What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Collectively, A Thread To Celebrate Our Kids Athletic Accomplishments (1 Viewer)

We were supposed to have our first dual swim meet yesterday but there was some sort of schedule conflict from the other club. The stupid thing about it is that it is a conference meet which we need to have a minimum of in order to enter the conference meet. The other club said "sorry" and they would email the conference to explain but the other meet they went to was non-conference so in my view, they should have cancelled the other meet.... anyways.... they switched it to another intrasquad meet.

My son ended 2nd in both 50 Free and Back. The cool thing about this is that he just barely got beat in both. The cool thing about that is that it was his team mate that is one of the stronger swimmers in the club that made regionals in a couple of events last season. Also, last season, it wasn't close- this swimmer would have easily beat my son by a couple of seconds or more and will be aging out of 10U after this season (this is my sons 2nd 10U season and he has 2 more after this one so this kid is a year older than my son). Also, considering the back is his weakest stroke, mostly because he doesn't like it, that was pretty good too.

He swam in relays against the girls A and B team and the B team and they beat them which they should but on the medley, against the girls A team which is a pretty strong team, they were getting beat by about a third of the length of the pool from the back and breast and then my son gave them about a half of a pool lead from his fly.

The big goal is to beat the club record in 50 fly for 10U. I think he has a real good chance to do it. The club has been operating for 60 years so that would be something if he pulls it off.

Last edited:
My son is up for Player of the week again for his pitching performance in the quarterfinals last Friday. He went 6.2 IP, 3 ER, 5 H, 2 BB, 8 K's and the win. He also went 1-3 with a double and an RBI in the 10-4 win.

Vote here Spencer Gallimore

ETA: You can vote as many times as you like and you can use the same email address each time. Plus it doesn't have to be valid just as long as it's in the right format.
My son has asked that if anyone is voting they switch over to his teammate Gabe. He had a great week going 8 for 9 at the plate over the two playoff games and played great defense at 2B with a couple key double plays. He wants to get his teammate the recognition since he hasn't won this yet.

Thanks.

ETA: Gabe is about 3K votes behind. Let's do this!

Last edited:
Well after being upset last year we finally got the monkey off our back and win the quarters to advance to the Group 4 semi finals in softball. ( I don't know how other places do it but here we are Group 1-4 based on size of school. Good job ladies!!!!

I'll comment on my kid specifically after all this is over :)

Last edited:
My son is up for Player of the week again for his pitching performance in the quarterfinals last Friday. He went 6.2 IP, 3 ER, 5 H, 2 BB, 8 K's and the win. He also went 1-3 with a double and an RBI in the 10-4 win.

Vote here Spencer Gallimore

ETA: You can vote as many times as you like and you can use the same email address each time. Plus it doesn't have to be valid just as long as it's in the right format.
My son has asked that if anyone is voting they switch over to his teammate Gabe. He had a great week going 8 for 9 at the plate over the two playoff games and played great defense at 2B with a couple key double plays. He wants to get his teammate the recognition since he hasn't won this yet.

Thanks.

ETA: Gabe is about 3K votes behind. Let's do this!
LOVE your son supporting his teammate like that. That is awesome. Good kid and well done Dad.

Back to back to back 7A State and National Champions. They did it!!!

Poetic Justice.....my son got his alone AB in the title game in the 5th.....drew a 4 pitch walk. Got nothing to hit.....he was on second and a man on third....up 8-0. 10 run mercy rule fully on the table. Base hit to LF. He blazed home from second....head first slide into home to end the game and his high school career......it was surreal!!!

I am going to post some stats here that these young men accomplished to help show the magnitude of how incredible and special this team was. IMO I think they may very well be remembered as the greatest High School baseball team/season is history. It is that mind boggling. Remember.....we are in the state of Florida where we arguably have the greatest collection of baseball talent in the country.

First Public High School in Florida history to go undefeated (29-0)
First Public High School in Florida history to go back to back to back state titles (yes we are the only one ever)

These are not video game stats:

Outscored our opponents 248-33
Trailed only 5 times this year and was 1-0 each time
Never trailed in a game past the 3rd inning
Had 943 plate appearances offensively and trailed in only 16 of those PA.
Team Batting Average of .342 with an OBP of .482
Hit more HR’s (35) than runs allowed (33)
Face 18 teams ranked in the top 10 of the state and outscored them 135-23
Our Opponents winning percentage was 66% (508-259)
Currently have the longest winning streak in the entire country (51 games)

Pitching Staff:

Team ERA of .87 and a WHIP of .81
186 innings pitched and allowed more than 1 hit an inning just 18 times (15X allowed 2 hits and 3X allowed 3 hits)
186 innings pitched and allowed more than 1 run in an inning just 5 times (4X allowed 2 runs and once allowed 4 runs)
Allowed 0 or 1 runs in 20 of the 29 wins
10.3 K’s per 7IP and 2.2 BB per 7IP

This is without a doubt the most selfless team I have ever seen in my entire life. We have 26 kids on this roster.......and they are all fantastic baseball players and young men. Rooting for each other, playing for each other. They accomplished history. They will never forget this season the rest of heir lives.

I could not be prouder of my son for being part of this elite group......and being a key contributor.

Final Senior season stats:

.364 BA
.417 OBP
.545 SLG
.962 OPS
20 Runs
20 SB
6 RBI
2- 2B

We got home yesterday afternoon.......and where did he go last night after being up till 5AM Thursday celebrating? To hit in the cages with his best friend and summer collegiate league teammate.

Keep grinding son....the best is still yet to come.

Poetic Justice.....my son got his alone AB in the title game in the 5th.....drew a 4 pitch walk. Got nothing to hit.....he was on second and a man on third....up 8-0. 10 run mercy rule fully on the table. Base hit to LF. He blazed home from second....head first slide into home to end the game and his high school career......it was surreal!!!

I am going to post some stats here that these young men accomplished to help show the magnitude of how incredible and special this team was. IMO I think they may very well be remembered as the greatest High School baseball team/season is history. It is that mind boggling. Remember.....we are in the state of Florida where we arguably have the greatest collection of baseball talent in the country.

First Public High School in Florida history to go back to back to back state titles (yes we are the only one ever)

Pitching Staff:

186 innings pitched and allowed more than 1 hit an inning just 18 times (15X allowed 2 hits and 3X allowed 3 hits)
186 innings pitched and allowed more than 1 run in an inning just 5 times (4X allowed 2 runs and once allowed 4 runs)

This is without a doubt the most selfless team I have ever seen in my entire life. We have 26 kids on this roster.......and they are all fantastic baseball players and young men. Rooting for each other, playing for each other. They accomplished history. They will never forget this season the rest of heir lives.

I could not be prouder of my son for being part of this elite group......and being a key contributor.

.364 BA
.417 OBP
.545 SLG
.962 OPS
20 Runs
20 SB
6 RBI
2- 2B

We got home yesterday afternoon.......and where did he go last night after being up till 5AM Thursday celebrating? To hit in the cages with his best friend and summer collegiate league teammate.

That's awesome - Congrats!!

Pitching Staff:

.364 BA
.417 OBP
.545 SLG
.962 OPS
20 Runs
20 SB
6 RBI
2- 2B

Mercy rule in a title game... that is seriously ridiculous.
Congrats to them and your son, that is awesome!

Congrats @Todem . Well earned. I am surprised they had a mercy rule. Our playoffs don't have that. Gotta play the full game.

Well our Cinderella season didn't end with a Sectional championship. We lost to the #1 seed 8-3.

Their starter threw 92 but struggled to find the plate off and on. It gave us some opportunities and we were able to cash a couple in. 2nd inning my son led off with a walk after fouling a couple off. He had a great AB. We was wild pitched to 3B while there were two K's and a balk to get two runners on with two outs. With 2nd and 3rd and two outs we got a single to score 2. It gave us the lead 2-1. (They scored an unearned run in the B1 on a single and an error on the pitcher on a pick-off putting him on 3B). They tied it up in the 2nd on another unearned run when our SS dropped a pop-up in shallow left with two outs. He should have been called off by the LF but the LF is young and timid.

My son then came into pitch in the 3rd (he only has 6 innings available so they decided to go with a starter). He K'd the first guy bringing up their best hitter (Oregon commit). He left a FB that was supposed to be in over the outer third and he drove it to left off the wall for a triple. Then he walked the next guy on four pitches. He was over throwing a bit. After that he settled in and K'd the next guy and got a pop up to strand the runner at 3B.

Next inning he got the first two outs and then walked a guy on a full count. His bread and butter all year was off speed in FB counts. This time he bounced two CB at 2-2 and 3-2 for the walk. Then he gave up back to back singles (first pitch get me over CB and a 0-1 change that stayed up). Now we were down 3-2.

Top 5 we got a one out single and a walk and they pulled the Oregon commit. The guy they brought in is a Fullerton commit and tops out at 94-95. He came in and struck out the next guy bringing up my son. He fouls the first pitch and takes an outside FB for strike 2. Next pitch he hits sid up the middle for a baseline scoring the guy from 2B on a bang bang at at the plate. A tied up. The best part was one if their fans yelled out "strike 3" as the pitch was being delivered and he shut him up with the hit. I told my son about this and he said he heard the fan as he was swinging.

Now tied up with some new hope. Bottom 5 gets a bit interesting. Lead off batter hits a 3-2 CB for a single. Next guy singles on the first putch (hung a CB). First and second no outs.

