What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chargers to LA? (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
The City of Industry is appropriately named.

The small stretch of land directly east of Los Angeles was designed as a sanctuary for big business, a place created to circumvent heavy taxation and protect corporate interests.

It's a city where hundreds live but tens of thousands work, where the primary goal is to help businesses conduct their business.

"The idea was to allow industry to grow almost in a vacuum, without interference from residential complaints about noise, pollution and the like," said City of Industry mayor David Perez, who has just 830 constituents in a 12-square-mile area zoned exclusively for industrial use. "We have a small population because it was designed that way. Not too many people want to live next to a railroad track or an industrial park. Because of that, we have the advantage of being able to move very quickly on projects."

That's a rarity in a state known for being litigious ---- especially in regard to its strict environmental regulations ---- where major construction projects proceed at a glacial pace.

Billionaire developer Ed Roski, Jr., however, plans to build a stadium in this corporate oasis. His proposal, designed to bring an NFL team back to the nation's second-largest media market, outlines the construction of a 75,000-seat stadium surrounded by businesses, hotels and tourist attractions in a town with an estimated 7-8 million people living within a 30-mile radius.

The proposed entertainment complex would cost an estimated $800 million, with an additional $150 million in approved public money for infrastructure costs.

Outside of Industry, projects of this magnitude (i.e. Petco Park) have historically been a magnet for lawsuits. But within these business-friendly confines, red tape is disappearing at a rapid rate.

The process offers a stark contrast to the Chargers' search for a new stadium in San Diego County, a seven-year quest that has yet to result in a site.

The City of Industry project, which would be built by Roski-owned Majestic Realty, was unanimously approved by the city council in February.

While there are complaints from neighboring communities, nothing is expected to stop a project backed by Majestic's virtually unlimited resources.

Majestic Realty ---- which says it does not grant interview requests to reporters covering a team possibly looking to relocate ---- could complete the complex by 2012, but won't break ground without a tenant.

"(Roski) clearly has a very interesting project," Chargers general counsel Mark Fabiani said. "He's clearly made a lot of progress on it, but the bottom line is that he still needs a team. No one anywhere is going to build a stadium without a team. I don't know that he's any closer to getting one than he was when he started."

While the Minnesota Vikings, Oakland Raiders, Buffalo Bills and Jacksonville Jaguars all have been linked to Los Angeles ---- a market that the NFL wants to reclaim ---- the Chargers could also be a viable candidate should their local stadium search turn sour. The team can exercise an escape clause in its Qualcomm Stadium lease beginning on Feb. 1 of each year starting in 2009, with a buyout that decreases annually. The current $56 million buyout is pricey, but the payment decreases to an relatively affordable $26 million in 2011.

Chargers president Dean Spanos is friends with Roski and spoke with him last summer about the project, but remains committed to staying in San Diego.

"I know Ed Roski, and I can go on his Web site like everyone else and read all about the proposed stadium, Spanos said. "But I haven't had any specific dealings with him, nor have I spoken with him in a long time. Our focus right now is on Chula Vista. That's where we're looking."

The team admits that it won't look forever. Industry might make for an easy move, with a stadium plan in place and the legal hurdles already cleared. That might be attractive to a team that has dealt with stadium issues for years, with no end in sight.

"He (Spanos) didn't want to move seven years ago and he doesn't today," Fabiani said. "He's shown a tremendous amount of patience, but having said that, you can't do this forever. From that standpoint, it's different now. You have seven years gone by and $10 million out the door, and you do have a lot more activity in Los Angeles than you've had in the last 10 or 15 years."

There is activity in some surrounding communities as well. The city of Diamond Bar objected to the stadium proposal, and Walnut took legal action March 25 against the project based on environmental impact concerns.

"This type of litigation will not stop a project," Walnut city manager Rob Wishner said. "Essentially, it will delay the project, and in many cases that will cancel the project out. I don't see that happening here. Under these circumstances, the hope is that the negative impact to our community can be mitigated in some way."

Diamond Bar dropped its objection after approving a $20 million settlement from the City of Industry last week, and Perez believes Walnut eventually will follow suit. A local citizens group in Walnut also has taken legal action, but Majestic has the financial wherewithal to fight legal battles and keep pushing the stadium forward in a little town at the intersection of the 57 and 60 freeways.

"I'm still awed when I see the models, and realize how close this is to becoming reality," Perez said. "In my opinion, this stadium project is the biggest, most important construction project since railroads came to Southern California at the turn of the century. It will be an economic engine for the San Gabriel Valley and the entire Los Angeles area."

