What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chili and Cinnamon Roll? Midwest Thing? (1 Viewer)

I've lived in the Midwest my entire life. I like hot dish and stuff cooked with condensed soup as much as anybody. I've never seen this particular combination and I feel slightly ashamed that this is happening in our country.
Yeah, I'd crush some tater tot hot dish cooked by a lady who volunteers in a church basement.

But never heard of this nor would consider Midwest chili any good.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
Not a big fan of mixing sweet and spicy. Would rather have the chili first and then the cinnamon roll.
I like sweet and I really like spicy food. But, agree the two don't go well together. That's why I don't appreciate Mexican candy where the two are mixed.

I am from Wyoming and do not remember that combination of food being served.

From the article:
Across the Heartland, most notably Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Iowa, and Colorado

I've lived in the Midwest my entire life. I like hot dish and stuff cooked with condensed soup as much as anybody. I've never seen this particular combination and I feel slightly ashamed that this is happening in our country.

Thanks. Can you elaborate on "hot dish"?

Thanks. Can you elaborate on "hot dish"?
It's what Midwesterners -- especially people from Minnesota and the Dakotas -- call casseroles. Regional dialect.

I love regional food.

Read this today chili and cinnamon roll. https://www.eater.com/23439374/cinnamon-rolls-chili-heartland-midwest-school-lunch

Legit?
I've never heard of this before and I've lived in Cleveland, Cincinnati and now Indianapolis over a span of 54 years. I call BS.

yeah, it's not much of a thing in Ohio - but read the article - it's talking about other states.

I started years ago because I like spicy and sweet together and had some Pillsbury cinnamon rolls ...I thought I had invented something.

I hadn't.

Every year we have a chili cookoff in our office (Madison WI) and we didn't involve cinnamon rolls until we hired a woman from Iowa. She was stunned that noone in our office did that. Another guy chimed in and said he thought if was weird too that we didn't have cinnamon rolls. He's from SW Wisconsin so that makes sense. The rest of our employees, from all over WI, 2 from IL and 1 from MN never heard of it. Not sure about the KS/NE crowd. BTW it's pretty damn tasty.

I grew up in the mountains of Colorado and this was very much a thing. For us it was Friday lunch at school about every other week. It was pretty much everyone's favorite thing to come from the cafeteria.

I don't think I have had a cinnamon roll with chili since middle school...

Cinnamon rolls - delicious, love 'em but don't eat them very often
Chili - delicious, love it - the real stuff, not that abomination they call chili from Cincinnati
Chili + Cinnamon rolls - born and raised in the Cleveland, OH area...never heard of it until I saw this post, have no real desire to try it. However, conceptually, I get the idea of sweet and spicy so it doesn't seem too far fetched of an idea. In fact, I was just munching on a few of these.

I've made my own Cincinnati Chili, with some minor tweaks but always did include cinnamon. I like it. Never would consider eating with a cinnamon roll.

edit: not a Midwesterner.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. I am in Iowa and had never heard of it either until I met my wife. She insisted on making cinnamon rolls when I made chili. It has become a staple of our winter menu. Now if we could just agree on the thickness of the chili. (I like mine very thick, she likes it more like a soup because she loads it up with crackers and cheese). We are both from Iowa and it was duck, duck, grey duck for me and duck, duck, goose for her so :shrug:

The Tiktok cinnamon roll hack is legit if you have extra cream you need to use over the holidays.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. I am in Iowa and had never heard of it either until I met my wife. She insisted on making cinnamon rolls when I made chili. It has become a staple of our winter menu. Now if we could just agree on the thickness of the chili. (I like mine very thick, she likes it more like a soup because she loads it up with crackers and cheese). We are both from Iowa and it was duck, duck, grey duck for me and duck, duck, goose for her so :shrug:
Do you dip the cinnamon rolls in the chili?

Yes, chili and cinnamon rolls were part of the same school lunch growing up (rural SW Wisconsin). I haven't thought about that combination since then. Our school lunches were mostly pretty good.

I've lived in Nebraska most of my life and never really knew this was a thing. We had chili with cornbread in school. Have Iowa friends that are all about the chili and cinnamon rolls.

Runza is a mostly Nebraska fast food chain. During the colder months they have chili and cinnamon rolls. I like their chili, but pass on the cinnamon roll.

Never heard of this, pretty sure it's made up.

I make sweet corn bread when we do chili.

Definitely doesn't seem to be made up. Lots of people confirming they know of it.

Do you have a recipe you like for "sweet cornbread"? Is it just regular cornbread with sugar? Or something different?

Yes, chili and cinnamon rolls were part of the same school lunch growing up (rural SW Wisconsin). I haven't thought about that combination since then. Our school lunches were mostly pretty good.

Thanks. A lot of the replies I'm getting on it are related to school lunches and church event stuff. Seems to be a nostalgia thing for lots of people.

I was just interested as I'd never heard of it.

Do you have a recipe you like for "sweet cornbread"? Is it just regular cornbread with sugar? Or something different?
You didn't ask me, but I use this one. I cut back a bit on the sugar, though. It's pretty basic, but I need "basic" since I'm not good at improvising in the kitchen.

I have heard of this but never eaten it. (I live in Central Oklahoma.)

I believe it's more popular in rural (farming) areas of Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Iowa, etc. I've travelled all over these states for work and will see this on winter menus in diners in small rural areas. I know I've seen it in Nebraska, the plains of Wyoming, and not far off I-70 in Kansas. I've never seen it in more metropolitan areas, but my view may also be biased as I don't often eat at diners in metro areas. In rural areas there is no other choice, and they can be quite tasty (or not).

Related to the school lunch thing, my school always served cornbread on taco days, and I love the combo. I posted about it in here once and @mr. furley acted like I was insane.

Thank god I clicked on the link and saw the picture. I thought it was a Cinnamon Roll with Chili poured over the top.

I'm from California, not a thing here.

I love regional food.

Read this today chili and cinnamon roll. https://www.eater.com/23439374/cinnamon-rolls-chili-heartland-midwest-school-lunch

Legit?
Growing up in Nebraska, school lunch chili was always served with a cinnamon roll. I've eaten Chili with them my entire life. It is definitely a thing and it's glorious. You can find that combo on menus in Nebraska restaurants, including the aforementioned fast food chain Runza.
Yes, the cinnamon roll is commonly dipped in the chili. I like the flavors together enough that I actually include a pinch of cinnamon when making chili (along with the obvious dark chocolate).

I now live in MN and it is not a thing here in Southern Canada.

I'm still seeking clarification on this. Does one dip the cinnamon roll in the chili ala saltine crackers in soup? Or is it just kind of like a pairing thing such as friend chicken and waffles where they came together but you don't mix them in a single bite (at least that's how I do my chicken and waffles)?

Users who are viewing this thread