What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chris Herndon TE Jets (2 Viewers)

So, do we like this Herndon guy over the Fells, Jonnu, or even Delanie? Then there is good ole OJ Howard. Perhaps a trade to the NE Patriots and he becomes the #1 waiver wire pick up?

Chris Herndon (hamstring) was limited in Wednesday's practice.

Herndon got in a round of limited practices last week ahead of a missed game against the Jaguars, but he should be knocking down the door to make his season debut. We'd be surprised if it didn't happen this Sunday in Miami where Herndon would be a top-12 TE1 play.

SOURCE: Ethan Greenberg on Twitter

Oct 30, 2019, 11:33 AM ET

Picked him up with a minimal of FAAB last night.  His next 6 games are:

Mia

NYG

Was

Oak

Cinci

Mia

Whenever he plays his first game this year he could come out of the gates red hot.  Would rather him tie up a bench spot early than get into a bidding war for him after he plays.   I have Kelce, so if he performs well I'll either play him during Kelce's week 12 bye (Oak) or trade him for something of value before then to a TE-needy team that wasn't paying attention.

Jets TE Chris Herndon (hamstring) is questionable for Sunday's matchup against the Dolphins.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News said Jets coach Adam Gase did not sound "optimistic" about Herndon's chances of playing Sunday. Ryan Griffin has posted 3-10-0, 3-28-1, 1-1-0 and 4-66-2 lines in four games with Darnold this season, demonstrating the boom-or-bust nature as a full-time TE in this offense. Griffin's success could perhaps lead to a committee of sorts between him and Herndon while the Jets' talented second-year TE gets back in game shape, which would render each as non-viable fantasy options.

SOURCE: Jets on Twitter.

Nov 1, 2019, 4:18 PM ET

I've picked up and dropped Herndon 4 times this season.
 If you want to read something truly epic, scroll up and read my TE production in one specific league this year. Its 10-12 posts up.

I've added and dropped Herndon multiple times this year, and my truly abysmal TE production in 2 leagues has me thinking I will get him again, next week.

Fortunately I found Johnnu Smith on the 2 leagues wires in question, so I have a one week patch considering Delanie Walker is out this week.  So run and fetch him now if you are desperate.  Smith was only owned in 35% of Yahoo leagues  a bit ago.

The "news" is that Walker may be a week or two away from returning, so we may have one more week or two of some production to get Herndon back.

Point is, it doesn't sound like Herndon is ready quite yet, and my TE numbers are so bad, I say give him an extra week to get ready. I need something, anything breathing at TE to give me a pulse for a late season push.

I want to be all over this situation and talent, but if the guy can't get on the field, then what good does he do us...?

TZM

I've picked up and dropped Herndon 4 times this season.
Me too! Got him back in two leagues...again and the other league the dude is just like me, he scooped him when I had to let him go. Now he's asking for my Samuels for him. Earlier in the week I might have done the deal. Now, not so sure.

The New York Post reports TE Chris Herndon (questionable, hamstring) is "unlikely" to play in Week 9 against Miami.

This falls in line with coach Adam Gase's comments. Herndon has been practicing on a limited basis for weeks but still isn't ready to play. With Herndon set to miss another game, Ryan Griffin is on the streaming radar.

SOURCE: New York Post

Nov 2, 2019, 9:13 AM ET

Apparently the 7 other inactives are more hurt than he is, and this may not be an indicator that he will play 😕

Beat reporter Brian Costello of the New York Post isn't sure Chris Herndon (hamstring) will actually play Week 9 against the Dolphins.

Herndon was made active, a surprise given that coach Adam Gase had essentially ruled him out Friday. Per Costello, the Jets have so many injuries they don't have enough healthy bodies to fill a 46-man roster, which could explain why Herndon is dressing for Sunday's game in Miami. It looks like Herndon will only be available in case of an emergency. Ryan Griffin will be in line for another start at tight end.