City of Industry

Location: The San Gabriel Valley, approximately 15 miles east of downtown Los Angeles

Founded: 1957, as a pro-business community

Size: 12 square miles

Population: 831

Registered voters: 82

Estimated number of private workers: 70,000

Proposed development

What: NFL stadium, office buildings and an entertainment complex

Site: 592 acres near the intersection of the 57 and 60 freeways

Stadium capacity: 75,000 seats, with 11,000 club seats

Estimated construction time: Two years

Estimated construction cost: $800 million

Estimated infrastructure cost (from public funds): $150 million

http://www.footballhangout.com/news.html

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2009/04/14...5940065e857.txt

I can't believe people take the city of industry site seriously. It's an awful place to locate a stadium. There's literally nothing there but rock quarries. Your nearest residential areas: duarte, el monte, west covina, irwindale, whittier, la puente. Two freeways with not enough access. An hour from downtown L.A., 1.5 from the west side.

There are 2 legitimate L.A. county sites: The colosseum (or a site near it) and the rose bowl. The residents of Pasadena will probably never allow a pro team in the rose bowl. That leaves the colosseum/downtown. Anyone talking about anywhere else in relation to L.A. is blowing smoke.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe people take the city of industry site seriously. It's an awful place to locate a stadium. There's literally nothing there but rock quarries. Your nearest residential areas: duarte, el monte, west covina, irwindale, whittier, la puente. Two freeways with not enough access. An hour from downtown L.A., 1.5 from the west side.
It's 15 or so miles from downtown LA. Maybe 20 from say, hollywood. 57 is considerably east and 60 a bit south. Industry is by the 10 and 605.One a Sunday, its in a pretty good location considering west LA would be a half hour or so and you are not far from the inland empire and even around anaheim.

It's 15 or so miles from downtown LA. Maybe 20 from say, hollywood. 57 is considerably east and 60 a bit south. Industry is by the 10 and 605.One a Sunday, its in a pretty good location considering west LA would be a half hour or so and you are not far from the inland empire and even around anaheim.
No way it takes 1/2 hour from the westside on Sunday - 45 minutes minimum, probably an hour. It's a horrible location.

Curious how you'll respond when I say, in NJ they built a stadium for two NFL teams, a basketball arena, and a horse track on swamps and it sure seems like a huge success.swamp>rock quarry?Your post seemed to lean toward established stadium locations. Are you against a new location? if so whythanks

Curious how you'll respond when I say, in NJ they built a stadium for two NFL teams, a basketball arena, and a horse track on swamps and it sure seems like a huge success.swamp>rock quarry?Your post seemed to lean toward established stadium locations. Are you against a new location? if so whythanks
I guessing it's mainly because people on the west side don't want to drive to the Inland Empire unless they are passing through on the way to Vegas.The Coliseum is the ideal location since it's central for everyone and I'm surprised that USC doesn't jump at the chance to share a $1B+ stadium with an NFL team.

Have you ever been out there??? I used to live out there when I first moved to SoCal, and let me tell you that it takes a lot longer than that to get there from LA. I have lived in LA for 9 years and I would say that it takes at least an hour to an hour and half to get there from say Beverly Hills.There is this old joke that you can tell if a person or from LA or not by the way they measure distances. If they say that they are 15 miles from the airport then they are from out of town. If they say that they are 15 minutes from the airport then they are local. The reason being is that NO ONE measures distance out here by milage, they do it by time.

I guessing it's mainly because people on the west side don't want to drive to the Inland Empire unless they are passing through on the way to Vegas.The Coliseum is the ideal location since it's central for everyone and I'm surprised that USC doesn't jump at the chance to share a $1B+ stadium with an NFL team.
It isn't USC. If you want to point a finger - if you EVER want to know why a team never hits the Colosseum - it's the Colosseum Commission. They believe their venue is the only venue that hould have a pro team yet they are usually unwilling to make it happen. This is the group of people so unwilling to cut a team into revenue, that USC was threatening to leave for the ROSE BOWL for God's sake. USC has and would share the venue again. But the CC can't get their #### together enough to make it happen and likely never will.

It isn't USC. If you want to point a finger - if you EVER want to know why a team never hits the Colosseum - it's the Colosseum Commission. They believe their venue is the only venue that hould have a pro team yet they are usually unwilling to make it happen. This is the group of people so unwilling to cut a team into revenue, that USC was threatening to leave for the ROSE BOWL for God's sake. USC has and would share the venue again. But the CC can't get their #### together enough to make it happen and likely never will.
The only way the Colliseum could be a legit NFL venueis if the blow it up and rebuild it from the ground up.The place is a total joke.

