What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** A dynasty begins... (3 Viewers)

Bears are in a prime spot. Given the WR depth, I'd trade back to the 11-14 range for a second round pick. Not a fan of Bowers for the Bears. Cmet is a very good TE and taking up 4.5% of the cap space. If you add Bowers at 9 that's another 2%, Everett is 3%.. Can't tie up 10% of your cap space on TE when you have DJ Moore and Keenan Allen to feed.
Devil's advocate here. Bowers isn't a traditional TE. He's a guy that you move around a LOT to cause matchup problems. Allen in the slot complicates this a bit, but a Kmet and Bowers duo would compliment DJM/Allen a great deal especially with a rookie QB coming in. In very clear words, I'd prefer one of the big 3 WRs but I don't think Bowers would be a terrible pick by any means.
If I'm the Bears and I don't think Allen and Moore are enough firepower, I'm trading up for Harrison if he's a generational talent.
I'm happy with WR 1-2. If the Bears are being honest there is massive hole at WR3. If the Bears don't draft a WR in rd1, they need to go sign Tyler Boyd.

Tyler Scott, Dante Pettis and Velus Jones are poor options. Scott could get better, but he is not ready for the WR3 role.

Bears are in a prime spot. Given the WR depth, I'd trade back to the 11-14 range for a second round pick. Not a fan of Bowers for the Bears. Cmet is a very good TE and taking up 4.5% of the cap space. If you add Bowers at 9 that's another 2%, Everett is 3%.. Can't tie up 10% of your cap space on TE when you have DJ Moore and Keenan Allen to feed.
Devil's advocate here. Bowers isn't a traditional TE. He's a guy that you move around a LOT to cause matchup problems. Allen in the slot complicates this a bit, but a Kmet and Bowers duo would compliment DJM/Allen a great deal especially with a rookie QB coming in. In very clear words, I'd prefer one of the big 3 WRs but I don't think Bowers would be a terrible pick by any means.
If I'm the Bears and I don't think Allen and Moore are enough firepower, I'm trading up for Harrison if he's a generational talent.
I'm happy with WR 1-2. If the Bears are being honest there is massive hole at WR3. If the Bears don't draft a WR in rd1, they need to go sign Tyler Boyd.

Tyler Scott, Dante Pettis and Velus Jones are poor options. Scott could get better, but he is not ready for the WR3 role.
This exactly. Plus Allen has a pretty significant injury history and we don't need to be going back to the days of DJ, Scott and Pettis as the 1, 2 and 3.

This exactly. Plus Allen has a pretty significant injury history and we don't need to be going back to the days of DJ, Scott and Pettis as the 1, 2 and 3.
I feel like if the Bears wait until Rd3 to pick a WR, they still need to go sign a solid vet. Someone in the Chark, Gallup, D. Robinson, MVS tier. Totally agree they could benefit from another WR who has reps at the NFL level.

It's a deep WR class. Plenty of NFL WR2s in round 3. I don't know exactly want the Bears needs are, but if I could trade an AllPro WR1 for a HOF caliber center, an AllPro safety, and a WR2 I'd be all over it. Good chance there's another Dell and Puka in this class.

Ok everyone, shoot your shot here. Who will be Chicago's picks tonight? Will they trade down (or up)?
I'm sticking to what I've been saying all along: Caleb Williams and Rome Odunze. It just makes too much sense. Plus they already started to bond on the plane ride to Detroit. ;)

It's a deep WR class. Plenty of NFL WR2s in round 3. I don't know exactly want the Bears needs are, but if I could trade an AllPro WR1 for a HOF caliber center, an AllPro safety, and a WR2 I'd be all over it. Good chance there's another Dell and Puka in this class.
Look back at the last 20 years of drafts. Dell and Puka are Zebras in a herd of horses.

Ok everyone, shoot your shot here. Who will be Chicago's picks tonight? Will they trade down (or up)?
I'm sticking to what I've been saying all along: Caleb Williams and Rome Odunze. It just makes too much sense. Plus they already started to bond on the plane ride to Detroit. ;)
Makes too much sense and this would be my ideal outcome.

CHGO played a clip referencing Poles having a firm set draft plan for Rd1. To me that means he is drafting at 9 as well. Its where the blue chip talent is and we need more of that. IF the Bears become a playoff Team next year we might not sniff a top 10 pick for a while. Maximize the return on a premium pick.

That said... I would support a trade down in Rd 1 if it addresses DL or maybe OL.

My "you've got to be kidding me, but that's the Bears for ya" is picking Verse at 9. In the back of my head this is almost what I expect.