Next guy ground ball to SS for what should be a double play. Runner slides wide of 2B (cleats up) and takes out our player . By rule in HS runner has to slide directly at the base and cannot go past the base. This was a textbook what not to do based on the current rule. Our coaches go out to talk to the umps while our player is still down being attended to by the trainer. Just a dirty play. After conferring the let it stand. One out runner safe at 1B which puts it 1st and 3rd with one out.

Next batter tries a squeeze and our 3B makes a great play to shovel home but it appears the runner beats it as it was a well executed squeeze. Ump calls him out though. Their fans go livid as does the other bench. Players running out of dugout coaches berating the ump. Just out of hand.

Next batter (runners at 1st and 2nd with two outs) comes up and on a 1-2 pitch (good change down and away to the lefty) he serves it down the LF line and up calls it foul (lots of differing opinions on what it actually was) but isn't authoritative about the call. Chaos ensues with runners going and fans getting excited. The ump says foul and their coaches/players are all over the field. Batter is on 2B. Scoreboard counts 2 runs. Everyone wonderingvaround wondering what the hell is happening. Then umps huddle and it looks like they are going g to overturn it to fair - which you can't do since we stopped playing when the ump called it foul. Our coach goes out to see what is going on and then the umps start pointing and waiving and players are confused. Not sure who is at bat. Was it fair? Foul? Just chaos. After about 5 minutes they eventually put runners back where they started and put the batter back to the plate making it a foul ball. During all this the batter was chipping at my son on the mound while he was going back and forth between 2B and one as stuff was being worked out. My son said he kept whining he got a double and my son kept telling him to go back and hit to earn it. Next pitch DB right down the middle that he just blew by the batter. Just over matched. My son then told him to go sit down.

At this point their fans are irate yelling bad things at the umps and at our fans. It was getting unruly. Really marring an otherwise solid game.

Top 6 we go down in order as our hitters were just overrated and had no shot (bottom of our lineup who struggle as it is).

Bottom 6. My son hits the leadoff guy (9th hitter). Next guy bunts and runs 2 feet inside the line in fair territory. 3B throw to first is a little high and our 1B is able to get it and as he is coming off the bag gets run over by the batter causing him to drop the ball. IMO he had it long enough for the out and with the runner out of the running lane it should have been ruled an out as it could be ruled being g out of the running lane affected the throw.

Regardless umps rule safe and because of the chaos of the collision and our SS covering 3B the batter takes off to 2B and they end up with runners at 2nd & 3rd.

Next batter with a perfect squeeze and beats the shovel from my son home. Stolen base on 1st pitch making it now 2nd and 3rd so the intentionally walk the Oregon commit.

Fly ball to shallow CF but our player does everything wrong so in no position to throw home so sac fly. Two runs in and one out with runners at 1st & 2nd. Next guy gets jammed on a hood FB but loops it into LF to score another.

Next batter hits a high pop up that makes our 2B drift back and umps call infield fly. The 2B drops it in shallow CF and runners advance. Now two outs (which their coaches and fans were going bonkers in the infield fly call) and runners at 2nd and 3rd.

Base hit to left scoring two. The second runner crosses the plate and goes to our stands and drops a F-you to the fans. This doesn't go over well. Our fans start yelling at the other fans about the terrible sportsmanship which of course gets heated. Two fans (one from each side) end up getting ejected). Just a terrible scene. I am trying to hold the peace as I am on the border between the two fan bases. I keep telling our guys to calm down and not stoop to their level as they have been terrible all game. I get most calmed down on our side.

Anyway back to the game. My son get the next batter to ground out to end the inning. All told 5 runs (2 earned) on two hits, 2 errors, 1 HBP, an intentional walk a player f-bombing the crowd, two fans ejected, and still one inning to pay.

We end up getting two on with one out and our best hitter up. My son on deck. He ends up swinging for strike three at a ball in the diet and the runner at 2B extends and gets back picked by the catcher to end the game. Fitting end to a crazy game.

In the end they were the better team. We needed to play mistake free (didn't happen with 5 errors and 5 unearned runs) to win.

My son ended up going 4 innings, with 7 hits, 3 BB (one intentional), 1 HBP, 4 K's, 6 R (3 ER) and the loss. He was 1 for 1 at the plate with a run, RBI, BB, and HBP.

A good game but not quite his sharpest on the mound. He battled in some tough situations to minimize damage but a couple errors really killed that last inning. I think fatigue set in a bit as he threw 112, 45, and 68 pitches in the course of a week over 14 innings.

Second place in the section, a league championship, and a birth to the state regional playoffs (starts Tuesday) isn't too shabby.

Until next time.....

Rugby is finally over as we had the 5/6 All Stars game yesterday. The teams weren’t very even and our side got stomped. However, my son had a great game. He had 3 great runs and was tackling everything. Best was when he stuck a kid 2x his size and drove him back a couple of yards before taking him down. He ended up being selected “man of the match” for his team. He was pretty excited.

Looking forward to prepping for football now. He’s really in to working out on his agility and reaction time. We’ve been running ladders and doing some reaction drills. He asked if I could contact the 7th grade coaches for the playbook so he could start studying. I’ve raised a football nerd - I’m so proud.

State Regional Playoffs:

Yesterday we started the California State Regional Playoffs. It's an 8 team bracket that includes the winner and runner ups for a few section championships. We were in the central section and got paired with the southern section. We ended up being seeded #8 and had to play the #1 seed. Luckily it was only an hour away so it wasn't a bad drive. Could have been much worse.

We were familiar with this team as we were in the same league for a few years. They are extremely good and had a few D1 commits including their #1 pitcher who is likely to be drafted in the upcoming MLB draft in the first couple rounds (likely first round). He tops out at 97 and sits at 95. We have faced him a few times and my son has hit him well. We expected to see this guy but his agent stepped in and shut him down for the rest of the year in prep for the MLB draft coming up in the next week or two.

Instead we faced their #2 guy who is 85-88 with a devastating slider. We were overmatched at the plate. Only got three hits and were shut out. My son went 0-3 with a line drive out, a strike out (on a questionable call), and a one hop shot up the middle that the pitcher snagged somehow (I thought it was a base hit off the bat). They had him play LF (still not sure why they played him there as he is a much better infielder than the guys there although he is likely a better OF than them as well so I guess pick your poison). Anyway he ended up pumping a guy out at the plate on a single to LF. Perfect long hop throw and beat him by 5 feet. He had two other opportunities on basehits to him that he made equally good throws but the runner just beat them. Maybe he is an Outfielder...hahaha

We ended up losing 6-0 and the game was never close. This team had no holes in their lineup and their pitcher was top notch. It was a bitter sweet ending to just a phenominal season for this team. They set school records for wins (24), won a league championship, went to the Sectional Finals (1st time ever) and made the State Regional Playoffs (first time ever). Definitealy a season to remember. The best part is they are only losing one senior (the RF'r) so expectations will be extremely high next year. It will be a different beast playing with high expectations. It will be interesting to see how they prepare and handle those high expectations. It will be something I talk to my son about a lot over the off season to see how he is going to approach it.

Final tally on his junior season:

Pitching:
  • 11-3 (Tied for 4th most wins in the state of California)
  • 84.1 IP, 74 H, 42 R (25 ER), 17 BB, 80 K
  • 2.08 ERA
  • 6 CG out of 12 starts (also had two games of 6.2 innings where he had to come out due to pitch count)
  • No hitter

Hitting:
  • 33 for 93 (.355)
  • 23 R
  • 18 RBI
  • 9 doubles
  • 18 BB
  • 6 K
  • 3 for 3 on Stolen Bases
  • .453 OBP
  • .905 OPS
** Played 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF and Pitcher and made a total of 1 error

All in all a successful season. Now he had to put in the work if he wants to take another step. We will see how that goes.

Well we lost in the South Group 4 semifinals 2-1 in 8 innings. We could not figure this pitcher out. We should have won but in the end it was a good season. She went 1-3 with a sac

As far as little belljr and my rant that she was not hitting she was finally put back in the lineup. Her first game back she only had the game winning RBI in the last inning with 2 outs. Was moved up to the second slot and went on to go. 14-32, 4 2b, and 10 rbis..... Smh

Anyway sad it's over, happy she put it together and played well.

Last edited:
Yesterday was a busy day...

Overview: Middle son played semi-final soccer game (won) and then immediately after a swim meet (two 1st place one of them in 12U and he is 9yrs old, one 4th in 12U). Youngest was at the swim meet (DQ and 3rd). My oldest, my daughter, threw in a basketball practice.

Semi-Final for soccer for my older son. He played goalie mostly. Had two.... stops? Saves? I dunno what you call it. And another one on a free kick. Played mid fielder? (is that what it is?) a bit as well. Got in the mix a few times to get the ball away after the other team threatened a bit. 6-1 win (the other teams one goal was on another goalie). Final is Sunday. Game over.... they shake hands and my son runs over while the team goes into their after game huddle.

And then straight over to his tri-meet for swim. He was originally slated to swim the Medley relay, 50 Free, 50 Back and then Free relay. Since the meet started right when the soccer game would be ending we took him off the medley team. I asked for them to add the 50 Fly thinking he could replace that from taking off the Med Relay but rules say they can only do two individual events and then two relay teams. So, I asked them to switch the Free with Fly as the Free was earlier and if the soccer game went long for OT or something it would be safer as the fly is a later event. Then I noticed that they had him in the 12U events for the individuals. I was confused about this so I reached out. I was careful to ask because I didn't want to come off as critical or 'one of those parents' but wanted to understand the reasons. The coach told me that she wants to push him so he has every chance to make Regional times. I give her some feedback that I like that approach and even more so as he gets cocky at times but we may also want to be careful as he gets demotivated by not winning. He then wins his heat in the back and ends 4th in the field for 50 Back. He made a total noob mistake on the back and pulled up short versus reaching for the wall for some reason, added time, likely would have been 3rd if not for that. Takes 1st place in 50 Fly beating out numerous 11 years olds. His Free relay team easily took 1st as well. I was not expecting him to win in fly and was preparing to explain to him why the coach was putting him in 12U. He actually did not even notice until I told him. So much for knocking him down a notch.

