by the Chargers last week the team wanted "to pursue me long term."

Smith confirmed that he called Brees on Jan. 4, the day before Brees had surgery to repair the torn labrum in his throwing shoulder.

"I wanted to do that to put his mind at ease," Smith said. "I told him we're going to try to get a long-term contract and just not to worry about it. I told him, 'Have the surgery, rehab it, get healthy and come back and help us win a championship.' "

Smith said the team will initiate talks with Brees' agent early next month.

"I know that's something for the next few months that everybody is going to be working on," Brees said. "As far as what's gone on up to this point, it's really not much. I think we're in the very beginning stages here. But I know they want me here long term, and I want to be here long term."

It's not clear if any initial offer made by the Chargers would be high enough for Brees and his agent to consider seriously. If unable to reach a deal with Brees by Feb. 23, it is likely the Chargers would make Brees their transition player, a designation that is similar to being a franchise player but would not guarantee Brees' $9.7 million one-year contract until he made the opening-day roster. (The $9.7 million number is based on the 20 percent salary increase the Chargers would be required to offer Brees as a franchise or transition player.)

Tom Condon, Brees' agent, has negotiated seven of the nine NFL contracts to include at least $20 million in guaranteed money, including the six-year extension signed by LaDainian Tomlinson last summer. Condon is also Eli Manning's agent, as well as the agent for Donnie Edwards and Marty Schottenheimer.

So his history with the Chargers is intricate.

"Where it goes with Mr. Condon, I have no idea," Smith said.

Brees spoke to the San Diego media via conference call yesterday from Birmingham, Ala., where he had surgery a week ago to repair the shoulder he injured in the Dec. 31 season finale against Denver.

Brees, whose arm remains in a sling most of the day, is still hoping to begin throwing in four months.

"I'd like to say that," he said. " . . . When you come back and start throwing it's a long process to even get your arm where you have the endurance. You gradually work from throwing five yards, to 10 yards. . . . So even once I start throwing it's still two months or so until you start throwing routes and deep passes.

"We'll see how it goes. But the most important thing for me is to be ready to go by training camp (at the end of July)."

Brees plans to remain in Birmingham, where he had the surgery, to continue his rehabilitation for at least two more weeks. Coincidentally, his in-laws live in Birmingham, so that is where he and his wife are staying.

Brees attends two-hour rehab sessions twice daily. He said his work is limited to range-of-motion exercises and increasingly his flexibility.

"It's working the stiffness out of the joints, really just trying to set the tone for the rest of the rehab," Brees said. "They say the sooner you can get the range of motion and flexibility back, the better the rest of the rehab will go."

The fact that the success of the rehabilitation won't be certain until at least July, when Brees shows he has not lost arm strength and durability, muddies potential contract negotiations.

"The medical part is always an issue," Smith said. "We're working our way through that. We will consider all that."

Asked yesterday if Brees' injury was what negated the possibility of a Rivers trade, Smith said, "I wouldn't say it forced my hand, but when you have an injury to one of your quarterbacks, it factors in."

Rivers said yesterday neither he nor his agent had been told by the Chargers that he would not be traded.

"I can't get too caught up in something that is said this early (in the offseason)," Rivers said. "The only way I can approach it is to push it aside and worry about what I can control."

Rivers was the fourth pick in the 2004 draft and was acquired along with draft picks from the New York Giants in exchange for No. 1 pick Eli Manning.

While he has been the quiet soldier for two years, as Brees has had Pro Bowl-caliber seasons, Rivers has openly hoped 2006 would be the year he becomes a starter somewhere. He said he plans to "work my butt off" to compete with Brees for the Chargers' starting job.

He believes that, at least, the next several months afford him a great opportunity, as he will be in the position of starting quarterback for the offseason workouts and minicamps.

"For me it's an opportunity – not to steal a job, but to get in the huddle with the No. 1 offense," he said. "Ultimately, I am going to play in this league. . . . This is going to be good for me."

Brees' injury could be face-saving way for the Chargers to trade him. Had he been healthy, I don't think the fans would have sat well with him being traded. Now that there's the question mark about his arm it'll make it a lot easier to them to accept.One of them has to go this offseason and no way do the Chargers want to get stuck in a Pennington-type situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Rivers owner, I just hope that one of them gets dealt.

