What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chargers To Los Angeles: The Foul Deed Is Done! (1 Viewer)

Spanos can't afford to be first fiddle. If Kroenke puts in 3/4 of the funds, he should get 3/4 of the stadium profits. I imagine the teams will make their game receipts and merchandise and such independent of the stadium agreement.
1/4 the cost plus the relocation fee is going to be upwards of $1B. Spanos can't afford anywhere near that. Something else is going to have to give.

Spanos can't afford to be first fiddle. If Kroenke puts in 3/4 of the funds, he should get 3/4 of the stadium profits. I imagine the teams will make their game receipts and merchandise and such independent of the stadium agreement.
1/4 the cost plus the relocation fee is going to be upwards of $1B. Spanos can't afford anywhere near that. Something else is going to have to give.
Spanos broke ### needs to just sell thd team

I wasn't trying to project that Kroenke will put in 3/4, just that if he puts more into the stadium, he will get a correspondingly larger share of the stadium income, with some arrangement that the separate team incomes go primarily to their owners. If Kroenke puts in 90% he get corresponding compensation. I think the Rams /TBA option is designed to put pressure on all three teams, but primarily the Rams and Chargers, to work something out they both can live with.

REPORT: Chargers get approval to join Rams in L.A.

The San Diego Chargers have been given permission, along with the St. Louis Rams, to move to Los Angeles. However, the Chargers' approval may hold some restrictions.

 TWEET SHARE PIN
The #Rams back to L.A. is done. Wherhe the #Chargers join them now or later only question

— Vincent Bonsignore (@DailyNewsVinny) January 13, 2016
So, it's done....right? Finally?

Not a chance.

It's over for the Rams, and it's over for St. Louis. Hell, it might even be over for the Oakland Raiders, but they'll likely get some sort of payout for being the odd team out.

For the Chargers, it sounds as though they'll be asked to come back and work on a deal with the city of San Diego. They'll try to get a stadium deal done (and they have reportedly already decided on Cory Briggs' citizens initiative and a downtown NFL stadium) in San Diego, with their fallback option being that they could join Stan Kroenke and the Rams in Inglewood.

This eliminates the issue of finding more than one temporary venue, and it gives San Diego the time to get a deal/vote done without the Chargers losing negotiating leverage.

Stay tuned for more as it comes in.

This is probably a best-case scenario, although it means at least another year of harsh public negotiations between Mark Fabiani and Mayor Kevin Faulconer. Before you scream, remember that it also probably means Philip Rivers is a "San Diego Charger" next year and probably for the remainder of his contract.

Old Thread.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:11 AM

J.T. the Brick opened his national radio show tonight with, "If the CBA gets settled quickly, the Chargers would be moving to Los Angeles." According to "sources in the know". :thanks: Of course that CBA thing doesn't sound like it's getting resolved shortly. Interesting information either way.
https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/583311-chargers-to-los-angeles/?p=12881219

Freakin' TommyGunz is wr....incorrect again. The guy's a machine. ;)

Sorry San Diego.

I feel bad for San Diego and St. Louis.

The NFCW does make more sense geographically now though, I'm not sure this wasn't always the plan.

How incredibly odd for the NFL to let both go. Seems like a move that is so blatant in the bottomline that they are not even bothering to hide it.

I'm glad the Chargers have go through Kroenke to get to LA. That ##### is going to make Spanos stand on his head.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad the Chargers have go through Kroenke to get to LA. That ##### is going to make Spanos stand on his head.
Doubt it. Every one is on spanos side here. This might be the final leverage to build a stadium in sd.

I cant see how they think being a tennant in la is a good idea. I bet ya the chargers play in sd this year for sure

Doubt it. Every one is on spanos side here. This might be the final leverage to build a stadium in sd. I cant see how they think being a tennant in la is a good idea. I bet ya the chargers play in sd this year for sure
If everyone was on Spanos' side Kroenke wouldn't have just handed him his lunch.

Yeah, they aren't going to NOT make the move because one or the other would have to change conferences.

No, the answer is no. Either team will move if push comes to shove, and will build new rivalries.
So many double negatives that I truly cannot not comprehend what you aren't trying to say, no?

Everything I've read says Spanos is reluctant to be a partner or tenant, especially a tenant. Has he changed his tune? $$ might do that.
:confused:

He is PUSHING to partner with the Raiders in Carson. Apparently he will even push against the drive to get him and Kroenke together to the point it pushes everything back a year which no one wants.
I think the problem is Kroenke would own the Inglewood stadium.

I don't know how much Kroenke is willing to give up, but it's a very different deal for the Chargers than what they were planning in Carson.

Edit:

Rams/Chargers makes the most sense if the NFL insists on two teams, but unless Kroenke gives SD a sweet deal they are going to take it in the shorts on revenue. They can't pay for part of the stadium AND the relocation fee. There's no way. If they want a partnership in Inglewood they are going to have to come up with a lot of cash they don't have. Again, Kroenke or the NFL is going to have to cut them a good deal.

