What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chiefs put LJ on Trade Block (1 Viewer)

thehornet

Footballguy
I personally don't see a trade getting done, but stranger things have happened.

FOXSports' Jay Glazer reports that in addition to Tony Gonzalez, the Chiefs have put Larry Johnson on the trade block.

Kansas City's decision to hand L.J. a $45.05 million contract two Augusts ago after a 416-carry campaign looked like a mistake then and like even more of one now. The Chiefs' demands for Johnson are unlikely to be met, but if he was dealt K.C. would likely roll with a combo backfield of Kolby Smith and Jamaal Charles. The NFL trade deadline is on Tuesday. Oct. 12 - 1:17 pm et

Source: Profootballtalk.com

FOXSports' Jay Glazer reports that in addition to Tony Gonzalez, the Chiefs have put Larry Johnson on the trade block.

Kansas City's decision to hand L.J. a $45.05 million contract two Augusts ago after a 416-carry campaign looked like a mistake then and like even more of one now. The Chiefs' demands for Johnson are unlikely to be met, but if he was dealt K.C. would likely roll with a combo backfield of Kolby Smith and Jamaal Charles. The NFL trade deadline is on Tuesday. Oct. 12 - 1:17 pm et

:no:

:no:
i think it is the 14th. but 1:17est :rant:

:ninja:
i think it is the 14th. but 1:17est :confused:
:goodposting: NFL is weird. Let's have the trade deadline at 1:17 and start the Superbowl a 6:19.

LJ isn't going anywhere. There's no fit for him out there.

:ninja:
:goodposting: NFL is weird. Let's have the trade deadline at 1:17 and start the Superbowl a 6:19.

Bengals

Send him somewhere, please! (I'm an LJ owner.)How about Philadelphia, if Westbrook is out for a while? How about Denver? The Jets? Baltimore, with McGahee out. Colts now that Addai is down. Steelers if FWP is out for a protracted period of time. I'd say Cincy, but I'm not sure that would be much better than KC. Or the Patriots, since Maroney can't seem to stay healthy. There's gotta be a place where his production would improve.

:confused:
I think the 1:17est refers to the timestamp today that PFT uploaded the snippet.

I hope they are both traded to a team where a owner puts his money into winning a waste of talent (KC is a weak market for any sport we know that).

I think the 1:17est refers to the timestamp today that PFT uploaded the snippet.
Yup. The NFL trade deadline is on Tuesday................Oct. 12 - 1:17 pm et is when the article was posted.

I don't think he would take that pay cut. He wasn't payed until he became 30, Randy Moss already landed the big bucks before tacking that cut to attempt a shot at a ring. LJ just recently got that contract and I'm pretty sure he's going to want to play that out regardless of his team. He's not young and has plenty of miles on him.

Denver O would be unstopababable

qimqam said:
Finless said:
fsufan said:
Finless said:
thehornet said:

Denver can start a cheerleader at RB and have him/her be effective. they don't invest that kind of money in the RB position.

qimqam said:
Finless said:
fsufan said:
Finless said:
thehornet said:

While Denver loves RB's...
They wouldn't take the cap hit
It wouldn't happen due to a being a division foe
Denver's O is not their problem...it's their D.

Abstract said:
hellz_fireflies said:
I hope they are both traded to a team where a owner puts his money into winning a waste of talent (KC is a weak market for any sport we know that).
Please explain how KC is a "weak market" and Arrowhead has sold out every game since 1989.
Selling tickets to see the Chiefs is not the money market pal! Takes a lot more then that. Hope your not into the stock market!

qimqam said:
Finless said:
fsufan said:
Finless said:
thehornet said:

4 - Denver is bound to catch wind about this Ryan Torain guy.

Riffraff said:
fsufan said:
Finless said:
thehornet said:

:goodposting:
That's what it looks like to me. There is a period after "Tuesday" ending the sentence. "Oct. 12 - 1:17 pm et" would be the time stamp.

