What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chris Mortensen on Mike & Mike (1 Viewer)

BigTex

Don't mess with Texas
From the Zone (TrueBlueCowboy)

Mortensen:

Hard to tell who is going first among Leinart, Cutler and Young right now. A lot of teams still have yet to place Young on their board. Jets are most likely to jump up to pick a QB, probably Leinart.

If Jets get Schaub, he thinks they'll be out of the QB draft sweepstakes. Doesn't think Atlanta will give Schaub up, though, since Vick is not a 16 game quarterback. They're not excited about Ramsey being their starter.

Bengals possible target for Ramsey. Jets still favorite but Ramsey being lost in the QB shuffle.

TO frenzy - Thinks the TO negotiations are going to go on a while since TO won't compromise on money and sign 1 year contract w/lots of incentives. Thinks Cowboys are best bet to give him decent contract. Predicts 2-3 weeks before anyone steps up and gives him contract he wants. KC is out of it. Denver got very chilly on TO after meeting with him. Miami, Nick Saban not sure he wants his locker room presence. Tampa doesn't have the cap room. So Dallas is the safe bet.

Keyshawn won't play football unless he gets what he's worth. Parcells going to let him test market and maybe sign him later when Key realizes he can't get money he wants. Pats are possibility for Key, no insider info on that, just the type of receiver Belichick would probably like. Raiders would have been a target if not for their cluster at the position. Someone will sign him after the draft.

Just to clarify as some of these points were a little misleading...

QB Situations:

Culpepper -- Mort said Culpepper was moved because he never bonded/embraced Brad Childress. He wouldn't accomodate Childress' overtures to come up to Minny for some meetings, and that combined with Culpepper's issues regarding his contract were enough for the new regime to move on. He also noted that Nick Saban and Culpep were recruiting each other hardcore, having as many as 20 phone conversations in the last week.

Brees & #2 Pick -- Mort was speaking about New Orleans and whether the signing of Brees would preclude them from drafting a QB at 2. Mort said [correctly] that Brees' deal could really be a one-year deal but if he plays well the team will absolutely pick up that $12mm option next year. From that perspective, the Saints could certainly justify taking a QB, Leinart most likely, at 2 if they can't/won't trade out of the spot. He also told folks to remember the names D'Brickshaw and Mario Williams [thanks for the newsbreaker Mort!].

Possible trade partners for #2 pick -- Then, when asked about which teams would be interested in trading up, Mort threw out all the old standards but was clearly speculating just as we've all done. He said the Jets are a logical candidate, and added that they don't have Vince Young on their radar but would want Leinart. He said the Cardinals are too low to move up, the Raiders are always a possibility.

Vince Young an X Factor -- He then reminded everyone that Vince Young still needs to be slotted on most boards and that could ultimately dictate whether Tennessee is comfortable sticking at 3 and taking Young, Leinart or Cutler [who Mort said were all in play to TENN, NOT as the top overall QB].

Patrick Ramsey -- Mort said Ramsey was being looked at by the Bengals but he refused to visit them, which puts the Jets squarely back in the driver's seat. Mort said if the Jets take Ramsey, they're not big on him a a long-term starter and the Jets would still probably look hard at drafting a QB. He said Miami and Oakland are other possible spots for Ramsey to land.

Matt Schaub -- Reports about Schaub going to New York in a trade for Abraham appear overblown. Mort said that Art Blank put down the mandate that Schaub isn't on the trading block b/c Vick isn't a full time player. Mort added that, unlike Ramsey, the Jets DO view Schaub as a potential franchise starter and that if the Falcons change their minds, the Jets wouldn't look at QB in the draft.

TO frenzy - Thinks the TO negotiations are going to go on a while since TO won't compromise on money and sign 1 year contract w/lots of incentives. Thinks Cowboys are best bet to give him decent contract. Predicts 2-3 weeks before anyone steps up and gives him contract he wants. KC is out of it. Denver got very chilly on TO after meeting with him. Miami, Nick Saban not sure he wants his locker room presence. Tampa doesn't have the cap room. So Dallas is the safe bet.
I'm surprise no one has made any comments on this. Why did Denver get "chilly" on TO after meeting with him. Hhhhhmmmmmmm......smells like trouble.

