What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Chris Simms thread *** (1 Viewer)

cscmtp

Footballguy
just wondering what everyone thinks of this kid. Seems to have pretty decent upside in the offense, and his first start this year is vs the 49ers. Anyone think he puts up decent numbers? Secures the job long term?

I don't think Tampa will pass much in this game. Simms will look good handing the ball off to Caddy & Pittman.

I agree with that, and think the 49ers will dare them to throw. If Simms has 8 or 9 guys in the box, i'd think between Galloway and Clayton, he'd have a good chance to go deep for a big play or two...

I agree with that, and think the 49ers will dare them to throw. If Simms has 8 or 9 guys in the box, i'd think between Galloway and Clayton, he'd have a good chance to go deep for a big play or two...
The unfortunate part of that line of reasoning, is that the 49er's HAVE been playing 8 & 9 in the box and teams are STILL running all over them.Last week the Skins pulled their #1 RB (Portis) and played the #2 RB (Betts) then the #3 RB (Cartwright) and the 49er's just bent over and allowed themselves to be cornholed like a fresh faced prison punk by all three.

The only way the Tampa passing game does anything is if Gruden has a brain fart and accidently sends in a passing play or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody that starts Simms in his first game out is INSANE. :crazy: The guy hasn't played in a live (non-preseason game) for over a year. And his last performance in a regular season game wasn't all that stellar.Don't get me wrong - I think Simms definately has some upside. I stashed him on my roster after Griese went down. But, I also picked up Rattay because this could go either way.

Gruden will want to see what he has in Simms at least a bit. He'll be confident in his defense and running game enough that he'll believe they can bail him out if Simms struggles. I expect to see Simms throw more than many believe. I would guess about 200 yds and 1 TD, 1 Int.

For what it's worth, these are the Qb's that have played San Fran and this is how they did.(didn't include the ints)Week 1: Bulger 362 yards, 2tdsWeek 2: McNabb 342 yards, 5 tdsWeek 3: Bledsoe 363 yards, 2 tds, 1 td rushWeek 4: McCown (sp?) 385 yards, 2 tdsWeek 5: P. Manning 255 yards, 1 td Week 6: Brunell 252 yards, 3 tdsWeek 7: Simms *** yards, * td(s) ?Hm...I'm thinking about 250 yards maybe 2 td's ?I expect to see alot of Cadallac & Pittman ...as for the #'s for Simms...I'm not sure...Week 5 & 6, San Fran played against 2 good rb's - Edge, PortisWek 7, San Fran faces Cadallac (sp?)So I'm thinking something similar to the last 2 weeks.Week 1, Bulger basically aired it out and no running gameWeek 2, McNabb aired it out, no running game (If I am correct, this was Westbrooks big game?)Week 3, same thing, no running gameWeek 4, same thing, no running gameIs this a trend?Don't get me wrong, San Fran has faced a Pro Bowl QB (either now or in the past) every single week EXCEPT for Week 4, McCown.So I'm not comparing Simms to them, but just stating some stats.

With the injury to Bulger I have no choice but to start him. My other option is Gus F. and he burned me like hell last week. :thumbdown:

For what it's worth, these are the Qb's that have played San Fran and this is how they did.

(didn't include the ints)

Week 1: Bulger 362 yards, 2tds

Week 2: McNabb 342 yards, 5 tds

Week 3: Bledsoe 363 yards, 2 tds, 1 td rush

Week 4: McCown (sp?) 385 yards, 2 tds

Week 5: P. Manning 255 yards, 1 td

Week 6: Brunell 252 yards, 3 tds

Week 7: Simms *** yards, * td(s) ?
Ironic that Manning had by far the worst game of all the QB's playing against San Fran this year.

With the injury to Bulger I have no choice but to start him. My other option is Gus F. and he burned me like hell last week. :thumbdown:
EXACT same situation here. I will also be starting Pittman in hopes that he'll go off if Simms doesn't.

i am considering picking up simms and starting him over Holcomb & Bulger. Yeah, i got the wham bam with those 2 qb's a couple of weeks ago.I think Simms has good upside but who knows???? nothing in the nfl surprises me anymore.

Anybody that starts Simms in his first game out is INSANE. :crazy: The guy hasn't played in a live (non-preseason game) for over a year. And his last performance in a regular season game wasn't all that stellar.

Don't get me wrong - I think Simms definately has some upside. I stashed him on my roster after Griese went down. But, I also picked up Rattay because this could go either way.
He played in a "live" game last week...

I'm already kicking myself for not grabbing him last week, because I'm 8th in the waiver order and I know I won't be able to get him next week. :wall:

Gruden will want to see what he has in Simms at least a bit. He'll be confident in his defense and running game enough that he'll believe they can bail him out if Simms struggles. I expect to see Simms throw more than many believe.
I agree with this. It would make sense for Gruden to build Simms' confidence against this weak opponent.

I agree that they won't throw a ton in this game, but not because Gruden lacks confidence in Simms. He trusts him, and he's been around him long enough to "know what he has" in Simms. The fact is, they're playing SF, and it's just going to be really easy to run, run, run. Why WOULDN't you run first, no matter who you had behind center?Simms today (fwiw): 175-225 yds passing, 1td, maybe 2. 1 int. About what you'd expect from a Tb qb against a team like this.

Gruden will want to see what he has in Simms at least a bit.  He'll be confident in his defense and running game enough that he'll believe they can bail him out if Simms struggles.  I expect to see Simms throw more than many believe. 
I agree with this. It would make sense for Gruden to build Simms' confidence against this weak opponent.
Although it's his first game out of the gate... this is a perfect scenario for him to perform well. If he fails vs SF, be very wary. My finger is on the the TimRattay-trigger.

Anybody that starts Simms in his first game out is INSANE.  :crazy:   The guy hasn't played in a live (non-preseason game) for over a year.  And his last performance in a regular season game wasn't all that stellar.

Don't get me wrong - I think Simms definately has some upside.  I stashed him on my roster after Griese went down.  But, I also picked up Rattay because this could go either way.
xbox live?

Anybody that starts Simms in his first game out is INSANE.  :crazy:   The guy hasn't played in a live (non-preseason game) for over a year.  And his last performance in a regular season game wasn't all that stellar.

Don't get me wrong - I think Simms definately has some upside.  I stashed him on my roster after Griese went down.  But, I also picked up Rattay because this could go either way.
xbox live?
I believe he was referring to Simms 6-10, 69 yards against Miami when he replaced Griese. I'm taking a shot and starting Simms today. His numbers should be fairly pedestrian, about 220-250 yards and 2 scores seem about right to me. Guaranteed his biggest pass play comes off of a screen to Pittman. That's how they succeed in the passing game today.

I have also decided to roll the dice and start Simms this week. It's not as if my other option (Holcomb) was terribly enticing.

The unfortunate part of that line of reasoning, is that the 49er's HAVE been playing 8 & 9 in the box and teams are STILL running all over them.Last week the Skins pulled their #1 RB (Portis) and played the #2 RB (Betts) then the #3 RB (Cartwright) and the 49er's just bent over and allowed themselves to be cornholed like a fresh faced prison punk by all three.

The only way the Tampa passing game does anything is if Gruden has a brain fart and accidently sends in a passing play or two.
Oh sorry wrong answer. Guess that is why they play the games, :boxing: 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter:

Caddy 20 yards, 0 tds

Pittman 18 yds, 0 tds

Simms 19/30 ATTEMPTS 258 yds, 1 TD

Hmmm

Says who? YOU? LMAO!He completed over 60% of his passes, he had a few bad decisions... Tough to play QB with a team that didn't come to play.He wasnt good, but I find it humorous that people think he was HORRIBLE. Turn on the Philly game and see how PRO BOWL McNabb is doing. Yeah... he is having a worse game. and he has TO!

I love the Niners, and I think that they are better than people give them credit for but to say that Simms was better than McNabb because he had a higher completion % is ingnorant. How many fumbles did McNabb have? Who threw for more TD? Who is playing with a sports hernia? This is a dumb comment.
McNabb missed on his first 12 passes and 7-8 of them were POOR throws.He pretty much tanked the Eagles from the get go and if it wasnt for TO and Westbrook, they would of been completely SUNK. TO+Westbrook does not equal Galloway+Caddy.IGNORANT, trying watching a football game first, and see what color that Kettle is before you post again. Black I presume. :rolleyes:

Says who? YOU? LMAO!

He completed over 60% of his passes, he had a few bad decisions... Tough to play QB with a team that didn't come to play.

He wasnt good, but I find it humorous that people think he was HORRIBLE. Turn on the Philly game and see how PRO BOWL McNabb is doing. Yeah... he is having a worse game. and he has TO!
Look, if Chris Simms can't make the 49ers pay when they put 9 men in the box to stop the run, he doesn't deserve to be in the NFL. Period.

IGNORANT, trying watching a football game first, and see what color that Kettle is before you post again. Black I presume.

:rolleyes:
You know, the philly and bucs games were on simultaneously. So you are ripping him for not having watched, when you clearly couldn't have watched both Simms and McNabb at once.

Gargoyle

Simms BLOWS

####
:hey: Awesome come back, about as smart as your original post.

If we are counting bad games... then Why oh WHY is Favre in the league???

Oh thats right, 4 BAZILLION starts MORE then Simms 2nd career start.

Outstanding.

Please turn off the comp before you hurt yourself.

IGNORANT, trying watching a football game first, and see what color that Kettle is before you post again. Black I presume.

