What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** A dynasty begins... (6 Viewers)

Just to get some chatter going: with the draft a week away, who is your dream scenario at 1 and 9? What's your worst case scenario?
I've gone on record plenty of times saying Caleb/Odunze was my choices in the first, but I'd be just as happy with Nabers, Alt or Turner at 9.
Worst case (since Williams at 1 is a lock short of him wrecking his car in the next few days) is Poles taking a CB at 9. I really hate this year's crop of CB. Actually, worst case is if Odunze, Nabers, Turner or Alt is there and they trade down. I'd probably lose my mind if that happened.
Why do you hate this CB class? Its not the best class or anything, but I think its pretty on par with any of the classes of the last 8 years, other than the Stingley/Sauce/McDuffie class. I do really like DeJean and Mitchell, and Arnold feels safe, it maybe not the highest ceiling.

Personally, I'd much rather take a CB than Turner, though I'd have no issues with a trade down if Alt, Odunze, and Bowers (unlikely, but interesting) are gone.
I just don't see a special enough talent at CB to take in the top 20. Just personal preference . I'm really not a huge fan of the defensive players in this draft as a whole. A lot of similar talent players. At 1 and nine, I want a sure thing stud.
Also, I forgot to list Bowers. While he wouldn't be at the top of my list, I certainly wouldn't hate it if they took him.
I do wonder if this defensive draft is underrated. Like in 2021, where the top 7 picks were all offense, and BY FAR the best player so far was a defensive player, and the best offensive player was an OL.
Who would you want at 1 and 9? Would you take a CB or maybe trade down to get one?
I mean, I think we all are of the opinion of Caleb at #1 is a no-brainer. #9 is a little more interesting. Personally, I don't like the DE class all that much, and would pass there, though I could certainly see it being the pick. I actually like Latu the most of the DEs, but I wouldn't take him at #9.

I wouldn't hate Cooper DeJean, as I think he's the best defensive player in the draft, but I also think he can be traded down for. I wouldn't be against a trade up for Harrison or Alt, as long as they didn't deal the 2025 1st. I think my priorities would be:

1. Trade up for Harrison (if QBs go 1-4), I don't think they NEED another WR, as I think Keenan Allen is playing as well as he has in his career, but Harrison is generational.
2. Trade up for Alt (might only need to go to #7), Braxton Jones is an ok starter, but Alt is a FAR better talent.
3. Stay put and take Nabers/Odunze if there, probably a 50-50 they go before Alt.
4. Stay put and take Bowers, new OC loves 2-TE sets, and while Kmet/Everett is solid, they aren't anywhere near Bowers talent level.
5. Trade down, with the intention of getting a 2 back, so maybe into the mid to high teens. Maybe someone moves up for Bowers, or an OL? Hope DeJean makes it there, or Latu, or one of the DTs.
6. Stay put and take DeJean.

Just to get some chatter going: with the draft a week away, who is your dream scenario at 1 and 9? What's your worst case scenario?
I've gone on record plenty of times saying Caleb/Odunze was my choices in the first, but I'd be just as happy with Nabers, Alt or Turner at 9.
Worst case (since Williams at 1 is a lock short of him wrecking his car in the next few days) is Poles taking a CB at 9. I really hate this year's crop of CB. Actually, worst case is if Odunze, Nabers, Turner or Alt is there and they trade down. I'd probably lose my mind if that happened.
Why do you hate this CB class? Its not the best class or anything, but I think its pretty on par with any of the classes of the last 8 years, other than the Stingley/Sauce/McDuffie class. I do really like DeJean and Mitchell, and Arnold feels safe, it maybe not the highest ceiling.

Personally, I'd much rather take a CB than Turner, though I'd have no issues with a trade down if Alt, Odunze, and Bowers (unlikely, but interesting) are gone.
I just don't see a special enough talent at CB to take in the top 20. Just personal preference . I'm really not a huge fan of the defensive players in this draft as a whole. A lot of similar talent players. At 1 and nine, I want a sure thing stud.
Also, I forgot to list Bowers. While he wouldn't be at the top of my list, I certainly wouldn't hate it if they took him.
I do wonder if this defensive draft is underrated. Like in 2021, where the top 7 picks were all offense, and BY FAR the best player so far was a defensive player, and the best offensive player was an OL.
Who would you want at 1 and 9? Would you take a CB or maybe trade down to get one?
I mean, I think we all are of the opinion of Caleb at #1 is a no-brainer. #9 is a little more interesting. Personally, I don't like the DE class all that much, and would pass there, though I could certainly see it being the pick. I actually like Latu the most of the DEs, but I wouldn't take him at #9.

