What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chargers To Los Angeles: The Foul Deed Is Done! (1 Viewer)

Everything I've read says Spanos is reluctant to be a partner or tenant, especially a tenant. Has he changed his tune? $$ might do that.

I can see the reluctance to be a tenant. But economically being a partner would seem like a fantastic deal.

Upkeep/maintenance increases but likely does not double so the cost side would seem like a win, the two things he gives up is complete control (needing to deal with a partner to decide any changes) and booking any non football events in the football season.

Is there much of the latter going on?

The Chargers stadium situation still seems like by far the easiest to get out of and the transition from SD to L.A. seems like the easiest and most natural.

There also doesn't seem to be much wailing or gnashing of teeth by Chargers fans, at least not here. Maybe because it's offseason, maybe because this has been in the realm of possibility so long.

It seems to me that there is a real possibility that the Chargers could become the no. 2 team in L.A., kind of like the old Clippers, they could get drowned out while the nostalgia for the Rams dominates. It is a great and valuable thing to be beloved and the only game in town, which they will be forever losing. It's too bad they can never work out a stadium deal in SD, they have certainly had enough time.

Last edited by a moderator:
So for those unfamiliar with Southern California, is Inglewood further from San Diego (than Carson) , i.e. harder for existing Chargers fans to get to?

So for those unfamiliar with Southern California, is Inglewood further from San Diego (than Carson) , i.e. harder for existing Chargers fans to get to?
It's farther. With traffic, probably 2 hours from North County and 3 from San Diego.

They are going to need a lot of new fans to fill the stadium.

Everything I've read says Spanos is reluctant to be a partner or tenant, especially a tenant. Has he changed his tune? $$ might do that.
:confused:

He is PUSHING to partner with the Raiders in Carson. Apparently he will even push against the drive to get him and Kroenke together to the point it pushes everything back a year which no one wants.

Yes, Inglewood is a bit further north from Carson but not a big difference. Maybe another 15-20 minutes if you are coming up from SD.

:confused:

He is PUSHING to partner with the Raiders in Carson. Apparently he will even push against the drive to get him and Kroenke together to the point it pushes everything back a year which no one wants.
I think the problem is Kroenke would own the Inglewood stadium.

I don't know how much Kroenke is willing to give up, but it's a very different deal for the Chargers than what they were planning in Carson.

Edit:

Rams/Chargers makes the most sense if the NFL insists on two teams, but unless Kroenke gives SD a sweet deal they are going to take it in the shorts on revenue. They can't pay for part of the stadium AND the relocation fee. There's no way. If they want a partnership in Inglewood they are going to have to come up with a lot of cash they don't have. Again, Kroenke or the NFL is going to have to cut them a good deal.

It seems strange to take the Chargers out of San Diego and put them with the Rams in LA. It's not easy to get around Southern California. They are going to lose a lot of the San Diego fanbase and I don't think they are going to be able to garner good support for two teams in LA. I understand the draw of the LA market, but I'm just not seeing how the Chargers come out ahead in this.

Report: L.A. committee recommends Carson over Inglewood

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 12, 2016, 1:06 PM EST
[SIZE=1em]The full ownership might decide to go a different route.[/SIZE]But the NFL’s Los Angeles committee has spoken, and they prefer Carson to Inglewood.

According to Sports Business Daily, the league’s six-owner committee on L.A. Opportunities has recommended the Carson project which to this point has been presented as a Chargers-Raiders partnership, instead of the Rams-backed Inglewood site.

According to the report, it’s unclear if the lean toward Carson is the same as a preference for the Chargers and possibly Raiders, as the notion of Chargers-Rams pairing there remains possible.

But frankly, it’s the owners, so anything’s still possible when you put 32 very rich and powerful people who aren’t used to hearing “No ” in a room together.

The Carson project was presented by Disney CEO Bob Iger, who was recruited to the effort by committee member and Panthers owner Jerry Richardson.

The other committee members are Steelers owner Art Rooney, Giants owner John Mara, Chiefs owner Clark Hunt, Patriots owner Robert Kraft and Texans owner Bob McNair.

It’s unclear if the recommendation was unanimous. It will take 24 votes to approve any relocation, and this is clearly still a very fluid situation.

Two guys that know more than me:

lbert Breer@AlbertBreer 5h5 hours ago
Albert Breer Retweeted Michael Silver

Me too ... This has been the most likely conclusion for a few months now. It's up to the owners to broker it now.

Albert Breer added,

Michael Silver @MikeSilverAs owners meet in Houston to decide LA, I remain convinced that Rams & Chargers to Inglewood is most likely solution. Raiders would stay.
38 retweets45 likes
Retweet

Like 45
More

[SIZE=1em]The full ownership might decide to go a different route.[/SIZE]But the NFL’s Los Angeles committee has spoken, and they prefer Carson to Inglewood.

According to Sports Business Daily, the league’s six-owner committee on L.A. Opportunities has recommended the Carson project which to this point has been presented as a Chargers-Raiders partnership, instead of the Rams-backed Inglewood site.