Mikey16x said:
I don't think he would take that pay cut. He wasn't payed until he became 30, Randy Moss already landed the big bucks before tacking that cut to attempt a shot at a ring. LJ just recently got that contract and I'm pretty sure he's going to want to play that out regardless of his team. He's not young and has plenty of miles on him.
:thumbup: LJ is not 30... he turns 29 in November

Uber said:
Nobody would pick LJ up with that contract.
contract details:

8/21/2007: Signed a six-year, $45.05 million contract. The deal included a $12.5 million signing bonus and contains $19 million in total guarantees. The first three years' base salaries are guaranteed. 2008: $2.5 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus + $62,500 per-game roster bonuses), 2009: $4.55 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus + $62,500 per-game roster bonuses), 2010: $5 million (+ $1 million roster bonus due 3/1 + $100,000 workout bonus + $62,500 per-game roster bonuses), 2011: $5.3 million (+ $1 million roster bonus due 3/1 + $100,000 workout bonus + $62,500 per-game roster bonuses), 2012: $5.9 million (+ $1 million roster bonus due 3/1 + $100,000 workout bonus + $62,500 per-game roster bonuses), 2013: Free Agent. Cap charges: $6.156 million (2008), $8.206 million (2009), $9.183 million (2010), $9.483 million (2011), $10.083 million (2012).

So the team that trades for him has less than 6.5 million in total guarantees to pay? And no guarantees after 2010? Not such a bad contract IMO.

4.7 in 2009

6.3 in 2010

Nothing guaranteed after that. Not so bad for an excellent RB IMO.

Abstract said:
hellz_fireflies said:
Please explain how KC is a "weak market" and Arrowhead has sold out every game since 1989.
Selling tickets to see the Chiefs is not the money market pal! Takes a lot more then that. Hope your not into the stock market!
Haha...that's what I thought. Your answer was weak.

Mikey16x said:
:confused: LJ is not 30... he turns 29 in November
Really?? geez.. I'm usually good with that kind of stuff. Thanks for the correction. :popcorn:

qimqam said:
Finless said:
fsufan said:
Finless said:
thehornet said:

;)
:suds: NFL is weird. Let's have the trade deadline at 1:17 and start the Superbowl a 6:19.

4 - Denver is bound to catch wind about this Ryan Torain guy.
:lmao:

hellz_fireflies said:
Yea, because no professional team in KC has ever had ANY success.......Ignorant......Try the Royals record from 1975-1994Try the Chiefs from 1990-1999I will even add this one....Try Kansas Jayhawks basketball 1900-presentGet some facts before you come blowing hot air.

Uber said:
Nobody would pick LJ up with that contract.
contract details:

8/21/2007: Signed a six-year, $45.05 million contract. The deal included a $12.5 million signing bonus and contains $19 million in total guarantees. The first three years' base salaries are guaranteed. 2008: $2.5 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus + $62,500 per-game roster bonuses), 2009: $4.55 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus + $62,500 per-game roster bonuses), 2010: $5 million (+ $1 million roster bonus due 3/1 + $100,000 workout bonus + $62,500 per-game roster bonuses), 2011: $5.3 million (+ $1 million roster bonus due 3/1 + $100,000 workout bonus + $62,500 per-game roster bonuses), 2012: $5.9 million (+ $1 million roster bonus due 3/1 + $100,000 workout bonus + $62,500 per-game roster bonuses), 2013: Free Agent. Cap charges: $6.156 million (2008), $8.206 million (2009), $9.183 million (2010), $9.483 million (2011), $10.083 million (2012).

So the team that trades for him has less than 6.5 million in total guarantees to pay? And no guarantees after 2010? Not such a bad contract IMO.

4.7 in 2009

6.3 in 2010

Nothing guaranteed after that. Not so bad for an excellent RB IMO.
My mistake on this as well. Only the 2009 base (4.55) is guaranteed. I know these kind of trades generally don't happen, but the Chiefs have got to know they aren't going anywhere this year or next. After that LJ will be 31. If they could get a 2nd or 3rd for him they'd have to consider it right?

Teams that could be interested...

Steelers. Parker injured and needs help.

Bears. Forte seems to do well receiving but his 3.6 ypc is ugly. Plus can he handle a full season?

Colts Addai hurt again? Hasn't made it a full season either.

Jets. Thomas Jones had a good week but 3.8 ypc.

New England. RBBC somewhat successful, but Maroney a huge disappointment.

The financial commitment required for LJ is really very minimal by todays NFL salary cap dollars. About 1.5 million for the rest of this year, and 4.5 guaranteed with an overall hit of 4.7 next year. He'll be 30 then, and without any guaranteed dollars. Very reasonable for a back with LJ's kind of talent.

As far as the Chiefs cap is concerned, the rest of that SB would accelerate and count immediately against their cap. They would have no concerns about staying above the floor.

