What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Collectively, A Thread To Celebrate Our Kids Athletic Accomplishments (3 Viewers)

As for soccer, the fledgling club has its first "tryouts" at the end of this month. They've been having weekly 1.5 hour practice through since Jan with about 45 mins of conditioning.

The coaches know that we are moving to Europe at the end of the summer and thankfully have allowed my son to continue to practice and train with them.
You are moving to Europe?

My take on being a squeaky wheel...

In as much as coaches go, I try to be proactive and positive in interactions with the coaches. My kids are still young (1 Jr High and 2 primary school age) and most of their sports have been school related. I feel I am very blessed with the school in that for my daughter and middle son, we know most of the parents and the coaches. I have been able to develop relationships/friendships with them in ways maybe it is easier being at a private school and seeing some of the same parents for volleyball as you did basketball season for my daughter (for example). There is a lot of community already built into all of that so it makes it super easy. I have coached there as well, and I am proactive as a coach with my interactions with parents. In the three years I have coached, I have had zero issues come up with parents. Again, this is largely due to the different dynamics of being at a private school versus different organizations.

The two, now three, instances we have had has been club swim, club volleyball and now my youngest is doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. For swim, I have established and maintained good relationships with the coaches and board of directors. If you go and ask these people questions to learn things it goes a long way to building a good foundation. For me and swim, that was really easy as I was learning the sport myself. Just like everything, if you have a good relationship with someone then having a conversation is easy to do where you can express concerns or even advocate. I have taken the same approach with BJJ in just asking questions and learning- having good interactions with the coach that if for some reason down the road it is easier to have a conversation later because the relationship has been built.

I think it is hugely important but also such a hard thing to do 'right' in talking to your kids. First, I think all kids are different and heck, my kids will be different on different days. I am almost always at their sports stuff and if I am not, it is almost always because I am at one of the other kids events instead and can't be at two places at once. I try to ask questions of them a lot to get them talking. I will also ask "do you want my feedback?" or "do you want to know what I saw?" if I saw something that I wanted to point out. Sometimes they are open to it and sometimes they are not. If they are not then I don't press it. I don't "force" my kids to do anything but once they do do it, they need to stick with it until at least the established period (season or whatever). I have also highly encouraged my son to stick with swim when he wanted to take a season off. I pretty much told him "I am not going to force you but I think it would be a very poor decision... here is why...." he continues to excel at it even though it is his least favorite sport he does and I make sure he understands the benefits he has from the conditioning of swim that translate directly into the other sports. Kids are kids and they make very dumb decisions many times.... same as I did when I was a kid. So, you can't just let them make decisions as they will end up in the basement playing Fortnite 24/7 but at the same time you can't over ride them and make them do things that they really do not want to do.... eventually they will end it when they have the power to do so and it will be a weak point in your relationship with them.

I think over all, it is really all about balance in the relationships with coaches and your kids. Not easy to keep in balance for sure.

Be the squeaky wheel when it comes to your kids, especially when it comes to school teams. I have coached almost all levels and ran organizations. I never saw this coming. We did everything right, and found a star. Only to have a crap coach ruin him. Rant over. Grr.
I am so torn on this approach. I have been on both sides of this. I coached varsity high school for 15 years. Had plenty of parents be the squeaky wheel and generally it isn't a good interaction because the parents are typically (and rightfully so) too emotional when it comes to their kids well being. The problem is many times (not all) the kid isn't working hard or has some other thing holding them back that the parents just can't see. Now I am not saying it's this way 100% of the time but I would say it's close to 95% of the time.

From a coaches perspective it is always better for the kid to approach the coach and advocate for themselves. The coach can point out things the kid will know himself or give specific things for the kid to do to get more opportunity. Parents coming in complaining rarely have all the information to discuss the situation properly. As an example, I had one parent come to me complaining about their kids play time. The kid was "better" than other players playing over him when you talk about sheer playing ability. However, what the parent didn't see was how lazy, disrespectful, disruptive their kid was at practice. When I told the parent that he needed to see what his kid was like at practice to understand where I was coming from he decided to show up at the next practice. However, he sat in the middle of the bleachers for all to see. It was the best practice that kid had in all his years in the program. After practice the parent came up to me to discuss what he saw. I promptly invited him to come to all the practices because that was the best his kid had every been. I told him if he wanted to see what he was really like he needed to hide and not let his son know he was coming. I don't know if he ever came back to practice but the next day his kid was back to his usual shenanigans.

There are proper ways for a parent to approach a coach. I mean you do need to help your kid where you can but part of that is helping your kid understand how to advocate for themselves. If a kid goes to a coach first and still doesn't understand why he isn't playing or what the coach is conveying then the parent should schedule a meeting with the coach and player together. Not afrer a game out of the blue. Actually schedule an appointment. But be ready to hear some things you may not believe about your kid. And bring an open mind to accept these things. The point of the meeting is to outline a path for your kid to earn more playing time, starting spot, etc. Then stay on your kid to do those things.

Now, there are bad coaches and sometimes kids do get screwed. Sounds like that is your situation. In those cases it is very frustrating and very difficult to deal with. You still need to follow the proper path of kid first, then parent/kid/coach meeting. If that still doesn't do it and you as a parent have given it an unbiased look then it is time to go to the athletic director for a sit down with the coach, AD, kid, and parent. This generally won't do much though as the AD is typically going to side with the coach (as they should most of the time) but if there is merit and you have a good AD the coach will be reprimanded and there should be changes. Sucks for you and your kid for sure. But that is the process.