It seems strange to take the Chargers out of San Diego and put them with the Rams in LA. It's not easy to get around Southern California. They are going to lose a lot of the San Diego fanbase and I don't think they are going to be able to garner good support for two teams in LA. I understand the draw of the LA market, but I'm just not seeing how the Chargers come out ahead in this.
Exactly. In regards to my earlier comment about Spanos' reluctance to be a tenant, it was strictly in terms of Kroenke, not Davis.

I've been going to SD off and on for the last 17 years (wife is from SD) and I try to take in a Charger game every time I'm there. Managed to see the MIA-SD game last month and as always, the energy in Qualcomm is fantastic. If you've ever been, you know it's got one of the greatest tailgating scenes around, even if it is a dump by NFL standards. If you walk around SD, most everyone is wearing Chargers gear; from my perspective, the people love the team.

I truly can't imagine SD without the Chargers and I doubt folks are going to drive north to see them play. I hope something positive comes out of the June referendum and the Chargers hold off doing anything drastic until then :(

I'm confused, might be a dumb question... but are they moving there NEXT SEASON? If so, are they going to have a temporary home since that stadium won't be built for quite a while?

I'm really glad Tampa just worked out a stadium extension with the Bucs. The NFL just proved they are willing to leave cities that don't bow to their demands. Minnesota is lucky they got their deal done.

This is a big boost to the baseball team & hockey team in Stl. They will be able to support 2 franchises well.

So if you're a St. Louis Rams fan, I assume this move makes you drop your allegiance to them? Or do some stay fans?

I remember when the Charlotte Hornets originally left, I hated them team but still had a soft spot for the players that I loved...so it was hard to fully root against them. It was only after the players from the Charlotte days went away that I full-on hated the team.

I'm really glad Tampa just worked out a stadium extension with the Bucs. The NFL just proved they are willing to leave cities that don't bow to their demands. Minnesota is lucky they got their deal done.

This is a big boost to the baseball team & hockey team in Stl. They will be able to support 2 franchises well.
There was no extension. Still goes through 2028. We will be in this boat soon enough.

I have to say if I was an Angeleno I'd rather hold out for Chargers tickets over the Rams if I thought they were both coming to town. Chargers are a more fun team with more upside. The Rams under Fisher and that QB situation and that offense, no thanks, give me Rivers & Co. in a likely bounceback year.

Interested to find out how season tickets will work at the Coliseum and whether buying them gives you first shot at tickets in the new stadium.

It says this on the Vikings site about their situation:

Automatic priority on seating in U.S. Bank Stadium.

I have to say if I was an Angeleno I'd rather hold out for Chargers tickets over the Rams if I thought they were both coming to town. Chargers are a more fun team with more upside. The Rams under Fisher and that QB situation and that offense, no thanks, give me Rivers & Co. in a likely bounceback year.
Meh....Chargers have a ton of holes to fill. By the time they get those fixed, Rivers is going to be done. Sad to see him waste his career.

Nobody cares about the Chargers in SoCal. Seriously, they don't. If they were the only football team to watch here, people find other things to watch or do. Because nobody cares about the Chargers.

Rams will bring the better visiting teams next year, I think.
And Chargers have to deal with the yearly gang visit by the Raiders.

Nobody cares about the Chargers in SoCal. Seriously, they don't. If they were the only football team to watch here, people find other things to watch or do. Because nobody cares about the Chargers.
You can say this about all sports teams in la
Yeah, look at the Lakers. I don't see Nicholson courtside much anymore...
I do. And, I go to a lot of games and watch the others on TV.
It's a weird season. The Kobe retirement thing has kept attendance steady. If they suck this bad next year, it'll be a ghost town at those games. Nicholson will still show up when he can though, he's a pretty die hard Laker fan.

Gr00vus said:
GDogg said:
TheFanatic said:
Yeah, look at the Lakers. I don't see Nicholson courtside much anymore...
I do. And, I go to a lot of games and watch the others on TV.
It's a weird season. The Kobe retirement thing has kept attendance steady. If they suck this bad next year, it'll be a ghost town at those games. Nicholson will still show up when he can though, he's a pretty die hard Laker fan.
It depends on whether they are able to land Ben Simmons in the draft or not. If they do, and he lives up to the hype, people will show up to watch the "best prospect since LeBron James." If not, and they get Ingram, or draft 3rd, then yeah, people will wait to spend their money when the Lakers put a quality product on the floor again.

Seems like Spanos has gotten himself into a pickle. He can move and be the Clippers of the NFL. He can stay and have the SD market mostly to himself. In either case he has to worry about the Raiders taking the spot he doesn't choose. The Chargers would be even more of an afterthought if the Raiders move to southern California again. Given that, seems like if he's worried about fan support he'd stay in SD. If he's just worried about franchise sales value, he should move to L.A. And if he does do that, I wonder if he's angling towards actually selling the team. From what people have posted in threads on this board, it sounds like his family might not be able to pay the tax hit that would come if they inherit the team.

