What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coaching Carousel: Master Thread (1 Viewer)

Any rumors on the Oakland coaching search.I've heard Pat Hill from Fresno St., but have nothing to back that up.

Any rumors on the Oakland coaching search.

I've heard Pat Hill from Fresno St., but have nothing to back that up.
It appears they are going to go the same route they went two years ago, which is wait until the other teams have cherry-picked the best candidates and then let Al Davis strong arm someone into the job who has no viable alternative.

It appears they are going to go the same route they went two years ago, which is wait until the other teams have cherry-picked the best candidates and then let Al Davis strong arm someone into the job who has no viable alternative.
Yikes. Sux to be a Raider fan these days. It's one thing to have your team finish with three straight 10+ loss years. It's another not to have any hope for the future.

Vikings hire Tomlin as defensive coachThe Vikings have hired Mike Tomlin as their defensive coordinator and will announce the move at a news conference this afternoon at Winter Park.Tomlin, 33, has served as the defensive backs coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the past five seasons. Tampa Bay led the NFL in total defense this season, giving up 277.8 yards per game. The top ranking was the second time in Tomlin's five seasons that the Bucs led the league, other coming in 2002.Tomlin is expected to bring the "Tampa 2" scheme to the Vikings.Tomlin will replace Ted Cottrell, who was fired along with eight other Vikings assistants by new head coach Brad Childress on Sunday.
http://www.startribune.com/510/story/174913.html

With all these "good" candidates, why are the Lions targeting Grimm?

Typical Lions.
Playing Devil's Advocate, why would Russ Grimm be a great candidate for the Lions HC position?Grimm almost had the Bears job two years ago, and came back to the Steelers and was given the additional title of assistant head coach with an eye toward leaving for a HC position in the future. Obviously Cowher is a good/great coach, and certainly runs a top-tier program. Who better to learn under? Furthermore Grimm understands the importance of a solid OL and is rumored to be both a disciplinarian AND a coach the players love.

For the JETS fans From the Times

Meanwhile, Mike Tice, who was fired as coach after a tumultuous season in Minnesota, will interview with Bradway next week. Tim Lewis, the Giants' defensive coordinator, is also on Bradway's list, he said.

Mike Sherman, fired last week after his first losing season in six years at Green Bay, "is not coming in at this point," Bradway said. "He is on the radar screen, but not initially."

Asked if his plans included contacting any current N.F.L. head coaches, Bradway said no; that would rule out the Chargers' Marty Schottenheimer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yikes. Sux to be a Raider fan these days. It's one thing to have your team finish with three straight 10+ loss years. It's another not to have any hope for the future.
Al Saunders was Vermeil's recommendation to take over in Kansas City, and was viewed as the next in line for some time now. I would imagine there is probably some hard feelings after the Edwards hire by Peterson.I know the Raiders attempted to lure Saunders away during their previous search. I would not be surprised to see Saunders jump ship to Oakland, given recent events in Kansas City.

Sounds like Bates had a great interview

Bates takes his turn

Defensive coordinator interviews for top job

By TOM SILVERSTEIN, tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com

Given what could be the last shot in the Green Bay Packers' interview derby, defensive coordinator Jim Bates might have hit the right buttons to earn the National Football League head coaching job he has long coveted.

After waiting for general manager Ted Thompson to complete interviews with seven other candidates, Bates went to the plate early Tuesday and made a comprehensive presentation that very well might have put him at the top of Thompson's list to replace fired coach Mike Sherman. It is no secret that Thompson greatly respects the job Bates did this season in his first year with the defense and his interview confirmed the detail and commitment the defensive coordinator intends to put into the job if named head coach.

Thompson has only one other interview scheduled - with Pittsburgh assistant head coach / offensive line Russ Grimm on Friday - but the possibility exists that he will move to secure his head coach in the next day or so. Bates, 59, has been a leading candidate since the day Thompson fired Sherman and his solid relationship with his boss is a huge factor in his favor.

Throughout the interview process, various candidates and their representatives have said, Thompson has stressed how important it is for the general manager and head coach to have a strong bond. There's no question Bates and Thompson share similar philosophies about playing defense and handling players and throughout the season, Bates showed no reluctance to play the young players Thompson provided him through the draft.