There are bad coaches and it's unfortunate when it hurts you. I feel so bad for your situation. It is so terrible because the time is short and it goes by so quick. Once it's lost you can't get it back. Just heartbreaking.
In our area things are always weird, politics, and nepotism. My son's case didn't have anything to do with him personally. I was actually the middle school coach for a few years. One of my former employees (club progrqm I ran) became coach out of nowhere, and made it his job to screw over my son and all the seniors. I hate to say it, but I think it all stemmed from me firing his buddy for never showing up to sessions and practices years before. Then add in the usual squeaky wheel underclassmen parents and their own issues and my son went from captain of thirteen seniors and favorites to win it all with the old coach, to benched and part time player watching freshman lose with the new guy. It was a huge mess.

There is more to it from the old coach/other cray parents side I dont want to post on the internet that indirectly hurt the kids. The old coach was very fair and some people dont want fair. I never said a word on my and my son's situation, and I regret it huge now. I should have set fire to the whole thing and maybe even lawyered up with the bullying and what not that also went down. My son randomly played heavy minutes and scored a hat trick one game early in the season. He didn't get off the bench the next. The guy barely played the seniors on SENIOR night. He gave another kid fake goals on the stats so he could make him all state. The kids called him out in the chat and he just ghosted everyone. It was unbelievable if you didn't witness it. Pure spite all year and so sad for the seniors. He was also taking "donations" from underclassmen parents for training. Ironically all those kids played alot, no matter how bad they were.
It's everywhere. Even on National Championship high school programs.

Since there are a lot of baseball/softball fathers in here.... I am going to throw this out....

I was chatting with a realtor and he mentioned his son plays baseball and football. Naturally we talked about it. Apparently he is really good at both. He had his first HS game and I asked how he did at the plate. The response was "Actually had a rough day at the plate, 3 outs, but he isn't used to the lesser pitching, he was out in front in all his AB's, he plays at a much higher level in travel ball." that felt like an odd thing to me... I mean, if he is that good, shouldn't he be able to adjust to the lesser pitching?

I stopped playing baseball in 9th grade after having Jeff Weaver on my team and kids throwing real curve balls and I was like "yea.... I am not on this level." so I am not going to act like I know. Just curious as to what other thoughts were on this and didn't want to start another thread on it.
That's a typical "dad" excuse.

A skilled hitter knows how to adjust to any kind of pitching.

He better not put that in his kids head or he will ruin his baseball career.

It's *********.
Yes and no.

It is an adjustment but better hitters will make that adjustment. It can be used as an excuse if you let it be. Regardless it is an adjustment. If that kid continues to not adjust AB after AB he is not doing what he needs to be doing to get better. There is all kinds of pitching out there and if he cannot make the adjustment other teams will figure that out and he will only see the "lesser" pitching if he can't hit it.

I know my son hits better against better pitching (better meaning faster) and at the HS level there sometimes is a big range of velocities/and off speed quality team to team. But usually after an AB he can adjust and do better but it does frustrate him at times. Some of the pitching we face is very bad......which challenges the hitter to be patient and wait on things. Good hitters at the HS level sometimes struggle with that. The better hitters will stay patient and let it come to them.

My son in law played college baseball in the BIG and was a 3 year starter, knows and loves the game. So he helps out as an unpaid assistant on a very good HS team. The team is used to playing pitching at least hitting 85 fastball, and some 90. They play a team that has a junk baller that fastball is around 70, bunch of slow curves, and after 5 innings they are winning 1-0 with 2 hits. All the players are complaining that they would rather face a hard thrower and they cant hit this junk. :)

Since there are a lot of baseball/softball fathers in here.... I am going to throw this out....

I was chatting with a realtor and he mentioned his son plays baseball and football. Naturally we talked about it. Apparently he is really good at both. He had his first HS game and I asked how he did at the plate. The response was "Actually had a rough day at the plate, 3 outs, but he isn't used to the lesser pitching, he was out in front in all his AB's, he plays at a much higher level in travel ball." that felt like an odd thing to me... I mean, if he is that good, shouldn't he be able to adjust to the lesser pitching?

I stopped playing baseball in 9th grade after having Jeff Weaver on my team and kids throwing real curve balls and I was like "yea.... I am not on this level." so I am not going to act like I know. Just curious as to what other thoughts were on this and didn't want to start another thread on it.
That's a typical "dad" excuse.

A skilled hitter knows how to adjust to any kind of pitching.

He better not put that in his kids head or he will ruin his baseball career.

It's *********.
Yes and no.

It is an adjustment but better hitters will make that adjustment. It can be used as an excuse if you let it be. Regardless it is an adjustment. If that kid continues to not adjust AB after AB he is not doing what he needs to be doing to get better. There is all kinds of pitching out there and if he cannot make the adjustment other teams will figure that out and he will only see the "lesser" pitching if he can't hit it.

I know my son hits better against better pitching (better meaning faster) and at the HS level there sometimes is a big range of velocities/and off speed quality team to team. But usually after an AB he can adjust and do better but it does frustrate him at times. Some of the pitching we face is very bad......which challenges the hitter to be patient and wait on things. Good hitters at the HS level sometimes struggle with that. The better hitters will stay patient and let it come to them.

My son in law played college baseball in the BIG and was a 3 year starter, knows and loves the game. So he helps out as an unpaid assistant on a very good HS team. The team is used to playing pitching at least hitting 85 fastball, and some 90. They play a team that has a junk baller that fastball is around 70, bunch of slow curves, and after 5 innings they are winning 1-0 with 2 hits. All the players are complaining that they would rather face a hard thrower and they cant hit this junk. :)
Like I said you have to be able to adjust.

