What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** A dynasty begins... (3 Viewers)

Really frustrated by the logic here. We are potentially trading Johnson, which doesn’t reflect well on management and indicates giving up on this year, but we are trading a high second pick for sweat? Why solve Washington’s problem? Why not just sign him as a free agent AND have the 35th(ish) pick in the draft? We actively don’t want to be better this year, we aren’t going to the playoffs. A team in the Bears position is wiser to tank hard and fully evaluate all personnel for 2024 and beyond.
Besides that, have to fill Johnson’s spot. If you’re serious about building with Sweat, resign Johnson also. That’s how you build a team, accumulate talent and not reshuffle it.

Really frustrated by the logic here. We are potentially trading Johnson, which doesn’t reflect well on management and indicates giving up on this year, but we are trading a high second pick for sweat? Why solve Washington’s problem? Why not just sign him as a free agent AND have the 35th(ish) pick in the draft? We actively don’t want to be better this year, we aren’t going to the playoffs. A team in the Bears position is wiser to tank hard and fully evaluate all personnel for 2024 and beyond.
Besides that, have to fill Johnson’s spot. If you’re serious about building with Sweat, resign Johnson also. That’s how you build a team, accumulate talent and not reshuffle it.
Exactly. They have money, what are they waiting for? Why not sign Johnson? He’s the third ranked (pff) corner in football right now. Maybe I’m wrong, but if they trade him, won’t they lose the possibility of a nice compensatory pick for him? If you can’t sign him, why not just go that route? I’ve been a bears fan for 40 years (since I was 6) but the last 10-ish years are really, really trying my patience.

Really not sure what to make of this move for Sweat, now that Chase Young has been dealt to the 49ers for a late third round pick. Sure seems like the Bears got fleeced. I'm waiting to really lose my mind until I hear that they've traded Johnson for a 4th.

Really not sure what to make of this move for Sweat, now that Chase Young has been dealt to the 49ers for a late third round pick. Sure seems like the Bears got fleeced. I'm waiting to really lose my mind until I hear that they've traded Johnson for a 4th.
I don't mind the Sweat move in a vacuum, as quality young pass rushers are tough to find. But I'm a little surprised at the likely 50 pick difference in compensation for Young vs Sweat.

Really hope they don't give Johnson away. Need at least a 2 in my opinion.

I don't mind the Sweat move in a vacuum, as quality young pass rushers are tough to find. But I'm a little surprised at the likely 50 pick difference in compensation for Young vs Sweat.

Young is younger than Sweat - the trade-value disparity baffled me too.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. NFL circles do seem to think Sweat is a more complete player currently, but that is a large value difference.

I think I'd rather have Young for a third than Sweat for a 2, but its close.

Glad Johnson stayed. If Poles can lock up Johnson and Sweat long term, it was worth it.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. NFL circles do seem to think Sweat is a more complete player currently, but that is a large value difference.

Glad Johnson stayed. If Poles can lock up Johnson and Sweat long term, it was worth it
Wasn't the pick for Young a compensatory third? Even if it is SF's pick we are talking about a LATE 3rd vs an EARLY 2nd. We should be intimately aware of the value of early 2nd round picks, after the claypool disaster.

Glad Johnson stayed. If Poles can lock up Johnson and Sweat long term, it was worth it
Wasn't the pick for Young a compensatory third? Even if it is SF's pick we are talking about a LATE 3rd vs an EARLY 2nd. We should be intimately aware of the value of early 2nd round picks, after the claypool disaster.
I'm souring on Poles more and more as time goes on. I had high hopes for a bit, but his highlights to date are completing a tank, lucking into the first pick and fleecing the Panthers.

I liked the Edwards signing. Didnt hate the Walker deal either. Everything else has been bad or still to early to know for sure.

I'm in no way defending Poles here, but if the Bears lock up Sweat long term they got a pro bowl caliber DE in his prime at hopefully a salary consistent with his production. For a second round pick that if we're being honest about, we'd probably screw up.

The thing I do like about the young/Sweat trades is now there is another clear measuring stick on Poles as a GM. It won't be hard to see how he did on this trade in a year from now.

