What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charlotte, NC (4 Viewers)

Oink Oink the Pig said:
I'm 100% right. NC isn't exactly know for it's enlightenment and liberal ways.
As for "enlightenment", name a state more enlightened.. Idiots are everywhere.. I can give you many examples in any state you choose..

Happy that I don't live in a particularly liberal state..

To bad you aren't brave enough to spout this ignorance without using an alias.. I guess in your state they breed cowards?

Well, I've been to many places and cities in my time and the major cities of NC, Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham and Greensboro seem to be some of the more diverse and "enlightened" of the ones I've seen. To each their own.

Oink Oink the Pig said:
I'm 100% right. NC isn't exactly know for it's enlightenment and liberal ways.
As for "enlightenment", name a state more enlightened.. Idiots are everywhere.. I can give you many examples in any state you choose..

Happy that I don't live in a particularly liberal state..

To bad you aren't brave enough to spout this ignorance without using an alias.. I guess in your state they breed cowards?
NC is known as one of the progressive southern states. It's filled with liberal universities, and there are a lot of liberal areas here. There are also rural areas that still breed rednecks, but that's true in all states. Oink is just fishing for negative attention like he usually does, and stirring the pot to rile people up, and make fun of them.

Ok, so we've decided to move to the Ballantyne area and rent for a while u til e learn the lay of the Lang and decide where to buy a house.
congrats! Ballantyne is nice. I'm about 10 miles south of there in SC.
I'm due East of moleculo in NC, go to Ballantyne a ton. We've been here for 7 years and love it. We actually rented in an apartment complex right off Ballantyne Commons Parkway (I think it's a parkway) for a couple months while our house was being finished.

Ok, so we've decided to move to the Ballantyne area and rent for a while u til e learn the lay of the Lang and decide where to buy a house.
I'm due East of moleculo in NC, go to Ballantyne a ton. We've been here for 7 years and love it. We actually rented in an apartment complex right off Ballantyne Commons Parkway (I think it's a parkway) for a couple months while our house was being finished.
Did you have your house built? If so, maybe I could hit you up for some info. We are looking to rent and then build our own. Just wanted to rent for a while until we got a better sense of where we wanted to buy.

I think you should move to the Fort Mill area of SC.....rumor has it a FBG has a nice house for sale :whistle: In all seriousness anywhere in the state is kinda hard to mess up. However, if you move to CLT, I wouldn't live in Mecklenburg county simply from a financial standpoint. I'd either look in Union county, Cabarrus county or York County (South Carolina). Our taxes are basically HALF what they are in Mecklenburg county.. We have some real estate agents in the area on these boards...I think BnB is one. There is plenty here to support just about any lifestyle you choose to live.
I'll 2nd Fort Mill.And where the heck are you going Commish?
We've outgrown Fort Mill, so we are moving an exit south in the metropolis that is Rock Hill.
Wow, sorry for your loss ;-)
No worries....my wife being the snobby professor she is. We got in on the snob like development off Celanese .If my son weren't doing so well at his school, my job now 100% work from home and my wife spending 90% of her time down there, we'd be happy right where we're at.
My dad retired from the Hoechst Celanse plant on Celanese. I lived in Rock Hill for 10 years, and my parents did for 30. If you or OP needs to know anything about Rock Hill, booming metropolis that it is, feel free to PM me.

Did you have your house built? If so, maybe I could hit you up for some info. We are looking to rent and then build our own. Just wanted to rent for a while until we got a better sense of where we wanted to buy.
Yes, we did. Feel free. Moleculo and I chatted a bit when he moved down. We are together in a FBG's local league now as well.