My son regularly faced high 80's to mid 90's at his high school....and now in college same deal. But when you run into a guy like you described.....you gotta be able to stay back, let the ball come in deeper and go oppo taco. Forget trying to pull.

Last edited:
My son has his first little league baseball game of the season. Hopefully he's more confident swinging the bat this year than last. He's playing in the minors division with mostly younger kids. Most of his soccer teammates are playing in majors. He's doesn't seem to mind though and he thinks he'll get more PT this way. He turns 11 in May.
Memory tells me you started bribing him to swing the bat... is that continuing?
Nah, it was a one game thing. Got a double in his first at bat that game too He swung the bat from then on out. Finally figured out it was better to swing and try to hit the ball than to strike out looking.

As for soccer, the fledgling club has its first "tryouts" at the end of this month. They've been having weekly 1.5 hour practice through since Jan with about 45 mins of conditioning.

The coaches know that we are moving to Europe at the end of the summer and thankfully have allowed my son to continue to practice and train with them.
Yeah, Geneva.

Yeah, Geneva.
Woa! Big life change! Exciting! Should be tons of soccer opportunities there for Lil Z

‘Gump family - Congratulations! Your young player ——— has qualified and is invited to compete in the US Kids World Golf Championships 2024!’

If you need a "distant" uncle to play PM sent...

‘Gump family - Congratulations! Your young player ——— has qualified and is invited to compete in the US Kids World Golf Championships 2024!’

There is a Father-Son event leading in to it. I'm trying hard to keep my excitement level below his...unsuccessfully. We have 4 months for that to build to...and for me to hit the range.

There is a Father-Son event leading in to it. I'm trying hard to keep my excitement level below his...unsuccessfully. We have 4 months for that to build to...and for me to hit the range.
#4 might be better than #2. I said it!!!

12yo Floppinha still playing tennis... Kinda.

To get good, you have to play at least 4 days/week with at least a couple classes and/or private lessons.

She plays 1-2 week.

Most of that is out of her control. I can't afford enough classes or lessons, and there are literally no courts she can get to on her own to hit. And during the winter we have to go indoors where its too expensive to book courts for me. If this was any other sport we could just go to the school year across the street and work on stuff.

She did a partial week camo in FL over spring break and learned a ton. Got back here and back to no playing. We played both days over the weekend- 1st day she played awful utilizing nothing she learned in FL. 2nd day she did and played great. Went to pick her up at her midweek class last night and watched more than I could take... Back to awful and using nothing she learned. It was actually making me pissed- not the awful, but the not utilizing stuff shed just learned.

She has a couple UTR matches this weekend... First competitive matches ina while. Could go any which way, but I'm assuming awful.

The cost, time and energy associated with this sport in NYC has me about to pull the plug... Which sucks, because she's good at it- but only as good as the money allows.

She has a couple UTR matches this weekend... First competitive matches ina while. Could go any which way, but I'm assuming awful.
This is hard to watch.
1-4, 0-4, walked off the court crying and ready to quit the sport entirely because she doesn't win.

:sadbanana:

But at least she has another match. And my pep talk while waiting just now was met with all the ennuie a 12yo girl can possibly muster.

1-4, 0-4, walked off the court crying and ready to quit the sport entirely because she doesn't win.
This is so tough. I have never been in the tennis world and being in California it seems like there are a lot of free options for playing. I have no idea what the lessons or options are for getting instruction but it's sad it's so expensive for you. I am guessing tennis is a sport where you can only get so good on your own and then need some detailed coaching to get to the next level. That makes it doubly hard to get better.

This is hard to watch.

:sadbanana:

But at least she has another match. And my pep talk while waiting just now was met with all the ennuie a 12yo girl can possibly muster.
So sorry to hear that, Flop. Hope it gets better for her.

My son had spring break and the weekend off from his high school team so we were able to book a trip to watch the school he will play for next year in college. We hadn't seen them live (only streaming) to see what the quality of play was like and whether or not he thought he was on par with the level of play.

We were able to see three games over the weekend so got to see a variety of pitchers as the teams worked through their rotation. It's D2 and each team had a couple guys that could hit 90+ and then quite a few guys in the 83-87 range. After watching three games worth of play my son definitely has the stuff to compete at this level.

Being that it's in Colorado and the wind was gusting upwards of 65+ mph at times and blowing straight out (to left on Friday, and to right on Saturday) there were a total of 23 HR's in three games. It was pretty incredible to watch the wind affect the play. Talking with the coach after the games he said that was probably the worst conditions (with regards to wind/cold) that he has seen. It was crazy.

I thought he could compete today based on a few of the pitchers they rolled out there. His stuff is better (maybe they had off days?) and his ability to locate his pitches is critical in that environment. Any mistake was a homerun in that wind. There were a couple balls that were hit 15-20 feet foul over the screen that were pushed back into the field of play for outs. I had never seen wind affect batted balls like this before. Pretty incredible.

Bottom line Gally Jr was excited to have an opportunity and thinks he will be able to compete next year as a freshman based on what he saw.

Last edited:
This is so tough. I have never been in the tennis world and being in California it seems like there are a lot of free options for playing. I have no idea what the lessons or options are for getting instruction but it's sad it's so expensive for you. I am guessing tennis is a sport where you can only get so good on your own and then need some detailed coaching to get to the next level. That makes it doubly hard to get better.
Thanks. You nailed it.

It's a very technical sport, from the way to swing the racket, to footwork and everything in-between.

