What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Collectively, A Thread To Celebrate Our Kids Athletic Accomplishments (1 Viewer)

His RBI stand up double was a 10 pitch AB. Worked an 0-2 count to 3-2 then fouled off 4 straight sliders. Pitcher finally gave in on a middle in fastball that he one hopped the LF wall on.

Also worked an 8 pitch walk and saw nothing but breaking pitches that AB.
This is so impressive. Probably the most impressive info from all the stuff you have posted. These types of AB's are incredible and really kill the opposing pitcher. Just a great boost for your team.

Hopefully he stays locked in.

My son did not add any regional cuts in the "last chance meet". He attempted the 50 and 100 Breast and 100 IM. Added time on all three which is honestly not surprising as he has missed a ridiculous amount of swim practice this season between football and then basketball.

So four events for regionals this weekend. 50 and 100 Free and 50 and 100 Fly.

He is only one out of five swimmers in the club to make cuts out of around 60-70 kids.

For a sport that he least the likes out of the sports he does and really doesn't put in the effort to it.... he does dang well at it.

Game 3 and 4

Batting from the 3 hole

Total's from the day:

3/7
2B
2 RBI
2 R
SB
BB

Kid is mashing. His outs were hard hit rockets, one where he reached on an error on a frozen rope down the 3B line and the 3B bobbled it then threw a low bouncer because he was hauling down the baseline.

His RBI stand up double was a 10 pitch AB. Worked an 0-2 count to 3-2 then fouled off 4 straight sliders. Pitcher finally gave in on a middle in fastball that he one hopped the LF wall on.

Made all his plays defensively.

Needless to say his coaches are thrilled and he is in a zone.....next double header is the 28th.

A call up to Varsity is gonna happen soon.

His coaches told him he is seeing better pitching than the Varsity squad.....they have played 2 JUCO's and they are D1 caliber Juncos he has faced. Guys sitting between 88-92 with junk.

Proud of him. He never misses a lift, he is so locked in.

His overall body strength has accelerated since he left Douglas and was put on a strength, speed and conditioning program at the collegiate level. It really is pretty amazing the transformation he has made physically. Yet he is still nimble and has increased his speed, range and arm strength defensively.

Love it. A true late bloomer success story developing here.

We head up March 4-6 and April 1-6 and I can't wait to see him play in person again. It's been a long time.

Game 3 and 4

Batting from the 3 hole

Total's from the day:

3/7
2B
2 RBI
2 R
SB
BB

Kid is mashing. His outs were hard hit rockets, one where he reached on an error on a frozen rope down the 3B line and the 3B bobbled it then threw a low bouncer because he was hauling down the baseline.

Made all his plays defensively.

Needless to say his coaches are thrilled and he is in a zone.....next double header is the 28th.

A call up to Varsity is gonna happen soon.

His coaches told him he is seeing better pitching than the Varsity squad.....they have played 2 JUCO's and they are D1 caliber Juncos he has faced. Guys sitting between 88-92 with junk.

Proud of him. He never misses a lift, he is so locked in.

His overall body strength has accelerated since he left Douglas and was put on a strength, speed and conditioning program at the collegiate level. It really is pretty amazing the transformation he has made physically. Yet he is still nimble and has increased his speed, range and arm strength defensively.

Love it. A true late bloomer success story developing here.

We head up March 4-6 and April 1-6 and I can't wait to see him play in person again. It's been a long time.
Awesome. That's great

My son made the state cut in 50 Fly! So blown away and was not expecting it! He needed 1.11 time drop and got 1.91. He is super pumped up and excited about it.... hoping that translates into him taking next season more seriously.

He narrowly missed 1st place at regionals in the 50 Fly in a close race. So he ended regionals with:

- 2nd place 50 Fly (Qualified for State)
- 3rd in 100 Fly
- 6th in 50 Free
- 7th in 100 Free

@Todem do all colleges in that area have "jv"?
Do they play same schedule? Is there jv playoffs? Can your son play both if he's brought up?

I knew bigger schools had this type of situation but I never heard of smaller D3 schools have in JV just usually like a club team.

It's pretty cool. He gets a chance to shine instead of just sitting around on the bench until he gets a chance

Do they play same schedule? Is there jv playoffs? Can your son play both if he's brought up?

I knew bigger schools had this type of situation but I never heard of smaller D3 schools have in JV just usually like a club team.

It's pretty cool. He gets a chance to shine instead of just sitting around on the bench until he gets a chance
I don't think JV teams are common for baseball. At least not in our recruiting journey. We haven't really looked at any D1 schools but at the D3, D2 level I think there there has only been one school we have run across that had a JV type squad.

I don't think JV teams are common for baseball. At least not in our recruiting journey. We haven't really looked at any D1 schools but at the D3, D2 level I think there there has only been one school we have run across that had a JV type squad.
Right but that's where Todem said his son played the first couple games and should be promoted soon. I was curious as that's "newish" to me ...

My son's school called it the 'reserve team'. I think it's basically the same as what you're talking about.

As far as I know, club ball is a completely separate animal from the varsity team; usually just a bunch of kids who played in HS and want to keep playing, and the team is run separate from the varsity. Doubtful that club kids get looked at by the varsity coach, especially at D1 and D2. A bunch of kids that my son played against in HS that all went to the U. of Md together made up the bulk of the club team the years they were there. Still pretty competitive and they have to do their own fundraising.