I think you should move to the Fort Mill area of SC.....rumor has it a FBG has a nice house for sale

In all seriousness anywhere in the state is kinda hard to mess up. However, if you move to CLT, I wouldn't live in Mecklenburg county simply from a financial standpoint. I'd either look in Union county, Cabarrus county or York County (South Carolina). Our taxes are basically HALF what they are in Mecklenburg county.. We have some real estate agents in the area on these boards...I think BnB is one. There is plenty here to support just about any lifestyle you choose to live.
I'll 2nd Fort Mill.And where the heck are you going Commish?
We've outgrown Fort Mill, so we are moving an exit south in the metropolis that is Rock Hill.
Wow, sorry for your loss ;-)
No worries....my wife being the snobby professor she is. We got in on the snob like development off Celanese .If my son weren't doing so well at his school, my job now 100% work from home and my wife spending 90% of her time down there, we'd be happy right where we're at.
My dad retired from the Hoechst Celanse plant on Celanese. I lived in Rock Hill for 10 years, and my parents did for 30. If you or OP needs to know anything about Rock Hill, booming metropolis that it is, feel free to PM me.
We closed on hour house last week...close on our new one this week. Been in this area for about 5 years. It's really changing quickly and it's not really what I THOUGHT it was (for the better). To me, it's a no brainer to be in SC. Taxes alone make it an obvious choice.

We closed on hour house last week...close on our new one this week. Been in this area for about 5 years. It's really changing quickly and it's not really what I THOUGHT it was (for the better). To me, it's a no brainer to be in SC. Taxes alone make it an obvious choice.
The town I live in in Union County, NC is a little lower property tax wise than Fort Mill. I think Fort Mill is little above 0.8% and we are at 0.68%. There are "cities" in Union County that are higher, but my general area is much lower than Mecklenberg County. The schools here are fantastic as well. We looked all over and liked South Charlotte a lot better than North Charlotte and looked in Fort Mill, almost bought in Tega Cay (got my deposit back when they couldn't build what we wanted), but settled in the Weddington/Wesley Chapel area right across the border.

ETA: Had to cut out quotes because of that damn "too many images" error.

Eh, Union county offers better schools, only slightly higher taxes than SC and better state colleges.
But you have to dodge the meth labs on the way to school I say that as a meth lab exploded down by Winthrop just a few weeks ago. ZERO disagreement on the college situation though. Not many options in SC much less good ones.

Eh, Union county offers better schools, only slightly higher taxes than SC and better state colleges.
Uh oh, you moved to Marvin? I hope it doesn't change you. ;) Not sure if Mark and I will be able to sit at the same table in Hickory anymore.

A funny story from a couple weeks ago. A boy on my son's baseball team lives in Marvin Creek (they have a Tesla) and when we talked about where we live, she said something about how we were south near Waxhaw (like downtown Waxhaw is South Central - there is a real good food/bar there called Maxwell's we should hit next time). I laughed not wanting to scare her into realizing Marvin borders Waxhaw too, but honestly I don't think she would understand that even driving on Waxhaw-Marvin Road.

Totally depends on what is important to you. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to live in the Greensboro/High Point/WS area. What's wrong with living in the Charlotte area?
Well, my wife lived on the Greensboro area for a few years before we got married and she loved it there. She a,so has some friends there which helps. She also has a guaranteed job there whenever she wants it. That is a minor detail as she really won't have a problem finding something anywhere in the state though.As to your question about Charlotte, I'm not sure there is anything wrong with it. From what I've looked into it seems great. I was told to try to avoid southern Charlotte for some reason. I'm guessing the cost of living is highest in Charlotte vs. the other areas of the state minus the shore. Perhaps I'm wrong. I also have heard the Raleigh area is the hot spot. I'm thinking that is too far from Charlotte for me to do, about 3 hrs or so if I'm not mistaken.We'd like to be near a decent sized city, but not in it. We need some space. I'd love to be near some major sports, either Pro or college. It doesn't matter a great deal. We like outdoor activities, riding bikes, running, walking our dog, ect. I'd like to get into some rec sports leagues, flag football or basketball, ect.
I live in Greensboro AND have a house for sale here.

There are good adult flag football, kickball, soccer and softball leagues here. I'm sure there are basketball leagues here too.

