What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coach K to retire after next season (1 Viewer)

Tom Servo

Nittany Beavers
Breaking

Legendary Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski will retire following the upcoming 2021-22 college basketball season, according to Stadium's Jeff Goodman. Krzyzewski, who turned 74 in February and is famously known as "Coach K," has led the Duke to five NCAA Tournament victories, 12 Final Four appearances and 27 combined ACC titles in tournament and regular-season competition since taking over the program ahead of the 1980-81 season.

When I lived in Maryland in the early 2000s, I went to a UM basketball game against Duke.  Duke had their normal top 5 ranking; I don't recall if Maryland was ranked.  However, the Terrapins played unbelievably and had a dominant lead throughout most of the game including a 10 point lead with a minute left.  The student section was crazed and frequently chanted, "Duck Fuke!  Duck Fuke!"  Long story short, Duke won the game in regulation.   

When I lived in Maryland in the early 2000s, I went to a UM basketball game against Duke.  Duke had their normal top 5 ranking; I don't recall if Maryland was ranked.  However, the Terrapins played unbelievably and had a dominant lead throughout most of the game including a 10 point lead with a minute left.  The student section was crazed and frequently chanted, "Duck Fuke!  Duck Fuke!"  Long story short, Duke won the game in regulation.   
That was probably the Gone In 60 Seconds game. Maryland was highly ranked and had a great team. They met Duke again in the ACCT semis and lost when Nate James tipped in a missed shot with a couple of seconds left. Then they met again in the Final Four. Maryland blew a 22 point lead and Duke went on to win the NCAA title. Maryland won it all the next season, but those were 3 horrible losses to stomach.

That was probably the Gone In 60 Seconds game. Maryland was highly ranked and had a great team. They met Duke again in the ACCT semis and lost when Nate James tipped in a missed shot with a couple of seconds left. Then they met again in the Final Four. Maryland blew a 22 point lead and Duke went on to win the NCAA title. Maryland won it all the next season, but those were 3 horrible losses to stomach.
How do you gag away a 10 point lead in a minute?  :eek:  

i guess im happy anytime anyone beats a horrible disease so to be consistent i guess this makes me happy take that to the bank brohans 

How do you gag away a 10 point lead in a minute?  :eek:  
I don't recall all of the details and will not go back to watch it again, but............ I believe Steve Blake fouled out and Duke kept pressing MD so that the ball went to Blake's backup (Drew Nicholas) and he kept turning it over. I also seem to remember Jay Williams making about 25 3 pointers in that last minute.

That was a see saw sports weekend for me. First, the gut punch of the Maryland loss. Then, the Ravens beat the Giants in the SB the next day.

I don't recall all of the details and will not go back to watch it again, but............ I believe Steve Blake fouled out and Duke kept pressing MD so that the ball went to Blake's backup (Drew Nicholas) and he kept turning it over. I also seem to remember Jay Williams making about 25 3 pointers in that last minute.

That was a see saw sports weekend for me. First, the gut punch of the Maryland loss. Then, the Ravens beat the Giants in the SB the next day.
It's another case of the winners writing the history, because the game is called Miracle Minute by ESPN (no surprise there).  However, I like your name for it better as it truly conveys what happened.

Side note: Isn't that the old fieldhouse where the game was?  Long ago in my youth I recall watching a Maryland basketball game where the M at center court was sideways. Was I dreaming that?

It's another case of the winners writing the history, because the game is called Miracle Minute by ESPN (no surprise there).  However, I like your name for it better as it truly conveys what happened.

Side note: Isn't that the old fieldhouse where the game was?  Long ago in my youth I recall watching a Maryland basketball game where the M at center court was sideways. Was I dreaming that?
Yes, that was at Cole Field House. The new building opened two seasons later.

Users who are viewing this thread