My son's school called it the 'reserve team'. I think it's basically the same as what you're talking about.

As far as I know, club ball is a completely separate animal from the varsity team; usually just a bunch of kids who played in HS and want to keep playing, and the team is run separate from the varsity. Doubtful that club kids get looked at by the varsity coach, especially at D1 and D2. A bunch of kids that my son played against in HS that all went to the U. of Md together made up the bulk of the club team the years they were there. Still pretty competitive and they have to do their own fundraising.
Yeah I played club ball for a couple years. It's against other colleges but is not affiliated at all with varsity

There are actually quite a few schools around the country that have a JV or Developmental squad and it is far more common on D2/D3 and NAIA teams.

Some coaches/programs like having a deeper pipeline and this is how they accomplish that.

With how active the transfer portal is becoming these days you may see more and more schools adopting a JV/Developmental squad.

As a freshman this is great for my son. He has already played 4 full games and has had 15 plate appearances.

He was told yesterday by two of his coaches he is going to start dressing for
Home varsity games and will get some varsity playing time but they want him playing in JV his entire freshman year to get consistent reps.

We also knew going in this coaching staff in their first two years there (this is their third year and second recruiting class) simply have not played Freshman much at all.

The kid is kicking *** and he loves how everything is going. His time is coming.....he just needs to keep doing what he is doing and everything will take care of itself. He feels great about where he is in the pecking order and is getting a ton of positive vibes from his coaches and teammates.

I am very happy there is a developmental sqaud there instead of him sitting around for year not seeing live action. It's a huge benefit.

@belljr they all practice as one team. As far as schedules they are different. The JV plays Juco's and D2 amd D3 JV squads. They see as good and sometimes even better arms on JV. It's highly competitive.

There are actually quite a few schools around the country that have a JV or Developmental squad and it is far more common on D2/D3 and NAIA teams.

Some coaches/programs like having a deeper pipeline and this is how they accomplish that.

With how active the transfer portal is becoming these days you may see more and more schools adopting a JV/Developmental squad.

As a freshman this is great for my son. He has already played 4 full games and has had 15 plate appearances.

He was told yesterday by two of his coaches he is going to start dressing for
Home varsity games and will get some varsity playing time but they want him playing in JV his entire freshman year to get consistent reps.

We also knew going in this coaching staff in their first two years there (this is their third year and second recruiting class) simply have not played Freshman much at all.

The kid is kicking *** and he loves how everything is going. His time is coming.....he just needs to keep doing what he is doing and everything will take care of itself. He feels great about where he is in the pecking order and is getting a ton of positive vibes from his coaches and teammates.

I am very happy there is a developmental sqaud there instead of him sitting around for year not seeing live action. It's a huge benefit.

@belljr they all practice as one team. As far as schedules they are different. The JV plays Juco's and D2 amd D3 JV squads. They see as good and sometimes even better arms on JV. It's highly competitive.
Awesome.

Can't wait for more highlights

2nd Pitching Start of the year:

• 7 IP, 6 H, 1 BB, 1 HBP, 8 K, 2R (1 ER), CG, W, 104 pitches
  • 1-3 with a 2B

He wasn't sharp but the other team wasn't very good. Got stronger as the game went on and probably had his highest velocity (mid 80's) in the last inning. Change Up wasn't sharp but threw a few really good ones including a full count change to a right hander that just ate him up as it cut in on the hands and just dropped below the swing. 2-Seamer was running well. Defense behind him wasn't great (4 errors) that cost him probably 10-15 pitches.

Offensively he hit the ball hard all three times. Line out to CF, Line out to RF and his double was in the left center gap that one hopped the fence.

Season Stats:
  • Pitching: 2-0, 0.38 ERA, 0.44 WHIP, 18 IP, 6 H, 1 BB, 25K, 1 HPB. 2 R (1 ER), 2 CG, No Hitter
  • Hitting: .353 (6-17)/.529 SLG/1.051 OPS, 6 R, 3 RBI, 3 2B, 1 SAC, 3 BB, 1 K, 3 HBP, 2 SB

The swim club had their annual banquet last night which they give awards. My son was awarded the MVS (Most Valuable Swimmer) for 9-10 Boys.

Oh and we won our semi-final with his basketball team before we headed to the banquet. So next weekend.... basketball final on Sat and State championship meet on Sunday for 50 Fly.

I've talked about my 10 year old who is a very good climber (bouldering). He just got promoted to senior team which is made up of mostly 14-16 year olds (my 12 year old is also on this team and was the youngest until my 10 year old joined). My 12 year old is a very good climber, but the 10 year old is special. Not an exaggeration, he is the best 10 year old in the state of Minnesota. And the thing is he has only been climbing since September.

I've talked about my 10 year old who is a very good climber (bouldering). He just got promoted to senior team which is made up of mostly 14-16 year olds (my 12 year old is also on this team and was the youngest until my 10 year old joined). My 12 year old is a very good climber, but the 10 year old is special. Not an exaggeration, he is the best 10 year old in the state of Minnesota. And the thing is he has only been climbing since September.
Wow. What makes him so good?

Wow. What makes him so good?
The genes he got from me :)

Good attitude, patience, not getting down on himself when he fails, smart, kind, strong as **** but skinny and flexible, really enjoys climbing

Champions!