Brees & #2 Pick -- Mort was speaking about New Orleans and whether the signing of Brees would preclude them from drafting a QB at 2. Mort said [correctly] that Brees' deal could really be a one-year deal but if he plays well the team will absolutely pick up that $12mm option next year. From that perspective, the Saints could certainly justify taking a QB, Leinart most likely, at 2 if they can't/won't trade out of the spot. He also told folks to remember the names D'Brickshaw and Mario Williams [thanks for the newsbreaker Mort!].
My take - the Saints will absolutely not take Leinart. In order for Brees to sign they much have had some agreement that the Saints wouldn't draft a QB, at least in the first round. Were they to draft Leinart, it would demoralize Brees and pretty much kill any hope of him having a good season. Why would he need to play well when he would be guaranteed to be out the door in 2007?

My take - the Saints will absolutely not take Leinart. In order for Brees to sign they much have had some agreement that the Saints wouldn't draft a QB, at least in the first round. Were they to draft Leinart, it would demoralize Brees and pretty much kill any hope of him having a good season. Why would he need to play well when he would be guaranteed to be out the door in 2007?
I could not disagree more. Please remember this is the sam Drew Brees that fell into the starting positionn in SD because their high draft pick held out too long, he then fought like crazy and held the job. There's no way he would just roll up his carpet and quit on the season, because he went through this before and came out on top.Secondly, I don't think the team would guarantee ANYTHING about who they will and won't draft to a free agent prospect.

I am not saying they WILL draft Leinart, but I do not agree with your line of thinking on this one.

I doubt the Saints will admit it, but I think that Leinart is not in play.

I don't think the contract is hedging their bet in the draft, I think it's hedging their bet with Brees' shoulder. Mort mentioned that the Fins doctors weren't 100% about Brees' shoulder.

I don't see the Brees contract as a one year deal, I see it as a Saints hedge against Brees' shoulder falling apart. And from Brees' standpoint, he knows if his shoulder is good, the Saints pick up the deal. If not, he got 10 mill for one year, and goes back on the market.

Basically, it's the Saints saying, "if your shoulder is right, you have the long term deal. If not, you got franchise QB money for one year, and your freedom."

It had to be a stipulation to them paying him the most money.

You mean like he tanked it after the Chargers selected Eli first overall and traded him for Rivers - the 4th selection? Seems like having someone breath down his neck is the only way to get the guy to produce at a high level. Remember, Brees was considered a bust before the Chargers added Rivers to the roster...

I'm surprise no one has made any comments on this. Why did Denver get "chilly" on TO after meeting with him. Hhhhhmmmmmmm......smells like trouble.
Good point - this guy TO might be the sort to cause distractions or something... we'll have to keep an eye on this and see if there are any other signs that he might not be a model teammate.

I could not disagree more. Please remember this is the sam Drew Brees that fell into the starting positionn in SD because their high draft pick held out too long, he then fought like crazy and held the job. There's no way he would just roll up his carpet and quit on the season, because he went through this before and came out on top.Secondly, I don't think the team would guarantee ANYTHING about who they will and won't draft to a free agent prospect.

I am not saying they WILL draft Leinart, but I do not agree with your line of thinking on this one.
I would agree that signing Brees doesn't mean the Saints wouldn't take a QB. There are valid points both ways - especially to take one since Brees could be the fill-in until Leinart can take over.The question has to be answered first is what is the Saints current philosophy? Are they gunning for a big playoff run or are they seeking to retool/rebuild for the umpteenth time? I think how that question is answered probably goes a long way towards trying to decipher their motives.

My :2cents: , but worth less than that.