My youngest did 25 Breast and tried his best for sure but DQ'd. I saw at least 3 reasons for the DQ for sure, I think a 4th and likely a couple I missed (but for those that don't know swim at all, breast is by far the hardest stroke to not DQ in- my older son DQ'd a ton when he started out). He ended 3rd in 25 back.... mostly because there was a field of 3. For some reason, the kid, for the second time, decided he didn't need goggles when swimming the back. So, he swam it with his eyes closed the whole time. Added like 8 or 9 seconds to his previous time.

My daughter has basketball practice for the summer league she is in. Found out she is on the B team again this year. The A and B teams actually did not change at all which was surprising. My daughter not making A was not too surprising until the summer league started a week or so ago she had not touched a basketball since the season ended with all her focus on volleyball. She told me she had a very bad tryout as well. I was surprised that there was no movement though on any of the girls. There are about 3 on A that are clearly A team girls... one girl who is prob the best in the league, one girl who is the tallest in the league and the third is actually my niece who is just an all around good player. A couple of girls are clearly B team players but then there is a middle ground where skill wise it is very close in my view. My daughter is the best 3 point shooter out of both teams and there is a girl on B team who is the best defender and rebounder. After talking to her, the evaluators are the local public school HS coaching staff and the AD for our school. If all they see is the tryout then it made more sense. My daughter said they did offensive drills (which explains why the other girl didn't make it as she is crap on offense) and my daughter plays stiff and if she has a bad tryout then that is why. My daughter is actually happy about it. She enjoyed her team last season and they won their championship. Plus, she will be the best player on the team again and get tons of playing time. I am good with it, I just wanted her to get into A because she is intimidated by it and I want her to overcome that. But the extra playing time will help her development. Plus, this summer she has a lot of basketball camps to help her as well.

Last edited:
Not an accomplishment but something I think was cool... we signed my older son up for a couple of swim clinics. One was today focusing on butterfly. I somehow missed this but the clinic was run by an Olympian who swam for Canada in Tokyo. It was a small class too... about 15 kids total. I told my kid after and his response was 'yea' which I replied 'dude, do you know what the means? She is one of the best of the best swimmers in the world!' Sometimes I don't think he realizes how lucky he is.

2-1 loss in Championship game for soccer.

The team we played we easily beat them in season though apparently they were missing at least their star goalie. Last year, we beat all the teams by large margins except this same same which we tied and then ended up losing in the championship in a close game. History repeated itself.

They kept the same template in basically splitting the team into two teams and then doing wholesale line changes as a way to get equal time to everyone. The problem with that is that they split out best players among the two.

My son started at goalie. Then they did their line change and pulled him. The other team was threatening and the other goalie came up to get the ball. They called him out of the box. I was not thrilled with this call as there was no box lines on the field (playing on a HS football field shortened for the age). They pulled him and put my son in. The other teams kid kicked a really nice shot in the top far corner. My son got a hand on it but not enough. 1-0. They kept my son at goalie for the rest of the game.

Later, we scored off a rebound from a good shot and their goalie made a good stop but then one of our guys cleaned it up with him on the ground and scored. 1-1. Went to half.

Early in the second half, they ended up with a penalty kick. A high kick that my son got both hands on but not enough and went in. 2-1.

During the whole game, most of the action took place on our side and we would break over and over but not get a good shot. Essentially, our good players were limited in being able to pass out because there wasn't another good player to pass to. As the game went on, the coaches made substitutions bringing in all our good kids. At that point we dominated the field with the ball staying on their side and them unable to get it past half field. There were a couple of somewhat decent shots that went high or wide. We ran out of time. Game ended. But that showed how we were the 'better' team but scoreboard didn't reflect it. During the game he has several good stops or saves or whatever they are called. He did one thing that gave me a heart attack though as he made a stop and the ball started to go out of bounds and instead of letting it, he lunged for it and threw it back into play which was not the smart thing to do. That being said, this was his first season playing goalie at all so he did well and was the teams go to goalie.

Still for school sports this year for my son:

Undefeated football season

Championship basketball season

2nd place soccer season

(for good measure, since I know the kids and I am proud of them even though my son didn't play on the team) 2nd place in Volleyball.

Of course, I would have rather him won but losing isn't so bad. I don't want him to get too over confident and cocky. He took the loss well.

Last edited:
First AB on Sat, my son got thrown out on a grounder to shortstop where he watched the ball and the fielder instead of running hard. He got an earful from the coach (as he was not running). Second AB, he hit another grounder and ran hard, beating the throw from 3rd. Glad that he's swinging at pitches, making contact and above all learning the game of baseball. Last game on Tuesday and then the season wraps.

I asked him if he wanted to play baseball again next year and he said, yes, definitely. He grew in his game a lot this season and I'm proud of him.

This WE, he has a sand soccer tournament in OCMD. This is with his "rec all-star" team. Historically, they struggle in this tournament as the other teams are often clubs that practice together year round. Those players are more aggressive and definitely sharper since they likely only play 1 sport.

Relatedly, this rec all star team is talking about registering as a club so they can play in more tournaments and play against higher level competition. Dues would be $300/year, which is like 1/10th of other clubs around here. They wouldn't be year round, but fall / early winter only. These kids also play basketball, baseball, and flag football. We'll see if my son gets pulled into rec league basketball or if my wife will go for yet one more sport for him... We still haven't talked about the increased time commitment if the soccer "club" thing goes through.

First AB on Sat, my son got thrown out on a grounder to shortstop where he watched the ball and the fielder instead of running hard. He got an earful from the coach (as he was not running). Second AB, he hit another grounder and ran hard, beating the throw from 3rd. Glad that he's swinging at pitches, making contact and above all learning the game of baseball. Last game on Tuesday and then the season wraps.

I asked him if he wanted to play baseball again next year and he said, yes, definitely. He grew in his game a lot this season and I'm proud of him.

This WE, he has a sand soccer tournament in OCMD. This is with his "rec all-star" team. Historically, they struggle in this tournament as the other teams are often clubs that practice together year round. Those players are more aggressive and definitely sharper since they likely only play 1 sport.

Relatedly, this rec all star team is talking about registering as a club so they can play in more tournaments and play against higher level competition. Dues would be $300/year, which is like 1/10th of other clubs around here. They wouldn't be year round, but fall / early winter only. These kids also play basketball, baseball, and flag football. We'll see if my son gets pulled into rec league basketball or if my wife will go for yet one more sport for him... We still haven't talked about the increased time commitment if the soccer "club" thing goes through.
$300 is a steal for club soccer. When we looked at club soccer for my son, it was $2400 a year, granted it is year round. That did not include the gear/uniforms etc though so yea, you are right about 1/10th of the cost. Likely because the coaches aren't trying to put a club together to make money and the club fees are more about covering costs and tourney entry fees. I think you said soccer is his top sport, right? I think that is an easy decision to make to move forward on that if it is indeed his favorite sport.

For pitching to the wifey... I would just say "Look, it is rec basketball, this is the time for him to test out sports and find what he really likes and sort of likes and doesn't like. We can get him in and have him try a season and then he can make decisions if things need to be paired back for whatever reason."

I passed on club soccer for my son because it would conflict with basically everything. Right now, school football, basketball and soccer with club swim is workable. Conflicts are not that often and it is usually a game/meet vs practice or practice vs practice. In two years of doing this he has not had to miss a game or meet because of another game or meet. Last Thursday at their soccer semi-final was the nearest where we dropped an event and came in late. He has been pushing for baseball but that would be an issue. One of his friends just started baseball and missed all but one of their school soccer games including the championship game. The swim club had a noticeably lower male membership in summer versus winter and I asked about it to one of the parents on the board and they said that a number of the boys play baseball so they only do the winter swim season and play baseball in summer. He has also shown some minor interest in lacrosse. This summer he has a schedule full of various sports camps and then swim club and then football will start. Goal number 1 is to burn off energy. Goal number 2 is to get skill development. School ends Wed ths week. He has a shooting clinic at the local HS for bball thursday and friday and then next week is the busiest week of the year for him.... A HS soccer camp in the morning, a school (his school) bball camp for an hour around noon then a HS football camp late afternoon and then swim practice. He will be sleeping very well. :lmao:

I passed on club soccer for my son because it would conflict with basically everything. Right now, school football, basketball and soccer with club swim is workable. Conflicts are not that often and it is usually a game/meet vs practice or practice vs practice. In two years of doing this he has not had to miss a game or meet because of another game or meet. Last Thursday at their soccer semi-final was the nearest where we dropped an event and came in late. He has been pushing for baseball but that would be an issue. One of his friends just started baseball and missed all but one of their school soccer games including the championship game. The swim club had a noticeably lower male membership in summer versus winter and I asked about it to one of the parents on the board and they said that a number of the boys play baseball so they only do the winter swim season and play baseball in summer. He has also shown some minor interest in lacrosse. This summer he has a schedule full of various sports camps and then swim club and then football will start. Goal number 1 is to burn off energy. Goal number 2 is to get skill development. School ends Wed ths week. He has a shooting clinic at the local HS for bball thursday and friday and then next week is the busiest week of the year for him.... A HS soccer camp in the morning, a school (his school) bball camp for an hour around noon then a HS football camp late afternoon and then swim practice. He will be sleeping very well. :lmao:
I would have a concern in the back of my mind about burnout with the amount of stuff he is doing. Yes it's all different but it doesn't seem like he has time to be a kid (and I could be totally way off base). Reading all the stuff he is doing and how much running around you are doing and I am exhausted just thinking about it...hahahah

Don't get me wrong, it's awesome he is trying all these things. My concern is that there is so much he ends up burning out on all of it with no down time. It's just an observation from the outside. Not a criticism or saying you shouldn't be doing all these things.

I know swimming is great for all sports but I wonder if it comes down to narrowing the obligations if you couldn't do away with the structured swim team and just do swimming for conditioning on your own. That way you can still get the conditioning of it without the obligation. He seems into ball sports which is why I suggested this option. You know best for sure.

Again, this is not criticism at all. Just a question as you move forward to keep evaluating the level of commitments.

The amount of commitment is what my wife really dislikes. She says there's no time for us to be a family.
Ouch. I never had that problem because my wife was into sports as well. Our family time was the sports. Everyone enjoyed it and it was time spent together. Having a spouse (and/or other kids) that don't enjoy sports then I can see where this could get dicey.

I think the best approach for that is figuring out what your kid wants. If he is into sports and it's important to him to get better and keep going, I think the approach to the wife is that it is for your kid. I believe you mentioned he had a twin sister that wasn't into sports. Maybe she likes dance or music or cheerleading and can focus there. It does divide the family a bit with everyone being busy it's a good thing.

What does your wife consider "time being a family" to consist of?

I would have a concern in the back of my mind about burnout with the amount of stuff he is doing.
I appreciate the response. It is something more than the back of my head on. I really do want to find a good balance as a father for him. I saw the destructive nature of some father/son relationships when it came to sports growing up and I have no desire for any of that. Also, though he does very well in the sports he does and he does show some potential to further some sport involvement pass high school, the reality is that he just ended 4th grade, enjoys multiple sports and has a world to go. My focus for him is to enjoy the sport but to embrace the suck of the sport... not so much as part of my grand scheme to make him a pro athlete but for life lessons I believe it conveys. As I told his younger brother last night after swim practice.... when you feel your arms and legs start to get tired and hurt a bit, that is when you know you are getting better and you want that in practice. Same in life... when you embrace the suck it is something that pays off. No one likes all the time to put into med or law school but everyone wants to lifestyle of being a doctor or lawyer. You have to embrace the suck to have the rewards. I try to use sports to teach these lessons to them as I did not get them when I was a kid.

I don't force my kids to do any sport. If I did, I would have made him try Volleyball this year but he didn't want to and I didn't push it though I think he would excel and enjoy it. And I would have forced my daughter into swim as she would have excelled at it as well. They didn't want to and it beyond a "are you sure?" conversation, I didn't force it. Once they do the sport, I do expect him to commit to doing it. Meaning, in general, making all practices, games/meets, and putting in his best effort. I encourage and make myself available for them to practice at home but I never push it or demand it. My son would be scary good if he put half the time I did into practicing at home when I was a kid but that was me, I wanted it. He chooses to play Fortnite or watch Youtube of people playing Fortnite if given an opportunity to do whatever with some breaks of riding bikes or going to the park etc. Because he is pretty active and only short periods of no sports during the year- I don't get on him about it. I let him decide what to do with his free time.

I check in pretty frequently on what his feelings are with sports. I usually do it by asking him to rank his favorite sports and use that as a way to get him talking more and can get some insights on how he is feeling or thinking. His rankings have been very stable for a while which is football, soccer, basketball, swim and baseball as his top 5. In doing this a few months back, he did express that he "feels like he wants to take next swim season off." This was near the end of the winter season. I knew he was frustrated (though he doesn't say or show it) with no winning like he did in his first season in the 8U. All he saw was placing 14th in an event at big meets.... what I saw was he was almost always the fastest or top 3 at least of 9 year olds and beat out another 15 or so 10 year olds. As competitive as he is, even though I would show that to him, I could see it didn't matter to him. So, we talked about it. I started off letting him know that if he really wanted to skip the season then that was his ability to make the choice for.... HOWEVER, there are a couple of reasons why I think that that is a poor choice. I went over three things with him. 1) How well he was doing even though he didn't feel like he was. 2) All the kids he is beating now will have an advantage over him as they get better and he regresses and 3) A big reason for his success in football and other sports is the superior conditioning he gets in swim. We then talked about going "light" this season where other than the dual/tri meets he could choose or not choose to do any of the optional big meets and that each week he could take a practice off. He liked that idea and that is what we have done. Shortly after that conversation, he won a really good IM in a dual meet and I saw a very definitive change in attitude. On the way home he even talked about how he could see he was getting better etc. Then the swim club has an end of season banquet where he got all his ribbons and the 'most improved' trophy for his age group (before they announced, there was three trophies: MVP, Most improved and ..... I forget the other one.... he said I won't get the MVP but I think I will win the most improved. Again, you could see him light up and it really energized him about swim again. The winter season is a long one and he really was not grasping how well he was doing. He is very much driven off of winning so it was a hard season for him. For this season, he decided on two big meets and we decided to just go one day for both. After getting moved up to the 12U group for practice they practice later but we still have to go for his brother. A lane was open during the practice so he asked the coaches if he could work on his starts and did that for the hour of practice before his actual practice. I presented him with a couple of swim clinics available. One for Fly stroke and the other on starts and turns. It was 100% up to him on doing them or not and he opted to do them. He always wants me to take video of him that he can watch in general but really wants me to video his starts and he even sat and watched a couple of youtube videos with me on coaching starts (something I have not been able to get him to do with even football). Overall, swim is more than conditioning for him, he enjoys it. For both him and now his little brother doing swim it is all him actually. I have grown to love what the sport can do for an athlete but I never did any competitive swimming or had any exposure to it. He was the one that told me that he wanted to do competitive swimming so I found the local club and off we went. As with all kids, if you gave them 100% choice on doing whatever they wanted they would likely skip practices of all sports and just want to play and be lazy. So, at times with all sports he will whine about going to practice here and there. Usually because friends of his are going to play online games and he wants to be on it with them.

For camps and clinics this summer, I did not check in with him on signing him up but that is because he basically gave a "if it is sports, yes." answer for the last couple of years. Except the couple of swim clinics which I asked if he wanted to do. Other than that, it was just finding camps that worked and were sports he was interested in and then me prioritizing based on his rankings of how he likes the sports. His only request this summer was that he did the Bo Jackson football camp again as that was his favorite.

This upcoming week mentioned above is unusually busy. He has two weeks of nothing scheduled for the summer. All other weeks he has one camp he is going to and a couple of them are only for like 2 hours a day. Swim also wraps up sometime early July (conference in end of June and I am not sure when the regionals are). I forgot how busy next week was for him and looked at it and was like 'wow' but then knew he would make it through. I told him and he gave me a look like "wha?" so then I asked him.... ok, which camp do you want to cancel? His response was immediate and emphatic that he didn't want to cancel any of them. I went over the rest of the schedule for the summer and he was happy with it all. And trust me, my kid is not one to just say he is happy when he isn't.

He is in the driver seat for all of this. I am the navigator trying to urge him to take the best route forward. My top concern is him and my relationship to him though. I am happy to hear other perspectives or thoughts where I may be falling short because I am more concerned about his well being and being a good father to him than I am about my ego or being right or him going pro or whatever other pitfalls may come. I think I am on the right path and have found a good balance. He is a very athletic and active kid who loves sports. My daughter, isn't as much. She likes basketball and volleyball and I have her involved in both but no as much because it isn't as much of a passion for her and she only is interested in those two sports. I bring that up because I think it is good evidence that I am not steamrolling my kids into sports or pushing them like some parents who think their kid is the next great pro athlete and if they don't get them training like one now, then their entire pro career is already over... at age 9. So I invite other thoughts, opinions, etc. If I can get better as a father then that is what I want to do.

He is in the driver seat for all of this. I am the navigator trying to urge him to take the best route forward. My top concern is him and my relationship to him though. I am happy to hear other perspectives or thoughts where I may be falling short because I am more concerned about his well being and being a good father to him than I am about my ego or being right or him going pro or whatever other pitfalls may come. I think I am on the right path and have found a good balance. He is a very athletic and active kid who loves sports. My daughter, isn't as much. She likes basketball and volleyball and I have her involved in both but no as much because it isn't as much of a passion for her and she only is interested in those two sports. I bring that up because I think it is good evidence that I am not steamrolling my kids into sports or pushing them like some parents who think their kid is the next great pro athlete and if they don't get them training like one now, then their entire pro career is already over... at age 9. So I invite other thoughts, opinions, etc. If I can get better as a father then that is what I want to do.

I bolded what I think are the most important points. I'm not sure how popular this opinion will be, but I think it's important to let your kids figure out what they want/don't want to do. It sometimes makes it tough to balance/juggle activities, but it's all you can do as a parent and you just do the best you can.

FWIW, how you're handling your kids was pretty much my approach as well.

Dual meet tonight. It is the second biggest club in our conference. We are about 2/3rd of their size.

My older son (all 10U events):
Medley Relay- 1st place. Pretty much the same thing as the other meets. They end up about a 1/3 of the pool behind from the first two legs (Back and Breast) My son hit the fly and made up all the time to pull them pretty much exactly even. Then our free anchor pulled out just enough to take it.
50 Free- 2nd place. A strong 2nd place finish less than a second behind, just behind one of his teammates who will be aging out of 10U soon.
50 Fly- 1st place. Dropped another second from his time which gets him about one more second to make the Regional times from last season (unsure if they update times annually or seasonally)
Free Relay- 1st place.