The championship game was today for my sons 5th grade basketball. It was a tough match-up for us. We hadn't seen this team since last year and they had one new player that presented a problem as he was tall and athletic. I couldn't put my big guy on him because he wouldn't be able to keep up with him and would be torched. I put my son, who is my best defender on him but I went into the game wanting him on their shooting guard who is their best scorer. I put my 2 guard on him instead who did decently well though he did score most of their points. My son shut down their big guy and out rebounded him.

The game started off bad as we went into a 0-6 deficit pretty quick. We got things slowly going better and was down by 2 into half. One of my boys hit a 3 and then we started pushing the ball harder on transition and we pulled up ahead. Ended the game winning by 5.

That is one league championship and two tournament championships for this team this year.

My son had a great year. My go to defender on everyone from small quick guards to their big guy....whoever was their biggest offensive threat he would end up on them usually and most often shut them down. He is also our second highest rebounder.

@Chadstroma I know we don't always quote/reply to you a ton in here but just want to say I always enjoy reading your game posts and the joy you take in it. I look forward to youth sports coaching, especially basketball, when my little guy makes it to those ages.
Thanks, I appreciate that, I post more for myself than anything else. It is more than just sharing about my kid, it is really kind of like a diary. It helps me collect my thoughts on things and then record it. I fully expect some point years from now going through this thread and others related to sports and my kids and rereading my posts. That being said, it is cool that someone gets enjoyment out of it. I love reading about others kids and what they are doing in whatever sports they are doing. If you are not all consuming focused on yourself or your own kids there is so much enjoyment and positivity that you can get out of celebrating other kids achievements. It is such a magical age as kids as they begin sports and most end around HS. I refuse to take any second of it for granted.

My son can officially say that he is the 40th fastest 50 Flyer in the entire state of Illinois.

He actually came in at the 33rd seed but added some time on his event. Regardless, that is phenomenal considering he didn't practice at all this last week and had basically 1 practice in the last two weeks...... and over the entire season missed way more practices than he attended.

He has all of next season, at least until State (not sure about Nationals) before he ages out of 10U. I have been trying to pump him up about working hard next season to gain more regional and state cuts. Unless something really awry happens... he should have 8 events to make regionals in (he had 4 this year and the other 4 he was very close to making the cuts) and if he really takes practice seriously (not much in the way of conflicts) who knows how many state cuts. We threw out Nationals to him to try to get him to think stretch goals and work harder. He seemed pretty jazzed about making state and swimming well there. So, we shall see.

Likely my last post in here for a little bit. We get a bit of a break before school soccer starts (which is totally laid back and actually co-ed this year because they couldn't field enough boy/girl teams to have a league) and swim has a break for a few weeks. My daughter has club vball still but it is hard for her to get any individual achievements out of it and her team isn't all that good this year but who knows what happens.

Welp little belljr college career started this week in Florida..... She said she's been struggling with hitting a bit.

So they played 6 games. She's only played about 4 innings total. Got 2 AB and PR twice.

She has an uphill battle because she's battling 3 seniors and 2 juniors for playing time (she plays MI and any OF). She looked horrible her second AB so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. The 4 other freshman got more ABs and playing time but 3 of them are pitchers catchers and the other 1B so it's apples to oranges. Just feel bad for her, I know she was super excited for the season to start. I know she has to pay her dues and really outperform girls in front of her but right now I think she is low end of the pecking order except for PR.

Still super proud but shes not used to not playing and I hope she does not get discouraged. I told her to talk with the coach after hitting on Friday, not about playing time but how to get her practice reps to translate to game.

Still have 36 games left but was a tad "disappointed" to start :(

But it's in her hands and I can only guide her, I don't think she's putting in extra reps or talking with the coach because of high stressed/anxiety, introvert

Looking forward to the season overall but not going to lie not going how I anticipated

Last edited:
My son started his first two Varsity games at SS in a double header yesterday!!! The excitement was unreal.

He had a solid debut!! Going a combined 2/6 with a RBI, BB, SB, R
4 assists
3 PO
2 DP

His very first AB he smoked a first pitch line drive single to RF.

He made a few beautiful plays including a 6-4 DP where he threw a seed as well as a charging a slow roller and throwing a laser to nail the batter.

In the second game in the last inning he came up in a 7-7 tie with a man on 3rd. First pitch he absolutely drilled a line drive to LF but being the winning run was at 3rd the LF was playing half way in. Any other time it's an easy rbi single. Half the dug out ran out on contact thinking it was over because of how hard the ball came off the bat.

I leaped outta my chair at home while watching it and screamed "walk off"!!!!! As I was sure he ended the game. My wife bless her heart screamed "they caught it they caught it"!!!

Lol

But his teammate and partner up the middle at 2B picked him up by slapping a single to win it right after him.

He is the only freshman position player to start a varsity game this season. And the fact he started two straight at SS???? That is a clear message of how they think of him.

We could not be prouder. His hard work is truly paying off. They have their first conference series Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I have no idea how much or little he will play in that series. But I am savoring yesterday as a sign of things to come over the course of his college career.

Still super proud but shes not used to not playing and I hope she does not get discouraged. I told her to talk with the coach after hitting on Friday, not about playing time but how to get her practice reps to translate to game.
This is a tough transition for sure. It seems like it will be much tougher for her because of her introvert/anxiety situation. One thing I think a lot of current generation players lack is the appreciation of "team" and that being a sub/bench player is immensely valuable to a winning team culture. Pushing starters and staying tuned into the game is important for team culture. I have seen way too many kids in our area quit playing because they aren't starters. It really hurts the team because the starters getting lazy with nobody pushing them and if you get an injury or two it really hurts. I am not saying lil belljr has this type of attitude but I have seen that just being part of the team isn't good enough for many kids these days.