RELATED: 

Ryan Griffin

SOURCE: Brian Costello on Twitter

Nov 3, 2019, 12:26 PM ET

In one league I am "reverse streaming" (tm) at TE. To those that don't know, thats essentially going to the wire every week, racking your brains and looking desperately for some type of bare bones production at TE.   THE DIFFERENCE IS - you are reverse streaming. So basically anyone you pick gets 3 points or less.    :wall:

In said league, I have streamed these luminaries, and somehow managed to find essentially their worst weeks and trotted them out.  Thus far, I have streamed these players.............  TYLER EIFERT  2.70 , TJ HOCKENSON  .70 , TJ HOCKENSON again  .10 , GREG OLSEN .50 , GREG OLSEN 0.00 , GREG OLSEN 5.20 , TJ HOCKENSON 3.20 , GERALD EVERETT 1.5

Grand total of 13.90 points at the TE position for the year, and 1.73 average points per week.  (yeah I know PTTS)  :ptts: Just thought this was humorous.

TZM

Quick bump to this thread, hoping for any news on Herndon.

Also to add to my grand total of 13.90 points at the TE  position for the year (in said league)  I can add in JOHNNU SMITH to my brutal string of streaming production. I picked him up since Delanie Walker is out, hoping for 5-7 points. Smith kicked in 1.8 points , on  3 receptions for 18 yards.  Brings my total to 15.70 total points for the year at TE in that league. Unreal.     :wall:

Does anyone have an address where I can send Chris Herndon a get-well card?   :wub:

Picked him up in my 2 desperate leagues. The schedule looks good, and short dumpoffs from Darnold seems to be the flavor of the season now. Bell possibly having knee issues should help Herndon a touch more if he can actually get on the field.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked him up last week hoping to play him this week (Ertz on bye) but now I'm not so sure - did he even play one snap last week?

Hopefully @TZMarkie will post who he DOES play so we all can cross him off our lists for this week :lol:

I picked him up last week hoping to play him this week (Ertz on bye) but now I'm not so sure - did he even play one snap last week?

Hopefully @TZMarkie will post who he DOES play so we all can cross him off our lists for this week :lol:
-PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT- 

I already have Herndon slotted in.  If for some reason he doesn't play and I can get my hands on Gerald Everett , I will probably trot him out there.

This way you desperate TE streamers know who to avoid. 

TZM

Chris Herndon (hamstring) remained limited for Wednesday's practice.

Herndon was only 'active' against the Dolphins because the Jets had 26 (!) players listed on their injury report. With another week of practice and recovery under his belt, Herndon should finally be cleared to return in a prime spot against the Giants' secondary, which just allowed 37-year-old Jason Witten to roam free for season-highs in targets (9), catches (8) and receiving yards (58) Monday night. Herndon projects to play every snap if truly active for the first time all year.

SOURCE: Manish Mehta on Twitter

Nov 6, 2019, 4:17 PM ET

Well, whatever that really means? There seems to be a big discrepancy from this questionable (hamstring status) and playing every snap here, Mr. Obvious. In other keep the info coming in. Is this guy a buy low play right now, a serviceable TE, or a fade into oblivion.

I had an owner offer Herndon for my J Samuels last week. I'm glad I held because Samuels numbers insured a win. Wondering about revisiting this again? Connors who knows? Samuels a decent Flex or bye week player regardless? Herndon potential? My team is hurting at TE. J Cook, NO is back in play as of today.

I have owned Herndon in all 3 leagues. I dropped him in two, he's still available in one, and I own him still in another.

My take is Herndon could be a TE league come from behind winner for the second half!

Well, whatever that really means? There seems to be a big discrepancy from this questionable (hamstring status) and playing every snap here, Mr. Obvious. In other keep the info coming in. Is this guy a buy low play right now, a serviceable TE, or a fade into oblivion.

I had an owner offer Herndon for my J Samuels last week. I'm glad I held because Samuels numbers insured a win. Wondering about revisiting this again? Connors who knows? Samuels a decent Flex or bye week player regardless? Herndon potential? My team is hurting at TE. J Cook, NO is back in play as of today.

I have owned Herndon in all 3 leagues. I dropped him in two, he's still available in one, and I own him still in another.