Also for more context, there are no top tier edge rushers in this draft. I.e. probably taking one with their first two picks. Sweat is probably better than any DE we'd get in the mid-late 30s of the draft.
I hear you, and I'm not trying to argue just for argument's sake, but this is exactly what we heard about the Claypool trade - there wouldn't be any free agent wide receivers available, so he had to buy high. That rationale seems comical now, given how bad claypool is and the relative wealth of talent in the draft. My main point is that the Bears aren't in position for a big move up. They are not contenders this year, they are actively costing themselves draft capital by adding an impact player. The smart move would be to wait and get the best available edge in free agency AND have the pick.

Also for more context, there are no top tier edge rushers in this draft. I.e. probably not taking one with their first two picks. Sweat is probably better than any DE we'd get in the mid-late 30s of the draft.

I don't think it's a bad move at (as someone mentioned upthread, in a vacuum.) I did a deep dive a big copy pasta from PFF on both the Bears OL and DL in the Week 8 game thread to highlight how unfocused the current rebuild has been. You gotta acquire blue chip players while you're in the QB rookie contract window, which reopens (again) in 6 months for the Bears.

Also for more context, there are no top tier edge rushers in this draft. I.e. probably taking one with their first two picks. Sweat is probably better than any DE we'd get in the mid-late 30s of the draft.
I hear you, and I'm not trying to argue just for argument's sake, but this is exactly what we heard about the Claypool trade - there wouldn't be any free agent wide receivers available, so he had to buy high. That rationale seems comical now, given how bad claypool is and the relative wealth of talent in the draft. My main point is that the Bears aren't in position for a big move up. They are not contenders this year, they are actively costing themselves draft capital by adding an impact player. The smart move would be to wait and get the best available edge in free agency AND have the pick.
I do agree with you. My initial reaction was that a 2nd was too much. This team is going nowhere and isn't even competitive against good NFL teams. Sweat offers little this year outside of maybe worsening our draft position.

As long as Poles has a long term plan with this trade, I can at least understand it. Adding quality talent at important spots in their primes is great for any team. Bears just stink because we need to use draft capital to do it.

Since the Bears can't draft, I'm not too upset by it, but fully realize this isn't how dynasties are built. This is how bad teams get competitive for a couple years.

The bar is so low that a trade like this has to be rationalized for my sanity as a Bears fan.

At least without a second I know we can't draft a CB there and now have to pay Johnson... so maybe a win there

Last edited:
Also for more context, there are no top tier edge rushers in this draft. I.e. probably not taking one with their first two picks. Sweat is probably better than any DE we'd get in the mid-late 30s of the draft.

I don't think it's a bad move at (as someone mentioned upthread, in a vacuum.) I did a deep dive a big copy pasta from PFF on both the Bears OL and DL in the Week 8 game thread to highlight how unfocused the current rebuild has been. You gotta acquire blue chip players while you're in the QB rookie contract window, which reopens (again) in 6 months for the Bears.
Unfocused rebuild is the nice way to put it. I'm happy Poles didn't throw big money at players that don't deserve it just to fill holes on the team.

Those holes sunk this team this year. If they can't be fixed in the draft, I'm ok not going into the off-season forced to compete with other bad teams to spend top dollar on a young DE.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in Sweat. Early in his career he was vulnerable to the run but that's not true any longer. He sticks to his assignments and is quite disruptive, and unlike Young he is usually available to play.

Unfocused rebuild is the nice way to put it. I'm happy Poles didn't throw big money at players that don't deserve it just to fill holes on the team.

Those holes sunk this team this year. If they can't be fixed in the draft, I'm ok not going into the off-season forced to compete with other bad teams to spend top dollar on a young DE.
We suck. We don't have Bellicheck or Reid. Teams that suck that have a ton of cap space should be aggressive. In a dream world we can be conservative and calculated. That's not this world. Poles sucks and has done nothing right. He deserves no praise.

The deal makes sense to me but looks like I am in minority. Again, I’m predicating that on Sweat signing long term.

I think people are undervaluing Sweat a lot. He is an upper echelon d-end. Bears get him signed long term and that solves a huge need.

I still think they should wait on a qb and focus on accumulating young talent. If they secure the 1 they can trade it for a kings ransom. Get those lines taken care of.

Does the Sweat deal make it seem like the Bears are more confident about Fields moving forward? If you're tanking for one of the top QBs, you don't make a move like that.

The deal makes sense to me but looks like I am in minority. Again, I’m predicating that on Sweat signing long term.

I think people are undervaluing Sweat a lot. He is an upper echelon d-end. Bears get him signed long term and that solves a huge need.

I still think they should wait on a qb and focus on accumulating young talent. If they secure the 1 they can trade it for a kings ransom. Get those lines taken care of.
The Bears need to tie their next QB to a coaching staff at the same time.