As a freshman she has the opportunity to earn the time by staying positive, working hard, talking with the coach to see how/what she needs to improve on and any good coach will respect that approach and get opportunities to her is she is doing the right things. I am sure I am preaching to the choir here. But as you said, she will need to overcome her anxiety in order to have those conversations. The bottom line is if she stays positive for the team and works hard she will eventually get her chance.....then she needs to capitalize on those chances.

Yep, if she didn't have the anxiety she would stand out. But with it she let maybe a less talented player with outgoing personality "takeover" and she would fade into the background. Don't get me wrong she's a 1000 times better after therapy and she has the physical tools and she definitely wants to win and do well but she's too laid back go with the flow because it brings her stress to the surface.

Listen I didn't think she would be a starter out of the gate or anything like that but I thought she would have earned a little more time.

In the end I want her to stick it out for the next 4 regardless of playing or not

Since there are a lot of baseball/softball fathers in here.... I am going to throw this out....

I was chatting with a realtor and he mentioned his son plays baseball and football. Naturally we talked about it. Apparently he is really good at both. He had his first HS game and I asked how he did at the plate. The response was "Actually had a rough day at the plate, 3 outs, but he isn't used to the lesser pitching, he was out in front in all his AB's, he plays at a much higher level in travel ball." that felt like an odd thing to me... I mean, if he is that good, shouldn't he be able to adjust to the lesser pitching?

I stopped playing baseball in 9th grade after having Jeff Weaver on my team and kids throwing real curve balls and I was like "yea.... I am not on this level." so I am not going to act like I know. Just curious as to what other thoughts were on this and didn't want to start another thread on it.

Since there are a lot of baseball/softball fathers in here.... I am going to throw this out....

I was chatting with a realtor and he mentioned his son plays baseball and football. Naturally we talked about it. Apparently he is really good at both. He had his first HS game and I asked how he did at the plate. The response was "Actually had a rough day at the plate, 3 outs, but he isn't used to the lesser pitching, he was out in front in all his AB's, he plays at a much higher level in travel ball." that felt like an odd thing to me... I mean, if he is that good, shouldn't he be able to adjust to the lesser pitching?

I stopped playing baseball in 9th grade after having Jeff Weaver on my team and kids throwing real curve balls and I was like "yea.... I am not on this level." so I am not going to act like I know. Just curious as to what other thoughts were on this and didn't want to start another thread on it.
That's a typical "dad" excuse.

A skilled hitter knows how to adjust to any kind of pitching.

He better not put that in his kids head or he will ruin his baseball career.

It's *********.

It's *********.
Yes and no.

It is an adjustment but better hitters will make that adjustment. It can be used as an excuse if you let it be. Regardless it is an adjustment. If that kid continues to not adjust AB after AB he is not doing what he needs to be doing to get better. There is all kinds of pitching out there and if he cannot make the adjustment other teams will figure that out and he will only see the "lesser" pitching if he can't hit it.

I know my son hits better against better pitching (better meaning faster) and at the HS level there sometimes is a big range of velocities/and off speed quality team to team. But usually after an AB he can adjust and do better but it does frustrate him at times. Some of the pitching we face is very bad......which challenges the hitter to be patient and wait on things. Good hitters at the HS level sometimes struggle with that. The better hitters will stay patient and let it come to them.

So, my son's 16u baseball team held a tryout with Jim Parque (MLB pitcher, White Sox 6 years) for Team USA for the LABC tournament in the Dominican Republic. My son was offered a spot for next season's tournament (2025). He plays up at 16u, still being 15. The guy seemed to know his stuff and noticed right away when my 6'4" 15 year old son stood head and shoulders above every other 15 year old kid there. So, he gets the offer and is very excited. My scammy-sensors started ringing so I started digging into this guy, his company (Big League Edge, Washington) and the LABC. It all seems legit, but I just wonder how much return he will get, exposure-wise, for 1 week of baseball in the D.R. for about 4 grand versus putting that money towards extra training and/or college camps. Anybody else have any similar experiences?

It's *********.
Yes and no.

It is an adjustment but better hitters will make that adjustment. It can be used as an excuse if you let it be. Regardless it is an adjustment. If that kid continues to not adjust AB after AB he is not doing what he needs to be doing to get better. There is all kinds of pitching out there and if he cannot make the adjustment other teams will figure that out and he will only see the "lesser" pitching if he can't hit it.

I know my son hits better against better pitching (better meaning faster) and at the HS level there sometimes is a big range of velocities/and off speed quality team to team. But usually after an AB he can adjust and do better but it does frustrate him at times. Some of the pitching we face is very bad......which challenges the hitter to be patient and wait on things. Good hitters at the HS level sometimes struggle with that. The better hitters will stay patient and let it come to them.
Perfectly said.

I just dislike parents giving that excuse. As a former baseball coach thru the high school level.....it's a terrible thing to be feeding your kid.

"Oh you are a much better player than this pitching you're seeing"

No it does not work that way. Your "approach" as a hitter will define your career long term.

Like you said when you see weaker pitching....you need to adjust to the lower velocity and also be very patient.

If hitters at the high school level do not do this they will be eaten alive at the collegiate level. Period.