There are tons of parks for bike riding, dog walking, and outdoor activities.

There are no less than 4 farmers markets and you could pretty much hit one every day of the week if you wanted.

Greensboro is a great town with good nightlife and close enough proximity to Charlotte, Raleigh and all the local college sports.

Hey Commish, without getting into details, how did the sale go? Good? Get around what you were asking?I ask because we might consider putting our house on the market but need a couple of things to fall into place for it to work for us.

There are good adult flag football, kickball, soccer and softball leagues here. I'm sure there are basketball leagues here too.

There are tons of parks for bike riding, dog walking, and outdoor activities.

There are no less than 4 farmers markets and you could pretty much hit one every day of the week if you wanted.

Greensboro is a great town with good nightlife and close enough proximity to Charlotte, Raleigh and all the local college sports.
My favorite farmers market is the Curb Market downtown. I love going there.

Hey Commish, without getting into details, how did the sale go? Good? Get around what you were asking?I ask because we might consider putting our house on the market but need a couple of things to fall into place for it to work for us.
Aside from the buyers (and their agent) being jackasses, it went fine. We were on the market for about two months...one of those months was the closing month. We could have gotten a bit more out of the house if we didn't have anywhere we wanted to be (a contingent offer on another house). We were on for $434,900 and sold for $430,000

Man, you guys all live far out there.
Kids? I have 3 and the suburbs is where my wife and I grew up, so not surprisingly we ended up back there. Also, the benefit of both of us working from home means no traffic worries as well. We are probably 20-30 minutes from downtown depending on lights and/or traffic. Not too bad since we don't go there a ton. We probably end up more often in the Southpark area if we want a night out sans kids, although we have been going to NoDa a bit more (love Cabo Fish Taco, and sometimes it is nice to not drop $$$$ on dinner).

Kids? I have 3 and the suburbs is where my wife and I grew up, so not surprisingly we ended up back there. Also, the benefit of both of us working from home means no traffic worries as well. We are probably 20-30 minutes from downtown depending on lights and/or traffic. Not too bad since we don't go there a ton. We probably end up more often in the Southpark area if we want a night out sans kids, although we have been going to NoDa a bit more (love Cabo Fish Taco, and sometimes it is nice to not drop $$$$ on dinner).
No kids and hopefully I'll keep it that way.

NoDa is cool but I rarely go to Cabo since it is too long a wait for what it is. I eat/drink at the cajun place a ton though.

I'm your urban guy. Right in the heart of southwest Charlotte near Sharon Rd and South Blvd.
I almost moved into an apartment over there near the LYNX station two years ago, decided it was too far from the city.
Yeah my wife won't go for an uptown address. And really neither will my wallet.
Yeah, it is pricey. At the time I was doing a job where I had to be in at 7:15 each morning, just knew I wouldn't make it if it took so long to get uptown.

Most of the neighborhoods right near Uptown are better deals with more to do. Uptown itself is pretty much a ghost town outside of working hours unless you are there to club it up.

Uh oh, you moved to Marvin? I hope it doesn't change you. Not sure if Mark and I will be able to sit at the same table in Hickory anymore.

A funny story from a couple weeks ago. A boy on my son's baseball team lives in Marvin Creek (they have a Tesla) and when we talked about where we live, she said something about how we were south near Waxhaw (like downtown Waxhaw is South Central - there is a real good food/bar there called Maxwell's we should hit next time). I laughed not wanting to scare her into realizing Marvin borders Waxhaw too, but honestly I don't think she would understand that even driving on Waxhaw-Marvin Road.
yeah, I've been to Maxwells a few times. my (former) boss used to like to take out of town colleagues there.

Marvin is funny. Drive down New Town Road coming from Marvin, into SC. On the NC side of the state line is million dollar homes. As soon as you cross into SC, it's literally trailer parks.