Good point - this guy TO might be the sort to cause distractions or something... we'll have to keep an eye on this and see if there are any other signs that he might not be a model teammate.
LOL. Careful, Tick, you're splashing sarcasm everywhere.

Does it matter if they dont take Leinart for Brees. If he is damaged goods than they should be in position next year to bring Brady Quinn aboard. Probably are with or without Brees anyways.

This is interesting to me for two reasons:1) Denver has not been shy about doling out large bucks for questionable veteran talent in recent years (the Browns D-line; Darryl Gardener; etc.), so I have to wonder exactly what it was that turned them off during this meeting;

2) the theory tossed out by a lot of people is that TO will be a changed man, at least for one year, to "prove" everyone was wrong about him. Was he unable even to maintain that facade for a whole interview with a single team?

This is interesting to me for two reasons:1) Denver has not been shy about doling out large bucks for questionable veteran talent in recent years (the Browns D-line; Darryl Gardener; etc.), so I have to wonder exactly what it was that turned them off during this meeting;

2) the theory tossed out by a lot of people is that TO will be a changed man, at least for one year, to "prove" everyone was wrong about him. Was he unable even to maintain that facade for a whole interview with a single team?
I think that Denver got chilly over his contract demands. I think Jerry Jones is the only one crazy enough to sign TO to a multi year deal. You don't think it is eating at Jerry Jones that Snyder is getting all this press?

You don't think it is eating at Jerry Jones that Snyder is getting all this press?
Actually, no I don't. A few years ago, I would agree with that statement. Jerry is in his sixties now and his goal is to win. He checked his ego when he signed Parcells. Its all about winning now. Not making a big splash, like it was 10 years ago.

I think that Denver got chilly over his contract demands. I think Jerry Jones is the only one crazy enough to sign TO to a multi year deal. You don't think it is eating at Jerry Jones that Snyder is getting all this press?
It could be that Bolen was right all along in that people were overblowing Denver's interest in TO.

Does it matter if they dont take Leinart for Brees. If he is damaged goods than they should be in position next year to bring Brady Quinn aboard. Probably are with or without Brees anyways.
:goodposting:

I doubt the Saints will admit it, but I think that Leinart is not in play.

I don't think the contract is hedging their bet in the draft, I think it's hedging their bet with Brees' shoulder. Mort mentioned that the Fins doctors weren't 100% about Brees' shoulder.

I don't see the Brees contract as a one year deal, I see it as a Saints hedge against Brees' shoulder falling apart. And from Brees' standpoint, he knows if his shoulder is good, the Saints pick up the deal. If not, he got 10 mill for one year, and goes back on the market.

Basically, it's the Saints saying, "if your shoulder is right, you have the long term deal. If not, you got franchise QB money for one year, and your freedom."

It had to be a stipulation to them paying him the most money.
I agree 100%. Added bonus is that it can give the illusion that they may still draft a QB, thus maximizing the value of their #2 pick and yielding a lot more in a trade than if they were preceived as definitely OUT of the QB derby.

I don't think the Jets trade up for Leinart. IF N.O. takes him at 2, how likely are they to keep Brees for 2007? The Jets can sit at 4 for Cutler, and if he's gone, it's because N.O. took Leinart. Then, they can just pick up Brees next year. Trading up would be a mistake.... one that the Jets are unlikey to make.

Heseemed to do quite well in San Diego in those exact same circumstances though.

Why did Denver get "chilly" on TO after meeting with him. Hhhhhmmmmmmm......smells like trouble.
Probably because of his contract demands ---- big money guaranteed, and not tied to behavioral incentives. Gee, I don't know why anyone would worry about his behavior. :rolleyes:

It could be that Bolen was right all along in that people were overblowing Denver's interest in TO.
Perhaps. But as people drop out of the TO sweepstakes, then Dallas' bargaining position strengthens. So I wouldn't count it a given that TO will get a big non-incentive contract. The man is a weirdo, and although he has incredible talent, no one likes cancer.

Or was trying to drive up the price of TO for division rival KC, who was also reported to be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread