What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clinton Portis to be released (1 Viewer)

finally, he's done.
As a lead back I think your right, but I think someone out there will give him a bunch of snaps.The real question now is who is the lead dog in Washington? Will they even have one this season?Shanahan strikes again. This year I'm not going to touch a Washington RB with a ten foot pole.

Last edited by a moderator:
There may be something left in the tank but if a team thinks they can get 250 carries out of him, forget it.

Guy started his career with 1300 almost every year for a handful of years and I don't recall anyone ever doing that. Dickerson? IIRC The Redskins had a ton of injuries two years ago on their OL and then this year Shanny flat out didn't do a good job as the team was worse. I said as such in previous threads and Redskins fans did bark about their line. Soooo for two years the Redskins line has been yuck, the team has been a mess and curiously (seriously think about it) Portis is the one that everyone thinks stinks now? Why is he the one to get the blame? Some blame is part of the game, I get that, but people are "all over" Portis a bit much.

I have no idea how good he is now but I'm confident he's neither done nor a superstar. What's wrong with the middle?

So the Redskins are releasing Portis and keeping Haynesworth.
Not a bad plan to sign a top back and incredible DT. they gotta spend some time figuring out why so many of their decent plans and theories don't pan out or maybe more appropriately blow up in their face. It doesn't seem to matter if it's Vinny Cerrato, a slew of coaches, the blame has been misplaced. Something or someone else is the prob

Guy started his career with 1300 almost every year for a handful of years and I don't recall anyone ever doing that. Dickerson? IIRC The Redskins had a ton of injuries two years ago on their OL and then this year Shanny flat out didn't do a good job as the team was worse. I said as such in previous threads and Redskins fans did bark about their line. Soooo for two years the Redskins line has been yuck, the team has been a mess and curiously (seriously think about it) Portis is the one that everyone thinks stinks now? Why is he the one to get the blame? Some blame is part of the game, I get that, but people are "all over" Portis a bit much.I have no idea how good he is now but I'm confident he's neither done nor a superstar. What's wrong with the middle?
History tells us there is usually very little middle ground with RB's. Portis already extended his career once by changing his style and putting on weight. He hasn't been able to stay healthy recently and while there is some burst there I don't agree that he could be Thomas Jones at this stage of his career.

Guy started his career with 1300 almost every year for a handful of years and I don't recall anyone ever doing that. Dickerson? IIRC The Redskins had a ton of injuries two years ago on their OL and then this year Shanny flat out didn't do a good job as the team was worse. I said as such in previous threads and Redskins fans did bark about their line. Soooo for two years the Redskins line has been yuck, the team has been a mess and curiously (seriously think about it) Portis is the one that everyone thinks stinks now? Why is he the one to get the blame? Some blame is part of the game, I get that, but people are "all over" Portis a bit much.I have no idea how good he is now but I'm confident he's neither done nor a superstar. What's wrong with the middle?
History tells us there is usually very little middle ground with RB's. Portis already extended his career once by changing his style and putting on weight. He hasn't been able to stay healthy recently and while there is some burst there I don't agree that he could be Thomas Jones at this stage of his career.
Thomas Jones had misdiagnosed pleurisy early in his career that people mistook for a rib injury. Once he was correctly diagnosed, he was good. Portis is trying to be more like Fred Taylor, Curtis Martin, Terry Allen, Corey Dillon, and Tomlinson - guys who were good early, then written off as done after some mediocrity. There's precedent for a player of his caliber to bounce back, especially on a better team.

Ryan Torain is a very good starting running back so they should be fine, probably could use a young backup though but Keiland Williams (if he's still on the team) could mean they don't need to add another back or at least not take one high in the draft.

Ryan Torain is a very good starting running back so they should be fine, probably could use a young backup though but Keiland Williams (if he's still on the team) could mean they don't need to add another back or at least not take one high in the draft.
Not sure I agree that Torain is a "very good" starting runningback.

Not sure I agree that Torain is a "very good" starting running back.
yeah seriously
He had a 4.5 ypc which was 10th for players over 150 carries. I wouldn't say he was bad in the time he had. That being said its Shannahan he'll take an RB in the draft, their stock will go up too high and they'll be valuable for maybe a year or two before he wants another back.

Not sure I agree that Torain is a "very good" starting running back.
yeah seriously
He had a 4.5 ypc which was 10th for players over 150 carries. I wouldn't say he was bad in the time he had. That being said its Shannahan he'll take an RB in the draft, their stock will go up too high and they'll be valuable for maybe a year or two before he wants another back.
so he did well this year. Nothing about the guy's career says he's a very good NFL RB. He has plenty to prove before he's very good.Guessing he was cut by 4 teams, didn't do much, then had several good games for Wash. "Very good" is much too strong IMO

Ryan Torain is injured much of the time. It doesn't matter how good he is if he's not playing.

I don't know if Shanahan would play favorites with Torain being one of "his guys," but Torain is very productive for being one of the least impressive looking runners I've seen in the last decade.

Users who are viewing this thread