I wouldn't hate Cooper DeJean, as I think he's the best defensive player in the draft, but I also think he can be traded down for. I wouldn't be against a trade up for Harrison or Alt, as long as they didn't deal the 2025 1st. I think my priorities would be:

1. Trade up for Harrison (if QBs go 1-4), I don't think they NEED another WR, as I think Keenan Allen is playing as well as he has in his career, but Harrison is generational.
2. Trade up for Alt (might only need to go to #7), Braxton Jones is an ok starter, but Alt is a FAR better talent.
3. Stay put and take Nabers/Odunze if there, probably a 50-50 they go before Alt.
4. Stay put and take Bowers, new OC loves 2-TE sets, and while Kmet/Everett is solid, they aren't anywhere near Bowers talent level.
5. Trade down, with the intention of getting a 2 back, so maybe into the mid to high teens. Maybe someone moves up for Bowers, or an OL? Hope DeJean makes it there, or Latu, or one of the DTs.
6. Stay put and take DeJean.
I think Chicago is in a great spot to stay put at #9. There will still be an elite prospect there. I don't think #9 is a spot to reach for need, but its probably around where Dallas Turner would come off the board.

I think QBs go 1-4 with MHjr 5.

Alt
Odunze
Nabers
Bowers
Turner

Are my next 5 prospects and that is probably the order I'd rank them.

Good topic. Here are my preferences as they stand:

1.Stay put at 1.09 to take Odunze. I like his combination of size and speed and think that another big/strong/fast target will be necessary to bring Caleb along.
2. Stay put and take Alt or Nabers.
3. Trade down into the middle of the 1st and get Verse/Latu + draft capital.
4. Trade down to the bottom of the 1st to get a JPJ or Barton who can add rotational depth to the IOL and eventually step into the starting OC spot ++ draft capital.

Top 30 Tracker

Chicago Bears​

Players will be added here when visits are confirmed.

• Caleb Williams, QB, USC
  • Dylan Laube, RB, New Hampshire
  • Rome Odunze, WR, Washington
  • Jha’Quan Jackson, WR, Tulane
  • Malik Nabers, WR, LSU
  • Xavier Worthy, WR, Texas
  • Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia
  • Ben Sinnott, TE, Kansas State
  • Kiran Amegadjie, OT, Yale
  • Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma
  • JC Latham, OT, Alabama
  • Graham Barton, OL, Duke
  • Trevor Keegan, OL, Michigan
  • Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
  • Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama
  • Laiatu Latu, DE, UCLA
  • Chop Robinson, DE, Penn State
  • Bryce Gallagher, LB, Northwestern
  • Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
  • Nehemiah Pritchett, CB, Auburn
  • Elijah Jones, CB, Boston College
  • Cam Hart, CB, Notre Dame

Lathem is the name on that last who scares me the most. I think he's a decent prospect, but he seems like the type of OT Pace likes. #9 is early for him, but that didn't seem to matter to Pace last year either.

Top 30 Tracker

Chicago Bears​

• Malik Nabers, WR, LSU
  • JC Latham, OT, Alabama
  • Laiatu Latu, DE, UCLA

Lathem is the name on that last who scares me the most. I think he's a decent prospect, but he seems like the type of OT Pace likes. #9 is early for him, but that didn't seem to matter to Pace last year either.
Worthy is the name that scares me the most. Or maybe Chop Robinson. Combine warrior types.

Top 30 Tracker

Chicago Bears​

• Malik Nabers, WR, LSU
  • JC Latham, OT, Alabama
  • Laiatu Latu, DE, UCLA

Worthy is the name that scares me the most. Or maybe Chop Robinson. Combine warrior types.
Im happy with Chop as a late Rd1 pick if we end up in that range. Worthy is too inflated for my liking. I'd take him at #75, but he'll be long gone before then.

Top 30 Tracker

Chicago Bears​

• Malik Nabers, WR, LSU
  • JC Latham, OT, Alabama
  • Laiatu Latu, DE, UCLA

Im happy with Chop as a late Rd1 pick if we end up in that range. Worthy is too inflated for my liking. I'd take him at #75, but he'll be long gone before then.
Chop makes me nervous because he's such a projection. Adisa Isaac was a better DE at Penn St in my eyes, though obviously Robinson is a better athlete. I have a bit of an aversion to rawer DE in round 1. Probably why I like Latu more than Turner as well.