Being a good athlete helps a ton- and floppinha is a good athlete and she's a great learner- coaches love how she quickly pulls in what they're teaching. She's had enough classes and lessons over the years to have the basics. But the reality is that to get competitive and consistent it takes regular lessons and classes, court time to practice and match play, to tie everything together. And then rinse repeat so that all that technique becomes muscle memory. Reps reps reps.

Her play reflects her reality of playing 1-2x max per week- sometimes none- where nothing she learns gets a chance to get repeated enough to lock in. The only thing she's consistent at is being inconsistent. And it's hard for her, because she's naturally competitive. And hard for her to watch other kids in her 1 regular class who were all good to begin with at the start last Sept, but who all play 4-5x per week and who have all blown way past where she is.

Fwiw, she won her 2nd match 4-1, 4-2 and played well...so the end result was her wanting to play more instead of quit entirely.

Lol..UTR is a weird ranking system set up to match players of equal results/abilities based on previous matches. Age and gender don't figure...her losing match was against a grown man (who she really could/should've beat) and winning match against a 9yo boy, who looked better than her tbh.

Saturday was senior day for my son's lacrosse team :sadbanana: I knew how much it was going to mean to him so I cancelled a buddies golf trip to Monterey to play 2 premium courses and flew down to so cal to be there. It wasn't until we were walking across the field during the pre game ceremony that it hit me emotionally. Man I can't remember the last time in my life that I didn't have my kid's games as a part of it, quick math would put it at around the last 21 years.

I'm looking forward to Arizona at the end of the month for his college conference playoffs and hopefully the first real week of May for nationals out in round rock, tx.

Saturday was senior day for my son's lacrosse team :sadbanana: I knew how much it was going to mean to him so I cancelled a buddies golf trip to Monterey to play 2 premium courses and flew down to so cal to be there. It wasn't until we were walking across the field during the pre game ceremony that it hit me emotionally. Man I can't remember the last time in my life that I didn't have my kid's games as a part of it, quick math would put it at around the last 21 years.

I'm looking forward to Arizona at the end of the month for his college conference playoffs and hopefully the first real week of May for nationals out in round rock, tx.
I got up at 5am yesterday and drove my daughter an hour to her vball tournament. I didn't get home until 4:30 as of course their court/games were running late and the entire tournament had left by the time they STARTED their last game. :lmao:

We happen to have, luckily, two other girls from my daughters school on the club team so I hung out with one of the Dads as I know him pretty well (he has coached my daughter in basketball the last couple of years). He joked something along the lines of not exactly what you would want to do with your Sunday. I said that I enjoyed it....

I love watching my kids as I think most parents do... and I get having other things to do or want to do and how it can be tiresome, time consuming and cost so much money BUT the one thing I am very mindful of is that this is a season. This season's window will be open and then closed within a few short years. I know that when it is all done and over with, I will miss it and I will look back fondly on watching or being involved in all my kids sports. That mindfulness really makes me shrug off the negatives and just really enjoy this season now.

Heck, a couple of weekends ago, we had NOTHING for any sport for any of the kids... just that weekend felt odd to me. I almost had anxiety that I was missing something. It was nice to relax the whole weekend but that was a small glimpse into what you are going through now.

My son had spring break and the weekend off from his high school team so we were able to book a trip to watch the school he will play for next year in college. We hadn't seen them live (only streaming) to see what the quality of play was like and whether or not he thought he was on par with the level of play.

We were able to see three games over the weekend so got to see a variety of pitchers as the teams worked through their rotation. It's D2 and each team had a couple guys that could hit 90+ and then quite a few guys in the 83-87 range. After watching three games worth of play my son definitely has the stuff to compete at this level.

Being that it's in Colorado and the wind was gusting upwards of 65+ mph at times and blowing straight out (to left on Friday, and to right on Saturday) there were a total of 23 HR's in three games. It was pretty incredible to watch the wind affect the play. Talking with the coach after the games he said that was probably the worst conditions (with regards to wind/cold) that he has seen. It was crazy.

I thought he could compete today based on a few of the pitchers they rolled out there. His stuff is better (maybe they had off days?) and his ability to locate his pitches is critical in that environment. Any mistake was a homerun in that wind. There were a couple balls that were hit 15-20 feet foul over the screen that were pushed back into the field of play for outs. I had never seen wind affect batted balls like this before. Pretty incredible.

Bottom line Gally Jr was excited to have an opportunity and thinks he will be able to compete next year as a freshman based on what he saw.
Which school is he looking at? My neighbor's son is playing D2 ball in CO. He is a freshman and I think they are redshirting him this year.

Which school is he looking at? My neighbor's son is playing D2 ball in CO. He is a freshman and I think they are redshirting him this year.
University of Colorado at Colorado Springs (UCCS). I sent you a DM with more info.

We had a nice week in Raleigh watching my son play ball.

It was freaking cold the last two games on Thursday and Friday. Not used to that for this Florida dude. My wife had to go to the car at Friday nights game lol.

Anyway he faced a D1 Juco and two D2 supposed JV teams but they throw their Varsity pitchers....make no mistake.

He got a line drive single off a dude sitting 95.....topped out at 98. So why is a kid like that not in D1? Beats me. But he has seen guys at D3 sitting anywhere from 88-92. He had not seen this guy before.

I did not even know that they also played a D1 JV (Carolina University) to start their season when he went 3-4 with 4 RBI's and a triple and double. So he has seen a lot of very good pitching.

You are going to run into guys at every level. There are only so many spots for 7% of the entire high school baseball population so it makes sense.