Nah, the Coliseum could be renovated much like Lambeau was. Keep the historical architectural aspects intact, but redo the inside completely. Though it has been a while, I've been to many games there and it really is a pit. The area sucks, access isn't ideal and there isn't enough parking. That said, it still is the only viable option for L.A.

On the other hand, the area around Anaheim Stadium is really the ideal place to put a football stadium. Lots of access off at least 3 freeways. Decent parking with the ability to add more and a pretty high dollar residential area within 30-45 minutes. I used to have Rams season tickets when I lived in O.C. and never had much trouble with getting there, even from work in L.A. for Monday night games.

Have you ever been out there??? I used to live out there when I first moved to SoCal, and let me tell you that it takes a lot longer than that to get there from LA. I have lived in LA for 9 years and I would say that it takes at least an hour to an hour and half to get there from say Beverly Hills.There is this old joke that you can tell if a person or from LA or not by the way they measure distances. If they say that they are 15 miles from the airport then they are from out of town. If they say that they are 15 minutes from the airport then they are local. The reason being is that NO ONE measures distance out here by milage, they do it by time.
I was thinking freeway times Sunday morning - obviously if you are in BH or someplace not by a freeway, add the appropriate time. Either way, its not nearly as far out as the 57 and all - its the 10 and 605.

Isn't the 10 and 605 the Irwindale location that Al Davis scammed $10 million from? Yeah, I'm sure it is because that's where Irwindale speedway is.....

I can't believe people take the city of industry site seriously. It's an awful place to locate a stadium. There's literally nothing there but rock quarries. Your nearest residential areas: duarte, el monte, west covina, irwindale, whittier, la puente. Two freeways with not enough access. An hour from downtown L.A., 1.5 from the west side.There are 2 legitimate L.A. county sites: The colosseum (or a site near it) and the rose bowl. The residents of Pasadena will probably never allow a pro team in the rose bowl. That leaves the colosseum/downtown. Anyone talking about anywhere else in relation to L.A. is blowing smoke.
People won't go there to live, they'll go there to watch a game. Nobody cares if it was formerly rock quarries. The freeway grid is at least as important to the site as anything else, and Industry works in that regard. Still, the biggest problem for the NFL in LA remains that there isn't a lot of clamoring for a team, and so the public dollars (especially now, with the economy in the tank and tax revenues down) aren't there, and most private parties won't build a stadium without a firm commitment from the NFL to put a team into it. And of course, the NFL for its part won't commit to putting a team into LA unless there's a stadium. LA seems to be most useful as a bargaining chip for teams to use as a threat when they're negotiating with their cities for new stadiums.

I can't believe people take the city of industry site seriously. It's an awful place to locate a stadium. There's literally nothing there but rock quarries. Your nearest residential areas: duarte, el monte, west covina, irwindale, whittier, la puente. Two freeways with not enough access. An hour from downtown L.A., 1.5 from the west side.There are 2 legitimate L.A. county sites: The colosseum (or a site near it) and the rose bowl. The residents of Pasadena will probably never allow a pro team in the rose bowl. That leaves the colosseum/downtown. Anyone talking about anywhere else in relation to L.A. is blowing smoke.
I agree. I think the REAL unspoken problem with fielding a team in Los Angeles is traffic. Traffic is so horrible that no-one wants to drive to the games and that's why it looks like there's no fans, imo. If you upgrade the infrastructure, the people will come. A stadium deal like this honestly needs to go hand-in-hand with a major investment in something like a modern elevated monorail project that services the entire region. The Los Angeles Metro Rail simply isn't expansive enough.

T Bell said:
People won't go there to live, they'll go there to watch a game. Nobody cares if it was formerly rock quarries.
Every plan involves some kind of entertainment/shops around the stadium (read the quotes in the OP for instance). I don't think those plans are feasible. And it's not a great location freeway wise either. Those 2 and the 60 don't handle traffic well at all and there are few off/on ramps in that location. It's a horrible site.

I agree. I think the REAL unspoken problem with fielding a team in Los Angeles is traffic. Traffic is so horrible that no-one wants to drive to the games and that's why it looks like there's no fans, imo. If you upgrade the infrastructure, the people will come. A stadium deal like this honestly needs to go hand-in-hand with a major investment in something like a modern elevated monorail project that services the entire region. The Los Angeles Metro Rail simply isn't expansive enough.
Having now been in Sacramento a few months - which is by no means LA or LA-like - but the light rail is a godsend. Unfortunately for LA, neither the Coliseum nor the Rose Bowl are close enough to a rail station for the LA rail to help - as you say it just isn't expansive enough. That's why when they were talking about a Stadium near downtown - not far from Staples IIRC - it made so much sense. There's just more mass transit and when you are dealing with traffic in LA, it would help.But that isn't changing anytime soon, so I don't know what will help. USC fills toe Col really easily so one thinks rabid FB fans could do the same.But LA is a bargaining chi[p - and we hear this same song every year -last year it was Jacksonville, sometimes it's Minny, sometimes it's the Bolts. Players change, tune starts, sounds and ends the same for LA.