My younger son is still learning. Stopped kicking almost at all on both free and back which makes it really hard to make any progress in the water. :lmao:

My son wrapped up his first season of flag football. Only his second attempt at team (or any other) sport. He tried basketball back in Fall and didn't take to it. Fortunately he has a buddy at school whose dad has coached him for a few years and my son kept expressing interest. I of course was all for it, even though his mom is not super excited about the prospects of possibly having this parlay into tackle football.

Since it was my son's first time playing, they really didn't play him on offense much, and pretty much not at all the second half of the season. But he really improved on defense (playing linebacker). I am going to work with him myself on speed and footwork, and his buddy's dad said he will probably have some training sessions over the course of the summer since you're able to retain the same kids season to season.

They got to the championship game in their division a few weeks back and it went into multiple overtimes. One kid on his team totally miffed a perfect pass from the QB (who just so happens to be the only girl on the team... she rocks), and boy did we feel bad for him. Totally broke down in tears after the game and everything. Still, a 2nd place finish was pretty rewarding.

Man, if he can improve his footwork, speed and overall vision how I would love for him to move into tackle football and become a stud linebacker! I have a "football build" and of course live and breathe football (thanks, fantasy) but never actually played myself (unless you count the season of flag football at college). It'd be a dream of mine to have my kid play HS football. The HS he'll go to has a solid team, so he has a long road ahead even if we decide to take it that far.

My son wrapped up his first season of flag football. Only his second attempt at team (or any other) sport. He tried basketball back in Fall and didn't take to it. Fortunately he has a buddy at school whose dad has coached him for a few years and my son kept expressing interest. I of course was all for it, even though his mom is not super excited about the prospects of possibly having this parlay into tackle football.

Since it was my son's first time playing, they really didn't play him on offense much, and pretty much not at all the second half of the season. But he really improved on defense (playing linebacker). I am going to work with him myself on speed and footwork, and his buddy's dad said he will probably have some training sessions over the course of the summer since you're able to retain the same kids season to season.

They got to the championship game in their division a few weeks back and it went into multiple overtimes. One kid on his team totally miffed a perfect pass from the QB (who just so happens to be the only girl on the team... she rocks), and boy did we feel bad for him. Totally broke down in tears after the game and everything. Still, a 2nd place finish was pretty rewarding.

Man, if he can improve his footwork, speed and overall vision how I would love for him to move into tackle football and become a stud linebacker! I have a "football build" and of course live and breathe football (thanks, fantasy) but never actually played myself (unless you count the season of flag football at college). It'd be a dream of mine to have my kid play HS football. The HS he'll go to has a solid team, so he has a long road ahead even if we decide to take it that far.
How old is he again? 4th grade right?

If he took to it and you want to get him some extra development this summer check in with the local HS's around you. They should have camps for that age group. The way they work around here pretty standard whether private or public is 2 hours, give or take, for a week. The schools coaching staff and usually some of the players are there to coach/instruct. There is a Bo Jackson Sports Training complex near us and they have a football camp which my sons went to last year. It is a little longer 9-12. Like they are doing this summer, my kids did a lot of different sports camps. Rec, HS, club, etc. That was my older sons favorite camp and the only thing he asked for this summer. Our experience is that anything through the rec is usually little more than playing time. We are not doing any of them this year. I thought about some for my younger son but my older son has way outgrown them in terms of development. The good thing about the HS camps is that they get good development, they are cheaper and then they also get exposure to the coaching staff. As he gets older, if he gets better, that could help him in terms of playing for HS or even getting a private school. A big reason they do these camps is to drive recruiting for their programs.

If he took to it and you want to get him some extra development this summer check in with the local HS's around you. They should have camps for that age group. The way they work around here pretty standard whether private or public is 2 hours, give or take, for a week. The schools coaching staff and usually some of the players are there to coach/instruct. There is a Bo Jackson Sports Training complex near us and they have a football camp which my sons went to last year. It is a little longer 9-12. Like they are doing this summer, my kids did a lot of different sports camps. Rec, HS, club, etc. That was my older sons favorite camp and the only thing he asked for this summer. Our experience is that anything through the rec is usually little more than playing time. We are not doing any of them this year. I thought about some for my younger son but my older son has way outgrown them in terms of development. The good thing about the HS camps is that they get good development, they are cheaper and then they also get exposure to the coaching staff. As he gets older, if he gets better, that could help him in terms of playing for HS or even getting a private school. A big reason they do these camps is to drive recruiting for their programs.
Yeah he's finishing up 4th. The camps are fairly expensive and we already paid for his flag season in fall. Plus gotta pay for his big sister's volleyball league. Not sure if we'll be able to manage getting him into a camp over the summer. Definitely looked into them though.

Yeah he's finishing up 4th. The camps are fairly expensive and we already paid for his flag season in fall. Plus gotta pay for his big sister's volleyball league. Not sure if we'll be able to manage getting him into a camp over the summer. Definitely looked into them though.
Our HS coach is offering camps this summer and they have been very reasonable $ wise. A school sponsored event is prob the best bet.

I bought an agility ladder that came with a set of cones off Amazon. My son is all into it this summer. I just looked for some drills on YouTube. I think it will pay off come late summer.

Son's beach soccer tournament was fun but not a success. They played 3 games, starting at 2PM, so it was a long day and a bit of as struggle trying to get the 9 and 10 year olds to conserve energy on the beach. It was in the low 80s, so warm but not horrible and not great without shade.

They lost the first game 5-3 after taking a 2-0 lead. That team had the best player in their age group and he scored 4 of 5. They couldn't defend him well and was the only kid who could effectively dribble on the sand. My son didn't score and looked a little lost on how to be effective up top. Too many touches and not able to make space to get a shot off.

Next game they had like 25 shots against 3 for the other team and drew 1-1. My son scored a late equalizer with a nice finish. He and his team were very happy and they really celebrated that goal. Unfortunately they couldn't find another goal, which put them out of the playoffs.

They played a consolation game for their 3rd and won 8-1. It wasn't close and the ought team didn't have their heart in it. Glad to say that my son's team didn't lay down and kept up their energy and enthusiasm despite knowing they couldn't advance.

My son played OK overall. Joint top scorer on the team, but didn't really look good on the sand. Struggled with fitness after playing baseball this spring and not running as much.

How life changes as time progresses. When I started this thread 4 years ago, my son was the cat's meow on his high school basketball team. For those that haven't followed along, he stopped playing competitively when he finished high school (in reality, COVID finished his playing days). Since then, he's had neck surgery, had residual ankle issues, has back problems, and likely needs meniscus surgery in his knee. Sports are great, but they can take a toll.

He started his internship this week with PriceWaterhouseCoopers. He's flying to Dallas today for a conference on taxation. I remember 15 years ago when he first set foot on a basketball court and was making baskets when other kids could barely get the ball high enough to hit the net. I never imagined before what a combination of proud, sad, and old would feel like. Now I know.

Last edited:
There was a swim meet during the week and then we went to a bigger meet this Saturday.

For the dual meet Thursday, I knew it would not be a good showing as he was active in several sports camps through the week and was clearly tired. It went roughly as I expected with slower times for him.

All the camps ended on Thursday and I kept him home from swim practice so he could rest up.

He has the 50 and 100 Free and then the 50 Fly. On all events, he placed 5th.

Nothing much there to brag about except that he dropped another .98 seconds from his 50 free time which puts him .74 away from making the regional time cuts.

The next meet will be Conference which though we will get the official team list of who is on.... he will be on it. After that there is a intrasquad meet used to help kids close to times to make cut times for regionals. After that we have one more big meet and the season will be done unless he makes regionals.

He is also 3.63 short on 50 Fly.

I really thought he would make more progress on the Fly. On the meet on Sat, he added a few seconds. I didn't see why and I asked him and at first he said he didn't know and then later said it was his turn.

That 50 Free is so very close and reachable. I think the fly might be a a little too far this season but he also has a 'start and turn' clinic he will be going to next weekend so maybe that helps. I can see clearly that there is a lot of room for improvement on his starts and turns so maybe that will help him.

Accolades keep coming in from the season. Over the weekend the local area "papers" (mostly on line viewership now) announced their all area team for baseball. My son was selected as the Utility Player of the Year. I was a bit surprised by getting that level of acknowledgement. They awarded an MVP, Utility Player, Pitcher, Hitter, and Defender as Players of the year. Then a First, Second, and Honorable mention teams. His coach was also named as the Coach of the Year and was well deserving.

In addition we had been able to arrange a bullpen session in front of a Div 2 pitching coach over the weekend. It went very well as he was sitting at 82 with his fastball while his off speed was low to mid 60's and he hit his spots with all his pitches. The coach told him he was interested in him and was impressed with his location on all his pitches and that based on their discussions during the session he could tell he knew how to pitch (not just throw). The catcher for the session was the starting catcher from the team and he was also impressed and thought he had the stuff to play at that level. The only thing he was told he needed to improve was his velocity. The coach is looking for him to add 3-5 mph over the course of his senior season and will be watching his development over the year. He will be back in the area in December and wants to see him again to see how he has developed leading into his senior season. It was a promising first "tryout" in front of a college coach.

