What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chip Kelly's new Eagles offense to be held up by refs? (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Chip Kelly's new Eagles offense to be held up by refs?

By Kevin Patra NFL.com

Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly's up-tempo offense might have a deterrent.

Not players unable to run it. Not opponents able to stop it. But referees slowing it down.

"We have to make sure teams understand that they don't control the tempo; our officials do," NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino told The Wall Street Journal on Monday. "We're going through our normal ball mechanics. We aren't going to rush [unless] it's in the two-minute drill."

Those normal game-slowing mechanics include: changing balls when a play goes out of bounds or on an incomplete pass; the referee who spots the ball positioning himself behind the deepest offensive back before the snap; and allowing the defense to substitute after an offensive substitution.

Neither Kelly nor the Eagles commented on the story, but Blandino told the newspaper that Kelly didn't show any "overconcern" about these changes when the two met in Philadelphia.

The pace question isn't a new concern for teams. In 2010, the Peyton Manning-led Indianapolis Colts took issue with the time it took for the referee to get to his new-at-the-time spot behind the running back. Even last season, teams took issue with how fast the New England Patriots and Tom Brady ran their no-huddle offense. New York Jets linebacker Calvin Pace even defined it as "borderline illegal."

It might be an issue in the preseason or in the first week of the regular season, but players, coaches and teams always adjust. At least one former ref believes Kelly will have to adjust his style.

"In the NFL, I don't see him having the juice to persuade crews to work faster," said Mike Pereira, former NFL vice president of officiating and current TV analyst. "In fact, I know he doesn't."

The Around The League Podcast is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

By Kevin Patra NFL.com

Not players unable to run it. Not opponents able to stop it. But referees slowing it down.

"We have to make sure teams understand that they don't control the tempo; our officials do," NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino told The Wall Street Journal on Monday. "We're going through our normal ball mechanics. We aren't going to rush [unless] it's in the two-minute drill."

Those normal game-slowing mechanics include: changing balls when a play goes out of bounds or on an incomplete pass; the referee who spots the ball positioning himself behind the deepest offensive back before the snap; and allowing the defense to substitute after an offensive substitution.

Neither Kelly nor the Eagles commented on the story, but Blandino told the newspaper that Kelly didn't show any "overconcern" about these changes when the two met in Philadelphia.

The pace question isn't a new concern for teams. In 2010, the Peyton Manning-led Indianapolis Colts took issue with the time it took for the referee to get to his new-at-the-time spot behind the running back. Even last season, teams took issue with how fast the New England Patriots and Tom Brady ran their no-huddle offense. New York Jets linebacker Calvin Pace even defined it as "borderline illegal."

It might be an issue in the preseason or in the first week of the regular season, but players, coaches and teams always adjust. At least one former ref believes Kelly will have to adjust his style.

"In the NFL, I don't see him having the juice to persuade crews to work faster," said Mike Pereira, former NFL vice president of officiating and current TV analyst. "In fact, I know he doesn't."

The Around The League Podcast is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.
Something about the bolded seems....wrong. Like he's acknowledging the refs give preferential treatment to certain coaches. I would hope the refs work the games the same for all teams and coaches.

I saw this... smh... I thought the NFL actually wanted to promote offense and scoring?.. this is just that "we've been here for a while so youre just not gonna come in here and think youll go crazy with your little college offense...". This is just pure hate hahaha ....meanwhile teams like the Patriots have no problem going no huddle? An officials job is to officiate and make judgement calls as quick and accurate as possible and not be a deterrance to the flow of the game. If a team is lining up ready to snap and everyones waiting on the ref, its gonna look dumb on his part. And whats this ..."we're going to allow the defense to substitute" bs? smh

By Kevin Patra NFL.com

Something about the bolded seems....wrong. Like he's acknowledging the refs give preferential treatment to certain coaches. I would hope the refs work the games the same for all teams and coaches.
Mike Pereira is a former ref so hes just blabbin his mouth.

I saw this... smh... I thought the NFL actually wanted to promote offense and scoring?.. this is just that "we've been here for a while so youre just not gonna come in here and think youll go crazy with your little college offense...". This is just pure hate hahaha ....meanwhile teams like the Patriots have no problem going no huddle? An officials job is to officiate and make judgement calls as quick and accurate as possible and not be a deterrance to the flow of the game. If a team is lining up ready to snap and everyones waiting on the ref, its gonna look dumb on his part. And whats this ..."we're going to allow the defense to substitute" bs? smh
That's a rule, but only if the offense subs players. If the offense is lined up ready to go with no substitutions, the refs can't hold up the game to wait for a defensive substitution unless there's an injury. Which brings up another point - will we see an increase in defensive "injuries" just to slow the game? Hopefully "diving" gets flagged.