He had a good week:

2/7
RBI
3 BB
Sac fly
SB
3 R
2 K

Flawless defensively with a few web gems to boot.

And had three lasers that found leather.

On two of his walks he worked them from being down 0-2.

He again dressed Varsity that weekend vs Nationally ranked NC Wesleyan but did not get in.

He has 3 JV games left as yesterday's double header was rained out (ironically it was a road trip vs D1 Carolina University in Mocksville).

He has a 4 game series starting tomorrow on Varsity. Hopefully he gets another start. His coaches talk to him often. Constant great feedback and how he is a huge part of the plan next season.....which is coach talk for be ready to play a lot. He has two seniors ahead of him for his Sophomore year at SS and 2B and his head coach has sent a message he is going to be a SS for this team. Personally I don't care if it's 2B or SS or OF (he has worked at CF for them as well) but he has a captain personality on this team and is getting a lot of respect from his teammates.

Summer is around the corner.

6 weeks of no throwing
Lifting 6 days a week
Hitting 5 days a week
Ground balls and fly balls 3 days a week.

No summer ball and we could no be happier about that.

He is finally having a summer of no travel/league/tourney play for the first time.....like ever. He has played every summer since 8 years old.

To date he is still the only Freshman position player to dress and play/start Varsity. Can't ask for a better message about your future at this school.

So his freshman numbers to date between JV and Varsity:

25 games

57 PA
48 AB
15 H
2 2B
2 3B
11 RBI
13 R
6 SB
9 BB
9 K
2 SAC

AVG - .313
OBP - .407
SLG - .438
OPS - .844

Last edited:
Next Outing: League resumed back up after Spring Break. There are 9 games remaining in the regular season where they play home & home series against each league team. This week starts with the 3rd place team and one where we beat them 6-2 the first time around. My son didn't start that game but came in to end it in the 7th with an 8 pitch, 3 up-3 down inning.

Yesterday was at home. His arm was feeling a little tired but his back was more of an issue as it was a bit tight. You could tell as he didn't have his normal pinpoint control. He ended up walking two batters (only had 3 walks total on the year coming into the game). The game was nip an tuck with us getting the lead in the bottom of the 1st 1-0. Top of the 2nd he gave up a lead off double (on a 2-1 hanging curve), a hit batter, then a 2-0 get me over curve that was hit to Left Center. The LF drifted with a banana route and let it drop. That scored a run and ended up a single because all the runners held up because it should/could have been caught. He worked his way out with a couple weak contact outs. We then took the lead 3-1 and they promptly added a run to close it to 3-2. It was obvious to me that the other teams's approach was to sit off speed as they were attacking all breaking balls even in FB counts. Seems the book is out that he likes to go with breaking stuff when behind in counts and they were sitting on it.

B4 we took a 3 run lead on a single my son that scored two. His first two AB's were real tough as the ump was calling balls in the other batter box strikes. Each of the first two AB's he fell behind 0-2 on four pitches that were well out of the zone. Nothing he could do. He battled well to foul off the next couple pitches each AB to eventually put the ball in play but it just ruined the AB opportunity having to protect and deal with those calls. Sometimes that's baseball. He did benefit from those calls as a pitcher so he can't complain too much.

T5 he got the first two batters out on 2 pitches. Then walked the next guy on a full count. He then went full to the clean up hitter and tried to shake off the catcher but the coach had given the no shake off sign so he had to go with it. A full count CB which the kid crushed out to LF. My son wanted to throw a cutter because this kid had hid his CB hard a couple times already but the coach had other ideas. Sometimes that happens. It was a bit disconcerting because it was obvious this team was sitting off speed based on their approached after 4 inning of play but sometimes the coach has other ideas.

After that (brought the game to 5-4) it was first time all year where he lost a bit of composure on the mound. He didn't like the call and it turned out bad and he was a bit flustered. Coach did a good job of taking a mound visit and calmed him down and he settled back in and got the next batter. Then struck out the side in the Top of the 6th pounding the zone with FB's. It was a good adjustment and it was the first time he took control of the game with his mound presence and set the tone. A great mental step after struggling most of the game and just not having his "good stuff".

Team put the first two runners on in the B6 and my son (the #3 hitter) came up and was called on to bunt. He placed a perfect sac down the 3B line and was a bang bang play at first that was called out. It could have gone either way. Next guy flew out to short CF so no tag. Next guy bailed them out with a 2 run single to get some breathing room. That brought the score to 7-4. They went down with a wimper in the 7th with no baserunners and a couple weak hit balls and a K. Final stat line on the mound was 7 IP, 6 H, 2 BB, 1 HBP, 7 K, 4 ER on 97 pitches. At the plate he went 1-3 with a sac and an RBI. Team is now 16-1 and 6-0 in league. Next game tomorrow on the road against this same team.

Season to date:
  • Pitching: 6-0, 0.91 ERA (46 IP/6 ER), 21 H, 5 BB, 4 HBP, 65 K, 6 CG, 1 No hitter, 1 Shutout
  • Hitting: .382 (21 for 55), 14 R, 13 RBI, 7 2B, 6/6 SB, .470 OBP, .979 OPS

**** Side note: I was talking to my son last week about stealing bases. He isn't the fastest guy but is above average for HS. What he excels at is reading the ball off the bat and just game situation reads. I asked about his steals because he always seems to go on great pitches to steal on and I wondered if he was getting steal signs or the "green light". He said most of the time he is given the green light so up to him to go or not. He said the reason he is able to pick right most of the time is that when he leads he peaks at the catcher's signs and goes on off speed pitches. I was blown away as I would have never thought about doing that when I was playing because I was more worried about getting picked then trying to steal signs. Just something that impressed me and figured I would share.