My son is used to seeing 87-92 in high school as he played so many elite teams and faced his own D1 power 5 recruits in Intrasquads every week in the fall and early spring. Also of course in the high school showcase summer ball circuit.

But now he is in college and the average fast ball at D2 and D3 is between 83-87 you will run into some low 90's guys but it is not Power 5 type pitching where every kid is a low to mid 90's guy. Which btw once you see that enough you can hit it.

It's when it gets to 96-100 and they are throwing sinkers with that kind of velo....LOL!!! Some people truly do not realize how difficult hitting a baseball is at the highest levels.

There is a reason there are about 500 position players in the world and 30 DH's who play in The Show.

Last edited:
So, my son's 16u baseball team held a tryout with Jim Parque (MLB pitcher, White Sox 6 years) for Team USA for the LABC tournament in the Dominican Republic. My son was offered a spot for next season's tournament (2025). He plays up at 16u, still being 15. The guy seemed to know his stuff and noticed right away when my 6'4" 15 year old son stood head and shoulders above every other 15 year old kid there. So, he gets the offer and is very excited. My scammy-sensors started ringing so I started digging into this guy, his company (Big League Edge, Washington) and the LABC. It all seems legit, but I just wonder how much return he will get, exposure-wise, for 1 week of baseball in the D.R. for about 4 grand versus putting that money towards extra training and/or college camps. Anybody else have any similar experiences?
So as you know my son is playing college ball and has been offered several times in his life to go to the DR and play.

More recently he was offered to play on a very good summer collegiate team for this summer and that includes a trip to the DR for 15 days and is also a mission trip. So not only will they play ball there, they will be giving back to the DR community. He is not going to do that as he has not had a summer off from baseball...literally since 8 years old. This summer he is getting a part time job, training in the gym and getting his work in cages and on the field with me. Arm is shut down for 6 weeks.

Look it's not even so much about the actual baseball. When it comes to those kind of trips. It is the total experience of going to a foreign country, seeing how these kids live, doing some mission work, playing ball, making new friends.

It's simply about the life experience.

He is 15 and 6'4. Don't worry too much about extra training at this very moment. He has such an advantage being huge at a young age. He will get more than enough looks for college recruiting in due time.

This sounds like a fun experience and it can ground your son even more on how to be a good man.

First time through it definitely is challenging but as mentioned good players will adjust.

I will say though for softball if you go from a 60mph pitcher then some girl that throws 45 with a slight arc it is challenging for a bit lol ..

In baseball a 90mph vs a 75 lol.

When we played really good teams that were above us after one or 2 time through our good pitcher, every once in a while we'd throw our BP #4 who threw 20mph slower. Shed usually get us through an inning 😂

So as you know my son is playing college ball and has been offered several times in his life to go to the DR and play.

More recently he was offered to play on a very good summer collegiate team for this summer and that includes a trip to the DR for 15 days and is also a mission trip. So not only will they play ball there, they will be giving back to the DR community. He is not going to do that as he has not had a summer off from baseball...literally since 8 years old. This summer he is getting a part time job, training in the gym and getting his work in cages and on the field with me. Arm is shut down for 6 weeks.

Look it's not even so much about the actual baseball. When it comes to those kind of trips. It is the total experience of going to a foreign country, seeing how these kids live, doing some mission work, playing ball, making new friends.

He is 15 and 6'4. Don't worry too much about extra training at this very moment. He has such an advantage being huge at a young age. He will get more tuan enough looks for college recruiting in due time.

This sounds like a fun experience and it can ground your son even more on how to be a good man.
Agree if you go in as it's an experience instead of a will my kid get recruited you will probably be upset with the latter

I was going to say the exact same thing. Baseball isn't the main take away for this type of thing. I will also so, these things can be money grabs and aren't necessary for being recruited. Do your due diligence to check out the organization. I have had kids I coached get invited for these tournaments all over the country where they tryout and get selected and pay big money to play for a week in Florida, Arizona, etc. I am always shocked at some of these guys getting invites as they aren't elite players but the organization or tournament sounds like it is for the elite players. You have to be very careful on these as you won't get the bang for your buck.

Update on the year. We had a couple rainouts and cancellations to a double booking (what the hell) so yesterday was my son's first pitching start in a few games. It was the second league game (both teams came in 1-0 in league and we were 7-1 and they were 7-2 overall). It's the team we were co-champs with last year. First inning started out with a K following by two infield singles. One the 2B just played into a hit and the other temporarily saved a run. Two infield ground outs ended the inning with one run in. It was unearned because of an error on a pickoff (1B tried to tag too soon and missed the ball - guy would have been out by 2 feet as he guessed wrong). We came back to tie it in the bottom of the first on a 1 out double by my son (helping himself). Next inning he gave up an 0-2 hit on a fastball he through right down the middle (missed his spot). After that they didn't get another hit. He ended up going 3-4 with 2 runs and 2 RBI's and we won in 6 inning by mercy rule 11-1. Final pitching stat line: 6 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 10 K, 1 R (0 ER), CG, 81 pitches. Hitting line: 3-4, 2 R, 2 RBI, 2B

Year to Date:
  • Pitching: 3-0, 0.28 ERA (25 IP, 1 ER), 9 H, 36 K, 2 BB, 3 CG, No Hitter
  • Hitting: .367 (11-30), 10 R, 6 RBI, 4 2B, 4 BB, 1 K, 3 HBP, 3 SB, .474 OBP, 1.750 OPS

Next outing:

Team is still rolling at 10-1 and is in first place in league at 4-0. The last two games have been tight including a 4-2 win in 8 innings. We started behind 2-0 and chipped away with a run in the 4th and another in the 6th to tie it up and send it to extras. Then scored 2 in the 8th to hold on for the win. My son went 1-5 but got robbed on two hard hit balls. One in the 8th on a full layout diving play in the right-center gap that was just an outstanding play. He didn't pitch this game but the starter went 7 and only made one mistake that led to a 2 run homer that accounted for all of the other teams runs. Great team win.