Honestly I don't see much here. Teams do manage to run hurry-up under the rules described and the Eagles will be able to as well.

"We're going through our normal ball mechanics. We aren't going to rush [unless] it's in the two-minute drill."

I've seen them rush for Brady & Co. and it was not during a 2-min drill so that's an interesting statement.

the problem is that most of the refs are late 50's+ and outside of a few aren't exactly in shape. It's a joke that they have guys my fathers age playing ref in a multi billion dollar business. Some of these guys get hurt each year because they are too slow to react. Football is a young man's game and the refs need to get younger too especially if teams are going to want to play these offenses....they refs should not be able to slow the game unless there's a legitimate reason.

one thing that would be awesome is if he makes a ref mad by telling him to hurry it up to many times and then the ref every time that he gets the ball and has to put it back down does summersalts all the way back to the line of scrimmage it would just be pretty fun to see and to see if the ref could keep going or would get to dizzy and throw up i know it will not happen but sometimes i just like to tell a funny story like that to make some of you laugh and keep it light in here instead of having an argument where everyone lays out a bunch of numbered points and uses fancy pants bold take that to the bnank brohans

the "unless it's a two minute drill" seems a little hypocritical to me....officials shouldn't control tempo, they should adjust to the tempo....up to the point of it affecting implementation of the game (chains being set, etc)....the thing that should take the most time is resetting the chains......

the "unless it's a two minute drill" seems a little hypocritical to me....officials shouldn't control tempo, they should adjust to the tempo....up to the point of it affecting implementation of the game (chains being set, etc)....the thing that should take the most time is resetting the chains......
Well said.

the problem is that most of the refs are late 50's+ and outside of a few aren't exactly in shape. It's a joke that they have guys my fathers age playing ref in a multi billion dollar business. Some of these guys get hurt each year because they are too slow to react. Football is a young man's game and the refs need to get younger too especially if teams are going to want to play these offenses....they refs should not be able to slow the game unless there's a legitimate reason.
The refs are in good shape. They actually have standards of fitness they must meet. Are they world class athletes? No. But you have to be reasonable here. There is a lot going on, on a football field. They need refs with Experience, not a bunch of young guys that can simply run. The NFL is a heady business. They probably put more analysis and study into the officiating aspect of the game than most companies do into their financial statements. This is a seriously scrutinized aspect of the game and they do tons to make sure they have enough guys in the right areas that are reasonably able to do their job.

I think you short change the refs big time if you basically want to replace them with younger people.

With all that being said, I agree that the limitations of refs should not limit where the game can go so if the speed of the game and new concepts puts undo stress on the refs, maybe they need to look at the give and take of adding additional officials or relying more on replay, or only substituting balls at specific junctures, etc. Maybe a wet ball just has to stay wet.

I have my questions if this Chip Kelly offense will work in the NFL. Sure it's easy to run a hurry up at Oregon when you are ripping off 6 to 15 yards per play, but in the NFL with an at best average offense he may just be hurrying his defense back on the field.

This will be one team I want to watch in the preseason closely.

Amused to Death said:
Faust said:

By Kevin Patra NFL.com

:goodposting:

It's flawed for sure, but Oregon had to deal with slow ref's and fake defensive injuries. This is nothing new.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
Amused to Death said:
Which brings up another point - will we see an increase in defensive "injuries" just to slow the game? Hopefully "diving" gets flagged.
Almost impossible to prove.
Agree, except when its obvious.
Flopping is pretty impossible to prove in the NBA, but they've taken steps to deter it. 15 yds and an automatic first should prevent teams from encouraging their guys to fake injuries.

Chip Kelly has 'no issue' playing at the pace of officialsBy Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

Chip Kelly isn't worried about the NFL slowing down his famously high-octane offense.

On Tuesday, NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino that "we have to make sure teams understand that they don't control the tempo; our officials do."

The Philadelphia Eagles coach said Wednesday that he has "no issue" with how the officials run the game.

"If the speed limit is 65, even though I want to go 85, if there's a cop out there, you're not going 85," Kelly said, via Philly.com. "It's a real simple concept."

Kelly previously met with Blandino in March. Officials were at Eagles minicamp in June and will return on Thursday. Kelly said the NFL's rules aren't very different than the rules he played under while his Oregon teams were running up and down the field.

"We understand the rules of engagement," Kelly said. "I have absolutely no issue with them. We embrace the way they're doing it."

We'll see if Kelly still feels that way once the games actually begin.

Users who are viewing this thread