It's wonderful to hear about your journey as a sports-loving family and the memories you've created through your children's athletic pursuits. Sports have a way of bringing families together and creating lasting bonds. Here's a story from my own personal experience: One of my fondest memories is when my daughter, who played soccer, scored her first goal in a competitive game. She had been working hard in practice, improving her skills, and building her confidence. On that particular day, the ball was passed to her near the goal, and with determination, she struck it cleanly into the back of the net. The excitement and joy on her face were priceless. It was a moment of pure celebration not only for her but for our entire family and the team. It wasn't about winning a championship or breaking records; it was about the satisfaction of seeing her hard work pay off and witnessing her joy in that achievement. Sports have a way of teaching valuable life lessons as well. Through sports, our children learn about teamwork, perseverance, sportsmanship, and the importance of setting goals. It's not always about the outcome but the growth and development that happens along the way. I'm sure you have many more incredible stories to share, and I encourage you to continue reminiscing and cherishing those special moments. It's a testament to the dedication and support you've provided to your children throughout their athletic journeys. Enjoy these final months of your son's high school basketball season, and may it be filled with unforgettable moments and a sense of pride in how far he has come.
Thanks for posting. What I posted was several years ago, and his playing days have come and gone. Lots of memories, lots of friends made (for players and parents alike). Your story reminded me of our daughter. I can't remember if I posted this before on this or not.

One of our girls was an avid cheerleader for years and captain of her HS cheer squad, but she wanted to try something else. She ended up playing lacrosse (mostly because her brother played and was a star). To suggest she wasn't very good at it would be very understated. She was terrible. But she stuck at it all through high school and slowly improved from god awful to terrible to well below average to maybe not the worst kid on the team (MAYBE). The coach of the team had been there since the dawn of time and relished in having everyone of the girls that ever played on the team score a goal.

Our daughter was the epitome of a garbage time player. She usually would only play if the game was already decided or everyone else was out with the flu. She always tried hard and never gave up, but we got to her final game and her career goals scored total sat at zero. The coach said this was not acceptable, and she got inserted into the starting lineup for the first and only time in the final game of the season. The plan was pretty straight forward. Everyone was to feed her the ball. Since it was seniors night and a lot of kids were playing in their last game, the place was packed. Pretty soon everyone there knew what was happening . . . the players on both teams, the refs, the parents from both teams, and everyone else in attendance. It was like Kobe Bryant's last game when he jacked up 50 shots.

Everyone was rooting for her. It was like a World Cup soccer match. Every time she got the ball, the place went crazy with anticipated. Except there were two problems. For starters, she never played many minutes, so her playing pretty much the entire game wore her out. And second, she kept feeling the pressure and reverted back to her days of not being very good. She would drop passes. She would trip and fall. She would flub shots. Finally by the end of the game, she got a second wind and her confidence back and started playing like she deserved to be on the field. She started taking legit, hard shots at the goal. BING! BANG! BOOM! She NAILED the post on three straight shots. The groans from the crowd were deafening. Then everyone thought she finally scored . . . but the ball got caught in the OUTSIDE of the net. She ended up getting a couple of late breakaways (who knows how hard the other team was trying if at all by that point) and sailed one over the net and another wide to the left. Whether it made a difference or not, she never did score.

When the game ended, she got a standing ovation from the crowd. All the girls from both teams lined up and hugged her one at a time. A couple of her teammates had gotten flowers and gave them to her instead. That was almost 10 years ago to the day. She still says that is her favorite memory from high school. The outpouring of warmth and encouragement meant the world to her . . . and all that probably was magnified because she DIDN'T get a goal. All that for a player with a career shooting percentage of .000.

Those stories remind me of coaching basketball this last season for 4th grade boys. On the team, I have 4 very good players, 3 that were in the average ish area and then 2 kids that were in the bottom of the spectrum of ability out of our schools 3 teams but also I did not notice any other kids that were less skilled in the league.

Good kids. Good hearts. One is a very smart kid with very little natural athletic abilities. The other is similar in lacking natural athleticism but also struggles with significant ADHD.

Neither could shoot a free throw, so on free throw drills I had to move them up to just a few feet off the basket. At the start of the year the kid with ADHD couldn't even get the ball to the basket even right under it. I worked with both and both improved through the year but it would take a miracle to get them to score in a game in the natural course of a game.

Towards the end of the year, all the kids had scored multiple times except those two. At practice before the game, I told the team that the next game our goal was not to win but as a team to get those two to score. All of the their teammates totally bought into it. We put in a couple of plays designed to specifically get them open under the basket and I informed both of their parents that that game my intention would be playing those two kids the whole game until both scored.

We started the game and my direction was only those two would shoot. The job of the rest of the team was to help get them open and get them the ball.

We quickly started to lose. We did score but it was from offensive rebounds from my other kids. A ton of turnovers as the boys we were trying to get score had a hard time handling the ball. The one with ADHD at least half the time would not catch a pass thrown directly to him. They got more than a few shots off but just not really close. Finally we hit the mercy rule and the other team had to play defense within the paint. It took numerous shots from both of them but finally each scored. One of our schools teams played beforeour game and stayed to watch... all of them, all of the parents and our team went crazy when each scored.

Once the they both scored, I did pull them. They were both pretty tired as it was 2/3rd into the last half. Though we were down too much to have a real chance of a comeback I knew we would make a run and I wanted the other team to KNOW. I put in my best lineup and they quickly got out of mercy rule and did indeed make a run making it respectable loss.

I did it for the kids. That was my focus. I had some concern of the kids would feel like it "wasn't real" but I figured let's try and see. I never even thought about the parents. However, after I saw a FB post from both parents where they raved about it and how their kids got their first score. One of the mothers said something along the lines of there being various milestones in your kids lives but watching your son score his first basket was one she will always remember. It struck me hard as I never considered how meaningful it was to their parents too.

Last edited:
The other thing I don't think I've mentioned in here is just how into kids sports people get. I coached all sorts of teams in different sports for my kids, but the other thing I did was write articles for a half dozen local newspapers (back when newspapers were an actual thing). I had an advantage in that I am an actual writer for my job, but I did a couple of things differently. Rather than just write about the same superstar player or two every game, I rotated who got written up from game to game. I also wrote articles that made the games sound like professional games with dramatic flourishes, sometimes throwing in some perspective of the players, and generally making it read like an actual sports article.

Families went nuts over this, and when they saw an article with their kid's name in the paper, they would buy out every copy they could find. When there was an article that focused on their kid, they would actually call the paper and pay to have the article or picture of their kid for them to frame and hang on their wall. Given that I got paid the same as I did to coach ($0.00), this was free money for the papers. So many people were into reading my articles about elementary or middle school sports, they started giving me more space than they did for high school sports (and sometimes cut down their coverage devoted to professional teams).

This provided a huge sense of community and led to huge participation. Teachers started coming to games to watch their students. Students started coming to games to support their friends. Extended families started making attendance a weekly outing complete with tailgating and picnics (at least for football games). Neighbors started showing up for games for the kid that lived across the street. Coworkers would show up because of the enthusiasm they had for their coworker in talking up the games. Local businesses started contributing more money to the town rec program. Attendance at games went from tens of people to hundreds of people. It was awesome and fun while it lasted.

But other sports and teams started complaining to the papers that they didn't get any coverage. The papers started to lose readers when people pivoted to online reading. Places started really cutting down what they printed on kids sports. Even things they posted online mostly went away. I've gone by games in various sports now and there's hardly anyone there. I feel badly for the kids these days. It's just not the same.

But other sports and teams started complaining to the papers that they didn't get any coverage. The papers started to lose readers when people pivoted to online reading. Places started really cutting down what they printed on kids sports. Even things they posted online mostly went away. I've gone by games in various sports now and there's hardly anyone there. I feel badly for the kids these days. It's just not the same.
This is a shame especially for local papers. There is nothing worse (especially in today's interwebz access) then the local "paper" (mostly online now) having world news dominating or other things that really have nothing to do with community taking up the space. Having some community pride (and sports is a great way for that) by local articles about local people/kids/activities would be great for the sense of community. It is sorely missed in many areas.

As far as youth sports and how those articles would work today I am not sure if what you did would be looked as a positive or negative on the whole. I could really see parents throwing fits because you didn't highlight their kid and why is Bobby getting all the attention (when he got one paragraph in the paper his entire life). I also think local youth sports is close to extinction compared to what it once was. With travel ball, specialization, etc what I remember as youth sports has drastically changed. It's a shame but it is the reality of overzealous parents. I wonder if there was the sense of community and support as you described could bring back some of the numbers to get youth sports back but I doubt it.

This is a shame especially for local papers. There is nothing worse (especially in today's interwebz access) then the local "paper" (mostly online now) having world news dominating or other things that really have nothing to do with community taking up the space. Having some community pride (and sports is a great way for that) by local articles about local people/kids/activities would be great for the sense of community. It is sorely missed in many areas.

As far as youth sports and how those articles would work today I am not sure if what you did would be looked as a positive or negative on the whole. I could really see parents throwing fits because you didn't highlight their kid and why is Bobby getting all the attention (when he got one paragraph in the paper his entire life). I also think local youth sports is close to extinction compared to what it once was. With travel ball, specialization, etc what I remember as youth sports has drastically changed. It's a shame but it is the reality of overzealous parents. I wonder if there was the sense of community and support as you described could bring back some of the numbers to get youth sports back but I doubt it.
Like anything else, it's all in the presentation. On most teams, my son was the star of the team (mostly because he was bigger / stronger / faster than other kids) and had games with 200+ yards rushing. I actually logged every play of every game and took notes on who did what on each play, so I had a play-by-play breakdown available to me (as well as having the ability to compile end of game and season long stats).