(I hope I don't bore too many of you with the game recaps. They are interesting to me when I read other peoples so I hope you guys get a kick out of them as well).

After some turmoil, little belljr finally saw some action. Also, got her first start in the second game. Played 2B

Got her first collegiate hit a 2 run double. On the day 2-5 with 3rbis.

I almost don't want to count the first at bat because the coach told her she was pinch hitting as the girl she was pinch hitting for was walking to the plate lol

And when you haven't been in a game in about 3 weeks, that's tough for anyone.

But she took advantage of her opportunities. So hopefully that means she'll see more time in the future

She was fantastic in the field, ran down a fly ball down. The right field line was probably the highlight

Next Outing: League resumed back up after Spring Break. There are 9 games remaining in the regular season where they play home & home series against each league team. This week starts with the 3rd place team and one where we beat them 6-2 the first time around. My son didn't start that game but came in to end it in the 7th with an 8 pitch, 3 up-3 down inning.

Yesterday was at home. His arm was feeling a little tired but his back was more of an issue as it was a bit tight. You could tell as he didn't have his normal pinpoint control. He ended up walking two batters (only had 3 walks total on the year coming into the game). The game was nip an tuck with us getting the lead in the bottom of the 1st 1-0. Top of the 2nd he gave up a lead off double (on a 2-1 hanging curve), a hit batter, then a 2-0 get me over curve that was hit to Left Center. The LF drifted with a banana route and let it drop. That scored a run and ended up a single because all the runners held up because it should/could have been caught. He worked his way out with a couple weak contact outs. We then took the lead 3-1 and they promptly added a run to close it to 3-2. It was obvious to me that the other teams's approach was to sit off speed as they were attacking all breaking balls even in FB counts. Seems the book is out that he likes to go with breaking stuff when behind in counts and they were sitting on it.

B4 we took a 3 run lead on a single my son that scored two. His first two AB's were real tough as the ump was calling balls in the other batter box strikes. Each of the first two AB's he fell behind 0-2 on four pitches that were well out of the zone. Nothing he could do. He battled well to foul off the next couple pitches each AB to eventually put the ball in play but it just ruined the AB opportunity having to protect and deal with those calls. Sometimes that's baseball. He did benefit from those calls as a pitcher so he can't complain too much.

T5 he got the first two batters out on 2 pitches. Then walked the next guy on a full count. He then went full to the clean up hitter and tried to shake off the catcher but the coach had given the no shake off sign so he had to go with it. A full count CB which the kid crushed out to LF. My son wanted to throw a cutter because this kid had hid his CB hard a couple times already but the coach had other ideas. Sometimes that happens. It was a bit disconcerting because it was obvious this team was sitting off speed based on their approached after 4 inning of play but sometimes the coach has other ideas.

After that (brought the game to 5-4) it was first time all year where he lost a bit of composure on the mound. He didn't like the call and it turned out bad and he was a bit flustered. Coach did a good job of taking a mound visit and calmed him down and he settled back in and got the next batter. Then struck out the side in the Top of the 6th pounding the zone with FB's. It was a good adjustment and it was the first time he took control of the game with his mound presence and set the tone. A great mental step after struggling most of the game and just not having his "good stuff".

Team put the first two runners on in the B6 and my son (the #3 hitter) came up and was called on to bunt. He placed a perfect sac down the 3B line and was a bang bang play at first that was called out. It could have gone either way. Next guy flew out to short CF so no tag. Next guy bailed them out with a 2 run single to get some breathing room. That brought the score to 7-4. They went down with a wimper in the 7th with no baserunners and a couple weak hit balls and a K. Final stat line on the mound was 7 IP, 6 H, 2 BB, 1 HBP, 7 K, 4 ER on 97 pitches. At the plate he went 1-3 with a sac and an RBI. Team is now 16-1 and 6-0 in league. Next game tomorrow on the road against this same team.

Season to date:
  • Pitching: 6-0, 0.91 ERA (46 IP/6 ER), 21 H, 5 BB, 4 HBP, 65 K, 6 CG, 1 No hitter, 1 Shutout
  • Hitting: .382 (21 for 55), 14 R, 13 RBI, 7 2B, 6/6 SB, .470 OBP, .979 OPS

**** Side note: I was talking to my son last week about stealing bases. He isn't the fastest guy but is above average for HS. What he excels at is reading the ball off the bat and just game situation reads. I asked about his steals because he always seems to go on great pitches to steal on and I wondered if he was getting steal signs or the "green light". He said most of the time he is given the green light so up to him to go or not. He said the reason he is able to pick right most of the time is that when he leads he peaks at the catcher's signs and goes on off speed pitches. I was blown away as I would have never thought about doing that when I was playing because I was more worried about getting picked then trying to steal signs. Just something that impressed me and figured I would share.

(I hope I don't bore too many of you with the game recaps. They are interesting to me when I read other peoples so I hope you guys get a kick out of them as well).
Awesome for your son.. Absolutely not boring us. I'm trying to figure out how you have this time to make such a solid port

My son has started off well this baseball season. 3 hits in 6 AB, 3 walks, no outs yet so batting 1.000. At least 2 of the hits were infield singles that he outran to firstm. I'm glad his confidence has grown and he's swinging and pitches without me paying him.
Nice... he is swinging which by itself is a huge improvement from before but also getting hits and laying off the crap. Well done

Not really an accomplishment but something funny.