Bates did not return a phone message left at his office, but he has said he thinks he is the most qualified in the field of candidates and his agent has said it's unlikely anyone could present a better case to Thompson.
http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jan06/384168.asp

There is a thread on the Packers board about John Clayton on ESPN radio this a.m talking about the Packers HC job.He apparently thinks Bates is going to get the Packers job and that Favre is not coming back. I didn't hear the radio clip. Did anyone hear it?NW

I'm wondering what Herman Edwards will do for offense in KC. I mean, KC has had the best offense in the league for several years now. He'd be an idiot if he didn't try and keep Saunders at this point. Herm bringing his style of "offense" to K.C. would be a real joke.I also love the way the Vikings are shaping up. Childress was an excellent hire and although I liked the waaay the Vikings' D was shaping up under Cottrell, hiring a top Tampa assistant to be DC is not too bad. With the story of how many Bucs positional coaches there are as free agents, 8 or 9, it'll be interesting to see if Tampa dud can lure some of his guys to come with him to Minnesota.

Looking to verify, but Madison ESPN Radio 1070 reported this morning that Green Bay has contacted San Francisco about Mike McCarthy. He is now my dark-horse to get this job. Thompson is familiar with him. He knows the Green Bay offense. He might be the type of hire that makes Favre stay. It sounds like Mr. Childress missed his scheduled interview yesterday.

McCarthy is making too much sense right now......

http://www.sf49ers.com/team/CoachesBio.asp?CoachID=77

With innovative game plans that feature both chain-moving power and quick-strike passing, McCarthy is widely known as one of the top offensive minds in the NFL. McCarthy is a reputed developer of quarterbacks, having tutored Brett Favre, Jake Delhomme, Jeff Blake, Marc Bulger, Matt Hasselbeck and Aaron Brooks.

McCarthy joins San Francisco after serving as the New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator since 2000. After leading the NFC in scoring in 2002 with 432 points and 49 touchdowns, the Saints had another record-breaking season in 2003. The 340 points the Saints scored that season was the eighth-highest in club history, and all four of the team’s scoring totals since 2000 under McCarthy rank in the club's all-time top 10. Under McCarthy’s direction, the New Orleans offensive unit set 10 team records and 25 individual records.

Until McCarthy's hiring, the Saints hadn't produced a 1,000-yard wide receiver in eight years, but under McCarthy, Joe Horn caught 437 passes for 6,289 yards and 45 touchdowns and was selected for four Pro Bowls over a five-year span. Also until 2000, the team hadn't generated a 1,000-yard performance from a running back in a decade. But a Saints' running back has since reached the milestone each of his last five seasons. Two runing backs, Ricky Williams and Deuce McCallister, achieved this honor.

Following the 2000 season, McCarthy was chosen as the NFC Assistant Coach of the Year by USA Today.While coaching quarterbacks at Green Bay in 1999, the Packers ranked seventh in the NFL in passing and ninth overall in total offense with quarterback Brett Favre passing for 4,091 yards.

McCarthy also spent six seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs, serving as quarterbacks coach the last four years. As an offensive assistant in 1993-94, he worked closely with Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana. As quarterbacks coach from 1995-98, McCarthy's signal callers threw just 52 interceptions - the lowest total in the AFC during that period despite Kansas City using three starting quarterbacks during that span (Steve Bono, Rich Gannon and Elvis Grbac).
Call it hunch...I know people are already ripping Thompson for the move, but I like it. McCarthy is a solid offensive mind. Hopefully, they keep Bates.

There is a thread on the Packers board about John Clayton on ESPN radio this a.m talking about the Packers HC job.

He apparently thinks Bates is going to get the Packers job and that Favre is not coming back.

I didn't hear the radio clip. Did anyone hear it?

NW
I did not hear the Favre part. Clayton said on ESPN 1000 in Chicago that it looks like Bates is going to be the man in GB. It should be wrapped up this weekend.

Al Saunders was Vermeil's recommendation to take over in Kansas City, and was viewed as the next in line for some time now. I would imagine there is probably some hard feelings after the Edwards hire by Peterson.

I know the Raiders attempted to lure Saunders away during their previous search. I would not be surprised to see Saunders jump ship to Oakland, given recent events in Kansas City.
Saunders interviewed with Al Davis Today

There is a thread on the Packers board about John Clayton on ESPN radio this a.m talking about the Packers HC job.

He apparently thinks Bates is going to get the Packers job and that Favre is not coming back.