This is one strange situation. I would imagine Rivers will not be happy sitting for another year.

Brees' injury worries me. Not exactly the strongest arm to begin with, you wonder if even a minor decrease in strength could send him the way Pennington looked (before he got hurt, again) - which wasnt that good.

This is one strange situation. I would imagine Rivers will not be happy sitting for another year.
No, but he has no choice...but he'll still get paid, so I guess the millions for doing nothing will be fine.

The Chargers just don't get it. I wonder if Fitz, Vilma, Hall, or Sean Taylor would have been enough to make the playoffs this year.

The Chargers just don't get it. I wonder if Fitz, Vilma, Hall, or Sean Taylor would have been enough to make the playoffs this year.
No.But I can tell you if the future of the franchise rested on whether or not Brees arm heals 100% next year they would be less likely to make the playoffs next season.

No, but he has no choice...but he'll still get paid, so I guess the millions for doing nothing will be fine.
Exactly. He is under contract. He can be a malcontent and sabotage a viable career or he can keep his mouth shut, collect his money, and realize that he is still a relatively young man and even if he spends his first few years on the bench, he'll have a longterm chance to still be a starter.

This may extend his career a few years (no wear-and-tear, lots of learning) and by that time QBs will probably be making about $25 million per year. He can't be that upset.

The Chargers just don't get it.  I wonder if Fitz, Vilma, Hall, or Sean Taylor would have been enough to make the playoffs this year.
No.But I can tell you if the future of the franchise rested on whether or not Brees arm heals 100% next year they would be less likely to make the playoffs next season.
Keep telling yourself that, hopefully Rivers won't be bust (doubtful given his NCState hertitage). One of these days Rivers may play some meaningful football. In the mean time, the opportunity lost not having one of the players above has cost you two years in row.

Exactly. He is under contract. He can be a malcontent and sabotage a viable career or he can keep his mouth shut, collect his money, and realize that he is still a relatively young man and even if he spends his first few years on the bench, he'll have a longterm chance to still be a starter.
In no way was Trent Green in a QB situation like this in WAS, but it could be a very similar ending. Green didnt start until 1998, and by that time, he was 28. He is now going to be playing @ 36, and maybe 1-2 more years after that. There's something to be said for Rivers collecting that $$$ being the good employee, and then being able to play till he is 36-38, whereas most QBs decline around 33-34.

For what he does compared to what he makes, he may have the best job in America!

This is one strange situation.  I would imagine Rivers will not be happy sitting for another year.
But he will not hit any of his performance kickers in his contract that would make him millions. Paid yes, but not anywhere near what he could have made under this rookie deal. Just look at Eli Manning. The Giants yesterday picked up his option maxing out his deal. At the end of the day, Eli will make millions more than Rivers over the same time period. I don't think sitting for a third year helps his development one bit.

Keep telling yourself that, hopefully Rivers won't be bust (doubtful given his NCState hertitage). One of these days Rivers may play some meaningful football. In the mean time, the opportunity lost not having one of the players above has cost you two years in row.
Curious what you mean by the bolded? Torry Holt is a good one. . .

But he will not hit any of his performance kickers in his contract that would make him millions. Paid yes, but not anywhere near what he could have made under this rookie deal. Just look at Eli Manning. The Giants yesterday picked up his option maxing out his deal. At the end of the day, Eli will make millions more than Rivers over the same time period. I don't think sitting for a third year helps his development one bit.
I don't agree on the part that Rivers isn't developing just because he isn't playing, first of all.Secondly, Rivers is not the best QB in San Diego. However, he's a pretty good backup option for them, especially right now.

So, like I said, Rivers has no choice. He can complain and sabotage his career...or sit and wait for his chance while collecting his money.

Sorry, I really don't feel bad for the guy. He's getting paid millions upon millions of dollars to sit and watch football. Not a bad gig, IMO.

