What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cherokee Nation calls on congress to honor it's treaty (1 Viewer)

The Big Donkey

Footballguy
https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/27/us/cherokee-nation-push-for-congress-delegate-cec/index.html
"The Cherokee Nation is renewing its campaign for representation in Congress, calling on federal legislators to honor a treaty that the US government made nearly 200 years ago.

In a video released last week, the tribal nation reasserted its demand that Congress seat its delegate in the House of Representatives – a right stipulated by the 1835 Treaty of New Echota.

Under the treaty, brokered between the US government and a minority group of Cherokee leaders who claimed to represent the tribe, the Cherokee were ultimately made to give up their ancestral land in the South and relocate to present-day Oklahoma. Though a majority of the Cherokee people – including then-Principal Chief John Rossopposed the treaty, it was ratified in 1836. About a quarter of the tribe’s population died of disease, starvation and exhaustion on the resulting journey now known as the Trail of Tears...."

should be done.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/27/us/cherokee-nation-push-for-congress-delegate-cec/index.html
"The Cherokee Nation is renewing its campaign for representation in Congress, calling on federal legislators to honor a treaty that the US government made nearly 200 years ago.

In a video released last week, the tribal nation reasserted its demand that Congress seat its delegate in the House of Representatives – a right stipulated by the 1835 Treaty of New Echota.

Under the treaty, brokered between the US government and a minority group of Cherokee leaders who claimed to represent the tribe, the Cherokee were ultimately made to give up their ancestral land in the South and relocate to present-day Oklahoma. Though a majority of the Cherokee people – including then-Principal Chief John Rossopposed the treaty, it was ratified in 1836. About a quarter of the tribe’s population died of disease, starvation and exhaustion on the resulting journey now known as the Trail of Tears...."

should be done.

Certainly not too much to ask.

That should be done, and DC and our territories should also have Congressional representatives. It's insane they don't, they pay the same taxes we do

That should be done, and DC and our territories should also have Congressional representatives. It's insane they don't, they pay the same taxes we do

From the article:

If Teehee were to be seated, her role would likely be similar to other non-voting members of Congress. Though those members can’t vote on the House floor, they can vote in committee, introduce legislation and engage in debate.

Currently, the House has six non-voting members. Washington DC, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands and the US Virgin Islands are represented by a delegate, who serves a two-year term. Puerto Rico is served by a resident commissioner, who is elected every four years.

From the article:

If Teehee were to be seated, her role would likely be similar to other non-voting members of Congress. Though those members can’t vote on the House floor, they can vote in committee, introduce legislation and engage in debate.

Currently, the House has six non-voting members. Washington DC, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands and the US Virgin Islands are represented by a delegate, who serves a two-year term. Puerto Rico is served by a resident commissioner, who is elected every four years.
They should all be able to vote IMO.

From the article:

It's the difference between a territory and a state. No, they shouldn't be able to vote. That said, a deal is a deal and the Cherokee should get a delegate.

From the article:

Some of the populations are small though. For example, Cherokee Nation is at 141,000. American Somoa is at 55,000.

Some of the populations are small though. For example, Cherokee Nation is at 141,000. American Somoa is at 55,000.
We should have more congressional districts anyway. The smallest have like 1/2 million people and the largest is over 1 million.

can anyone find where the treaty actually says that ?
Article 7 of the treaty:
ARTICLE 7. The Cherokee nation having already made great progress a delegate from the , • •1. . d d • • , t th t d l d bl Cherokee nation. 1n c1v1 1zat10n an. eemmg 1t 1mportan a every proper an au a e inducement Ehould be offered to their people to improve their condition as well as to guard and secure in the most effectual manner the rights guarantied to them in this treaty, and with a view to illustrate the liberal and enlarged policy of the Government of the United States towards TREATY WITH THE CHEROKEE, 1835. 443 the Indians in their removal beyond the territorial limits of the States, it is stipulated that they shall be entitled to a delegate in the House of Representatives of the United States whenever Congress shall make provision for the same

Article 7 of the treaty:
ARTICLE 7. The Cherokee nation having already made great progress a delegate from the , • •1. . d d • • , t th t d l d bl Cherokee nation. 1n c1v1 1zat10n an. eemmg 1t 1mportan a every proper an au a e inducement Ehould be offered

I'm not sure I didn't have a stroke reading this.