I didn't hear the radio clip. Did anyone hear it?

NW
Clayton is on a bad string lately.He insisted Herm Edwards was not going to KC because of the draft compensation issues and then made the circuit saying Bates was the "favorite" yet Mike McCarthy has been given the job according to ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2288985

Any word on Art Shell? He did not have the experience necessary to handle a HC position (and Al Davis) when he took over the Raiders years ago. He should be more seasoned now and ready for another try.

Any Saints fans here want to comment on McCarthy's offense while he was in the Bayou?
From a real football perspective: Inconsistent and unimpressive. Liked to call the 6 yard pass on 3rd and ten. Bad playcaller in crucial situations, like calling for three straight passes when the Saints have the lead and need to run out the clock.From a fantasy perspective: Very good for skill players, especially in the passing game. Considers backs to be all-purpose weapons (catch/run). Likes his QB's to have gunslinger mentalities.

Pretty reliable "insider" source on a Raiders board I frequent says that Saunders is the guy in Oakland. Take it for what it's worth.

Pretty reliable "insider" source on a Raiders board I frequent says that Saunders is the guy in Oakland. Take it for what it's worth.
Makes sense, Saunders was an Al Davis choice during the Norv Turner search [post Callahan] and IIRC the Chiefs wouldn't let him talk to Oakland.

Makes sense, Saunders was an Al Davis choice during the Norv Turner search [post Callahan] and IIRC the Chiefs wouldn't let him talk to Oakland.
And Al like to steal other AFC west teams of their best players and coaches (Mike Shanahan).

Any Saints fans here want to comment on McCarthy's offense while he was in the Bayou?
The offense has lacked discipline duing Haslett's tenure. I guess you need players that can count past three. McCarthy's playbook seemed to be a bit much for our "genius" players - too many reads w/ both qb and wr's, which was Brook's biggest downfall not to mention all of the dropped balls.Good luck, you'll always be three or four plays away from a victory and/or a playoff run! :bag:

I agree about how Saunders in Oakland makes a lot of sense, but I wouldn't scoff at the notion that Davis brought in a still angry and disgruntled employee from one of his most bitter rivals to pick his brain at an opportune time.I think Saunders and Pat Hill are still the most likely choices; I personally am hoping Hill gets the job, but either would be a huge upgrade over Norv Turner.

MINNESOTA VIKINGS-Named Darrell Bevell offensive coordinator and Darrell Wyatt receivers coach.MINNESOTA VIKINGS-Named Mike Tomlin defensive coordinator.Can anyone give any info on these guys?

MIAMI DOLPHINS-Promoted Bryan Wiedmeier to president and chief operating officer.In the dolphins organization his job amounts to....?

The man many think will be the Lions' next head coach is the man president Matt Millen reportedly will interview tonight in Pittsburgh: Steelers assistant Russ Grimm.

An NFL source said Wednesday the talk in coaching circles was that Grimm was the Lions' guy. Various media have reported Grimm is at or near the top of the Lions' list, with one ESPN.com columnist writing that "league and Lions sources" have said the job is Grimm's when the Steelers' season ends.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article.../601120516/1049

Jets schedule of interviewsJets conclude interview with Vitt Dan Leberfeld - Scout.comJanuary 11, 2006 at 9:08pm ETThe Jets interviewed Joe Vitt on Thursday for their vacant head coaching position.The former St. Louis Rams interim head coach, and long-time NFL assistant, spent Thursday in New York being interviewed by Jets GM Terry Bradway, assistant GM Mike Tannenbaum and owner Woody Johnson.The Vitt interview, like all the other sessions, took about seven hours. It's a very extensive process, and this is a big reason why Bradway doesn't conduct these interviews by himself. It's not a great idea for one person to handle an all-day interview. Former New Orleans Saints coach Jim Haslett was interviewed on Monday. Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson got this chance on Tuesday, and Vitt was up on Wednesday.Jets offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger will get his chance on Thursday.Jets brass will be up in Foxboro on Sunday to talk to New England Patriots defensive coordinator Eric Mangini.Former Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Tice will likely be interviewed next week.There has been a lot of speculation that Mangini is the leading candidate for the job. But according to a Jets source, this isn't the case. The source said it's an even playing field right now.There will be a total of eight candidates interviewed. The process should take between 1-3 weeks according to a Jets source.

