What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coach Frank Reich (1 Viewer)

Honestly pretty shocked they canned him. If this isn't just an overreaction to 1 game, from a very fickle owner, then they should have been way bigger sellers at the deadline then just Hines.

Reich should have very little trouble getting an OC job next year if he wants it.

As for Indy, its hard to imagine it gets any better this season. Maybe whenever Taylor gets healthy, they will at least have a running game, but the passing game is DOA, and that's the case pretty much regardless of QB.

ETA: They are still in 2nd place in their division, and have a win over KC. Just feels like an overreaction, and I'm not even a Reich fan. Why they went with Ehligner is a mystery, that has yet to be answered in a way that makes any sense, but that wasn't Reich's decision I've heard.
Really?? I called this last year. He was in way over his head. His usage of Taylor was mind blowing. Remember those games where Wilkins was getting carries?

He had Rivers, Wentz and Ryan and did very little with any of them. Don't blame the QB's either. Reich sucked.

Overreaction? I think not since he's in his 5th season and has 1 playoff win to show for it.

Pretty sure that's more than enough time to do much better. Team is also regressing, especially offensively. Changes needed to be made, and firing the OC was not the only fix.
Then they should have fired him in the offseason. What is to be gained by doing it now?

Ultimately the problem is ownership. I've never been a huge Reich fan, I've always thought he was grossly overrated and got WAY too much credit for the Eagles Super Bowl win. But in a season where they've been missing their best offensive player, some OL starters, and their best defensive player for almost the entire year, it just seems a little pointless to fire Reich to me.
Pointless, maybe. But not without reason. The offense still has good pieces and it's terrible. That's on him.

Field Yates
@FieldYates
·
1m

As best as I can tell, Jeff Saturday becomes the first person in NFL history to be named a head coach without any coaching experience at either the NFL or college level. He now takes over in Indy.

that's something.
That's out of left field
He's been in the ESPN studio, that's shocking
Irsay wants to be able to fire the whole coaching staff on a whim. Saturday will give Irsay control over a lot of the decisions that he must have felt Reich was not or would not do for him.
Is Irsay going to wear a head set in his Owner's Box?

Honestly pretty shocked they canned him. If this isn't just an overreaction to 1 game, from a very fickle owner, then they should have been way bigger sellers at the deadline then just Hines.

Reich should have very little trouble getting an OC job next year if he wants it.

As for Indy, its hard to imagine it gets any better this season. Maybe whenever Taylor gets healthy, they will at least have a running game, but the passing game is DOA, and that's the case pretty much regardless of QB.

ETA: They are still in 2nd place in their division, and have a win over KC. Just feels like an overreaction, and I'm not even a Reich fan. Why they went with Ehligner is a mystery, that has yet to be answered in a way that makes any sense, but that wasn't Reich's decision I've heard.

He had Rivers, Wentz and Ryan and did very little with any of them. Don't blame the QB's either. Reich sucked.
You say that like those guys weren’t awful at the point in their career that Reich got them. He’s had 7 QBs in his 5 years as a head coach. Other than Luck, they’ve all either been awful or at the end of their career long after they were actually good.

Saturday does a podcast appearance every Monday morning breaking down the Colts. Just listened to the one he did this morning and he sure did not sound like a guy who had any idea he’d be the head coach of the team by the afternoon that be was discussing on a podcast. This is so far out in left field.

Saturday does a podcast appearance every Monday morning breaking down the Colts. Just listened to the one he did this morning and he sure did not sound like a guy who had any idea he’d be the head coach of the team by the afternoon that be was discussing on a podcast. This is so far out in left field.
Brandon Stokley just now on the radio. I just played him yesterday in Fantasy Football. Wished him well said he coached his kids High school team.

This organization as a whole reminds me of WAS step for step.

Overenduglent bad owners.... check. GMs that sucked .... check. QB draft picks that fizzled fast (RG3 and Luck) ... check. Multiple veeteran QBs brought in that sucked ... check. Coaching changes ... check. Fan base over it ... check.

An NFL Head Coach's #1 job, over anything else, is to be a figurehead. A leader. A motivator. An evaluator and a delegator. A setter of standards. Someone who establishes, initiates, monitors and compels others in regards to team culture.

If a Team has competent O/D Coordinators, they can be the primary handlers of everything X's and O's, allowing the HC to fulfill his primary responsibility, without having to get his fingers in the minutia.

Jeff Saturday is about as Colt-y a Colt as you can get. In all the years he's been on, in and around the Team, the organization and the facility, he certainly ought to have the gravitas, charisma, whatever you want to call the intangible qualities important to being a leader of men.

If he possesses those things, for an in-Season hiring of an interim HC, IMHO, Saturday is a fine hire.

Helped the Eagles win their only Super Bowl in 2016 as their OC, you might remember that play where they threw it to the QB in the Super Bowl

Reich will be hired as an OC some where if he wants to coach.

Good man, hard situation he ended up in.
Took the job in 2018
Andrew Luck retires in 2019
Merry Go Round at QB form that point
Forget 2019. Forget Andrew Luck. How does the O line and running game go from being amongst the best to 32nd in the league? He had to get fired. He wasn’t inspiring the team to perform. After you tear up the team preaching accountability, then do the group hug us against the world thing and none of it works - what do you do? Bring in another leader. Nothing to lose

You say that like those guys weren’t awful at the point in their career that Reich got them. He’s had 7 QBs in his 5 years as a head coach. Other than Luck, they’ve all either been awful or at the end of their career long after they were actually good.
I don't think they were awful. I don't believe Wentz is awful. Was Ryan awful last year?? 3,900 yards 20 TD's and 12 INT's. Not awful.
And, on top of that, he had the best running game in the league. You didn't need those QB's to excel. But he waited far too long to lean on Taylor and that run game.