But I would describe plays where PLAYER X made a key block that sprung him for a TD. That led into naming the offensive lineman for that game and describing how well they've played together after struggling together early on. Then a few lines after interviewing that one blocker and why he decided to play football. Then maybe a couple other comments from one of the coaches about PLAYER X. At the end, I would single out the names of some other kids that played well or had some contributions in the game, and my job was done. The beauty part was that the kids listed at the end may not have done much that game, but no one cared, and everyone was thrilled to see that a kid that basically played special teams got his name in the paper.

It worked the same way on defense. We could have been playing a completely overmatched team, but I would describe it as them playing suffocating team defense, only allowing two first downs, and PLAYER Y living in the backfield and wreaking havoc on every possession. Some of that could have been true, but it mostly stemmed from the other team having to play a kid on the OL that hadn't really played before because their regular tackle was hurt. But the rest of that PLAYER Y's life, his family would always remember that one game where he played like Lawrence Taylor and had three sacks and a fumble recovery. The proof was hanging on the wall (even though the kid is 25 years old now). Truth be told, most people didn't care what a defensive player ever did . . . but the family did, and families of other players knew their kid's write up was coming eventually.

Depending upon which paper it was, how much space they had available, and what other teams submitted an article, my story could get printed in its entirety or get pared down to two lines with the score and my kid rushing for 200 yards. I always found it interesting what got published compared to what I actually wrote. There were times I wrote really great articles that no one printed. There were other times all 6 papers printed something completely different. Some places would post my articles online (which made the most sense), and they would be people would share links all the time on Facebook.

Since then, the organizations, coaches, and media outlets migrated away from the strategy of writing about all the kids. They all wanted to give all the attention to ONE kid . . . the one who could make the big time if he got enough coverage and could get recruited. I get that side of things, too. Write about the kid that scored 43 points in a basketball game, not the one that got his first basket. It's more interesting discussing the kid that had 3 HR and 8 RBI than the slick fielding shortstop that saved three runs. Now it's hard to even get publicity on that. Instead, it's YouTube videos and tweets instead.

This provided a huge sense of community and led to huge participation. Teachers started coming to games to watch their students. Students started coming to games to support their friends. Extended families started making attendance a weekly outing complete with tailgating and picnics (at least for football games). Neighbors started showing up for games for the kid that lived across the street. Coworkers would show up because of the enthusiasm they had for their coworker in talking up the games. Local businesses started contributing more money to the town rec program. Attendance at games went from tens of people to hundreds of people. It was awesome and fun while it lasted.
That's what youth sports should have always been all about.

When my son's travel baseball team was 13U, a team from another league joined the one we had been in since 8U. For our double-header with them at their field, they had a cookout between games and had made enough for both teams (and us parents) to have as well. Sadly, this was a one-off thing but it would have been a great reminder that we were all out there for the same thing and foster a sense of community.

Depending upon which paper it was, how much space they had available, and what other teams submitted an article, my story could get printed in its entirety or get pared down to two lines with the score and my kid rushing for 200 yards. I always found it interesting what got published compared to what I actually wrote. There were times I wrote really great articles that no one printed. There were other times all 6 papers printed something completely different. Some places would post my articles online (which made the most sense), and they would be people would share links all the time on Facebook.
When I was coaching high school JV baseball I did something similar. It was the only way we could get any recognition for our players as the paper never sent a "reporter" to any of our games. So I would write up a blurb and I don't know how many times they screwed up the blurb by misspelling names, putting wrong names in places or just leaving out the key points. All they had to do was copy and paste from the email and they screwed it up all the time. Very frustrating and got to the point that it wasn't even worth my time to do.

When my son's travel baseball team was 13U, a team from another league joined the one we had been in since 8U. For our double-header with them at their field, they had a cookout between games and had made enough for both teams (and us parents) to have as well. Sadly, this was a one-off thing but it would have been a great reminder that we were all out there for the same thing and foster a sense of community.
This is tough to do these days as more often than not the parents of opposing teams are already fighting in the stands over calls, plays, etc and are more worried about winning a 13U game then actually having their kids learn/develop/enjoy the competition where there are losers and winners and everyone is gracious being on whatever side they happened to be that day.

Occasionally you will have teams that you mesh with on a philosophical level of how to play/teach the game but more often than not it's everyone out for themselves and that "community" feel is gone.

We did some things similar to this. Some worked, some didn't. For one of the football teams, one of the families would show up Friday nights with pizza for everyone. That was nice and sounded like a good thing. Problem number one was the kids would eat and then go out and practice, and there would always be someone that overate and puked all over the field. The other issue was they would bring alcohol and a bunch of the parents would get rowdy and inappropriate. A couple times the cops were called and it got ugly and embarrassing. The other issue was the family was trying to buy their kid a more prominent role on the team. The family ended up out of pocket buying the team new uniforms (home and away when all other teams only had one uniform), new helmets, warm up suits, t-shirts, and jackets. The family was loaded and what they pitched in didn't even make a dent to them. We were grateful they shelled out all that money, but it made things uncomfortable for the coaching staff.

Another thing we tried a different year was several times a season we held potluck dinner at practices. The team mom would make a list of who was bringing what, and each family would bring something. A couple of the dads and coaches would grill, and the parents and their other kids would hang out and eat while the boys practiced. That team was smarter, as they didn't let the kids eat until after practice was done. That one worked out pretty well until no one picked up after themselves and they left trash all over the place (the field, the rest of the park, the parking lot, on the side of the road, etc.). Eventually it fizzled out, as some people complained that they were having to bring expensive stuff every time while other families had to bring cheap stuff (like napkins). That annoyed the heck out of me, and I told people if the money they were chipping in was an issue, I would reimburse them, but I wasn't about to go grocery shopping and buy all the stuff myself for 35 kids, plus coaches, parents, and siblings on top of that.

One thing we did for HS basketball that worked great was one night a week we had a pasta night. Each family would take a turn hosting and cooking, another family would come and assist them, and all the kids would go eat and hang out, whether that meant practicing outside, playing video games, watching a movie, etc. That part was great. Part two of that was even better. All the other parents on pasta night then went to a local watering hole for dinner and drinks. We all swapped stories about the kids, whether it be on sports, siblings, school, vacations, etc. The wives would share recipes, the guys talked about work and professional sports teams, and everyone had a great time. A lot of times people were well lubricated, so people let their collective hair down. Those nights were fun.

We did some things similar to this. Some worked, some didn't. For one of the football teams, one of the families would show up Friday nights with pizza for everyone. That was nice and sounded like a good thing. Problem number one was the kids would eat and then go out and practice, and there would always be someone that overate and puked all over the field. The other issue was they would bring alcohol and a bunch of the parents would get rowdy and inappropriate. A couple times the cops were called and it got ugly and embarrassing. The other issue was the family was trying to buy their kid a more prominent role on the team. The family ended up out of pocket buying the team new uniforms (home and away when all other teams only had one uniform), new helmets, warm up suits, t-shirts, and jackets. The family was loaded and what they pitched in didn't even make a dent to them. We were grateful they shelled out all that money, but it made things uncomfortable for the coaching staff.

Another thing we tried a different year was several times a season we held potluck dinner at practices. The team mom would make a list of who was bringing what, and each family would bring something. A couple of the dads and coaches would grill, and the parents and their other kids would hang out and eat while the boys practiced. That team was smarter, as they didn't let the kids eat until after practice was done. That one worked out pretty well until no one picked up after themselves and they left trash all over the place (the field, the rest of the park, the parking lot, on the side of the road, etc.). Eventually it fizzled out, as some people complained that they were having to bring expensive stuff every time while other families had to bring cheap stuff (like napkins). That annoyed the heck out of me, and I told people if the money they were chipping in was an issue, I would reimburse them, but I wasn't about to go grocery shopping and buy all the stuff myself for 35 kids, plus coaches, parents, and siblings on top of that.

One thing we did for HS basketball that worked great was one night a week we had a pasta night. Each family would take a turn hosting and cooking, another family would come and assist them, and all the kids would go eat and hang out, whether that meant practicing outside, playing video games, watching a movie, etc. That part was great. Part two of that was even better. All the other parents on pasta night then went to a local watering hole for dinner and drinks. We all swapped stories about the kids, whether it be on sports, siblings, school, vacations, etc. The wives would share recipes, the guys talked about work and professional sports teams, and everyone had a great time. A lot of times people were well lubricated, so people let their collective hair down. Those nights were fun.
When I was playing youth baseball we used to go to the local pizza place after every game as a team with all the parents, siblings, etc. Some teams would be just a few players and families but one year we had everyone virtually every time. It didn't matter what time our game was on Saturday we would go after it. Sometimes we would be there from 10am until they closed. The kids would end up playing in the parking lot and once they closed more often than not we all would end up at one of the players houses and continued the party from there. Usually ended up having the kids spend the night and the parents somehow got home (back in the day when DUI wasn't as frowned upon). It was the greatest team I have ever been part of. We were so close as friends (everyone) and the parents all contributed to the fun. We ended up winning the championship as well. Just a great experience.

Contrast that to my kids teams and it was like pulling teeth to do anything team related after games because everyone's families were stretched so thin with other siblings games, dances, parents working, etc. Nobody had any time to do that kind of thing. It's so crazy how busy life got in the time from me going from kid playing to parent coaching. I still don't believe it changed so much and I think it is a big reason youth sports has gotten out of control.