The man many think will be the Lions' next head coach is the man president Matt Millen reportedly will interview tonight in Pittsburgh: Steelers assistant Russ Grimm.

An NFL source said Wednesday the talk in coaching circles was that Grimm was the Lions' guy. Various media have reported Grimm is at or near the top of the Lions' list, with one ESPN.com columnist writing that "league and Lions sources" have said the job is Grimm's when the Steelers' season ends.

I'm telling you, this is going to be a HUGE mistake.Various reports from other GMs claim he will be a horrible head coach.

No I do not have links. It's been talked about on the radio here at great length.

If they hire Grimm without at least interviewing T. Lewis, Millen is a joke.

He'd rather hire his buddy and former teammate than possible a better candidate.

There is a note in today's LA Times that the Raiders interviewed Al Saunders on Wednesday and James Lofton Thursday for the HC job. Lofton has been the Chargers receivers coach for the past four years.Also noted that Mark Carrier has been hired as the DB coach for the Ravens.

I'm telling you, this is going to be a HUGE mistake.Various reports from other GMs claim he will be a horrible head coach.

No I do not have links. It's been talked about on the radio here at great length.

He'd rather hire his buddy and former teammate than possible a better candidate.
No offense Payne but I HIGHLY doubt any GM, much less several, would allow themselves to be quoted deriding the prospects of ANY head coaching candidate much less one that other teams seem to be looking at. In what context would that come up in conversation? And how many GMs are you hearing say this [do you travel a lot?].

Furthermore, Grimm nearly landed the Chicago Bears job two years ago, and IIRC, that was the only HC job he's ever seriously interviewed for.

No offense Payne but I HIGHLY doubt any GM, much less several, would allow themselves to be quoted deriding the prospects of ANY head coaching candidate much less one that other teams seem to be looking at. In what context would that come up in conversation? And how many GMs are you hearing say this [do you travel a lot?].

Furthermore, Grimm nearly landed the Chicago Bears job two years ago, and IIRC, that was the only HC job he's ever seriously interviewed for.
Jason, you've said this before. I understand.A beat writer here in Detroit has had numerous GM's and front office execs tell him behind closed doors that some feel Grimm will fail as a head coach. That he doesn't have the organizational skills, etc to succeed.

Maybe he will. Maybe he won't. It just seems like there are better candidates out there for the Lions. I would hate to see Millen hire Grimm simply because he is a former team mate and a close friend.

There is a note in today's LA Times that the Raiders interviewed Al Saunders on Wednesday and James Lofton Thursday for the HC job. Lofton has been the Chargers receivers coach for the past four years.
Ding ding ding....we have our Raiders minority interview

Jason, you've said this before. I understand.A beat writer here in Detroit has had numerous GM's and front office execs tell him behind closed doors that some feel Grimm will fail as a head coach. That he doesn't have the organizational skills, etc to succeed.

Maybe he will. Maybe he won't. It just seems like there are better candidates out there for the Lions. I would hate to see Millen hire Grimm simply because he is a former team mate and a close friend.
I am pretty certain that Joe Gibbs wanted Grimm to be on his staff (a lot of this never becomes public), but Pittsburg would not let Grimm go. As far as I have heard, Russ Grimm is very well thought of. Even as a player, he was identified as a future coach and became a Redskin TE coach when he retired from playing.

I am pretty certain that Joe Gibbs wanted Grimm to be on his staff (a lot of this never becomes public), but Pittsburg would not let Grimm go. As far as I have heard, Russ Grimm is very well thought of. Even as a player, he was identified as a future coach and became a Redskin TE coach when he retired from playing.
Sure seems like he's the guy. Problem is, Buffalo might have some interest in him as well. He was their 2nd choice last time they were looking for a coach.

Jeff Jagodzinski, O-Line coach for the Atlanta Falcons has been hired to be the next O-Coordinator for the Green Bay Packers.Fantasy significance in that he will be asked to bring a zone-blocking scheme to Green Bay.

Jeff Jagodzinski, O-Line coach for the Atlanta Falcons has been hired to be the next O-Coordinator for the Green Bay Packers.

Fantasy significance in that he will be asked to bring a zone-blocking scheme to Green Bay.
Interesting twist. Mike Sherman fired Jagodzinski who was a Packers assistant coach (tight ends) after the 2003 season, together with Ed Donnatel.

Users who are viewing this thread