Fans are tired of the cycle of a QB not drafted by that coach or GM and going into a rebuild every 4 years.

This coaching staff needs to go. If there are any lingering questions on Fields after this year, he needs to go out the door with this staff.

Does the Sweat deal make it seem like the Bears are more confident about Fields moving forward? If you're tanking for one of the top QBs, you don't make a move like that.
I can't see how we're more confident in JF right now.

They ruled him out for Sunday's game on Monday after being doubtful for 2 weeks and telling everyone he is improving.

Seems like they want more Bagent evaluation or are tanking

The Bears need to tie their next QB to a coaching staff at the same time.

Fans are tired of the cycle of a QB not drafted by that coach or GM and going into a rebuild every 4 years.

This coaching staff needs to go. If there are any lingering questions on Fields after this year, he needs to go out the door with this staff.
Why are we letting Poles pick another coach?

Looks like Poles negotiating against himself AGAIN. Not really sure he's good at his job.

Also, doesn't Sewat's agent have Poles bent over a barrel? If they don't already have contact terms agreed to, he can ask for anything. Poles may be on the hot seat and this CAN'T be a rental or that would likely cost Poles his job.

Sneaking over here from my WAS Commanders thread. Forget where they were drafted, Sweat is the better player, and by a good bit. I'm sad to see him go. You guys got a stud. Chase is still living off his college and rookie year. He's just not that good. Sweat is.
Thanks for this info. I shall try to focus on the high points of the move. With our luck, though, sweat won’t sign a long term deal.

Sounds about right for his contract. Seems like what he would have gotten on the open market, so it is what it is at this point. He's signed.

Excited to see him as a Bear, although I don't think this move goes down as a win for Ryan Poles.

Holy overpay.
Man, why do we do this to ourselves? If Poles didn't get an extension done, he's a moron. If he pays a market value contract, he's a moron. Dude just can't win. Some of y'all said that Poles traded for Sweat without considering an extension. Poles (or any NFL GM) are too smart for that. You just don't give up a high 2nd without doing some due diligence and having an extension close to ready. The truth is, Poles signed one of the best edge rushers in the game to a contract that isn't even top 5 in the league. Heck, it's only 4.5mil more than the franchise tag for 2023 which will absolutely be higher in 2024. The Bears weren't going to get that with pick 33-40. Hell, even 1st round Edge rushers have a hit rate under 45%. Would you rather have a known producer or a coin flip?

Frustrating game to watch. First half was solid. D looks better.

Playcalling and coaching are still bad.

Saints aren't a very good team either.

This team needs a coaching enema. There's enough talent on the team right now even with Bagent starting to be a borderline playoff team.
I'm over this team's playcalling and coaching. We just can not make adjustments like other coaching staffs can. Outside of the KC game, we've been a solid first half team. Everything always falls apart in the second half when the staff fails.

Bears are about the only team in the league who could add a premier DE and get a worse pass rush as a result.

This team needs a coaching enema. There's enough talent on the team right now even with Bagent starting to be a borderline playoff team.
I'm over this team's playcalling and coaching. We just can not make adjustments like other coaching staffs can. Outside of the KC game, we've been a solid first half team. Everything always falls apart in the second half when the staff fails.

Bears are about the only team in the league who could add a premier DE and get a worse pass rush as a result.
It is maddening. I can't tell if it's incompetence, stubbornness, or both. Particularly with the defensive play calling, but also to a similar extent with the offense.

Currently Bears projected to have 2nd (from CAR) and 3rd (theirs) in the draft. The way Arizona has looked I don't see them getting the 1st overall for 2024 by record. However playing Fields gives the possibility for him to go off and get a win they may not have otherwise gotten thus dropping their own pick from 3rd to 7th or further. Not playing Fields right now tells me this is a he's injured, we're not really tanking move.

I have seen some mocks that have Harrison Jr going 1st, but I cant honestly see a world where Caleb Williams doesn't get drafted 1st overall.

That said I don't think the belief in or lack thereof of Fields is relevant, i.e. whether they believe in Fields (and thus take Marvin Harrison Jr with the 2nd and another position of need with the 3rd), or they don't believe in Fields and take Drake Maye at 2nd and Harrison Jr with the 3rd. The approach the Bears are taking is to secure that 2nd/3rd pick as much as they can within their control.

Users who are viewing this thread