Seems like Spanos has gotten himself into a pickle. He can move and be the Clippers of the NFL. He can stay and have the SD market mostly to himself. In either case he has to worry about the Raiders taking the spot he doesn't choose. The Chargers would be even more of an afterthought if the Raiders move to southern California again. Given that, seems like if he's worried about fan support he'd stay in SD. If he's just worried about franchise sales value, he should move to L.A. And if he does do that, I wonder if he's angling towards actually selling the team. From what people have posted in threads on this board, it sounds like his family might not be able to pay the tax hit that would come if they inherit the team.
Seems to me if the chargers stay in sd. The fans will keep coming. Someone texted me today that the copyright has been filed for the la chargers. Sigh. They are moving and will be the clippers

Seems to me if the chargers stay in sd. The fans will keep coming. Someone texted me today that the copyright has been filed for the la chargers. Sigh. They are moving and will be the clippers
He has to hope the Raiders don't go to San Diego or he will be left with no fan base at all. In San Diego he at least still has the current Chargers fans.

He has to hope the Raiders don't go to San Diego or he will be left with no fan base at all. In San Diego he at least still has the current Chargers fans.
Exactly. If he's moving to L.A., I bet he cashes out within 5 years.

No, you can't. Pac 12 football is huge in LA, and so is the NBA, and baseball. Even hockey is big there, The only reason why anybody said nobody cared about the NFL there were two reasons: Al Davis and Georgia Fronteire.

The Chargers - while having a big share of the SoCal market - are still in the bottom third tier of Forbes' team valuations. And it's not like moving to LA is a HUGE move. It's basically a 3 to 4 hour drive from SD, given the traffic, which can make it an 8 hour drive lol. Still, nobody really cares either way. Where I live, it's two hours south to SD, and two hours north to LA. I still have to watch SD on the TV because they have the market here, and it sucks.

sounds a lot like art modell. move the team, sell the team

How old is Spanos?

How old is Spanos?
65 years old. Looks good for his age really. An uglier Jim Belushi, but still.

The NFL kinda put him in his place. He didn't want to share the stadium with the Rams, maybe because he knew Kroenke would get all the marbles, which he wound up getting. Spanos wanted a deal with the Raiders. Like how he would be able to split a pie with Mark Davis I dunno. What I find odd is why go share the LA Coliseum now, instead of playing one more season at the Murph? Wouldn't it cost more money just to move up to LA without a real locker room and all that when you have it at the Murph? It's a real shady sort of thing the NFL put out there between the Chargers and the Raiders here. I think it's awesome, but it does put the Chargers in more of an odd situation than the Raiders.

Huh ??

Everything I've read says Spanos is reluctant to be a partner or tenant, especially a tenant. Has he changed his tune? $$ might do that.
:confused:

He is PUSHING to partner with the Raiders in Carson. Apparently he will even push against the drive to get him and Kroenke together to the point it pushes everything back a year which no one wants.
I think the problem is Kroenke would own the Inglewood stadium.

I don't know how much Kroenke is willing to give up, but it's a very different deal for the Chargers than what they were planning in Carson.

Edit:

Rams/Chargers makes the most sense if the NFL insists on two teams, but unless Kroenke gives SD a sweet deal they are going to take it in the shorts on revenue. They can't pay for part of the stadium AND the relocation fee. There's no way. If they want a partnership in Inglewood they are going to have to come up with a lot of cash they don't have. Again, Kroenke or the NFL is going to have to cut them a good deal.

It seems strange to take the Chargers out of San Diego and put them with the Rams in LA. It's not easy to get around Southern California. They are going to lose a lot of the San Diego fanbase and I don't think they are going to be able to garner good support for two teams in LA. I understand the draw of the LA market, but I'm just not seeing how the Chargers come out ahead in this.
Exactly. In regards to my earlier comment about Spanos' reluctance to be a tenant, it was strictly in terms of Kroenke, not Davis.

I've been going to SD off and on for the last 17 years (wife is from SD) and I try to take in a Charger game every time I'm there. Managed to see the MIA-SD game last month and as always, the energy in Qualcomm is fantastic. If you've ever been, you know it's got one of the greatest tailgating scenes around, even if it is a dump by NFL standards. If you walk around SD, most everyone is wearing Chargers gear; from my perspective, the people love the team.

I truly can't imagine SD without the Chargers and I doubt folks are going to drive north to see them play. I hope something positive comes out of the June referendum and the Chargers hold off doing anything drastic until then :(
This is nice to hear. I was feeling like you were when I went to Arrowhead, but on mega blast ...Best time everrrrrrr..THEY know how to tailgate lol :tebow:

Jeez they announce they're staying in SD for another year and not a single post. They really don't have any fans in SD, do they.

Users who are viewing this thread