Alt won't be an option. Rome is inevitable.

I'm gonna say Caleb (duh) and I think they plug the middle of that DL with Byron Murphy from Texas at 9. I initially had Odunze penciled in there but leaning Murphy now for a few reasons.

CHGO played a clip referencing Poles having a firm set draft plan for Rd1. To me that means he is drafting at 9 as well. Its where the blue chip talent is and we need more of that. IF the Bears become a playoff Team next year we might not sniff a top 10 pick for a while. Maximize the return on a premium pick.

That said... I would support a trade down in Rd 1 if it addresses DL or maybe OL.

My "you've got to be kidding me, but that's the Bears for ya" is picking Verse at 9. In the back of my head this is almost what I expect.
We think alike. I don't know why, but I get a sneaking suspicion Verse is in play at 9 (and I hate it).

We think alike. I don't know why, but I get a sneaking suspicion Verse is in play at 9 (and I hate it).
If they take Verse with either Turner or Latu on the board I will be pretty peeved.

If they take Verse with either Turner or Latu on the board I will be pretty peeved.
I'd like Verse around 15 but even there its a bit of a need pick. Talent wise he may be closer to #20.

I like Turner a lot more. Verse/Latu are close in my eyes.

Williams and Odunze here unless Nabers drops possibly Alt which I doubt. Im in the camp that they have zero business reaching for DL at this spot. Trade down a few spots get a second and then get your DL. Don’t botch this up for the love of everything good in this world. 39 year drought is enough

Jesus, the hot rumor going around is that Chicago is going to take Byron Murphy.
I can't do it anymore, can we please fast forward this day about 5 hours.

What I think happens: They trade down due to only having 4 picks and take a defensive player (DeJean? Latu? Newton?) somewhere in the teens.

What I hope happens: QBs go 1-4. They trade up for Marvin Harrison at #5, and don't have to give up the 2025 1st to do it.

Most disappointing scenario: They stay at #9, top-3 WRs all are gone, and they take Brian Thomas, because he's so physically talented, and think what he could learn form Allen/Moore.

Yeah I'm not sure where I heard the Murphy rumor but it was from multiple sources.

I think I'd prefer Odunze and it sounds like he and Caleb already have a solid personal rapport so I'd sure like to see that duo be in place for a decade. DJ Moore and Keenan Allen are nice and all, but Odunze profiles as a game-changer for many years. We'll see what happens.

My preference order for what to do with pick 9:

1. Trade down to the late teens or so and draft Jared Verse, Laiatu Latu, Byron Murphy, or Brian Thomas
2. Trade down to the last 1st and draft Chop Robinson
3. Stay at 9 and draft Nabers or Odunze
4. Trade down and draft someone else
5. Stay at 9 and draft someone else
6. Trade up

Though of course with a trade it depends on the details.
Thinking about this some more, here's an alternative breakdown:

Good:
* trading down, getting a reasonable return, drafting someone who is not a reach, and not taking OT
* drafting a top 3 WR at 9
* a cheap trade-up for Harrison or Nabers (e.g., if the cost is just moving down from 75 to the early 4th)

Bad:
* trading up (other than a cheap trade-up for a top 2 WR)
* drafting an OT
* drafting someone else at 9

Great:
* a trade-down with a good return & a good player (e.g. adding a 2nd rounder and getting Byron Murphy)
* drafting Harrison or Nabers at 9

Fun fact: in 2023 Braxton Jones was the #1 offensive tackle in the entire NFL in Average Length Of Engagement (ALOE) on passing plays where the ball was thrown past the line of scrimmage. That's the length of time until either the blocker was beaten or the ball was thrown.

Some of that is because Justin Fields held onto the ball for a long time (and this is one stat where that makes his blockers look better instead of making them look worse), but it's also a sign that Jones is a fine starter and the Bears should not be using a premium pick to try to replace him.

What if Rome and Nabers are both available?
Goodness all but coin flip. Maybe Odunze has a bit more versatility on being a slot guy and ability to play outside. Very physical guy w great hands. Nabers is a burner. Optimal position to be in

What if Rome and Nabers are both available?
While I'm good with either one, I think Odunze fits a rookie qb better. They are very different types of WR.

There is a report from the draft that Odunze's agent was saying his client wasn't getting past Chicago and that 'he's going to cheering for the Bears real soon '.

Look back at the last 20 years of drafts. Dell and Puka are Zebras in a herd of horses.
Godwin.

Well its official now. The Caleb Williams era officially begins. Hopefully the Bears won’t be picking first for a long time. Moving on to 9 and whatever happens next.

Users who are viewing this thread