Speaking of guys of the visit list, and the #75 pick, I liked Andru Phillips quite a bit. Very physical CB, who can play inside or outside. He's not a #1 CB, but I think his talent level is equal to, or maybe higher than Stevenson or Gordon.

My preference order for what to do with pick 9:

1. Trade down to the late teens or so and draft Jared Verse, Laiatu Latu, Byron Murphy, or Brian Thomas
2. Trade down to the last 1st and draft Chop Robinson
3. Stay at 9 and draft Nabers or Odunze
4. Trade down and draft someone else
5. Stay at 9 and draft someone else
6. Trade up

Though of course with a trade it depends on the details.

I got a feeling someone is going to fall in love with Penix (Broncos?) and want to trade up to #9 ahead of Minnesota (11).

Bears are in the catbird seat with that pick.

1. Trade down to the late teens or so and draft Jared Verse, Laiatu Latu, Byron Murphy, or Brian Thomas
6. Trade up

What do you like about Chop Robinson? He makes me pretty nervous, and I'm not sure he's even the best Penn State DE.

6. Trade up

What do you like about Chop Robinson? He makes me pretty nervous, and I'm not sure he's even the best Penn State DE.
Great athleticism and great pressure rate / pass rush win rate / PFF pass rush grade (basically any way of evaluating pass rushers besides sacks). See graphs like this and this and this.

I got a feeling someone is going to fall in love with Penix (Broncos?) and want to trade up to #9 ahead of Minnesota (11).

Bears are in the catbird seat with that pick.
Minn or the Giants could move to 3,4,or 5, they really want McCarthy. I’m not sold on Penix being a 1st rounder with his injury past.

Regarding pick 9. I think Alt, Odunze or Nabers are the must take guys. If those 3 are gone we can hopefully find a trade partner in the teens, pick up a 2nd and maybe a 4th, and take Murphy or the guy from Oregon I can't think of at the moment.

Would it be possible for the Bears address one of their needs by trading their 9th and a 2025 pick to the Bengals for their first rounder and Tee Higgins? They could then pick up a DL at 18. Or would the Bengals first rounder be too low for a quality lineman?

Would it be possible for the Bears address one of their needs by trading their 9th and a 2025 pick to the Bengals for their first rounder and Tee Higgins? They could then pick up a DL at 18. Or would the Bengals first rounder be too low for a quality lineman?
I think a rookie WR at #9 would be a lot better than Higgins, possibly talent wise, but certainly financially.

I think a rookie WR at #9 would be a lot better than Higgins, possibly talent wise, but certainly financially.
Agreed. The Bears cannot afford to build a team and have 3 WRs on 2nd/3rd contracts.

So ready for the draft. I almost can't do any more pre-draft Bears talk at this point.

Rival talk... I think we assume the Vikes are going QB in RD1. Who don't you want them to end up vs who you hope they get.

Don't: McCarthy

Do: Nix, Maye.... Lesser extent Penix.

So ready for the draft. I almost can't do any more pre-draft Bears talk at this point.

Rival talk... I think we assume the Vikes are going QB in RD1. Who don't you want them to end up vs who you hope they get.

Both Maye and McCarthy worry me. Either could be great in that system. They have enough weapons that any better than average QB could feast.

I think Minnesota trading with the Chargers makes too much sense to not happen. They likely take McCarthy there.
Detroit will go defense. I'm thinking bpa of DE, CB or Safety
GB, who knows. They are always a wild card. I could see either side of the line, CB, Safety.

I keep on hearing about us trading down. You were gifted two premium picks. Take Caleb at one than take Alt, Nabers, Odunze, or Bowers at 9. Heck, I'd even take Dallas Turner. Go for quality, not quantity for a change.
It's a mistake to think the team turn around happens right away. It probably won't happen until next year when some other pieces can be added (like o-line, DE, DT).

I think Maye has the highest ceiling of any QB in this class. There is Josh Allen upside, and I really don't want to see him with the Vikings weapons. Would much rather see McCarthy or Daniels there, and obviously Nix or Penix. Ideally Penix, though a huge Vikings fan friend of mine (25+ years) has said he hates Nix so much he'd stop rooting for them if they take him, so I'm tempted to root for that.