If you want to defend him, go for it. The record speaks for itself.

Brandon Stokley just now on the radio. I just played him yesterday in Fantasy Football. Wished him well said he coached his kids High school team.
Just nuts but here is hoping Saturday has Pittman on his fantasy team.

Last edited:

Really?? I called this last year. He was in way over his head. His usage of Taylor was mind blowing. Remember those games where Wilkins was getting carries?

Wentz and Ryan are bad QBs at this stage. Rivers was still good, even past his prime, and he made the playoffs with him. Reich isn't a good HC, he's a good OC.

JEFF SATURDAY IS THE INTERIM COACH!??????? Frankly I'm insulted Irsay didn't call me, I've got as much coaching experience as Saturday. Its entirely reasonable the Colts don't win another game this season, and even the Commanders/Texans have better ownership at this point. I wouldn't be shocked if they blow it way up this offseason.

Start everyone against the Colts going forward. Yes, Gary Oldman, EVERYONE!

Maybe some think Saturday will do an outstanding job
He may be a great football mind and a future HoF level HC, but starting off his career in this way is not an ideal start. A guy with zero coaching experience getting dropped into a mediocre team with a coaching staff he at best knows peripherally, and where one or two of them are probably more than a little annoyed they were passed over for an ESPN commentator. Sounds like a potential complete disaster.

And it is reportedly a violation of the Rooney Rule.
As a Miami fan I have watched first hand how a lot of this typically goes.
Usually the interim head coaches tend to be minority coaches and that automatically fills the Rooney Rule assuming they are also on the interview process, hard for anyone to point a finger and say the team is not being fair in their search.

I doubt a lot of people say much because it's an interim position and Saturday has worked for ESPN since 2013
I did not know Saturday was also a consultant for Indy the last several seasons, can you double dip studio/Mouse House and team/Colts at the same time?

The funniest part of this is Saturday wasn't even a successful high school coach. His team went 3-7.

ETA: Say what you want about him, but John Fox is on the Colts staff, and has coached in 2 super bowls. Gus Bradley is a former HC. If I were someone like Jonathan Taylor, I'd be like, welp, see you next year...maybe. I can't imagine veteran players like Gilmore, Buckner, and Leonard are gona be thrilled about some rando (which as a coach is what Saturday is) taking over.

For the on field product, this is worse than anything Dan Snyder has ever done.

The funniest part of this is Saturday wasn't even a successful high school coach. His team went 3-7.

ETA: Say what you want about him, but John Fox is on the Colts staff, and has coached in 2 super bowls. Gus Bradley is a former HC. If I were someone like Jonathan Taylor, I'd be like, welp, see you next year...maybe. I can't imagine veteran players like Gilmore, Buckner, and Leonard are gona be thrilled about some rando (which as a coach is what Saturday is) taking over.

For the on field product, this is worse than anything Dan Snyder has ever done.
Jim Zorn down?
He was relieved of his duties and still left in as head coach for.a while.

Washington went from 2-4 to 4-12, Colts are 3-5 and looking to secure 3-14 so they can inch very close to the No 1 pick overall and start over. Houston looks like they want to win a couple more games, Detroit is rolling now, Vegas won't be tanking, the field is not that vast. He's only got to skirt Tepper and the Panthers at that point and he might be home free.

It begs the question since media are now being hired away from studios and into the role of Head Football Coach...

Is Adam Schefter a good coaching candidate?

Please tell me that Adam Schefter is not a Head Coaching candidate because I never thought he would be on the halftime show of my Monday Night Football game. They present him like he's Jimmy Johnson on FOX. Why not throw his name in the hat for potential mid season replacements? It could help teams tank for the next season. Imagine even a 1-2 week gig for him at the end of year.

I think most of you know I have strong disdain for the amount of privileges this turkey gets for breaking news on his social media, news that would filter into regular places, he just jumps it a few minutes but he himself is not the news or creating it for that matter, he's simply a reporter and knows NOTHING about Xs and Os. When he chimes in or adds input on these pregame and halftime shows it is truly insulting to NFL fans that crave good analysis. I'm not interested in what he thinks the team is planning in the war rooms, it's usually way off base or a 180 from things that Bill Belichick is likely thinking about.

Have not had a chance to read up on this today so maybe this has been discussed but I just turned on NFL Live and they discussed that not a single person on the Colts staff has ever called plays.

Orlovsky, who has of course worked with Saturday a few years, suggested they might have Matt Ryan call plays. He’s probably off base but that this is even being discussed is just wow.

Have not had a chance to read up on this today so maybe this has been discussed but I just turned on NFL Live and they discussed that not a single person on the Colts staff has ever called plays.

Orlovsky, who has of course worked with Saturday a few years, suggested they might have Matt Ryan call plays. He’s probably off base but that this is even being discussed is just wow.
I'm mildly surprised John Fox never called plays, I mean he's a defense guy, but I would have thought at some point since he's been a coach since 1978.

Honestly, Matt Ryan calling plays probably wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. Perhaps it would unlock his next career path?

At least let Matt Ryan call the plays or something. I feel like he'd honestly be the most qualified one.

This is going to be the greatest train wreck in recent sports history.
It will be funny to see how ESPN reports on this. Normally the Colts should be “laughing stocks” for doing something as outrageous as this, but Saturday is one of theirs and would likely be back after this season is a disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread