What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charity Music Draft - Theme 3 (1 Viewer)

Awesome! Have you decided on your 4 cats yet?
Nope. I think it depends how the draft goes. 

I've decided on one song that I think embodies a particular genre and will pick it first and explain, but we'll see if somebody else snipes me. Half the fun! 

Nope. I think it depends how the draft goes. 

I've decided on one song that I think embodies a particular genre and will pick it first and explain, but we'll see if somebody else snipes me. Half the fun! 
I've got three of mine picked out. I'm waffling something terrible on the 4th

Yep. I'm feeling the need to write my usual reams of nonsense and this theme plays right into it.
Sounds good to me. I enjoy your "reams of nonsense." 

By the way, I agree with you about David Byrne in that thread. I'm sorry...it's just...he's too, um, I don't know how to artfully put it. He's mabye too cerebral and arrhythmic for me, though I can appreciate his genius. 

I will say this: At first glance, I'm going to have trouble with "pop" simply because defining what pop is depends on the culture at the time and the artist's output at that exact moment. Everyone from the most critically acclaimed band ever to the best soul singer/songwriter ever -- to the worst of the worst has been pop music. That requires a multi-layered, multi-faceted definition of pop, IMO.

Or one can just have fun with it and pick a pop song that embodies pop. :)  

Don't let me buzzkill it. 

By the way, I agree with you about David Byrne in that thread. I'm sorry...it's just...he's too, um, I don't know how to artfully put it. He's mabye too cerebral and arrhythmic for me, though I can appreciate his genius. 
That's kinda how he is for me, too. I recognize the talent and understand why people love him. And the band is super tight, though a little too herky-jerky for my funk palate. But his singing style just turns me off. "Cerebral" is a good term for it, plus he's just too spazzy. And I have never liked over-ironic singing (I have that problem with a lot of alt singers, not just Byrne). Byrne may have deeply felt every word he ever sang, but it doesn't sound that way to me - it sounds like he's trying to be arty and "wink wink". 

Plus, and this isn't Byrne's fault, but most of the people I knew who loved the Talking Heads when they first hit when I was in High School were people I didn't much care for. Most of them were LAX-playing, racist jocks. It's not fair of me to project that onto an entire fanbase, but idiotic ideas had in one's teenage years seem to carry on a long way.

I will say this: At first glance, I'm going to have trouble with "pop" simply because defining what pop is depends on the culture at the time and the artist's output at that exact moment. Everyone from the most critically acclaimed band ever to the best soul singer/songwriter ever -- to the worst of the worst has been pop music. That requires a multi-layered, multi-faceted definition of pop, IMO.

Yeah, this one is so broad that anything goes. If I use this category, I'm just gonna have fun with it. A lot of folks use "pop" as a put-down, but they shouldn't. You know - "I can't stand this pop crap" or "they sold out and went pop". 

idiotic ideas had in one's teenage years seem to carry on a long way.
I can't participate in the Led Zeppelin countdown because I think it's for real fans, and I was not one in high school given their demographic appeal during my high school years. It still hasn't left me. Those same kids almost ruined The Who for me, until I heard "I Can See For Miles" and asked a friend who that song was by on the classic rock station. I think I was fifteen. "The Who," he said, blankly but with an element of, "you're kidding, right?" 

The song ruled, and I was an instant convert. They had gone from the band on the bookcovers of every burner to an instant curiosity for me. But I can relate to teenage years. For sure. 

And the band is super tight, though a little too herky-jerky for my funk palate. But his singing style just turns me off. "Cerebral" is a good term for it, plus he's just too spazzy.
The band is tight. I actually used the word "spazzmatic" for Byrne when I was typing my original assessment. So I think we agree. They are very herky-jerk, and I am not much on stop/start rhythms, though sometimes it can be cool. Just not as a constant. It needs to be really well-done and minimalist for me to appreciate stop/start and herky-jerk stuff. 

I also think I have three of the four categories I'll be doing already sussed out and determined. This hasn't been difficult at all. It's been fun. I think I know why I like the songs and how they fit into the genre, and why they're defining. Interesting. Perhaps my confidence will be dulled after some rest. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't participate in the Led Zeppelin countdown because I think it's for real fans
I'm not in just because I'm lazy. Plus - and I've been listening to Zep in real time for more than 50 years - I still cannot tell you which one is "Misty Mountain Hop" and which is "Over The Hills And Far Away" just by hearing the songs.   :bag:

It's like this weird blind spot. Their song titles don't compute with me. If you held a gun to my head and asked me to hum "Tangerine" or "Four Sticks", I would not survive. Yet, I know both of them like the back of my hand. 

Plus, and this isn't Byrne's fault, but most of the people I knew who loved the Talking Heads when they first hit when I was in High School were people I didn't much care for. Most of them were LAX-playing, racist jocks. It's not fair of me to project that onto an entire fanbase, but idiotic ideas had in one's teenage years seem to carry on a long way.
This is surprising to me as that’s not the type of people I associate as Talking Heads’ fans - quite the opposite in my experience.