I keep on hearing about us trading down. You were gifted two premium picks. Take Caleb at one than take Alt, Nabers, Odunze, or Bowers at 9. Heck, I'd even take Dallas Turner. Go for quality, not quantity for a change.
It's a mistake to think the team turn around happens right away. It probably won't happen until next year when some other pieces can be added (like o-line, DE, DT).
Agree here. Take what remains of the top 3 wides or Bowers. They have a lot of capital in next year’s draft and should be targeting improvement this year. Not the time to get cute or stupid

I think Maye has the highest ceiling of any QB in this class. There is Josh Allen upside, and I really don't want to see him with the Vikings weapons. Would much rather see McCarthy or Daniels there, and obviously Nix or Penix. Ideally Penix, though a huge Vikings fan friend of mine (25+ years) has said he hates Nix so much he'd stop rooting for them if they take him, so I'm tempted to root for that.
Nix is my least favorite of this class by far. Its going to be interesting to see how Minny, Denver and Vegas go about their QB plans. All three should be eager to trade up for their guy and not get stuck with leftovers.

My buddy is a Raiders fan and is convinced they are trading up to #3 for Daniels.

Nix is my least favorite of this class by far. Its going to be interesting to see how Minny, Denver and Vegas go about their QB plans. All three should be eager to trade up for their guy and not get stuck with leftovers.

My buddy is a Raiders fan and is convinced they are trading up to #3 for Daniels.
It would behoove the Patriots to trade down for a haul to load up and take a QB next season. We'll see who the highest bidder will be in a few days. Either way, it's good for the Bears because it pushes the big 3 WR (and Alt) down the list.

It would behoove the Patriots to trade down for a haul to load up and take a QB next season. We'll see who the highest bidder will be in a few days. Either way, it's good for the Bears because it pushes the big 3 WR (and Alt) down the list.
The key is McCarthy. We're all assuming he goes before us, but I'm not certain of that. 1-3 is Williams, Maye, Daniels in whatever order. There will have to be a trade for another qb to go.

The key is McCarthy. We're all assuming he goes before us, but I'm not certain of that. 1-3 is Williams, Maye, Daniels in whatever order. There will have to be a trade for another qb to go.
If McCarthy is there at 9, I'd be happy to trade back to 12-13 and get another 3rd

If McCarthy is there at 9, I'd be happy to trade back to 12-13 and get another 3rd
I think if a team is trading up from the teens to #9 for Mccarthy, it would be at least another 2nd round pick, depending what slot. For me, if one of the blue chips (odunze, nabers) is there, I would just draft them and forget about the trade down. If not, I would try to trade down at least once and get some more picks. BPA at the back of the first, with a focus on defense, and then try to snag 2x WRs in the 2nd/3rd (depending on picks), because the WR class is so deep, I expect quality starters into the 4th round.

I can guarantee Poles' phone will blow up if JJM makes it to 9. It's a great position to be in, honestly and Poles has really bought into taking the BPA in these drafts with a slight nod to need.

I can guarantee Poles' phone will blow up if JJM makes it to 9. It's a great position to be in, honestly and Poles has really bought into taking the BPA in these drafts with a slight nod to need.
The issue I see with that, is why would McCarthy make it to #9? There's no reason Atlanta wouldn't trade down from #8 to a team wanting JJ.

The issue I see with that, is why would McCarthy make it to #9? There's no reason Atlanta wouldn't trade down from #8 to a team wanting JJ.
Normally I'd say you're right, but Atlanta doesn't always make sense. They'll probably draft a DB or something

I think they'd jump at the chance to take Alt at #8 assuming he's still there. But yes, if he's gone, they could very well trade down.

After Alt and the receivers, there is no reason to stay at 9. We don't need Bowers and Turner is not much different than like 3 other defensive lineman.

After Alt and the receivers, there is no reason to stay at 9. We don't need Bowers and Turner is not much different than like 3 other defensive lineman.
Odd to me Bears’ fans wouldn’t want Bowers. He makes that offense close to lethal.

Odd to me Bears’ fans wouldn’t want Bowers. He makes that offense close to lethal.
I'd gladly take him. I'd rather have the WRs or Alt first, but he'd make a great 'consolation prize'.

I would take him if he is there and the top 3 WR are gone

Bears are in a prime spot. Given the WR depth, I'd trade back to the 11-14 range for a second round pick. Not a fan of Bowers for the Bears. Cmet is a very good TE and taking up 4.5% of the cap space. If you add Bowers at 9 that's another 2%, Everett is 3%.. Can't tie up 10% of your cap space on TE when you have DJ Moore and Keenan Allen to feed.

