What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Closers 2012 (2 Viewers)

Should I own Cishek or Frieri (yahoo league, no holds)
Think that the Angels job is open for whoever can take it and run with it. Think it's almost a certainty that Bell is going to get another chance down the road. There's just too much $ involved there.Since I'm in a hold league, I do own Chisek. But saves and only saves, I'd lean towards Frieri

Think that the Angels job is open for whoever can take it and run with it. Think it's almost a certainty that Bell is going to get another chance down the road. There's just too much $ involved there. Since I'm in a hold league, I do own Chisek. But saves and only saves, I'd lean towards Frieri
Ask Barry Zito how he liked pitching in the World Series for the Giants.

Think that the Angels job is open for whoever can take it and run with it. Think it's almost a certainty that Bell is going to get another chance down the road. There's just too much $ involved there. Since I'm in a hold league, I do own Chisek. But saves and only saves, I'd lean towards Frieri
Ask Barry Zito how he liked pitching in the World Series for the Giants.
You're talking 7 World Series games compared to 162 regular season games. Lots of 4th and 5th starters don't touch the mound for Playoff / World Series teams regardless of how much dime they make. He also started 33 games for the Giants that year and was a 0.9 WAR which is not horrific by any means outside of what the Giants paid to get that 0.9.

for you dynasty guys - who is the best closer candidate in the minors right now?
Kelvin HerreraHeath HembreePhillippe Aumont Tanner Scheppers are names get thrown out there out there. It's tough to project closers because so much of their value is tied up in their role.

It's official.

Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said Monday that Kenley Jansen has replaced Javy Guerra as the team's closer.Guerra holds a 16/5 K/BB ratio over 12 1/3 innings, but he's also blown three saves and sports a 5.84 ERA and 1.70 WHIP. Jansen can have control issues at times, but he boasts an utterly dominant 15.2 K/9 rate during his career and holds a 2.70 ERA and 0.96 WHIP to go along with a couple saves this season. He could very easily be one of the best closers in the league right away.

I gotta get Cordero out of there.Who should I take?DolisFrieriThayer
Casey Janssen will serve as the Blue Jays' closer until Sergio Santos (shoulder) returns from the disabled list.How about Jansen or one of the guys mentioned above.I have Santos on my DLedit: too late, Janssen just picked up. :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
In today's game, the difference between pitching in the 8th and pitching in the 9th is such a big difference. Robertson is not good, Soriano gonna get his shot soon. Dotel who has closed (although he was always pretty shaky) and has been a great 7th inning guy since, completely melted down in the 9th the other day like the weight of the world was on his shoulders. I don't think your best reliever should necessarily pitch the 9th, but it has to be a guy with that ability to quickly forget his failures. Some guys have it, some don't.

In today's game, the difference between pitching in the 8th and pitching in the 9th is such a big difference. Robertson is not good, Soriano gonna get his shot soon. Dotel who has closed (although he was always pretty shaky) and has been a great 7th inning guy since, completely melted down in the 9th the other day like the weight of the world was on his shoulders. I don't think your best reliever should necessarily pitch the 9th, but it has to be a guy with that ability to quickly forget his failures. Some guys have it, some don't.
Robertson is a great test to this theory. Best reliever in baseball to one near disaster yesterday and one disaster today in his 1st two chances. I still think Yanks need to be patient with him. If they overreact we may have never known how good Mariano was. He blew 3 saves in his first two weeks as closer in 1997. People probably said the same thing then (great setup man, bad closer).

Robertson is a great test to this theory. Best reliever in baseball to one near disaster yesterday and one disaster today in his 1st two chances. I still think Yanks need to be patient with him. If they overreact we may have never known how good Mariano was. He blew 3 saves in his first two weeks as closer in 1997. People probably said the same thing then (great setup man, bad closer).
Might be best to start not comparing your closer to Mariano, no one will ever be that good. Sticking with him might be prudent short-term but you are going to need every single win you can get, you can only give him so much rope. Plus Soriano is a natural replacement, we'll see how it works out.

ChiSox were just kidding on Sale being the closer, I guess.