I can't participate in the Led Zeppelin countdown because I think it's for real fans, and I was not one in high school given their demographic appeal during my high school years. It still hasn't left me.
I submitted my Top 25 Led Zep songs the other day. I listened to them a lot in high school. There are a lot of songs by them I'm not crazy about, so whittling it down to 25 I like was easy. 

I submitted my Top 25 Led Zep songs the other day. I listened to them a lot in high school. There are a lot of songs by them I'm not crazy about, so whittling it down to 25 I like was easy. 
Oh yeah. I'm talking about my specific town and surrounding areas during the years of '87-'91, which probably brings a different demographic to the fore than you experienced. I was never a huge Zep fan, though I had their box set in my mid-twenties and did indeed listen to them often. 

You can always skip that one. 

But I figure, in this scenario, you have all the information, the aliens have none, and they’re not going to kill you because you pick a song that doesn’t meet the conventional wisdom of how to define that category. They may kill you for other reasons, though. We don’t know why they’re really here. 😂

I absolutely love Talking Heads up until Little Creatures. I don’t really care for Little Creatures and beyond, or for most of Byrne’s solo work. 

That was the point where he started to dominate the band and they became too cerebral for my liking, and the music wasn’t interesting enough to compensate. Before that, though, the music was brilliantly exuberant and it was easy to overlook any eggheadishness.

I absolutely love Talking Heads up until Little Creatures. I don’t really care for Little Creatures and beyond, or for most of Byrne’s solo work. 

That was the point where he started to dominate the band and they became too cerebral for my liking, and the music wasn’t interesting enough to compensate. Before that, though, the music was brilliantly exuberant and it was easy to overlook any eggheadishness.
I’m probably in the minority but Little Creatures may be my favorite by them - to me each song is just so catchy as hell without them losing their identity. I love their early stuff as well. They’re one of the bands I now love and dive into but only just followed the hits when I was younger. I did have a Little Creatures and Naked on cassette so maybe that’s why I’m drawn to LC as well.

Uruk-Hai said:
I'm not in just because I'm lazy. Plus - and I've been listening to Zep in real time for more than 50 years - I still cannot tell you which one is "Misty Mountain Hop" and which is "Over The Hills And Far Away" just by hearing the songs.   :bag:

It's like this weird blind spot. Their song titles don't compute with me. If you held a gun to my head and asked me to hum "Tangerine" or "Four Sticks", I would not survive. Yet, I know both of them like the back of my hand. 
You mean it's not just me?  I really like Zep, but I hardly ever know which song is which without listening to it.  When I told Mr R that he knew "The Ocean", he was skeptical.  When he heard it, he did indeed know it.

rockaction said:
At first glance, I'm going to have trouble with "pop"
I thought that one was easy.  For me, rock is the tough category.  I'm really struggling with it.  I still have no idea what to do with this one.  I don't want to give our donut connection the wrong idea.

You mean it's not just me?  I really like Zep, but I hardly ever know which song is which without listening to it.  When I told Mr R that he knew "The Ocean", he was skeptical.  When he heard it, he did indeed know it.
That's another one! Just by the title, I can't hear it in my head though I know I've heard it a bazillion times. I don't even want to admit to how many years it was before I finally figured out what that damned Viking song was titled.

Should we stick to the draft order and timeslots or change it to one pick a day any time after 11 AM ET?  Might be tough to sync up to your timeslots with the holidays.  

I'll let a few more votes roll in before deciding  and can set the draft order early in the morning, if necessary.  We'll get things kicked off at 11 ET regardless.

I like the time slots for this one.  might be a tiny bit of sniping.  

With the first two themes, I didn't think sniping was likely, but this one seems more ripe for it.  I am not a drafter so shouldn't get an official vote, but in fairness I'd go with time slots for this.  If people are traveling or unavailable during their slot, they could send their picks to someone as usual.  The FCFS favors the East Coast, too, which is kinda irritating.

I was talking to OH - in the draft under duress - tonight about the theme, and he went on a long diatribe about "rock" and its definition and how it all derived from what we might call "folk" or "blues."  That sort of definitional tension is what I was getting at with the theme, so I'll be eager to see how people discuss and (not) resolve it.  I told OH he needed to impart his impressions instead of just doing drive-bys here, as I think he has some informed ideas.

I was talking to OH - in the draft under duress - tonight about the theme, and he went on a long diatribe about "rock" and its definition and how it all derived from what we might call "folk" or "blues."  That sort of definitional tension is what I was getting at with the theme, so I'll be eager to see how people discuss and (not) resolve it.  I told OH he needed to impart his impressions instead of just doing drive-bys here, as I think he has some informed ideas.
That's a large part of my dilemma.  Half of rock is blues-based, and half isn't.  Lord only knows what prog is.

Not necessarily. Captain Cranks said he might set a draft order in the morning but that we'd be up and running by 11 EST.

Yeah I get that, but it's not all that cool to set a draft order that requires people to be in their slot less than eight hours later.  I guess we'll see.

Yeah I get that, but it's not all that cool to set a draft order that requires people to be in their slot less than eight hours later.  I guess we'll see.
Oh, I never thought of that. Well, I'm not sure what to say. I am hopeful that it works out for everybody. 

Users who are viewing this thread