My son pitched yesterday and it started out a bit shaky. Struck out the first guy followed by a ground ball to 3B that was bobbled and then thrown down the right field line. Next batter stayed on a 1-2 change (it was a decent change but not his usual drop as it stayed up) and did a great job just serving it to the OF for a hit. Next batter stayed on an 0-2 curve that got too much of the plate for another soft liner to the OF to score the first run. The RF bobbled it to led all runners advance making it 2nd and 3rd. Next guy with a weak ground out to 2nd to score the second run and then a pop out to LF to end the inning. 27 pitch first inning. Ugh. Two unearned runs.

Third Inning they get a lead off triple. Just crushed a FB to CF on the first pitch. He was able to work out of the inning with only allowing the lead off triple to score on a ground out. Offensively we went 9 up and 9 out as their pitcher was dealing. Headed to the 4th down 3-0 in what seemed like took only 20 minutes to get through 3 innings.

Unfortunately for the other team, their pitcher was coming off injury and was on a tight pitch count. He left after 3 IP and 41 pitches. He was solid and pounded the inside half of the zone with good movement. I think we would have gotten to him the 2nd time through the lineup but it was a big lift to the team when they pulled him. We proceeded to load the bases and then cleared them with a double to tie the game. My son was up 2nd that inning and got the first hit of the game and scored on the double. New ball game.

At this point my son was settled in and rolling pretty good. Bottom 5th inning their pitching fell apart. 3 walks followed by three hits and then 3 more walks and we put up a 6 spot to take control. Final was 9-3. On the mound he went 7 IP, 5 H, 0 BB, 2 HBP, 10 K, 3 R (1 ER), CG, W, 100 pitches. At the plate 2-4, 2 R, 1 RBI

Season to date:
  • Pitching: 4-0, 0.44 ERA (32 IP, 2 ER), 14 H, 46 K, 2 BB, 3 HBP, 4 CG, No Hitter, 1 Shutout
  • Hitting: .359 (14-39), 12 R, 7 RBI, 4 2B, 4 BB, 2 K, 3 HBP, 3 SB, .447 OBP, 0.909 OPS

I guess there aren't too many kids playing baseball these days.

Next outing:

Team is in a spring break tourney and had their first game yesterday against a team from Arizona. The other team came in at 10-4 and according to Max Preps are the 53rd ranked team in Arizona (for whatever that is worth). Our team came in at 11-1 and ranked #53 in California (for whatever that is worth).

My son started strong by striking out the first six batters of the game. He continued with a no hitter into the 4th. He got the first two guys out in the 4th on 2 pitches and their coach called time to talk to the batter for a couple minutes. A bit of gamesmanship to try and disrupt the flow. Everyone figured he was telling the guy to take a pitch so my son decided to just pipe one to get ahead and the guy promptly lined a single to center. That ended up being the only hit of the game. All in all he allowed three balls hit to the outfield (two fly ball outs and that single). He had 12 strikeouts and 1 BB (lead off guy in the 7th on a full count CB right down the middle that the ump called a ball. There coach even confirmed after the game it was strike three and they got lucky). He ended with 111 pitches (too many strikeouts drove up his pitch count).

Offensively he ended up 1-2 with a BB, SB, and scored the only run of the game. The only run came in the bottom of the 6th. He got on base by error (rolled over on a CB and the SS threw it away). Stole second base and then scored on a single to RF. We ended up with a total of 4 hits and they had 1. Each team had 4 errors so each team had chances.

Final line was 7 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 12 K, 0 R, CG, W, 111 pitches. At the plate 1-2, BB, SB, R. Final score 1-0

Season to date:
  • Pitching: 5-0, 0.36 ERA (39 IP, 7R/2ER), 15 H, 3 BB, 58 K, 3 HBP, 5 CG, 2 Shut outs, No hitter
  • Hitting: .349 (15-43), 13 R, 7 RBI, 4 2B, 6 BB, 2 K, 3 HBP, 4 SB, .453 OBP, 0.895 OPS

My son has his first little league baseball game of the season. Hopefully he's more confident swinging the bat this year than last. He's playing in the minors division with mostly younger kids. Most of his soccer teammates are playing in majors. He's doesn't seem to mind though and he thinks he'll get more PT this way. He turns 11 in May.

As for soccer, the fledgling club has its first "tryouts" at the end of this month. They've been having weekly 1.5 hour practice through since Jan with about 45 mins of conditioning.

The coaches know that we are moving to Europe at the end of the summer and thankfully have allowed my son to continue to practice and train with them.

I have been staying out of these threads because I have been super frustrated after last years high school coach debacle with son.