When I was playing youth baseball we used to go to the local pizza place after every game as a team with all the parents, siblings, etc. Some teams would be just a few players and families but one year we had everyone virtually every time. It didn't matter what time our game was on Saturday we would go after it. Sometimes we would be there from 10am until they closed. The kids would end up playing in the parking lot and once they closed more often than not we all would end up at one of the players houses and continued the party from there. Usually ended up having the kids spend the night and the parents somehow got home (back in the day when DUI wasn't as frowned upon). It was the greatest team I have ever been part of. We were so close as friends (everyone) and the parents all contributed to the fun. We ended up winning the championship as well. Just a great experience.

Contrast that to my kids teams and it was like pulling teeth to do anything team related after games because everyone's families were stretched so thin with other siblings games, dances, parents working, etc. Nobody had any time to do that kind of thing. It's so crazy how busy life got in the time from me going from kid playing to parent coaching. I still don't believe it changed so much and I think it is a big reason youth sports has gotten out of control.
My son's travel ball experience was similar to yours, and I think the main reason was that most of the boys knew each other before the team was formed. They all played different sports with and against each other for the same organization, went to the same schools and lived within 1-2 miles of each other. What I did witness during my son's travel ball days was the move away from this model and more towards wanting to play for more competitive teams where winning was the top priority; that, or going to a team where the kid would get more playing time. It creates a less recreational feel and more mechanical one in its place. I saw a lot of kids on both ends of the talent spectrum go from team to team, chasing either more prestige or the promise of more playing time, for which I believe the parents should take much of the blame.

Truth be told, most people didn't care what a defensive player ever did . . . but the family did, and families of other players knew their kid's write up was coming eventually.
That is the key... for all sports there has to be some sort of connection for you to care.

You either have to LOVE the sport (few do of any sport enough to just watch a game regardless of level)
Or be connected to the game in some way, be it the organization (club, school, etc) or most often the players/coaches involved. Most people are not going to watch kids play a sport unless they are connected to one of the kids. If their kid does something great and it makes the paper- absolutely back in the day your family would go around town buying up all the papers they could get their hands on. The town newspaper was a big thing and with no Facebook or even internet back in those days that you could brag about your kid or keep something to show that one time they did so well they made the newspaper.

For other readers, I think what you did was connect then in the human interest of the story telling. Like where you mentioned interviewing a kid and why he plays football etc. I am sure you crafted the writing where the readers who had no real connection to the organization or kids or sport enjoyed it because they were connected by what you wrote.

We certainly live in a different world. There is so much available now to 'read' through the internet that connecting by human interest seems to have lost interest to many people.

We did something similar one year with my son's travel hockey team. Was the opening Sunday of the NFL season, and we had a team come in from out of town to play two games. We hosted a cookout for both teams and their families in between games, the rink owner grilled burgers and dogs for us, everyone brought something, set up cornhole and spikeball games for the players, had a couple of TVs showing the games. Was really a great way to kick off our season.

There was talk of making it a yearly thing, but that didn't end up happening, which was a shame.

Those stories remind me of coaching basketball this last season for 4th grade boys. On the team, I have 4 very good players, 3 that were in the average ish area and then 2 kids that were in the bottom of the spectrum of ability out of our schools 3 teams but also I did not notice any other kids that were less skilled in the league.

Good kids. Good hearts. One is a very smart kid with very little natural athletic abilities. The other is similar in lacking natural athleticism but also struggles with significant ADHD.

Neither could shoot a free throw, so on free throw drills I had to move them up to just a few feet off the basket. At the start of the year the kid with ADHD couldn't even get the ball to the basket even right under it. I worked with both and both improved through the year but it would take a miracle to get them to score in a game in the natural course of a game.

Towards the end of the year, all the kids had scored multiple times except those two. At practice before the game, I told the team that the next game our goal was not to win but as a team to get those two to score. All of the their teammates totally bought into it. We put in a couple of plays designed to specifically get them open under the basket and I informed both of their parents that that game my intention would be playing those two kids the whole game until both scored.

We started the game and my direction was only those two would shoot. The job of the rest of the team was to help get them open and get them the ball.

We quickly started to lose. We did score but it was from offensive rebounds from my other kids. A ton of turnovers as the boys we were trying to get score had a hard time handling the ball. The one with ADHD at least half the time would not catch a pass thrown directly to him. They got more than a few shots off but just not really close. Finally we hit the mercy rule and the other team had to play defense within the paint. It took numerous shots from both of them but finally each scored. One of our schools teams played beforeour game and stayed to watch... all of them, all of the parents and our team went crazy when each scored.

Once the they both scored, I did pull them. They were both pretty tired as it was 2/3rd into the last half. Though we were down too much to have a real chance of a comeback I knew we would make a run and I wanted the other team to KNOW. I put in my best lineup and they quickly got out of mercy rule and did indeed make a run making it respectable loss.

I did it for the kids. That was my focus. I had some concern of the kids would feel like it "wasn't real" but I figured let's try and see. I never even thought about the parents. However, after I saw a FB post from both parents where they raved about it and how their kids got their first score. One of the mothers said something along the lines of there being various milestones in your kids lives but watching your son score his first basket was one she will always remember. It struck me hard as I never considered how meaningful it was to their parents too.
That's awesome when a team can pull together like that for their teammates. Kudos to you for giving those two players something to remember and feel good about.

in my son's first year of 14U travel hockey, we were playing at home in one of our last games of the year. One of his teammates (who he had played with since mites) hadn't hit his growth spurt yet and was about a foot and half shorter than anyone else on the team. Fast, intelligent player though. 14U is the age where checking is first allowed, and this kid had a rough season, due to the physicality and size difference, and was the only skater who hadn't scored yet on the season.

Coach puts him out with PP1 late in the game (we were up by a lot, 6-0 or something at that point), and the boys are all trying to set him up for one. He ends up getting a goal, and our bench goes absolutely crazy, cheering, kicking the boards, etc.

Ref comes over to me (doing the scoresheet), gives me the goal call, and then says he's giving us a 2 minute bench minor for unsportsmanlike conduct. I said ok, and then politely asked why. He stated that we were showing up the other team by celebrating a goal that put us up by 7 or whatever. I told him ok, but then told him the situation, that this was this kid's first goal after a very hard season for him, and his teammates were just very happy for him and not trying to show up the other team at all. He looked at me for a second and then said "nevermind" and skated to center ice for the faceoff.

Was the only time I ever talked a ref out of a call. That assist was a career highlight for my son, and you could just see the confidence grow in his buddy from that point on.

The other thing I don't think I've mentioned in here is just how into kids sports people get. I coached all sorts of teams in different sports for my kids, but the other thing I did was write articles for a half dozen local newspapers (back when newspapers were an actual thing). I had an advantage in that I am an actual writer for my job, but I did a couple of things differently. Rather than just write about the same superstar player or two every game, I rotated who got written up from game to game. I also wrote articles that made the games sound like professional games with dramatic flourishes, sometimes throwing in some perspective of the players, and generally making it read like an actual sports article.

Families went nuts over this, and when they saw an article with their kid's name in the paper, they would buy out every copy they could find. When there was an article that focused on their kid, they would actually call the paper and pay to have the article or picture of their kid for them to frame and hang on their wall. Given that I got paid the same as I did to coach ($0.00), this was free money for the papers. So many people were into reading my articles about elementary or middle school sports, they started giving me more space than they did for high school sports (and sometimes cut down their coverage devoted to professional teams).

I still have newspaper clippings from the 80s where I got mentioned in the local paper’s reporting on summer baseball games. Still fun all these years later.

This is one thing about rugby I find nice - the after match social. My son made comments this season about other kids from the prior year he socialized with after the game.

That's awesome when a team can pull together like that for their teammates. Kudos to you for giving those two players something to remember and feel good about.

in my son's first year of 14U travel hockey, we were playing at home in one of our last games of the year. One of his teammates (who he had played with since mites) hadn't hit his growth spurt yet and was about a foot and half shorter than anyone else on the team. Fast, intelligent player though. 14U is the age where checking is first allowed, and this kid had a rough season, due to the physicality and size difference, and was the only skater who hadn't scored yet on the season.

Coach puts him out with PP1 late in the game (we were up by a lot, 6-0 or something at that point), and the boys are all trying to set him up for one. He ends up getting a goal, and our bench goes absolutely crazy, cheering, kicking the boards, etc.

Ref comes over to me (doing the scoresheet), gives me the goal call, and then says he's giving us a 2 minute bench minor for unsportsmanlike conduct. I said ok, and then politely asked why. He stated that we were showing up the other team by celebrating a goal that put us up by 7 or whatever. I told him ok, but then told him the situation, that this was this kid's first goal after a very hard season for him, and his teammates were just very happy for him and not trying to show up the other team at all. He looked at me for a second and then said "nevermind" and skated to center ice for the faceoff.

Was the only time I ever talked a ref out of a call. That assist was a career highlight for my son, and you could just see the confidence grow in his buddy from that point on.
I was really proud of the boys through it all. They are a really competitive group of boys so I wasn't sure how they would react to being told "our goal is not to win this game" but each one of them was instantly on board. They all cheered when each scored. After the game they all got excited that their teammates scored and we made our goal regardless of taking the biggest loss of the season. I honestly can't say that I would have reacted the same way at that age. They are a good group of boys. I think that that game was right up there with the semi-final and championship games where both were really good, hard fought and close games that we won. You got to love sports for that power.

My son is playing in a few 6u baseball tournaments this weekend. They’ve played in two tournaments and won them both.

Last Sunday he had a diving stop at 2nd base and threw the runner out at first from his knees.

He ended the championship game by catching a fly ball in left center and doubled the runner off first with a throw our first basemen caught in the air from the outfield.

His defense for a 6u player is off the charts good.

Users who are viewing this thread