I remember reading once that Marvin was considering annexing a neighborhood, but didn't want to deal with sub $500k houses in their town.

so it seems like local real estate is picking back up. Two houses in my hood just sold for asking price, being on the market for a month or less. Right now, based on the sales price of these houses, i'm probably back to very close to my original purchase price in 2008.

so it seems like local real estate is picking back up. Two houses in my hood just sold for asking price, being on the market for a month or less. Right now, based on the sales price of these houses, i'm probably back to very close to my original purchase price in 2008.
Houses in my neighborhood have been moving fine for a while now, but there is no more building. Another house just went under contract, seems like it is only taking a month or two for most houses. Price wise, I am definitely still down from 2006, but I also sold my old one for more than it was worth and put a lot more options (which I wouldn't recoup) in knowing we wanted to stay here for a long, long time. I see no changes in those plans, I can't imagine moving before my kids are all off to college, which is another 12 years, so that would be 20 years in the house before even thinking of going elsewhere. Hopefully the mortgage will be gone by then as well, so who knows.

LOL, Marvin is funny. I think there is a big difference between folks that have lived there a long time (like friends we have in Hunter Oaks) and recent move ins who are way more snooty. We love where we are and there are tons of really nice homes (nicer than Marvin Creek, we looked there as well), but it seems a little less pretentious. I think Jeff Gordon is building the ridiculous mansion south of us, so I think that would put us right between where Steve Smith and Gordon live, so hopefully that ain't too bad!

That said, the lady we know there is probably more of an exception, not sure. Its funny too because her parents came to games and looked like they rolled out of one of Commish's meth labs. People are funny.

WTF is wrong with this board? I quoted 3 posts and I get the images error and not a single image in play.

Houses in my neighborhood have been moving fine for a while now, but there is no more building. Another house just went under contract, seems like it is only taking a month or two for most houses. Price wise, I am definitely still down from 2006, but I also sold my old one for more than it was worth and put a lot more options (which I wouldn't recoup) in knowing we wanted to stay here for a long, long time. I see no changes in those plans, I can't imagine moving before my kids are all off to college, which is another 12 years, so that would be 20 years in the house before even thinking of going elsewhere. Hopefully the mortgage will be gone by then as well, so who knows.
Lots of rentals and condos going up.

The town I live in in Union County, NC is a little lower property tax wise than Fort Mill. I think Fort Mill is little above 0.8% and we are at 0.68%. There are "cities" in Union County that are higher, but my general area is much lower than Mecklenberg County. The schools here are fantastic as well. We looked all over and liked South Charlotte a lot better than North Charlotte and looked in Fort Mill, almost bought in Tega Cay (got my deposit back when they couldn't build what we wanted), but settled in the Weddington/Wesley Chapel area right across the border. ETA: Had to cut out quotes because of that damn "too many images" error.
Where I am, Indian Land, SC (Fort mill, but lancaster county), is much cheaper than that. 0.38%, with the homestead exemption.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant building is done in my neighborhood. I can't compare sales to a new neighborhood with building still going on, i.e. I don't know if ours seems to move faster because there is limited inventory.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant building is done in my neighborhood. I can't compare sales to a new neighborhood with building still going on, i.e. I don't know if ours seems to move faster because there is limited inventory.
I misread and thought you were talking generally, my bad.

The town I live in in Union County, NC is a little lower property tax wise than Fort Mill. I think Fort Mill is little above 0.8% and we are at 0.68%. There are "cities" in Union County that are higher, but my general area is much lower than Mecklenberg County. The schools here are fantastic as well. We looked all over and liked South Charlotte a lot better than North Charlotte and looked in Fort Mill, almost bought in Tega Cay (got my deposit back when they couldn't build what we wanted), but settled in the Weddington/Wesley Chapel area right across the border. ETA: Had to cut out quotes because of that damn "too many images" error.
Where I am, Indian Land, SC (Fort mill, but lancaster county), is much cheaper than that. 0.38%, with the homestead exemption.
Is that millage rate or the actual %? I looked up York County and then found something on all of SC and Lancaster seemed about the same as York. You do the price of the house times 4% and then the millage rate (which looked like the 0.38 number). Effectively, it looks like it would higher than 0.38%, but I have no idea what that homestead exemption is. My effective tax rate is 0.68%, i.e. for 100k in value, I pay $680, do you pay $380 per 100k in value? If so, that is a lot cheaper than Fort Mill or us.