None of those teams listed would trade for LJ. Definitely not the Steelers, Colts, Jets. NE maybe. They've taken "attitude" guys before and resurrected them.

addai injury is nt serious so count them out .

But Bengals - Jets - Broncos - Lions - Ravens - Seahawks - Maybe the Packers all those teams could use a rb.

But supposively the Raiders are looking to trade Michael Bush , i would take a look at Bush before LJ.

Cheaper , younger and probably more production for a longer period.

None of those teams listed would trade for LJ. Definitely not the Steelers, Colts, Jets. NE maybe. They've taken "attitude" guys before and resurrected them.
what does attitude guys mean? LJ is a good teammate. He complained one time because he wanted one good contract in his carrer.

hellz_fireflies said:
Love to see Gonzo to NYG..woohoo what a team that will be..and LJ to NE Pats :rolleyes: ..their RB's Oline and defense and QB situation all stink!
Fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could certainly see a trade happening in the offseason, when teams can better evaluate their needs a bit more versus the salary cap, but probably not in the middle of the season.

All that said, if LJ does somehow get moved, what are the thoughts of his successor in terms of Charles and/or Smith?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Chiefs already got rid of Allen, but the problem with moving LJ & Gonzo is that Bowe remains on the team....so they'll still have one good player left. Better trade Bowe, too. That way the rebuilding process can officially start from scratch.

The Chiefs already got rid of Allen, but the problem with moving LJ & Gonzo is that Bowe remains on the team....so they'll still have one good player left. Better trade Bowe, too. That way the rebuilding process can officially start from scratch.
The idea is to keep the younger, talented players while trading the older players that may have a market.That means keep Bowe. He will be seasoned just enough to help groom and assist a talented young QB whom the Chiefs will draft next year.

what does attitude guys mean? LJ is a good teammate. He complained one time because he wanted one good contract in his carrer.
surly, not a locker room guy, not a team leader. Read it again yesterday but not sure where.

surly, not a locker room guy, not a team leader. Read it again yesterday but not sure where.
I also remember several stories over the years when he was backing up Holmes, and then after he took the reins, that he was never really well-liked.Granted, things may have changed over the last several years and I'm far from a homer, but I never got the sense that he was a good teammate.

Steelers (despite the perception of the Rooneys being cheap) are right up against the cap. No way LJ is coming to Pittsburgh.

I'd love to see him come to Philly to provide a better power runing game. Westy would still be golden split-out and moving EVERYWHERE in the formation.

Can't see it happening though. While his pay is commensurate with his talent (thanks for the info Woodrow!), the relatively small upgrade he'd give the Birds wouldn't justify the $$$....and the Birds are more $$$ concious then any other team in the league. Not cheap really, just unwilling to EVER over-pay.

QUEZILLA said:
Just thinking out loud:SaintsTexansBucsSeem like places he could do well.
None of the teams you listed really need a RB.
Really? Who are the long-term RBs for each of those teams? Deuce? Pierre? Under-sized Slaton? Warrick Dunn? Earnest Graham?
Depends on your definition of "long term." LJ probably won't be much of a long term answer seeing as he is 30, and has quite a bit of mileage on him. I think all three of those teams are getting enough production right now from the guys they have. I doubt they would make a big move like that. Maybe Houston if they want to reduce the role of Slanton.

I'd love to see him come to Philly to provide a better power runing game. Westy would still be golden split-out and moving EVERYWHERE in the formation. Can't see it happening though. While his pay is commensurate with his talent (thanks for the info Woodrow!), the relatively small upgrade he'd give the Birds wouldn't justify the $$$....and the Birds are more $$$ concious then any other team in the league. Not cheap really, just unwilling to EVER over-pay.
They overpaid for Kearse.

QUEZILLA said:
Just thinking out loud:

Saints

Texans

Bucs

Seem like places he could do well.
None of the teams you listed really need a RB.
Really? Who are the long-term RBs for each of those teams? Deuce? Pierre? Under-sized Slaton? Warrick Dunn? Earnest Graham?
Depends on your definition of "long term." LJ probably won't be much of a long term answer seeing as he is 30, and has quite a bit of mileage on him. I think all three of those teams are getting enough production right now from the guys they have. I doubt they would make a big move like that. Maybe Houston if they want to reduce the role of Slanton.
He's 28 not 30

Users who are viewing this thread