According to the report, it’s unclear if the lean toward Carson is the same as a preference for the Chargers and possibly Raiders, as the notion of Chargers-Rams pairing there remains possible.

But frankly, it’s the owners, so anything’s still possible when you put 32 very rich and powerful people who aren’t used to hearing “No ” in a room together.

The Carson project was presented by Disney CEO Bob Iger, who was recruited to the effort by committee member and Panthers owner Jerry Richardson.

The other committee members are Steelers owner Art Rooney, Giants owner John Mara, Chiefs owner Clark Hunt, Patriots owner Robert Kraft and Texans owner Bob McNair.

It’s unclear if the recommendation was unanimous. It will take 24 votes to approve any relocation, and this is clearly still a very fluid situation.
Jason Cole ‏@JasonColeBR 57s58 seconds ago
#NFL LA comm recommends Carson site 5-1. Lone exception: #Chiefs owner Clark Hunt, who said should 1 team or none #Rams #Chargers #Raiders

The full ownership might decide to go a different route.But the NFL’s Los Angeles committee has spoken, and they prefer Carson to Inglewood.

#NFL LA comm recommends Carson site 5-1. Lone exception: #Chiefs owner Clark Hunt, who said should 1 team or none #Rams #Chargers #Raiders
Meaning Hunt is in Kroenke's corner.

The full ownership might decide to go a different route.

But the NFL’s Los Angeles committee has spoken, and they prefer Carson to Inglewood.

Meaning Hunt is in Kroenke's corner.
Makes sense....getting the Rams out of St. Louis probably helps out his Kansas City Chiefs.

I do remember reading that if the Rams ended up losing the LA sweepstakes that Kroenke will still build a stadium. It wasn't really clear as to why but I found that interesting. :shrug:

I don't know much about the Carson site, but I know Inglewood has always been up to no good.

It's weird, maybe those owners are jealous and don't want Kroenke having the L.A. football to himself, stadium and everything...
TV markets is where the $$$ is. Oak. & SD don't want Kroenke to come in and take a big piece of the pie.

If the owners are smart, they are going to use this as leverage until SD, Stl., or another city build them a stadium.

I don't understand how they can have 2 division rivals share one stadium. seems...wrong. like Superman & Lex Luthor sharing a 1 bedroom apartment.

I don't understand how they can have 2 division rivals share one stadium. seems...wrong. like Superman & Lex Luthor sharing a 1 bedroom apartment.
One team will go to the NFC. Either team Chargers or Raiders said both are willing to change conferences.

They better make sure to pat down fans for Sharpies. The bathrooms will have more graffeti than a middle school.

One team will go to the NFC. Either team Chargers or Raiders said both are willing to change conferences.
Makes more sense to me to move the Chargers. The Raider vs Chiefs/Broncos is much more intense rivalry than Charger vs Chiefs/Broncos but all I have heard was moving the Raiders out. Likely switching Raiders and Rams actually.

A few tweets circulating that said Kroenke warned the other owners against "crossing him" on the L.A. vote.

Also, in the unlikely event the Raiders and Chargers get the nod I can't see the Raiders moving to the NFC. Raiders/49ers twice a year would result in multiple fan homicides.

If I'm Mark Davis, I go scorched earth on the NFL and Goodell unless the Raiders get major concessions to miss out on L.A.

A few tweets circulating that said Kroenke warned the other owners against "crossing him" on the L.A. vote.

Also, in the unlikely event the Raiders and Chargers get the nod I can't see the Raiders moving to the NFC. Raiders/49ers twice a year would result in multiple fan homicides.
Money is power.

Money is power.
Yup...he's one of a few that could actually afford to "take on" the NFL.

Money is power.
Yup...he's one of a few that could actually afford to "take on" the NFL.
Not could, he is taking them on, just this time it is happening behind closed doors and not in court.

Money always wins.

LawFitz said:
Bucky86 said:
its done!!! RAMS CHARGERS!!!!
Why do you keep posting this in multiple threads when clearly it is not done? Poor form, dude.
I had seen a news source call it a done deal, and then they pulled it back. Made it sound like the vote had already happened.

dirtyjay said:
Bucky86 said:
Sam Farmer@LATimesfarmer 2m

2 minutes ago
First round of votes completed. Rams/TBD in Inglewood gets more votes than Raiders/Chargers in Carson. Nobody at required 24 yet.
Rams to LA is virtually a lock.
Kroenke has the money to build his own stadium. They aren't going to put Rams/Raiders there so it must be Rams/Chargers. I still don't see how the Chargers can win in that deal though. They will be playing second fiddle in someone else's stadium.

Spanos can't afford to be first fiddle. If Kroenke puts in 3/4 of the funds, he should get 3/4 of the stadium profits. I imagine the teams will make their game receipts and merchandise and such independent of the stadium agreement.

Users who are viewing this thread