The town I live in in Union County, NC is a little lower property tax wise than Fort Mill. I think Fort Mill is little above 0.8% and we are at 0.68%. There are "cities" in Union County that are higher, but my general area is much lower than Mecklenberg County. The schools here are fantastic as well. We looked all over and liked South Charlotte a lot better than North Charlotte and looked in Fort Mill, almost bought in Tega Cay (got my deposit back when they couldn't build what we wanted), but settled in the Weddington/Wesley Chapel area right across the border.ETA: Had to cut out quotes because of that damn "too many images" error.
Is that millage rate or the actual %? I looked up York County and then found something on all of SC and Lancaster seemed about the same as York. You do the price of the house times 4% and then the millage rate (which looked like the 0.38 number). Effectively, it looks like it would higher than 0.38%, but I have no idea what that homestead exemption is. My effective tax rate is 0.68%, i.e. for 100k in value, I pay $680, do you pay $380 per 100k in value? If so, that is a lot cheaper than Fort Mill or us.
it's the actual percentage. I'm using this to estimate - it's pretty close to my actual bill. The 0.38% is based on a $300k house.

The millage rate is ..27 I guess?

actually, I misspoke. I don't qualify for homestead exemption. I looked up my valuation and what I paid last year. When it's all said and done, my effective tax rate is 0.5%, or $500 per $100k in value.

moleculo said:
stbugs said:
moleculo said:
The town I live in in Union County, NC is a little lower property tax wise than Fort Mill. I think Fort Mill is little above 0.8% and we are at 0.68%. There are "cities" in Union County that are higher, but my general area is much lower than Mecklenberg County. The schools here are fantastic as well. We looked all over and liked South Charlotte a lot better than North Charlotte and looked in Fort Mill, almost bought in Tega Cay (got my deposit back when they couldn't build what we wanted), but settled in the Weddington/Wesley Chapel area right across the border.ETA: Had to cut out quotes because of that damn "too many images" error.
it's the actual percentage. I'm using this to estimate - it's pretty close to my actual bill. The 0.38% is based on a $300k house.

actually, I misspoke. I don't qualify for homestead exemption. I looked up my valuation and what I paid last year. When it's all said and done, my effective tax rate is 0.5%, or $500 per $100k in value.
You freaking cheapskates need to stay off our trains and out of our arenas and stadiums.

I should have never read this thread. I managed to get my home's tax value reduced one time, but my taxes are not at .38 or .68 for that matter.

Just looked it up(2012).

Mecklenburg County .7922

PLUS

Charlotte .437

Anybody want to buy a house?

moleculo said:
stbugs said:
moleculo said:

You freaking cheapskates need to stay off our trains and out of our arenas and stadiums.
hey man, I'm not the one who completed the southern part of 485 first...or built the train right to our doorstep. Seems to me like y'all love your cheapskate southern neighbors.

yeah, I've been to Maxwells a few times. my (former) boss used to like to take out of town colleagues there.

Marvin is funny. Drive down New Town Road coming from Marvin, into SC. On the NC side of the state line is million dollar homes. As soon as you cross into SC, it's literally trailer parks.

I remember reading once that Marvin was considering annexing a neighborhood, but didn't want to deal with sub $500k houses in their town.
Completely true. I head out to the Exxon and Lowe's on 521 there and they don't even need a State Line sign there. Horse farm...million dollar home...horse farm...trailer park. Hey Honey, we're in SC now.

Users who are viewing this thread