My take is Herndon could be a TE league come from behind winner for the second half!
Source: NewYorkJets.com

New York Jets TE Chris Herndon (hamstring) was limited during practice Wednesday, Nov. 6.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Herndon will at best split with Ryan Griffin in his return, if his return is this week. The matchup is excellent against the Giants, but he is a risky play.

Herndon has the full spectrum from risky play to potential TE breakout star. I wonder who nails whatever this means?

Chris Herndon (hamstring) remained limited at Thursday's practice.

Herndon is trending toward making his season debut Sunday against the Giants after missing the past several weeks with a hamstring injury he incurred during his four-game suspension. Second among rookie tight ends in receiving yards a year ago, Herndon could conceivably work his way into the TE1 mix, though it may take a game or two for him to get his rhythm back. UConn alum Ryan Griffin has spelled him at tight end the past two months.

SOURCE: New York Jets PR on Twitter

Nov 7, 2019, 4:39 PM ET

TZMarkie said:
Quick bump to this thread, hoping for any news on Herndon.

Also to add to my grand total of 13.90 points at the TE  position for the year (in said league)  I can add in JOHNNU SMITH to my brutal string of streaming production. I picked him up since Delanie Walker is out, hoping for 5-7 points. Smith kicked in 1.8 points , on  3 receptions for 18 yards.  Brings my total to 15.70 total points for the year at TE in that league. Unreal.     :wall:

Does anyone have an address where I can send Chris Herndon a get-well card?   :wub:

Picked him up in my 2 desperate leagues. The schedule looks good, and short dumpoffs from Darnold seems to be the flavor of the season now. Bell possibly having knee issues should help Herndon a touch more if he can actually get on the field.

TZM
Wow this is unreal lol 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow this is unreal lol 
Absolute truth brother.

In said league, I am trading for Hunter Henry after tonight's game....... IF HE DOESN'T GET INJURED.    I usually trade for players early week, (Like Sunday night or early Monday) not late like this, in the event of injury.

This unreal low - garbage numbers at TE have contributed to me for being tied for 8th, in a 10 teamer.   In that league, I have 2 top 10 WRs, and 3 top 10 RBs, and several things have just went south.  Must win territory for me this week, so I need any type of production I can get at TE.

On CHRIS HERNDON - Its smelling more and more as time goes on that he might not be "trust able" in his first week back.  But as bad as the TE position has been for some of owners, we may have to gamble on this guy in his first week back.  Kinda sucks tbh.

TZM

Chris Herndon (hamstring) is questionable for the Jets' Week 10 matchup against the Giants.

Herndon dressed in Week 9, but was available for emergency purposes only. Ryan Griffin continued to play well with a near every-down role. Overall, Griffin has posted 1-1-0, 4-66-2 and 6-50-0 lines in three games since Herndon's suspension ended. The likelihood that Herndon will be operating at less than 100% if active, combined with Griffin's stellar play, could lead to a committee of sorts once the Jets' talented second-year TE gets back on the field. This would render both Herndon and Griffin as low-end TE2s with part-time roles in the league's 31st-ranked scoring offense.

SOURCE: Jets on Twitter.

Nov 8, 2019, 3:55 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter confirms Chris Herndon (questionable, hamstring) is expected to play Week 10 against the Giants.

Herndon will at long last make his 2019 debut in Week 10. It's been a long time coming for Herndon, who served a four-game suspension to begin the year then couldn't get on the field while battling a prolonged hamstring injury. The second-year tight end was technically active for last week's game against the Dolphins but that was only because the Jets didn't have enough healthy bodies (he never left the bench). While Herndon probably won't see a full allotment of snaps in his first game back, he's still streamer-worthy at a dire fantasy position. Texans castoff Ryan Griffin had been starting in his place.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Nov 10, 2019, 8:13 AM ET

Chris Herndon (hamstring) is active for Week 10 against the Giants.

Herndon will make his debut after missing the first four weeks to a suspension and the last five to a hamstring injury. His snaps figure to be limited in a committee with Ryan Griffin. Herndon has the talent to pull away from Griffin but is a thin play this week.