I agree with the rest of the thread that the treaty be honored. It's disgraceful how we STILL treat Native Americans.

can anyone find where the treaty actually says that ?
Article 7 of the treaty:
ARTICLE 7. The Cherokee nation having already made great progress a delegate from the , • •1. . d d • • , t th t d l d bl Cherokee nation. 1n c1v1 1zat10n an. eemmg 1t 1mportan a every proper an au a e inducement Ehould be offered to their people to improve their condition as well as to guard and secure in the most effectual manner the rights guarantied to them in this treaty, and with a view to illustrate the liberal and enlarged policy of the Government of the United States towards TREATY WITH THE CHEROKEE, 1835. 443 the Indians in their removal beyond the territorial limits of the States, it is stipulated that they shall be entitled to a delegate in the House of Representatives of the United States whenever Congress shall make provision for the same

"whenever Congress shall make provision for the same"

So how are they entitled to a delegate?

Wait until we start having to give land back by these treaties, though. Or that the liberal wing of the S. Ct. rules, along with Gorsuch, that taxation and ownership of certain lands are the province of Native American settlers denied their treaty.

That's going to be ugly.

Do they? I thought they were sovereign nations. I honestly don’t know.
Yes, DC and our territories pay federal taxes and vote for president (Even though the territories do not get electoral college votes either.) As someone in support of democracy, I think this is a travesty.

Yes, DC and our territories pay federal taxes and vote for president (Even though the territories do not get electoral college votes either.) As someone in support of democracy, I think this is a travesty.
Every four years, U.S. political parties nominate presidential candidates at conventions which include delegates from the territories.[50] U.S. citizens living in the territories can vote for presidential candidates in these primary elections but not in the general election

Every four years, U.S. political parties nominate presidential candidates at conventions which include delegates from the territories.[50] U.S. citizens living in the territories can vote for presidential candidates in these primary elections but not in the general election
Correct.

I don't think this is right. They pay the same taxes as us, without the same representation.

Correct.

I don't think this is right. They pay the same taxes as us, without the same representation.

Among the inhabited territories, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is available only in the Northern Mariana Islands;[note 10] however in 2019 a U.S. judge ruled that the federal government's denial of SSI benefits to residents of Puerto Rico is unconstitutional.[53] This ruling was later overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court, allowing for the exclusion of territories from such programs.[54] In the decision, the court explained that the exemption of island residents from most federal income taxes provides a "rational basis" for their exclusion from eligibility for SSI payments.[55]

Puerto Rico is one of five inhabited U.S. territories, along with American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands and the U.S. Virgin Islands. People of these territories (except some in American Samoa) are U.S. citizens, pay federal taxes such as Social Security and Medicare – but not federal income tax — and can freely travel within the U.S.

Confusing as a lot of what's on the net contradicts itself. This is from the IRS.

U.S. territories, or possessions, are under the jurisdiction of the United States. U.S. territories can be divided into two groups:

1. Those that have their own governments and their own tax systems (American Samoa, Guam, The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands and the U.S. Virgin Islands), and
  2. Those that do not have their own governments and their own tax systems (Baker Island, Howland Island, Jarvis Island, Johnston Island, Kingman Reef, Midway Islands, Palmyra Atoll, Wake Island, and other U.S. islands, cays, and reefs that are not part of any of the fifty states).
The governments of the first group of territories impose their own income taxes and withholding taxes on their residents. To determine the income tax withholding requirements of a territory in the first group, you should consult the local tax department of that territory. The addresses of the tax authorities of the U.S. territories listed in group one above may be found in Publication 570, Tax Guide for Individuals With Income From U.S. Possessions.

Residents of the second group of territories are subject to U.S. income taxes and the withholding of federal income taxes.

Users who are viewing this thread