Anyway, I felt like posting an update for my own good. Luke is at URI. His grades are improving and he is taking hard math and computer science. He's working super hard and it's starting to show. He seems happy about it. Since he got burned bad by his coach last year, he has turned into a total gym rat and only seems to care about lifting and looking good. I still hold out hope that he will get the fire to play real soccer again, but I'm starting to doubt it.

He captains two intermural teams in futsal and outdoor soccer, and he's having fun dominating that. They won the title in futsal of course. He said he may play club soccer in the fall as he's way better than everyone, (most also play intermurals). He's in the best shape of his life at 18 (6'2-180 solid muscle), and still getting touches luckily.

I guess I should be happy about this but I'm not. I keep trying to nudge him into the walk on tryouts the URI coach has but he doesn't want to hear it. They would rather take upperclassman and transfers in 2024 than incoming freshman so there is still time. We worked so hard over the years getting him to this point, and now he's just not interested in finishing it. It's not even a question if he's good enough and that's what kills me. I know he's gonna regret it some day. And I'm gonna have a hard time watching him with his kids going through it. He's still so mentally damaged from that high school A-Holz and I don't know what to do. We don't put any pressure on him and basically give him whatever he needs at school since he's grades are good.

He's super afraid of the unknown when it comes to everything.
I offered him a few hundred bucks to go to the mid April one day tryout. I even told him I would buy him any car under 50k if he pulled a scholarship anywhere. He said no way.

Be the squeaky wheel when it comes to your kids, especially when it comes to school teams. I have coached almost all levels and ran organizations. I never saw this coming. We did everything right, and found a star. Only to have a crap coach ruin him. Rant over. Grr.

Be the squeaky wheel when it comes to your kids, especially when it comes to school teams. I have coached almost all levels and ran organizations. I never saw this coming. We did everything right, and found a star. Only to have a crap coach ruin him. Rant over. Grr.
I am so torn on this approach. I have been on both sides of this. I coached varsity high school for 15 years. Had plenty of parents be the squeaky wheel and generally it isn't a good interaction because the parents are typically (and rightfully so) too emotional when it comes to their kids well being. The problem is many times (not all) the kid isn't working hard or has some other thing holding them back that the parents just can't see. Now I am not saying it's this way 100% of the time but I would say it's close to 95% of the time.

From a coaches perspective it is always better for the kid to approach the coach and advocate for themselves. The coach can point out things the kid will know himself or give specific things for the kid to do to get more opportunity. Parents coming in complaining rarely have all the information to discuss the situation properly. As an example, I had one parent come to me complaining about their kids play time. The kid was "better" than other players playing over him when you talk about sheer playing ability. However, what the parent didn't see was how lazy, disrespectful, disruptive their kid was at practice. When I told the parent that he needed to see what his kid was like at practice to understand where I was coming from he decided to show up at the next practice. However, he sat in the middle of the bleachers for all to see. It was the best practice that kid had in all his years in the program. After practice the parent came up to me to discuss what he saw. I promptly invited him to come to all the practices because that was the best his kid had every been. I told him if he wanted to see what he was really like he needed to hide and not let his son know he was coming. I don't know if he ever came back to practice but the next day his kid was back to his usual shenanigans.

There are proper ways for a parent to approach a coach. I mean you do need to help your kid where you can but part of that is helping your kid understand how to advocate for themselves. If a kid goes to a coach first and still doesn't understand why he isn't playing or what the coach is conveying then the parent should schedule a meeting with the coach and player together. Not afrer a game out of the blue. Actually schedule an appointment. But be ready to hear some things you may not believe about your kid. And bring an open mind to accept these things. The point of the meeting is to outline a path for your kid to earn more playing time, starting spot, etc. Then stay on your kid to do those things.

Now, there are bad coaches and sometimes kids do get screwed. Sounds like that is your situation. In those cases it is very frustrating and very difficult to deal with. You still need to follow the proper path of kid first, then parent/kid/coach meeting. If that still doesn't do it and you as a parent have given it an unbiased look then it is time to go to the athletic director for a sit down with the coach, AD, kid, and parent. This generally won't do much though as the AD is typically going to side with the coach (as they should most of the time) but if there is merit and you have a good AD the coach will be reprimanded and there should be changes. Sucks for you and your kid for sure. But that is the process.

There are bad coaches and it's unfortunate when it hurts you. I feel so bad for your situation. It is so terrible because the time is short and it goes by so quick. Once it's lost you can't get it back. Just heartbreaking.

Right or wrong, my takeaway from squeaky wheel in the OP was towards my kid and not leaving anything unsaid or done with them, not the coach.

I am so torn on this approach. I have been on both sides of this. I coached varsity high school for 15 years. Had plenty of parents be the squeaky wheel and generally it isn't a good interaction because the parents are typically (and rightfully so) too emotional when it comes to their kids well being. The problem is many times (not all) the kid isn't working hard or has some other thing holding them back that the parents just can't see. Now I am not saying it's this way 100% of the time but I would say it's close to 95% of the time.

From a coaches perspective it is always better for the kid to approach the coach and advocate for themselves. The coach can point out things the kid will know himself or give specific things for the kid to do to get more opportunity. Parents coming in complaining rarely have all the information to discuss the situation properly. As an example, I had one parent come to me complaining about their kids play time. The kid was "better" than other players playing over him when you talk about sheer playing ability. However, what the parent didn't see was how lazy, disrespectful, disruptive their kid was at practice. When I told the parent that he needed to see what his kid was like at practice to understand where I was coming from he decided to show up at the next practice. However, he sat in the middle of the bleachers for all to see. It was the best practice that kid had in all his years in the program. After practice the parent came up to me to discuss what he saw. I promptly invited him to come to all the practices because that was the best his kid had every been. I told him if he wanted to see what he was really like he needed to hide and not let his son know he was coming. I don't know if he ever came back to practice but the next day his kid was back to his usual shenanigans.