For the first time in history, the Bears are on the verge of having a top tier QB. So what do they trade the #1 pick for?

Bears are in a prime spot. Given the WR depth, I'd trade back to the 11-14 range for a second round pick. Not a fan of Bowers for the Bears. Cmet is a very good TE and taking up 4.5% of the cap space. If you add Bowers at 9 that's another 2%, Everett is 3%.. Can't tie up 10% of your cap space on TE when you have DJ Moore and Keenan Allen to feed.
I had honestly forgotten about Everett. Still think that Bowers is a top 5 weapon in this draft and he’s a guy that just bleeds football.

You think about the dominant teams and offenses in recent memory and they all seem to have great players at TE. Kelce, Kittle, LaPorta, Andrews. Those teams were in championship games. Gronk with the Pats and Bucs.

I agree they’re probably spending too much money there though to use a top 10 pick on Bowers.

Devil's advocate here. Bowers isn't a traditional TE. He's a guy that you move around a LOT to cause matchup problems. Allen in the slot complicates this a bit, but a Kmet and Bowers duo would compliment DJM/Allen a great deal especially with a rookie QB coming in. In very clear words, I'd prefer one of the big 3 WRs but I don't think Bowers would be a terrible pick by any means.

Building an offense around Kmet & Bowers is tricky to do well. If the coaching staff wants Bowers and has a plan to make it work then they could go for it and that could be good (especially if they get him after a little trade down, e.g. see who falls to the early teens out of Turner/Latu/Murphy/Bowers). But I wouldn't encourage them from outside to go after Bowers.

Everett is not that relevant. He's on a 1-year $6.5M deal, with a team option to keep him a second year for $5.5M. If they draft Bowers then Everett is gone after 1 year and they waste a few million dollars from overprioritizing their TE3. Or they could trade Everett before this season, eat his $2M signing bonus, and maybe add a late-round pick from a team who would be happy to have Everett this season for $4.5M (with a team option for 2025).

Building an offense around Kmet & Bowers is tricky to do well. If the coaching staff wants Bowers and has a plan to make it work then they could go for it and that could be good (especially if they get him after a little trade down, e.g. see who falls to the early teens out of Turner/Latu/Murphy/Bowers). But I wouldn't encourage them from outside to go after Bowers.

Everett is not that relevant. He's on a 1-year $6.5M deal, with a team option to keep him a second year for $5.5M. If they draft Bowers then Everett is gone after 1 year and they waste a few million dollars from overprioritizing their TE3. Or they could trade Everett before this season, eat his $2M signing bonus, and maybe add a late-round pick from a team who would be happy to have Everett this season for $4.5M (with a team option for 2025).
I agree that Everett's presence shouldn't preclude them from drafting Bowers, but I don't think signing a free agent and then trading them before they take a snap is a good look from an organizational perspective.

Are they really building the offense around those two? Moore is signed at least through '25; Poles has talked about extending Allen, and for the most part Poles has been pretty open and honest with fans.

Bowers makes sense (after a trade down) in that the Bears may already be making a significant non-draft investment at WR.

I would argue they are building an offense around Williams. Playmakers. Options. Uber talented guys. The Bears simply need to take what comes to 9 for the offense. If Alt drops they bolster the OL. If a top 3 WR drops, plug em in. Bowers certainly brings value and complicates things for defenses. Honestly, anything can happen. Pumped for tomorrow. Appreciate the perspectives here. I just hope they don’t fudge this up. I remember the trade down for Grossman and Haynes. Really makes a difference to leverage the top talent. I think trade down makes sense if they are firm on DL. 24 hours now. Bears on the clock. Would be awesome to see them grab two uber studs that turn this organization around in a rival team’s city

Ummm....they just did this with Fields. I doubt Everett is sniffing the return Fields did. You might have to trade Everett and a late round pick to get off that contract once Bowers and Cmet are on your roster.

Devil's advocate here. Bowers isn't a traditional TE. He's a guy that you move around a LOT to cause matchup problems. Allen in the slot complicates this a bit, but a Kmet and Bowers duo would compliment DJM/Allen a great deal especially with a rookie QB coming in. In very clear words, I'd prefer one of the big 3 WRs but I don't think Bowers would be a terrible pick by any means.
If I'm the Bears and I don't think Allen and Moore are enough firepower, I'm trading up for Harrison if he's a generational talent.

Users who are viewing this thread