A little tournament for vball today. For the most part, I have been at all of my daughters club games.... so I have watched her for like 95% of all game play. My daughter is a solid all around player. When they are missing someone, she is the one that gets moved around to fill in for whatever position. Her serves are consistent. She ranges from average to getting dialed in and can nail some good ones.

Today, I was holding in pee for a while as I didn't want to take a break and she played 100% of all the games. Finally, the second game ends and I go to pee. Of course this Jr High which is in Chicago is HUGE. The gym itself was massive, easily the largest I have ever been to and the bathrooms were like on the other side of where we were.

So... of course... I walk up and they have already begun play. One of the other parents was like "Your daughter had a real nice streak for 5 serves" and after the game my daughter is like "you missed it, I was really serving good!" (which if she is praising herself it must have been really good as she doesn't do that). Of course... that time that I happened to be away for 5 minutes!

Rugby started today. Going to be a long season. My son is a 7th grader and he’s moved to the 7th/8th league. Man the kids are gigantic. And he’s excited he’s up to 95lbs. :lmao:

Ironic thing is his own teammates did him in today. He got a head to his chin and has the nastiest knot/bruise I’ve seen in quite a while. Then in the second match he’s finishing a tackle and a teammate jumps in and rams his forehead into the ground. He was dizzy and so done for the day.

I am proud of him that he’s not down nor did he hold back today. Several parents commented to me that he was impressive today. One said he was an animal. I hope he keeps on giving his all and keeps the positive attitude.

My son has started off well this baseball season. 3 hits in 6 AB, 3 walks, no outs yet so batting 1.000.
I hate to be that guy.....but I am that guy. Baseball is stats so knowing the terminology is key.

I assume he had 6 plate appearances and has three hits and three walks in those six plate appearances. A walk does not count as an at bat so he would only have three at bats. Also if he got on base by error it would count as an out for batting average purposes and also doesn't count as being on base for OBP.

Plate appearances and at bats are treated differently for calculating batting average and On base percentage.

Great job by your son. Keep up the good work!

Kid went 1/3 yesterday in his start. Unfortunately his team was killed 10-0.

Made all his plays.

Faced a real deal pitcher. 24 years old. Topping out at 94 with a change up 10 MPH less, and a nasty curve. His fastball had a ton of run (LHP).

He ripped a few fastballs straight back to the screen and he was on them....but he did K two times swinging vs this stud....but barreled up a line drive single in his 3AB off him on a 3-1 count.

He is getting another Varsity start Tuesday night!

Should be fun. They are playing a damn good NAIA St Andrews University team.

His freshman year is winding down and man did it go fast!

Last edited:
My son has started off well this baseball season. 3 hits in 6 AB, 3 walks, no outs yet so batting 1.000.
I hate to be that guy.....but I am that guy. Baseball is stats so knowing the terminology is key.

I assume he had 6 plate appearances and has three hits and three walks in those six plate appearances. A walk does not count as an at bat so he would only have three at bats. Also if he got on base by error it would count as an out for batting average purposes and also doesn't count as being on base for OBP.

Plate appearances and at bats are treated differently for calculating batting average and On base percentage.

Great job by your son. Keep up the good work!
You are correct. 6 plate appearances, 3 ABs, 3 hits.

I'm trying to figure out how you have this time to make such a solid port
It's actually really easy. I am engaged in the game so I am usually thinking through pitch sequencing and game situations because we typically discuss the game afterwards as he wants to go over this thought process and why certain things happened or what he could have done better as well as highlight choices that turned out well. Discussing the reasons (good or bad) the game played out the way it did.

Also, the games are typically low scoring with certain key points in the game that stick out. It's not hard to recall those key spots. It really doesn't take much time at all. Our local paper coverage is also very terrible. I have thought about inquiring about being the local HS sports guy upon retirement because I am so baffled at how the coverage could be so bad. So doing this is giving me a little taste of what it would take (even if it is for just one game and only one aspect of the game).

I am glad people are enjoying the recaps.

I'm trying to figure out how you have this time to make such a solid port
It's actually really easy. I am engaged in the game so I am usually thinking through pitch sequencing and game situations because we typically discuss the game afterwards as he wants to go over this thought process and why certain things happened or what he could have done better as well as highlight choices that turned out well. Discussing the reasons (good or bad) the game played out the way it did.

Also, the games are typically low scoring with certain key points in the game that stick out. It's not hard to recall those key spots. It really doesn't take much time at all. Our local paper coverage is also very terrible. I have thought about inquiring about being the local HS sports guy upon retirement because I am so baffled at how the coverage could be so bad. So doing this is giving me a little taste of what it would take (even if it is for just one game and only one aspect of the game).

I am glad people are enjoying the recaps.
I mean I can recall almost every club I hit of the last round of golf I played and can tell you almost every hole I ever played (course layout) as far as for my kid I remember key plays not just by her but others from when they were like 10. I might not remember the count but I recall the "plays"

Some things just stick with people differently than other things.

I mean I can recall almost every club I hit of the last round of golf I played and can tell you almost every hole I ever played (course layout) as far as for my kid I remember key plays not just by her but others from when they were like 10. I might not remember the count but I recall the "plays"

We have friends (another couple) and the wives are amazed at our recollection of a game that was played last week. Me and the other guy will rehash games with pitch sequencing and pitch counts and where balls were hit etc and they are just baffled how easily we can do that. I can't explain it either. It just sticks with me and if fairly easily to recall especially once I get started talking about it.

