What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chicago Bears 2012 Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

Vikings fans celebrate this news. Maybe next year they can win in Chicago for the first time in a thousand years. Big mistake for the Bears, unless you can pull a stud coach out of thin air. But who would that be?
Mistake how? The guy couldn't keep up with today's nfl. 2 years in a row they started out great and tanked. I am happy it's finally happened

So many coaches being fired and not enough good candidates to fill the jobs. It will be interesting to see who they get. Not a Bears fan, but the OC from SF would be a good fit

Vikings fans celebrate this news. Maybe next year they can win in Chicago for the first time in a thousand years. Big mistake for the Bears, unless you can pull a stud coach out of thin air. But who would that be?
Mistake how? The guy couldn't keep up with today's nfl. 2 years in a row they started out great and tanked. I am happy it's finally happened
I elaborated my thoughts in post 2380.I think Bears fans are being myopic over this, but I'm not a Bears fan, so it's just my opinion.

The guy's made the playoffs once in the last six years.

He's 52-44 over those 6 years. Yes it's over .500, but averaging under 9 wins a season is a recipe for finding the unemployment line in the NFL.

IAS, Herb and any other outsiders that care to chime in.... is this what you'd want your organization to go into 2013 with?

Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned in the thread about Lovie:

I know that there are a million reasons to stay in the booth, I get that.......and I understand that the McCaskeys wouldn't know how to spend money if they had a book on the subject, but man, would Jon Gruden be a great fit for Chicago.

As a Packer fan, I actually thought Lovie was a good coach. Though I do agree his inability to pick a competent o coordinator was a huge deficiency. The Tice promotion was ridiculous. Chicago should be at the top of any potential candidates list. Good city, great history, 10-6 team. The only thing is the team is aging quickly

He's 52-43 over those 6 years. Yes it's over .500, but averaging under 9 wins a season is a recipe for finding the unemployment line in the NFL.

IAS, Herb and any other outsiders that care to chime in.... is this what you'd want your organization to go into 2013 with?
Surprised to read that, I didn't realize that. Look, I just remember that for several years going into seasons me and my cohorts would look at personnel and come to the consensus that The Bears were not good. And then Lovie would coach them into contention, to everyone's surprise. I realize his offenses were not great, but the offensive turnover was massive and continuity was non-existent. How much of that was Lovie's fault, I don't know. But Personally, if my team was looking for a HC or especially a DC, I'd be OK with him being the hire.

He's 52-43 over those 6 years. Yes it's over .500, but averaging under 9 wins a season is a recipe for finding the unemployment line in the NFL.

Surprised to read that, I didn't realize that. Look, I just remember that for several years going into seasons me and my cohorts would look at personnel and come to the consensus that The Bears were not good. And then Lovie would coach them into contention, to everyone's surprise. I realize his offenses were not great, but the offensive turnover was massive and continuity was non-existent. How much of that was Lovie's fault, I don't know. But Personally, if my team was looking for a HC or especially a DC, I'd be OK with him being the hire.
Really? I mean the D has always been talented enough to compete with anyone.

He's a good, but not great HC. He's a very good and possibly great defensive coach, in general. He just doesn't know anything about the offense, and has relied on his OC's throughout the years. It's really too bad that, twice now, he's been in a lame duck situation which basically prevented him from hiring an actual NFL quality offensive coordinator. They hired Tice and Martz because no one with a real resume would even talk to them without job security. Now, granted, you can still blame him for passing up on opportunities to fire Ron Turner earlier, and then replacing him before he got into the one year "prove it" zone, but, still... hard for me to happy about this as a Bears fan.

If you gave Lovie a legitimate OC, the Bears would have been far better this year. Tice was obviously over-matched, running the most simple, predictable vanilla offense ever. The buck stops with Lovie, but... they knew he was going to be hands-off on the offense, and he never had a chance to hand it off to someone competent. If there were tons of great candidates available, I would feel better about this, but I don't really believe that's the case. There may be some up and coming coordinators out there who could eventually prove to be better, but the only guys out there who could be actually make you feel good about the move is Gruden or Cowher, and those guys are almost certainly not coming to Chicago.

Is there any chance Gruden takes what he feels is the best fit over the most money? That seems like the only hope the Bears have of signing him: if they can sell him on being the bears coach on a ready-to-win team.

Is there any chance Gruden takes what he feels is the best fit over the most money? That seems like the only hope the Bears have of signing him: if they can sell him on being the bears coach on a ready-to-win team.
Would you please stop this. Lovie Smith was the 5th highest paid coach in the NFL this year. What about that makes you think they aren't willing to pay for a coach?

Would you please stop this. Lovie Smith was the 5th highest paid coach in the NFL this year. What about that makes you think they aren't willing to pay for a coach?
I'd imagine if either Gruden or Cowher come back they will want to be the highest-paid coach in the land. And I just don't see the McCaskeys winning a bidding war with anyone. It would go against the entire tenure of their ownership. They're not as cheap as they used to be but they aren't going to be the league's biggest spenders either. I'd be thrilled to be wrong.

Per KFFL:

Bears | Devin Hester to retire?Mon, 31 Dec 2012 09:28:43 -0800Chicago Bears WR Devin Hester said Monday, Dec. 31, he is not sure if he's going to continue playing in the NFL.