I'm of the play you're getting paid camp. I don't want few million dollar backup and if I were a charger fan I'd probably prefer a defensive player or WR for that $ and some cheap vet as Brees' backup. He could be getting initiated like Carr so I see how sitting can further his career in theory, in terms of years. However, if you don't play, I don't think you have a career. Of course he does but in my opinion this guy has nothing on his NFL career IE if this were the military, he's still got 4 years to serve.I've seen people on this board pick some gems and be "dead wrong" about others. I too have myself. Is he a bust or gem though? Aren't ya curious?I've had it with this guy sitting. I'm sick of hearing about his talent, let's see it. Pretty soon my frustration with this will lead me to think the guy either isn't very good or can't pick up an NFL playbook or somesuch. While that might be very wrong.....cmon already!This is Pennington time. Chad came on and completed a huge % of passes and for the first time in a long time I'd swear I could see that a QB was smart. Well, let's go Rivers. If he sits all next year, it's a wasted pick IMO.Right now, I think it was a wasted pick. Sure he can start and throw for 4k in 06 and change my opinion but at this point in time I could have drafted any college senior QB and had them do what he's done. Amidst my rant, I suppose my question is: If you want to draft a "future franchise QB" that sits for years and develops, do you feel you have to spend a first or is that too expensive?

No football player worth a darn is going to want to sit for a few years, no matter what he's getting paid. Rivers is a competitor who wants to play.If I were a GM and someone on my team was content to sit on the bench, I would be very concerned if they had the attitude to succeed in professional football. I would want ALL of my players chomping at the bit to get on the field.He may have no choice but to shut up and play, but I doubt he's happy about it.

Of course, not having Kellen Winslow or Reggie Williams has helped them. They've avoided having to pay money to a backup QB and didn't block the development of Antonio Gates or the young WRs. They also have leverage to deal with Brees and likely made him into a better QB (the competition and motivation played some part in his Pro-Bowl leve play).

The only reason that Rivers was drafted was that the team didn't have faith in Brees. Hindsight is 20/20 so to say they should have drafted someone else and stuck with Brees is silly to say now. No one knew Brees was going to play as well as he has. Not many Chargers fans are disappointed by the last two years, even if they haven't won a playoff game, and you can't guarantee that having any of the players from that draft would have won them playoff games.

Keep telling myself what? To start off, they couldn't draft Fitz, Vilma, or Taylor because they TRADED FOR A PLAYER, NOT A DRAFT PICK. I honestly don't know how anyone can not make this distinction after all this time. Even so...That the high scoring Chargers didn't miss the playoffs because they didn't have a big name WR like Fitz? The Chargers scored more points than CAR and they have Steve Smith.

Vilma is a great LB. In fact, had the Chargers been able to trade for Vilma they may not have drafted Merriman. I'm fine with Merriman. The Chargers LB corp is very strong. Again, the Chargers did not miss the playoffs due to LB play.

The Chargers DID miss the playoffs due to poor DB play BUT I'm not so sure Taylor would have fit in with the Chargers given all the off-field baggage they put up with in David Boston. While Taylor has a lot of talent, I don't even think the safeties were at fault for the Chargers missing the playoffs. The fact they couldn't cover opponents WR's when it mattered was the reason they didn't make the playoffs and Taylor as good as Taylor is I'm not convinced he covers WR's especially well.

Just call Rivers names and be done with it. Don't masquerade as if there's a rational reason for it, just blather about him playing for a division rival or some such nonsense. He played for NCstate........ get over it...... or don't.

Keep telling myself what? To start off, they couldn't draft Fitz, Vilma, or Taylor because they TRADED FOR A PLAYER, NOT A DRAFT PICK. I honestly don't know how anyone can not make this distinction after all this time. Even so...That the high scoring Chargers didn't miss the playoffs because they didn't have a big name WR like Fitz? The Chargers scored more points than CAR and they have Steve Smith.

Vilma is a great LB. In fact, had the Chargers been able to trade for Vilma they may not have drafted Merriman. I'm fine with Merriman. The Chargers LB corp is very strong. Again, the Chargers did not miss the playoffs due to LB play.

The Chargers DID miss the playoffs due to poor DB play BUT I'm not so sure Taylor would have fit in with the Chargers given all the off-field baggage they put up with in David Boston. While Taylor has a lot of talent, I don't even think the safeties were at fault for the Chargers missing the playoffs. The fact they couldn't cover opponents WR's when it mattered was the reason they didn't make the playoffs and Taylor as good as Taylor is I'm not convinced he covers WR's especially well.

