What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** A dynasty begins... (6 Viewers)

If the Bears really want to show that they're a different franchise, they'll take the best tackle available at 9 and have 2 young studs protecting their new QB for years to come. Their receiving core is above average at this point and plenty good to not spend the 9th pick on another.
100%. So sick of having o line issues.
Agreed. Braxton would be a great transition/rotational OT. Can you imagine the depth on the OL if we can somehow get ALT and then get a OC in the 3rd?
I think Braxton is fine. Bears have a bigger hole at Edge and WR3 to some extent.

I find all the talk of addressing the OL a bit hypocritical since several posters say our OL is fine and JF made then seem worse than they are.

We've signed a starting center, two OTs, traded a 5th for Bates and talking about using a first and third to address the OL... that doesn't scream "OL is fine" to me.
Woah. I was the guy calling for Chris Morgan's head midway through the season. I also think that the OL significantly contributed to Fields' lack of development and made some of his flaws appear more acute. WHICHEVER QB is under center, I want to see a dominant OL blocking for him. That's why I prefer seeing the Bears spend a 1st on a OT and a 3rd on an OC. With WR1 and WR2 locked up, we can be more frugal with WR3-5. I expect they will re-sign ESB as WR5 mostly for his blocking ability. They got Pettis, who's probably the WR4. Go get a solid WR3 in free agency and that room is golden.

If the Bears really want to show that they're a different franchise, they'll take the best tackle available at 9 and have 2 young studs protecting their new QB for years to come. Their receiving core is above average at this point and plenty good to not spend the 9th pick on another.
Agreed. Braxton would be a great transition/rotational OT. Can you imagine the depth on the OL if we can somehow get ALT and then get a OC in the 3rd?
I think Braxton is fine. Bears have a bigger hole at Edge and WR3 to some extent.

I find all the talk of addressing the OL a bit hypocritical since several posters say our OL is fine and JF made then seem worse than they are.

We've signed a starting center, two OTs, traded a 5th for Bates and talking about using a first and third to address the OL... that doesn't scream "OL is fine" to me.
You wouldn't love having a perennial top 5 offensive line?
Not when we have the 31st ranked pass rush.

Woah. I was the guy calling for Chris Morgan's head midway through the season. I also think that the OL significantly contributed to Fields' lack of development and made some of his flaws appear more acute. WHICHEVER QB is under center, I want to see a dominant OL blocking for him. That's why I prefer seeing the Bears spend a 1st on a OT and a 3rd on an OC. With WR1 and WR2 locked up, we can be more frugal with WR3-5. I expect they will re-sign ESB as WR5 mostly for his blocking ability. They got Pettis, who's probably the WR4. Go get a solid WR3 in free agency and that room is golden.
I wasn't calling you out specifically. I thought our OL was middle of the road last season. The interior of the line was trash, while the tackles played well.

There has been a lot of back on forth here that the OL looked worse than they are because of JF, so that's why I'm fascinated to see people advocating for such a heavy investment.

I'm fine with a mid round pick on the IOL to push Davis.

I just can't see a reason to replace Braxton Jones with a first round pick when the Bears have bigger holes.

Jones rated as the 34th OT in the league last season and only gave up 2 sacks. That's a better than average starter.

If they really think an OT at 9 is the BPA, I can get behind it, but hopefully they move Jones at that point.

I agree WR1 and 2 are set. It's a bit gross after that. Scott hasn't shown he should be WR4, but probably is going to get that spot. I'm ok with Pettis and ESB (if we bring him back) at 5/6. Velus should be cut. I agree a mid-level wr3 fits the bill, but I also see value in taking a WR early in the draft to fill the #3 spot in 2024 and move up in 2025. Allen turns 32 this year which is typically when the WR decline begins, so I see a ton of benefit of having a young WR learn from him.

I'm not saying OT is my first desire at 9 but if it did happen I'd be fine with it and it would be great to have a dominant o line. Dallas Turner is at the top of my list at 9. I hate hearing the wr talk when neither of our lines are totally set.

I'm not saying OT is my first desire at 9 but if it did happen I'd be fine with it and it would be great to have a dominant o line. Dallas Turner is at the top of my list at 9. I hate hearing the wr talk when neither of our lines are totally set.
I can get behind OT or edge. It's likely they'll get the top edge guy in the draft at 9. Probably #2 OT if they go that route. Either is fine

The guy I really like (and I assume he's gonna start moving up draft boards) is Byron Murphy. That said, if by some fluke Alt or Odunze fall, I'd have a hard time passing on them. If its any of the other OTs, I think I'd pass, especially Fashanu who i think is closer to OT5 than OT1.

The guy I really like (and I assume he's gonna start moving up draft boards) is Byron Murphy. That said, if by some fluke Alt or Odunze fall, I'd have a hard time passing on them. If its any of the other OTs, I think I'd pass, especially Fashanu who i think is closer to OT5 than OT1.

Yeah, love Murphy. But we have no idea where he is on draft boards. He could go top ten because he's always been there. BigDraft Inc. pretends to know where nfl teams are on these guys, but they don't. They never do. Then they say this guy fell and this guy moved up. No, that's not what happened most times. Most times they were wrong from the start. Not all but most. They create and believe their own narratives. Anyway, sorry for making this point quoting you. It's just bugging me today, because I'm digging in and finding several things I think the narrative has wrong. Murphy is one. He's really good and DT is a premium for many teams. I wanted him for Dallas, saw it possible in many mocks, and well, no. He isn't going to last that long.