Having now been in Sacramento a few months - which is by no means LA or LA-like - but the light rail is a godsend. Unfortunately for LA, neither the Coliseum nor the Rose Bowl are close enough to a rail station for the LA rail to help - as you say it just isn't expansive enough. That's why when they were talking about a Stadium near downtown - not far from Staples IIRC - it made so much sense. There's just more mass transit and when you are dealing with traffic in LA, it would help.But that isn't changing anytime soon, so I don't know what will help. USC fills toe Col really easily so one thinks rabid FB fans could do the same.But LA is a bargaining chi[p - and we hear this same song every year -last year it was Jacksonville, sometimes it's Minny, sometimes it's the Bolts. Players change, tune starts, sounds and ends the same for LA.
I don't think its so much that LA needs a monorail to plug directly into a new stadium. I think most fans really prefer to drive to the game, tailgate, etc. This is more about the fact that LA needs a much more expansive rail network to clear traffic congestion in general, which can have many positive results, including fans driving to the games.

I don't think its so much that LA needs a monorail to plug directly into a new stadium. I think most fans really prefer to drive to the game, tailgate, etc. This is more about the fact that LA needs a much more expansive rail network to clear traffic congestion in general, which can have many positive results, including fans driving to the games.
MONORAIL FTW!

But seriously =- I agree wholeheartedly about the need for mass transit/rail to lighten overall traffic. I was merely focusing on the sports aspect we were talking about.

Traffic in LA and how hellish it is is a much larger topic they haven't really figured out how to solve and given the disparate groups (the Bus Riders Assoc, drivers, gas companies, neighborhoods ecetera) I don't know when it happens.

To help clarify the location. The stadium will not be next to rock quarry ville on the 605 and 10 fwys.

Much better location with nice decent surrounding neighborhoods. It will be slightly farther east-south Closer to Diamond Bar and Walnut. Where the 60 and 57 fwys intersect. 12-15 minutes no traffic from originally thought location. Just North of the Grand exit. There is plenty of land here with no current use. Mostly grass fields and hills.

http://static.losangelesfootballstadium.com/map.pdf

Technically...its a great to location to accommodate 3 counties. Los Angeles County(west of stadium). San Bernardino county(east of). Orange County(south of). Los Angeles stadium will border each of the counties allowing fans from any of the large populous areas to drive in. True Los Angeles area fans will hate the drive. Then again most Los Angelinos are haters anyways. Traffic is going to suck mostly driving from Metro Los Angeles.

Try googling the Honda dealership on grand in Walnut or Diamond Bar to pinpoint the location. 5-8 minutes(no traffic) north of Cal State Fullerton on the 57 fwy....***decided to google it myself for you lazy people***Look down.

I am quite familiar with the locations discussed and the actual stadium site. I attended Cal Poly Pomona which is a few miles east of the site.

From the original discussions of this thread...I knew something was off. The 605/10 location was terrible with no real land available. The city of Baldwin Park is currently going through renovations to create a new downtown area. Forcing current home owners to vacate a large area. Very bad news to long time and short time locals.

So after loosely digging and finally having my evidence. Here we are. The site I always believed to be a decent to good spot. Even before the news or any rumors...I would drive by here and think...we could build a stadium here.

525 Grand Ave Diamond Bar, CA 91765(address of Honda Dealership allows a mapable position)

Los Angeles Stadium via Google Maps

I would certainly prefer the LA Coliseum over any venue. I attended games as a kid and would like to visit again as an adult. Did you know they don't have legitimate seats in some edge sections? Paying fans must sit on concrete seats to see the Trojans play. Ridiculous. BTW the stadium is 100% ugly concrete. Anyways. This would have to be MAJOR MAJOR rebuild. 3-4 years minimum.

Rose Bowl location is whatever. I have lived in this area for more than 10 years. A football franchise just doesn't seem appropriate here. Bad mojo. Hugely residential area with a mixture of Million dollar homes and some seedy surrounding areas.

Please refocus your rants or appreciation to the appropriate location.

That NJ location is 6 miles from Midtown Manhattan. I fail to see how any CA city can honestly entertain the idea of 150 mil expenditure given their current financial positions. In LA, its probably going to require someone footing the ENTIRE bill privately to get a stadium built - and thats a precedent the NFL would rather avoid.

Users who are viewing this thread