We have friends (another couple) and the wives are amazed at our recollection of a game that was played last week. Me and the other guy will rehash games with pitch sequencing and pitch counts and where balls were hit etc and they are just baffled how easily we can do that. I can't explain it either. It just sticks with me and if fairly easily to recall especially once I get started talking about it.
I can still feel the ball hitting the bat from LL games a few years ago. Same for games and individual plays from college soccer on back to HS.

Next outing: We are now in the home and home portion of league play. We have six teams in our league and play each team three times. The first time through was a single game so you played each team once. The next time through it is a home and home series where you play the same team on Wednesday and then Friday. They set it up this way so that a team couldn't work their pitching rotation so you could throw your best guy against the same team every time. This way you will have to face the #2 guy at least once. It's a really good set up for equality across the league. Gally Jr is the Wednesday guy, so he gets to set the tone for the week (which he likes).

This week is the second round of home and homes and we are playing a team that he faced in round one and beat 11-1 in six innings (mercy rule). This other team is better than the score indicated and was a team we actually tied for the league title with last year having split our season series 1-1 (last year was a different league format with 8 teams in the league so you only played everyone twice).

We are facing what is likely their #1 SP (who we didn't face the first time) so I figured it would be a tight game. He is the pitcher that shut us down last year when we lost 7-1. Well we jump out to a 4-0 lead after the top of the first and it should have been worse. We left runners on 2nd and 3rd to end the inning. My son hits third and doubled in two runs with a shot down the RF line on a 1-2 pitch to get us started. This inning pretty much set the tone for the game.

In the bottom of the first Gally jr struck out the first guy on a 1-2 cutter (his new pitch he is developing). It was a good one and the guy had no chance. Next guy gets sawed off and hits a slow roller to the 2B who booted it for an error. The next guy hit a two hopper to 3rd for a possible double play but beat out the throw to first. He then stole second (barely). Next guy hit a 2-2 fastball on the outer half into the 3-4 hole to score the runner from 2nd. We talked after the game about this batter and his sequencing. He got him down 0-2 on two FB's early and then threw two CB's to try and get him to chase. He then tried to throw a 2 seamer on the outer third thinking the guy would give up on it after seeing two CB's in the same location but instead the guy did a good job of just punching it threw the hole. I thought he should have busted him in with the 2 seamer as everything had been on the outer half up to that point. He agreed that would probably have been a better option.

We proceeded to tack on a couple runs each inning while Gally Jr efficiently mowed through the lineup. He gave up one other hit over the rest of the game and averaged about 11-12 pitches an inning. He was getting soft contact for the most part and some routine fly balls. No real threats. I was hoping we could end it in 5 innings with the mercy rule to save some pitches/innings but could only muster a 10-1 score through 5 so had to go to the sixth. We proceeded to load the bases with nobody out with our 7-8-9 hitters coming up (these guys are not hitters. They get overmatched with good pitchers but can bunt a little and hit average HS pitching. The other team decides to bring in their closer to try and keep us from getting enough for the mercy rule. He comes in and strikes out our #7 hitter and proceeds to stare down our dugout. It was quite comical. He then strikes out the next guy and stares down the dugout even longer. Our guys were laughing and pointing to the scoreboard. It was like the guy that catches a first down pass late in the 4th quarter when his team is down 40-7 and jumps up to signal first down. Anyway, our #9 hitter is able to work a walk to bring in the 11th run and then our leadoff guy K's on a high FB. The pitcher then struts off the mound glaring into our dugout. It was quite embarrassing. My son then comes out for the bottom of the 6th and promptly walks the first batter. He was overthrowing trying to blow FB's by the guy. Not sure what he was doing. He then gets the next three guys to meekly fly out on routine fly balls to end the game.

Going into Friday's game should be quite interesting. There were a couple of cheap shots delivered by their players once the game was in hand that were not ideal and gut our guys riled up a bit. One was a take out slide on a double play where the runner slid late with cleats up and spiked our 2B. The other was their SP meekly grounding out to 3B but then stepping on our 1B's ankle well after the out was made that was just a terribly cheap shot. My son said he was going to drill him his next time up after that but he never got another AB. I told him I understood but since you have now beat these guys 11-1 twice and have them basically demoralized and out of it there is no need to give them any spark. Just take care of business and put the wood to them again on Friday and that will be the best revenge.

Final line was 6 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 R (0 ER) on 73 pitches. We also went 1-2 at the plate with 2 R, 2 RBi, 2 BB, and a double. Not a bad all around game. Team is now 17-1 (8-0 in league)

Year to Date:
  • Pitching: 7-0, 0.67 ERA (52 IP/12 R/5 ER), 23 H, 5 BB, 4 HBP, 70K, 7 CG, 2 shutouts, 1 no hitter
  • Hitting: .361 (22-61), 16 R, 15 RBI, 8 BB, 2 K, 4 HBP, 8 doubles, 6 for 6 SB, .459 OBP, .951 OPS

My son faced a 27 year old senior pitcher from Barton College (D2)

Really? Like seriously.....it's getting stupid.

Anyway he ripped a first pitch slider linedrive double after he struck him out the prior AB starting him with a slider.

He sat on it and he hung it.

But he was telling me they had multiple graduate students in their 6th year of eligibility.

This is why it's getting harder and harder for high school seniors to get recruited. Coaches are going to the portal more than ever to recruit vs taking the risks on green incoming freshman.

Anyway thought I would share that.

Kid is still hitting missiles the last two weeks but finding a lot of leather lately. Baseball is so cruel lol.

Huge conference series road trip Saturday and Sunday!!

Users who are viewing this thread