Per KFFL:

Bears | Devin Hester to retire?Mon, 31 Dec 2012 09:28:43 -0800Chicago Bears WR Devin Hester said Monday, Dec. 31, he is not sure if he's going to continue playing in the NFL.
think this is because of Lovie?ETADevin Hester: I am considering retirement An emotional Devin Hester told reporters that he is considering retiring from the NFL following Monday's firing of Bears coach Lovie Smith.Perhaps he'll retire as a wide receiver. It's no surprise that Bears players are a bit beside themselves on Black Monday after losing their longtime leader. No longer an impact returner and never an effective wideout, Hester finished the 2012 season with 23 catches for 242 yards and scored one all-purpose touchdown in 15 games. Hester is now 30 years old and due a big offseason roster bonus. If he doesn't retire, he may just as soon be cut.

Ken Whisenhut is a very good coach. I'd take him in a heartbeat if he is really available.

In fact, have him bring Haley with him. Combo was an eyelash away from winning a Super Bowl.

Set to interview Denver OC and Falcons ST coach. :confused: I like McCoy, but how does Armstrong even enter the discussion? That's so dumb. Toub is light years ahead of this dude. Let's hope it's to fulfill the "Rooney Rule" requirement.

Ken Whisenhut is a very good coach. I'd take him in a heartbeat if he is really available.In fact, have him bring Haley with him. Combo was an eyelash away from winning a Super Bowl.
Whisenhunt is not an upgrade of over Lovie imo. He's been a very mediocre head coach. If they're not going after one of the big names, I'd much rather have an up and coming OC. No need to hire another head coach who has proven to be no more than average.

Ken Whisenhut is a very good coach. I'd take him in a heartbeat if he is really available.In fact, have him bring Haley with him. Combo was an eyelash away from winning a Super Bowl.
Whisenhunt is not an upgrade of over Lovie imo. He's been a very mediocre head coach. If they're not going after one of the big names, I'd much rather have an up and coming OC. No need to hire another head coach who has proven to be no more than average.
See I'd much rather have a guy who has proven he can coach, but maybe just needs a new group, then a guy like McCoy who I have no clue about. Probably the same thing other teams fans are saying about Lovie. I won't be surprised if Lovie gets one of these jobs and does well.

See I'd much rather have a guy who has proven he can coach, but maybe just needs a new group, then a guy like McCoy who I have no clue about. Probably the same thing other teams fans are saying about Lovie. I won't be surprised if Lovie gets one of these jobs and does well.
McCoy has definitely showed he can run a successful offense in drastically different situations(i.e. Orton, Tebow, Peyton) Hard to say as a head coach, but that's how it is with most new hires. Reid, Gruden, Cowher, Holmgren, I don't see the Bears going after names like those. One can hope, though.

Not good enough to make the playoffs. Not bad enough to get a high draft pick.

That's a recipe for mediocrity.

And I'm a guy who would LOVE for his team to play "mediocre" football. :kicksrock:

Not good enough to make the playoffs. Not bad enough to get a high draft pick.That's a recipe for mediocrity. And I'm a guy who would LOVE for his team to play "mediocre" football. :kicksrock:
Understand with how bad the Raiders have been, but it gets incredibly frustrating.

Is it just me or has anyone else avoided the 2013 thread just because Benson came back around just to start it? He's been MIA in this one forever and the day the season is over comes back to start a new one... Seriously that has to be an alias right???

Is it just me or has anyone else avoided the 2013 thread just because Benson came back around just to start it? He's been MIA in this one forever and the day the season is over comes back to start a new one... Seriously that has to be an alias right???
you're avoiding a thread just because of who opened it?

ok, maybe it's just me :) , and i'll admit i'm half kidding. I'll be in there sooner or later, but yeah, i freely admit I saw the thread go up and my first thought was ANYONE but benson.

ok, maybe it's just me :) , and i'll admit i'm half kidding. I'll be in there sooner or later, but yeah, i freely admit I saw the thread go up and my first thought was ANYONE but benson.
You've never made a topic and posted in the Shark Pool twice(today) in the last two months...and you're concerned about me having an alias :lmao: I stopped posting in the SP because many members aren't after discussion. They make fun of, want attention, need entitlement, go on fishing trips. My time is more valuable than that. In other news I got rid of facebook.If you want to discuss all things Bears i'll be in the new thread, happy new year.

You've never made a topic and posted in the Shark Pool twice(today) in the last two months...and you're concerned about me having an alias :lmao: I stopped posting in the SP because many members aren't after discussion. They make fun of, want attention, need entitlement, go on fishing trips. My time is more valuable than that. In other news I got rid of facebook.If you want to discuss all things Bears i'll be in the new thread, happy new year.
:lmao: that is pretty damn funny... didn't realize it's been that long since I posted in this thing! I'll see you in there sooner or later to talk some bears football, and I have to admit, i saw the first line of your thread and am interested in seeing why you thought the firing was a bad idea. I'll get off my ### and check it out some time.

It's not just you, and it's defintely not alias. "Sweetness", on the other hand, seems likely.

Users who are viewing this thread