You know, the philly and bucs games were on simultaneously. So you are ripping him for not having watched, when you clearly couldn't have watched both Simms and McNabb at once.
Yeah Direct TIcket............................... :no:

Its 2005 man, The Dish is sitting on my roof.

LOL at the Simms bashers. How many people played the TB DEF this week? NO sacks, NO ints, NO fum recs, NO safeties, NO def TDs. Simms threw for 264 and a long TD(78). Most leagues would award more points for Simms' performance than for the TB DEF performance. If TB had played their typical DEF game then TB would have been in much more rhythm offensively and not been in pass mode the entire 4th Q. :boxing:

LOL at the Simms bashers. How many people played the TB DEF this week? NO sacks, NO ints, NO fum recs, NO safeties, NO def TDs. Simms threw for 264 and a long TD(78). Most leagues would award more points for Simms' performance than for the TB DEF performance. If TB had played their typical DEF game then TB would have been in much more rhythm offensively and not been in pass mode the entire 4th Q. :boxing:
First, the 78 yard TD didn't require any skill on Simms part. It was a great play by Galloway.Second, its hard to sack a QB when all he is doing is handing the ball off. The 49ers ran a conservative gameplan. They only completed 8 passes all day. But when your offense gives you NO help against the WORST defense in the league, they are to blame.

Why all the hating? He really wasn't to good with the game on the line. Joey did have a good TD andhe made some other good throws, but with the pressure on he didn't even throw the ball. :bag:

I love the Niners, and I think that they are better than people give them credit for but to say that Simms was better than McNabb because he had a higher completion % is ingnorant.  How many fumbles did McNabb have?  Who threw for more TD?  Who is playing with a sports hernia?  This is a dumb comment.
McNabb missed on his first 12 passes and 7-8 of them were POOR throws.He pretty much tanked the Eagles from the get go and if it wasnt for TO and Westbrook, they would of been completely SUNK. TO+Westbrook does not equal Galloway+Caddy.

I never said McNabb was great today I just said he was better than Simms, McNabb is injured, he sucked in the game today, does that mean that Chris Simms is a good QB even though he was healthy and didn't play any better than McNabb. Simms wasn't even the best QB on his College team, he is only in the NFL because people want him to be his Father. Thats it. So tell me I am wrong for saying McNabb is still good and Simms sucks.

What the TB defense did had no bearing on Simms production. I'll give him credit for, umm, 3 nice throws. That's it. Galloway caught a 6 yard pass and went 72 more. Simms bounced about 7 throws at the feet of receivers. Worse, he has no pocket presence. Sack after sack after sack after fumble after....

I watched the game. Forget the stats - Simms played horribly. Allowed himself to get sacked - not because of a dominating defensive pass rush - but because he held onto the ball too long too often. Many, many very poorly thrown balls where the WRs were diving or sliding to get down to the ball. Many passes were "one-hoppers". Ugly. He didn't look like he knew how to move in the pocket, or scramble and slide correctly, or find a passing lane, . . . etc. Many times he was dumping off the pass on 3rd down situations - shows up on the stats as a completion and yards, but not pro-caliber decisions to get 1st downs and continue the drive. I could go on and on. If anyone wants to compare his stats with other QBs who had a bad day - well, good luck with that.

Remember Simms was coming off a bye week to prepare. Ugh. Horrible.

I watched the game. Forget the stats - Simms played horribly. Allowed himself to get sacked - not because of a dominating defensive pass rush - but because he held onto the ball too long too often. Many, many very poorly thrown balls where the WRs were diving or sliding to get down to the ball. Many passes were "one-hoppers". Ugly. He didn't look like he knew how to move in the pocket, or scramble and slide correctly, or find a passing lane, . . . etc. Many times he was dumping off the pass on 3rd down situations - shows up on the stats as a completion and yards, but not pro-caliber decisions to get 1st downs and continue the drive. I could go on and on. If anyone wants to compare his stats with other QBs who had a bad day - well, good luck with that.

Remember Simms was coming off a bye week to prepare. Ugh. Horrible.
:goodposting: He showed no awareness at all. He got sacked to end the game with almost 20 seconds left (it was only 3rd down), he could have gotten his team up to the line and spiked the ball with enough time for a hail mary, but he just lay on the ground feeling sorry for himself.

What the TB defense did had no bearing on Simms production. I'll give him credit for, umm, 3 nice throws. That's it. Galloway caught a 6 yard pass and went 72 more. Simms bounced about 7 throws at the feet of receivers. Worse, he has no pocket presence. Sack after sack after sack after fumble after....
Galloway had 8 for 149 and the TD. That's 7 for 71 w/o the 78 yarder. I don't care if Elmer Fudd is the QB as long as he can get the ball to Joey. Remember this is FF so it doesn't matter if the players are good NFL players only if they are good FF players. I am not saying Simms is a good FF player but he seems to be adequate if you are a Galloway owner. :hophead:

Users who are viewing this thread