Yeah, love Murphy. But we have no idea where he is on draft boards. He could go top ten because he's always been there. BigDraft Inc. pretends to know where nfl teams are on these guys, but they don't. They never do. Then they say this guy fell and this guy moved up. No, that's not what happened most times. Most times they were wrong from the start. Not all but most. They create and believe their own narratives. Anyway, sorry for making this point quoting you. It's just bugging me today, because I'm digging in and finding several things I think the narrative has wrong. Murphy is one. He's really good and DT is a premium for many teams. I wanted him for Dallas, saw it possible in many mocks, and well, no. He isn't going to last that long.
Murphy and DeJean are 2 guys I see mocked around 20 or so, and I think they are the 2 best defensive players in this class. I am somewhat encouraged that PFF agrees with me, though they seem to REALLY love the CB class in general, with 5 CBs in their top-15 overall.

Murphy and DeJean are 2 guys I see mocked around 20 or so, and I think they are the 2 best defensive players in this class. I am somewhat encouraged that PFF agrees with me, though they seem to REALLY love the CB class in general, with 5 CBs in their top-15 overall.
Would love of at least one cb went before the Bears.

Well, that was certainly embarrassing. We got hosed by the Steelers.
At least the fields saga is over.
They didn't get hosed. If there was a better offer out there, they would've taken it.

In sales there's a saying: Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I'm a little flabbergasted being a Fields fan. I'm also throwing away my fantasy lenses.

Poles panicked and the Steelers ate his lunch again.

Now what's the plan for a #2 QB? Or heck why should I even think there is a plan. Poles is probably happy to go into the season with an undrafted rookie as a backup again.

This has been inevitable for months, as some of us have been saying. The Bears were never going to keep Fields. Sadly, Poles overplayed his hand and held out for too much and ended up getting nothing.

Well let the Williams era begin. The prodigy is here. Hard to think Fields was only worth a 6th. Something seems wrong w that valuation
No. It's just the people in here who love Fields are unwilling to admit the NFL didn't value him as much as they did.
Hard to get an idea as to his true ability. He played with awful coaches and offensive playmakers that were loysy outside of Monty and DJ. The Bears ruined this kid.

Well let the Williams era begin. The prodigy is here. Hard to think Fields was only worth a 6th. Something seems wrong w that valuation
No. It's just the people in here who love Fields are unwilling to admit the NFL didn't value him as much as they did.

Yup. I'm guilty as charged but the market has spoken. Trey Lance was worth more. Mac Jones worth the same.
The “top” QBs in the Fields draft class are for the most part forgettable

I'm pretty shocked his market was that bad. Always thought they could at least get a 4th for him. But Poles wasn't lying when he said he'd do right by Fields. Sent him to the best possible place to win a starting job and a good coach.

Well, that was certainly embarrassing. We got hosed by the Steelers.
At least the fields saga is over.
They didn't get hosed. If there was a better offer out there, they would've taken it.
Yes, they did. A panic move, plain and simple. I would have rather kept him and got the comp pick down the line.
This was never going to happen. It was obvious he wasn't going to be on the team next year for months now. We said that.

I don't understand the mentality. For once, it feels like the Bears are trying to build an offense around what's soon to be the top QB in the draft, and people are crying about not keeping the past qb an extra year or that they didn't get a 4th instead of a 6th for him. This is next level misery.

Everything shifts to what happens at 9.

Regardless of the player or position they could take - will they stay here or draft down?

This entire off season just feels like typical Bears plugging in veterans with Williams being the missing piece.

I don't understand the mentality. For once, it feels like the Bears are trying to build an offense around what's soon to be the top QB in the draft, and people are crying about not keeping the past qb an extra year or that they didn't get a 4th instead of a 6th for him. This is next level mi
Do they just cancel William’s Pro Day?

Now what's the plan for a #2 QB? Or heck why should I even think there is a plan. Poles is probably happy to go into the season with an undrafted rookie as a backup again.

Best way to ruin a qb room, can't keep them both.
It makes no sense to do it any other way. Poles said he was going to do right by Fields. Keeping him an extra year and taking a season from his career for a couple extra round draft pick would be ****ty

It makes no sense to do it any other way. Poles said he was going to do right by Fields. Keeping him an extra year and taking a season from his career for a couple extra round draft pick would be ****ty

Not only that, but these athletes are people too. No one in any job wants to be replaced when they think they didn't get a fair chance to begin with, plus no new guy wants to take someone's job and then have that guy around looking over their shoulder just hoping they will fail so they get another chance.

To be honest, I don't give a flying 'eff about Fields and his feelings. His check is still going to clear every week.

Worked fine for GB for two decades.

Not even close to the same thing.
Sure, of course it's not.

Not only that, but these athletes are people too. No one in any job wants to be replaced when they think they didn't get a fair chance to begin with, plus no new guy wants to take someone's job and then have that guy around looking over their shoulder just hoping they will fail so they get another chance.
Very fair point. It sucks, but it had to happen.

I swear if we come out of this draft with drake f'ing Maye, I'm going to burn my signed sweetness jersey and be done with this miserable franchise. Maybe I'll take up pickleball.
Pickelball is the fastest growing sport in America and TONS of fun. But I hope you don't have to burn your jerseys. ;)

I swear if we come out of this draft with drake f'ing Maye, I'm going to burn my signed sweetness jersey and be done with this miserable franchise. Maybe I'll take up pickleball.
Keep the Sweetness jersey dump the Bears like a bad habit. If Williams isn’t an immediate impact they can go slide into Lake Michigan

Pickelball is the fastest growing sport in America and TONS of fun. But I hope you don't have to burn your jerseys. ;)
Sorry, not trying to crap on pickleball. It looks fun. Much more fun that following the bears 99% of the time.

Best way to ruin a qb room, can't keep them both
I wanted Caleb to at least earn the job. JF would eventually play his way out of it.

Now JF goes into a pure backup role with zero chance of starting.

Bears Also have no "mentor" QB on the roster and FA is slim because we waited too long.

Users who are viewing this thread