There are proper ways for a parent to approach a coach. I mean you do need to help your kid where you can but part of that is helping your kid understand how to advocate for themselves. If a kid goes to a coach first and still doesn't understand why he isn't playing or what the coach is conveying then the parent should schedule a meeting with the coach and player together. Not afrer a game out of the blue. Actually schedule an appointment. But be ready to hear some things you may not believe about your kid. And bring an open mind to accept these things. The point of the meeting is to outline a path for your kid to earn more playing time, starting spot, etc. Then stay on your kid to do those things.

Now, there are bad coaches and sometimes kids do get screwed. Sounds like that is your situation. In those cases it is very frustrating and very difficult to deal with. You still need to follow the proper path of kid first, then parent/kid/coach meeting. If that still doesn't do it and you as a parent have given it an unbiased look then it is time to go to the athletic director for a sit down with the coach, AD, kid, and parent. This generally won't do much though as the AD is typically going to side with the coach (as they should most of the time) but if there is merit and you have a good AD the coach will be reprimanded and there should be changes. Sucks for you and your kid for sure. But that is the process.

There are bad coaches and it's unfortunate when it hurts you. I feel so bad for your situation. It is so terrible because the time is short and it goes by so quick. Once it's lost you can't get it back. Just heartbreaking.
In our area things are always weird, politics, and nepotism. My son's case didn't have anything to do with him personally. I was actually the middle school coach for a few years. One of my former employees (club progrqm I ran) became coach out of nowhere, and made it his job to screw over my son and all the seniors. I hate to say it, but I think it all stemmed from me firing his buddy for never showing up to sessions and practices years before. Then add in the usual squeaky wheel underclassmen parents and their own issues and my son went from captain of thirteen seniors and favorites to win it all with the old coach, to benched and part time player watching freshman lose with the new guy. It was a huge mess.

There is more to it from the old coach/other cray parents side I dont want to post on the internet that indirectly hurt the kids. The old coach was very fair and some people dont want fair. I never said a word on my and my son's situation, and I regret it huge now. I should have set fire to the whole thing and maybe even lawyered up with the bullying and what not that also went down. My son randomly played heavy minutes and scored a hat trick one game early in the season. He didn't get off the bench the next. The guy barely played the seniors on SENIOR night. He gave another kid fake goals on the stats so he could make him all state. The kids called him out in the chat and he just ghosted everyone. It was unbelievable if you didn't witness it. Pure spite all year and so sad for the seniors. He was also taking "donations" from underclassmen parents for training. Ironically all those kids played alot, no matter how bad they were.

Last edited:
Right or wrong, my takeaway from squeaky wheel in the OP was towards my kid and not leaving anything unsaid or done with them, not the coach.
I meant advocate for your kid at all costs. Nobody really listens to them anyway at a certain point. Don't let anyone screw them over. Especially using bad excuses. I have been a coach for almost thirty years now. My biggest takeaway is how many awful coaches and bad refs there are in all levels of sports. For the money involved its pretty inexcusable imo. Schools ironically pay terrible, so it's totally hit or miss there imo.

Last edited:
Then add in the usual squeaky wheel underclassmen parents and their own issues and my son went from captain of thirteen seniors and favorites to win it all with the old coach, to benched and part time player watching freshman lose with the new guy. It was a huge mess.
Wow, that sounds like a complete embarrassment for the school. Absolutely terrible and in many of those cases there isn't really anything you could have done.

I know some coaches philosophy is to cater to younger players because they have more time with them especially when they are new coaches. They want to build their system and believe the younger players have more time and can start implementing it from there. It sounds like that wasn't the case here as you had a stacked team with upper classmen that had high expectations. Very unfair situation for sure.

Then add in the usual squeaky wheel underclassmen parents and their own issues and my son went from captain of thirteen seniors and favorites to win it all with the old coach, to benched and part time player watching freshman lose with the new guy. It was a huge mess.
Wow, that sounds like a complete embarrassment for the school. Absolutely terrible and in many of those cases there isn't really anything you could have done.

I know some coaches philosophy is to cater to younger players because they have more time with them especially when they are new coaches. They want to build their system and believe the younger players have more time and can start implementing it from there. It sounds like that wasn't the case here as you had a stacked team with upper classmen that had high expectations. Very unfair situation for sure.
Yeah, that's exactly it. But it was actually way worse than I can even communicate here. They were heavy favorites to win it all with the old coach. We had some of the best players in the history of the school,no exaggeration. I'm 18 months out on this and still so mad and frustrated. Partly because I'm probably the one guy who could have done something with my backround here. I just assumed the kids would move on and all play college and do well. Not one of them are even playing D3 he broke them so bad.

My son has his first little league baseball game of the season. Hopefully he's more confident swinging the bat this year than last. He's playing in the minors division with mostly younger kids. Most of his soccer teammates are playing in majors. He's doesn't seem to mind though and he thinks he'll get more PT this way. He turns 11 in May.
Memory tells me you started bribing him to swing the bat... is that continuing?

Users who are viewing this thread