Updating a previous item, Chris Sale will start Saturday against the Royals after the MRI on his left elbow came back clean.Well, that was fast. Sale was pulled from the rotation last week and put into the closer's role due to concerns about his durability, but the young left-hander was able to convince GM Kenny Williams to give him another shot. To his credit, he does have a a 2.81 ERA, 1.00 WHIP and 29/8 K/BB ratio in 32 innings as a starter this season. However, the White Sox need to make a plan and stick with it at this point. As for the closer's job, those who stashed Addison Reed may soon be rewarded handsomely.

Holy crap, WTF with blown saves this year. I can't remember a season starting like this with so many horrible 9th inning performances, someone spit some numbers.

Soriano with a clean save. So glad I burned a quarter of my FAAB on Robertson.

Frank Frank got the save, but gave up another run (and put 3 on base). Only giving up the one run and actually completing an inning counts as progress for him though.

He got the dreaded double whammy of the manager vote of confidence and the "he's tipping his pitches" excuse. Better make sure Rauch is rostered.

Soriano with a clean save. So glad I burned a quarter of my FAAB on Robertson. Frank Frank got the save, but gave up another run (and put 3 on base). Only giving up the one run and actually completing an inning counts as progress for him though.He got the dreaded double whammy of the manager vote of confidence and the "he's tipping his pitches" excuse. Better make sure Rauch is rostered.
We haven't heard the last of DRob. If you don't like your move though, I'd be he still has trade value. I think you'll see a 65-35 save split between DRob and Sori if both stay healthy.

Soriano with a clean save. So glad I burned a quarter of my FAAB on Robertson. Frank Frank got the save, but gave up another run (and put 3 on base). Only giving up the one run and actually completing an inning counts as progress for him though.He got the dreaded double whammy of the manager vote of confidence and the "he's tipping his pitches" excuse. Better make sure Rauch is rostered.
We haven't heard the last of DRob. If you don't like your move though, I'd be he still has trade value. I think you'll see a 65-35 save split between DRob and Sori if both stay healthy.
Robertson MRI on rib, so looks like Sori for the foreseeable future

Yeah, I'll just ride it out and see what happens. Gambling on potential new closers is always a risk. I still love Robertsons' upside, if this injury is relatively minor. I did just turn down a Mauer for D-Rob trade (before the injury news). That's just due to my dislike of Mauer for fantasy though. The guy with Mauer wants him pretty bad though. If D-Rob starts getting saves again soon, I'll see if I can get someone better from him.

I have too many closers. Which of these would you look to deal?

Soriano, Johnson, Jansen, Broxton, Aceves, Janssen.

What are any of these guys worth anyhow? Am I better just getting as many saves as I can out of them until a few of them inevitably go down?

I have too many closers. Which of these would you look to deal?Soriano, Johnson, Jansen, Broxton, Aceves, Janssen.What are any of these guys worth anyhow? Am I better just getting as many saves as I can out of them until a few of them inevitably go down?
In roto, it's not a bad thing to bank saves. Except for K. Jansen, none of these guys are sexy enough to bring a high return. If somebody in your league is desperate for saves, Johnson would probably have the most value.

Something to watch for those hunting for saves:

Mark Melancon in AAA....11 games....11 IP 0 ER 19 SO 0 BB and 4 saves.....has to be close to returning to Red Sox
Aceves has been pretty decent. :shrug:
Just putting the info out there for those who are digging.
Oh yeah, much appreciated. I was just commenting on Aceves, he's very hit or miss but he definitely has closer stuff.

Benoit or Dotel next in line?
Knowing Leyland, Dotel. Has the 'experience' label and he loves Benoit in the 8th.If it were just based on skills, Benoit, by a lot. Contract helps too.
I think it will be Benoit but with Leyland, you just have no ####### idea. He loves his "roles" so Benoit's role is the 8th right now, so he might stay there (we all know he could just put Dotel in Benoit's role, but that might be too complicated). Sounds like Valverde might not be out too long so we'll probably see right away because the Tigers can't play a game this year, that isn't decided by more than two runs.I got Dotel in one league, Benoit in the other.

Is Holland or Crow next in line in KC? Have an open roster spot and am adding one of them to speculate a Broxton trade and get the K numbers in the interim, ideally when Santos comes back I'll pick up the other and drop Janssen too. Just trying to figure out the best course to get both.

Users who are viewing this thread