Just call Rivers names and be done with it. Don't masquerade as if there's a rational reason for it, just blather about him playing for a division rival or some such nonsense. He played for NCstate........ get over it...... or don't.
:goodposting:

1(1) NYGiants ELI MANNING QB MISSISSIPPI 5(5) Washington SEAN TAYLOR S MIAMI (FLA.) 9(9) Jacksonville REGGIE WILLIAMS WR WASHINGTON 11(11) Pittsburgh BEN ROETHLISBERGER QB MIAMI (OHIO) 14(14) Chicago TOMMIE HARRIS DT OKLAHOMA 15(15) Tampa Bay MICHAEL CLAYTON WR LSU 17(17) Denver (from Cincinnati) D.J. WILLIAMS OLB MIAMI (FLA.) 21(21) New England (from Baltimore) VINCE WILFORK DT MIAMI (FLA.) 23(23) Seattle MARCUS TUBBS DT TEXAS 26(26) Cincinnati (from St. Louis) CHRIS PERRY RB MICHIGAN 28(28) Carolina (from Philadelphia through San Francisco) CHRIS GAMBLE CB OHIO STATE 32(32) New England BENJAMIN WATSON TE GEORGIA Hmmm...what do all these teams have in common besides drafting players that were contributing this year?

1(1) NYGiants ELI MANNING QB MISSISSIPPI

5(5) Washington SEAN TAYLOR S MIAMI (FLA.)

9(9) Jacksonville REGGIE WILLIAMS WR WASHINGTON

11(11) Pittsburgh BEN ROETHLISBERGER QB MIAMI (OHIO)

14(14) Chicago TOMMIE HARRIS DT OKLAHOMA

15(15) Tampa Bay MICHAEL CLAYTON WR LSU

17(17) Denver (from Cincinnati) D.J. WILLIAMS OLB MIAMI (FLA.)

18(18) New Orleans WILL SMITH DE OHIO STATE

21(21) New England (from Baltimore) VINCE WILFORK DT MIAMI (FLA.)

23(23) Seattle MARCUS TUBBS DT TEXAS

26(26) Cincinnati (from St. Louis) CHRIS PERRY RB MICHIGAN

28(28) Carolina (from Philadelphia through San Francisco) CHRIS GAMBLE CB OHIO STATE

32(32) New England BENJAMIN WATSON TE GEORGIA

Hmmm...what do all these teams have in common besides drafting players that were contributing this year?
None of them play in cities with great weather?

28(28) Carolina (from Philadelphia through San Francisco) CHRIS GAMBLE CB OHIO STATE

Hmmm...what do all these teams have in common besides drafting players that were contributing this year?
I would expect a conclusion like that from one of State College's finest.

I take it I'm wrong.All of the teams had a draft slot that wasn't a prime number or have their city name and team name start with the same letter?

I take it I'm wrong.All of the teams had a draft slot that wasn't a prime number or have their city name and team name start with the same letter?
Let me give you another hint...all of the team's listed had two things not in common with the JETS.

Let me give you another hint...all of the team's listed had two things not in common with the JETS.
You sure?

You sure?
Yeah...1) Didn't trade their coach.

2) Don't have disgusting uniforms.

:P

Hey...maybe the Jets can draft someone that won't contribute to their team and you can cheer about that. The difference between teams in the salary cap era is so thin that you can't afford to leave high paid talent on the bench.

You sure?

Hey...maybe the Jets can draft someone that won't contribute to their team and you can cheer about that. The difference between teams in the salary cap era is so thin that you can't afford to leave high paid talent on the bench.
Do you think that the drafting of Rivers had anything to do with Brees' newfound success?

You sure?

Do you think that the drafting of Rivers had anything to do with Brees' newfound success?
None whatsoever. NFL QBs take time to develop. Despite what Boltbacker might think, I kind of like the Chargers and would like to see them succeed. Used to love to watch Fouts and company. I'm concerned that the window of opportunity will close by the time Rivers is contributing. IMO, the difference between the Chargers and the Jags or Steelers is neglible. I recall the Chargers losing several close games where one talented player could have tipped the balance in their favor.

Users who are viewing this thread