Nov 10, 2019, 11:44 AM ET

STARTING HIM WITH zero CONFIDENCE!

I'm kind of in the same boat.

Terrible options on the wire, or ones I have rolled out and gotten truly bad numbers with thus far. (scroll up and check out some of my TE streaming handiwork)

The other choices I have in one spot are JIMMY GRAHAM, JACOB HOLLISTER, and even worse.

I feel like the floor is about the same for all these, but Darnold/Herndon did have a bit of a connection, so I'm pinching my nose, rolling him out and hoping for a dump off 5 yard TD pass near the stripe.

Not expecting but a few targets, and it should only get better after today. And trust me, I'm in a must win in this league too. Good luck to us LB Larry.

TZM

Just checking in to see if you started J. Smith this week at the last minute :lol:    I was forced to start him and he's basically done nothing so far.
No, in my one "terrible TE league" I picked up and started Olsen, (traded for Hunter Henry late week) so we will see how that turns out.

But in my other terrible TE league (yeah thats right, I am in 2 of these actually LOL) I started Herndon. I essentially diversified my terribleness.

In that league Herndon currently has me a slick  2 targets, 1 reception for a blistering 7 yards. (.07)   I was a hair from picking up OJ Howard, who of course has a TD.  My guys don't do such things though. I wouldn't know how to feel.      :lol:

TZM

Chris Herndon caught one pass for seven yards in Week 10 against the Giants.

Herndon was making his debut after a suspension and hamstring injury kept him out the first nine weeks. He got some run early, but didn't play many snaps after missing a couple blitz pickups. Herndon should eventually earn a larger snap share as he gets back into form. He can't be trusted for a Week 11 matchup with the Redskins.
Had one or two plays called back due to penalty but a get-your-feet-wet game.

Jets coach Adam Gase said Chris Herndon (ribs) will be out "an extended amount of time."

Whether he's able to return this season or not, Herndon's sophomore follow-up to his breakout 39/502/4 rookie campaign has been an unmitigated disaster that won't quit. There's a terrific chance he finishes all of 2019 with a single catch for seven yards. Ryan Griffin was previously in on 90.8 percent of New York's offensive snaps heading into Week 10 and makes for a long-shot streamer while Herndon's sidelined.
HOW THE F@CK DID HE BREAK HIS RIB HE ONLY PLAYED LIKE 20 SNAPS!!!

Rotoworld:

Jets placed TE Chris Herndon (ribs) on injured reserve, ending his season.

The fantasy sleeper who wasn't, Herndon's 2019 ends after catching one pass in one appearance. Suspended for the first four games, Herndon then picked up a hamstring injury that cost him time before injuring his ribs in his Week 10 debut. The 2018 fourth-rounder, who snagged 39 passes across 16 rookie contests, turns 24 in February. He will have under-the-radar bounce-back appeal for 2020 and is worth holding onto in dynasty leagues if you can spare the roster spot. Ryan Griffin will be an every-week TE2 in Herndon's absence down the stretch.

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Nov 12, 2019, 4:12 PM ET

That was entirely a wasted season and could possibly curb Darnold's development. Young man did a terrible job of getting himself ready to play football this year.

Herndon is sort of a microcosm if the Jets.
Yeah, he is. Poorly organized, undisciplined, suspended and/or hurt.

Our starting QB got mononucleosis and we had nobody feasible to trot out there. That's...that's stunning for a market like New York/New Jersey. 

The Athletic's Connor Hughes reports the Jets remain high on Chris Herndon following his lost 2019 season.

"To say the Jets can’t wait to get Chris Herndon back in their lineup is a vast understatement," Hughes writes. Herndon's 2019 went up in smoke pretty quickly, missing the first four games on suspension, pulling his hamstring while preparing to return from that suspension, playing 18 snaps in his Week 10 debut before then injuring his ribs and going on season-ending I.R. Herndon just turned 24 last week. His Dynasty price is about as low as it will ever be. This offense made Ryan Griffin a weekly TE1 for a good chunk of last season.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Mar 1, 2020, 10:32 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread