What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Closers 2012 (2 Viewers)

Seriously time to start pondering who replaces Marmol. I'm guessing Michael Bowden.
Dolis in for Marmol in the bottom of the 9th
I think Dolis has potential, but he's got 3 Ks and 8 Walks in 14 innings. Not the kind of numbers that will fix this problem. Not that Bowden is a big step up. I have a feeling we're going to find out soon.ETA: just looking at those numbers and shaking my head. How does a guy who throws mid- to high-90s with a nice breaking ball only have 3 Ks in 14 innings?

Last edited by a moderator:
To be totally fair to Marmol, he did induce a groundball that should have been a double play that Stewart booted. Doesnt excuse the crappy pitching in the outing, but he did have a clean save yesterday. I think it is going to take a few more blown saves before Marmol gets the boot. Its not there is a quality alternative there.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be totally fair to Marmol, he did induce a groundball that should have been a double play that Stewart booted. Doesnt excuse the crappy pitching in the outing, but he did have a clean save yesterday. I think it is going to take a few more blown saves before Marmol gets the boot. Its not there is a quality alternative there.
at this point, i think the ship has sailed on trying to get trade-value from Marmol. If anything they try to let one of these other guys close for a while to what they got. Eventually Marmol will get the job back and hopefully traded.

Thanks for the -11 today Heath :thumbdown:
Dood. :confused: -2 in a non save appearance today:25 PC, INN, HA, BBI, 2 ER, HB
This jerk is killing me. I already lost Bailey so I can't afford to lose another closer. I picked up Cishek for two reasons: 1. He pitched the 9th inning in a tie game at home this past Saturday (FWIW, neither he nor Mujica pitched the day before and Mujica did not pitch in this game).2. On April 17th, Cishek pitched in a tie game in the top of the 8th inning. Mujica and Cishek both last pitched on April 14th so they were equally rested. Manager felt better going with him I guess...
I like Cishek better than Mujica because of Mujica's flyball tendencies and high HR rate. Juan Carlos Oviedo aka Leo Nunez is going to get a visa at some point and become the next in line.
Mujica gets the save today...I did something stupid and just dropped Cishek for Mujica before checking stats from last night.Cishek and Mujica both pitched yesterday (23 pitches and 12 pitches, respectively). Cishek was brought into a difficult situation and pitched well. Still think the job is his ... hopefully I can swap them again on Saturday...

Thanks for the -11 today Heath :thumbdown:
Dood. :confused: -2 in a non save appearance today:25 PC, INN, HA, BBI, 2 ER, HB
This jerk is killing me. I already lost Bailey so I can't afford to lose another closer. I picked up Cishek for two reasons: 1. He pitched the 9th inning in a tie game at home this past Saturday (FWIW, neither he nor Mujica pitched the day before and Mujica did not pitch in this game).2. On April 17th, Cishek pitched in a tie game in the top of the 8th inning. Mujica and Cishek both last pitched on April 14th so they were equally rested. Manager felt better going with him I guess...
I like Cishek better than Mujica because of Mujica's flyball tendencies and high HR rate. Juan Carlos Oviedo aka Leo Nunez is going to get a visa at some point and become the next in line.
Mujica gets the save today...I did something stupid and just dropped Cishek for Mujica before checking stats from last night.Cishek and Mujica both pitched yesterday (23 pitches and 12 pitches, respectively). Cishek was brought into a difficult situation and pitched well. Still think the job is his ... hopefully I can swap them again on Saturday...
:wall:
Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen told reporters Thursday that he's sticking with Heath Bell at closer."We're a better team with Bell closing," Guillen said. "There's no doubt. That's what we want. That's what I want." The 34-year-old right-hander has allowed 12 runs on 13 hits in 7 2/3 innings this season for an 11.74 ERA and stands just 3-for-6 in save opportunities. But the Fish are tied to him for the next three years at a whopping $27 million and apparently aren't willing to throw in the towel until things turn really ugly. Steve Cishek, Ryan Webb and Edward Mujica will remain in setup roles for now. May 3 - 3:21 PMSource: Miami Heral

Frieri traded to LAA. Does he take over, does Walden get his job back, does Downs keep it, or is it closer by committee?

Frieri traded to LAA. Does he take over, does Walden get his job back, does Downs keep it, or is it closer by committee?
Who knows? It's not like the Angels bullpen doesn't need help all over.I like the trade from the Padres' perspective. Amarista fills an organizational need at MIF and Roach has had ridiculous peripherals in a small sample. John Sickels' site had a good piece on Roach a few weeks ago. Neither guy projects as a star but getting two shots at serviceable players in exchange for a replaceable arm seems good for a team that has some building to do.

Gotta be Robertson here, no?
They're paying Soriano closer money, whatever that means
I am speculating that they will go with Robertson - but Soriano will have a ton of value as SU with an occassional save. If Robertson isn't ready to be a big league closer then Soriano takes over. Based on his numbers thugh, I think Robertson is ready. I grabbed Soriano anyway because I think both will have value.

Gotta be Robertson here, no?
They're paying Soriano closer money, whatever that means
I am speculating that they will go with Robertson - but Soriano will have a ton of value as SU with an occassional save. If Robertson isn't ready to be a big league closer then Soriano takes over. Based on his numbers thugh, I think Robertson is ready. I grabbed Soriano anyway because I think both will have value.
With the way this season has been going, it's entirely possible that someone else will end up in the closer's role. David Aardsma will be back from the DL eventually and the Yankees are always potential buyers at the deadline. The usual suspects (Street, Myers, Hanrahan, K-Rod) could end up in the mix.

Sale moved to pen and closer role for White Sox.
:shock: That's a complete head scratcher. They're saying he's dealing with minor elbow tenderness which is one of the reasons for the move. In that case, I think you shut him down temporarily and use one of the other guys to close. The unpredictable, high stress workload of a closer isn't exactly like a trip to the spa.

:shock: That's a complete head scratcher. They're saying he's dealing with minor elbow tenderness which is one of the reasons for the move. In that case, I think you shut him down temporarily and use one of the other guys to close. The unpredictable, high stress workload of a closer isn't exactly like a trip to the spa.
ThisLittle bit irate right now.

I'm not irate. I'm a Sale owner; his fantasy value has arguably increased since lunchtime. But in real life, it strikes me as an unnecessary risk for a young pitcher who is looking like an elite talent.

I'm not irate. I'm a Sale owner; his fantasy value has arguably increased since lunchtime. But in real life, it strikes me as an unnecessary risk for a young pitcher who is looking like an elite talent.
I think you meant decreased

I think you meant decreased
Well I said arguably

Bell blew another SV. Guillen left Cishek in to work 3 IP and throw 52 pitches. Huston Street got hurt.

Aside from that, not much happened.

Users who are viewing this thread