What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Closers, Closers in waiting, and Middle relief...... (1 Viewer)

I hate closers. Anybody axed saves from their league?

Is Crain still the favorite to become closer in Houston once he gets back?

I pretty much punt saves in my 6x6 and some league owners ridicule me for it. Just not worth it continually chasing this nonsense.

If Balfour keeps imploding, I think the Rays go to Leo Nunez next. If anybody is tracking that sort of thing.

McGee is easily the best reliever in the pen but Joe rightfully likes to bring him in come the 6th or 7th to get out of their biggest jams.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate closers. Anybody axed saves from their league?

Is Crain still the favorite to become closer in Houston once he gets back?
We thought about it a couple years ago, but as annoying as it is, chasing saves is just part of the game. Annoying, stupid, maddening, but part of the game.

Plus, saves really help grease the wheels to make trades happen.

I don't miss wins one iota, but I think I'd miss saves.

pollardsvision said:
Limp Ditka said:
Literally have the Zach Britton transaction entered and ready to go.
I was all fired up for Jenrry (paid $14/$200 after dropping $16 on Jeurys 2 days ago)that I missed Britton ($22). Ugh. Both could be gold in my league without P spots.
For me, I have 8 pitching slots available. Basically 4 SP, 3 RP and a flex. To have closers that you can put into a SP slot is such an advantage.

I pretty much punt saves in my 6x6 and some league owners ridicule me for it. Just not worth it continually chasing this nonsense.
In a 6x6 it's definitely an option to consider.
i never do in our March auction, but if my picks don't pan out I did bag it once in my 7x7. Knock on wood but I looked to have guessed right this year.
We had a guy in a 6x6 that did it every year and always did well. He won 3 years in a row at one point.

eta: innings were a category.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a 6x6 it's definitely an option to consider.
i never do in our March auction, but if my picks don't pan out I did bag it once in my 7x7. Knock on wood but I looked to have guessed right this year.
We had a guy in a 6x6 that did it every year and always did well. He won 3 years in a row at one point.

eta: innings were a category.
We have guys that try to carry 4-5-6 closers and keep piling up saves (10-team league). I have Perkins and Soria, had Hoover and Gregerson for a bit, but I've had much better success in the past with only a couple of legit closers and loading up on starters and a small offensive bench.

Heath Bell gets a minor league deal with the O's

Id ask why people still think he can pitch after throwing up a 4.91 ERA with a 1.51 WHIP since leaving SD, but I already know the answer

:proven:

GordonGekko said:
Also, what's up with Cody Allen and the Indians. The guy is clearly the best reliever in their pen and he's still working the 8th ( again, not a bad thing for leagues with Holds and deep rosters, but for Saves value, what is going to take? Axford and Shaw to blow up in a car accident? )
Francona said he likes Allen in the set-up role best, and he's been using him as a stopper in innings outside the 8th. Until Shaw blows one, seems like a good plan.

I have reached the point where I think I just need to punt saves...Veras, Johnson, Santos, Valverde, Broxton, Smith, Farnsworth...it has been quie a ride. I would continue to chase, but I have fallen too far behind. I could try and grab Qualls or Britton, but I would probably need to continually roll out 3 closers (we play any combo of 9 pitchers) to come close to catching others. These two guys are not enough IMO. The other obstacle is that we have limited waiver moves. Between closer woes and injuries, I have already burned 8 of my 15 moves. I can't afford to keep chasing.

I also have the league's worst WHIP, but I am thinking I may have an easier time gaining some places in WHIP than I would saves. my current staff...

Hernandez

Shields

Wilson

Kluber

Peralta

Bailey

Lincecum

Cingrani (DL)

Broxton

Smith

Johnson

So, what's the best way to do this? Should I replace those last three names with a couple of starters like Kuechal, Lyles, Bauer, Simon, ... Or should I look to add a couple RPs like Betances, Wade Davis, Will Smith, Cody Allen who may be able to nudge my WHIP (and ERA) in the right direction over time with just a few innings per week.

Any chance Axford gets his job back if/when he gets his #### together? Has been better his last 4 appearances. 3.2ip/4k/0h/2bb

Lindstrom just tweeted his ankle and was removed. No idea who takes over if it's a long term thing
Possible Ronald Belisario. I saw the play and it didn't look like Lindstrom sprained it. I just hope it's nothing serious like a torn Achilles or something like that.

Jason Motte will be activated tomorrow. Hearing some rumblings about him taking back the job from Rosenthal. What are you guys hearing?

Jason Motte will be activated tomorrow. Hearing some rumblings about him taking back the job from Rosenthal. What are you guys hearing?
I think by August he's the closer, but I'd think they'd work him in throughout the month of June into higher and higher pressure spots to see how he responds. They can use Rosenthal for 2 innings in high leverage spots, which seems to work better for that team this year.

Users who are viewing this thread