What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

College Football NCG thread Bama v Clemson (1 Viewer)

I had no clue it was on last night. Maybe a Friday or Saturday night would have been better?
Anyone hear a ratings number?
"The 2016 College Football Playoff National Championship Game between Alabama and Clemson received a 15.8 overnight rating for Monday night's telecast on ESPN.

John Ourand of the Sports Business Journal passed along word of the rating from the Crimson Tide's triumph Tuesday, which he notes is a 15 percent drop from the 2015 title game.

USA Today noted last year's championship clash between Ohio State and Oregon received an 18.2 rating and 33,395,000 viewers."

I had no clue it was on last night. Maybe a Friday or Saturday night would have been better?
"The 2016 College Football Playoff National Championship Game between Alabama and Clemson received a 15.8 overnight rating for Monday night's telecast on ESPN.

John Ourand of the Sports Business Journal passed along word of the rating from the Crimson Tide's triumph Tuesday, which he notes is a 15 percent drop from the 2015 title game.

USA Today noted last year's championship clash between Ohio State and Oregon received an 18.2 rating and 33,395,000 viewers."
That is a pretty big slump. I suspect two things- the night. Monday night seems to me to be the fourth choice after Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Second, people are prob sick of Alabama being there and turned some off.

That is a pretty big slump. I suspect two things- the night. Monday night seems to me to be the fourth choice after Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Second, people are prob sick of Alabama being there and turned some off.
It's been on Monday for several years now, including when it broke the record last year. No doubt there is some Bama Fatigue. Clemson is not a big market either. And both markets watch college football every year anyway...Birmingham was in the top 5 market shares for last year...so there was no upside compared to last year and the big Ohio markets dropped off in a big way.

This rating matches the '08 Florida-Oklahoma BCS Champ game...which was the 8th biggest BCS Champ game.

Saban now has a higher win percentage than Bear, and has won 4 Titles to Bears 6 in less than half as many games.

I don't think anyone could argue that the level of competition now vs then is much, much higher as well.

One could argue that the longevity and sustained success is part of Bear's greatness (thus why Saban hasn't passed him, yet)... But there is little doubt Saban's resume at this stage of his career decimates Bryant's.
What do you mean by level of competition? Honestly, I would wonder if the level of competition is less even now. Think about it. Saban can recruit kids from everywhere. When Bryant was the coach, was he pulling the 5 star kids from CA and FL and all other states? There are a lot more kids and schools, but seems like Alabama has a chance every year just based on the recruits they pull in. I am not sure you could say the same thing with many years ago. Probably less top schools, so maybe it all evens out. Honestly, I have no idea, just thought about where Saban can recruit now with ease compared to years before the Internet and 24 hour news/scouting info/etc.

Saban now has a higher win percentage than Bear, and has won 4 Titles to Bears 6 in less than half as many games.

I don't think anyone could argue that the level of competition now vs then is much, much higher as well.

One could argue that the longevity and sustained success is part of Bear's greatness (thus why Saban hasn't passed him, yet)... But there is little doubt Saban's resume at this stage of his career decimates Bryant's.
What do you mean by level of competition? Honestly, I would wonder if the level of competition is less even now. Think about it. Saban can recruit kids from everywhere. When Bryant was the coach, was he pulling the 5 star kids from CA and FL and all other states? There are a lot more kids and schools, but seems like Alabama has a chance every year just based on the recruits they pull in. I am not sure you could say the same thing with many years ago. Probably less top schools, so maybe it all evens out. Honestly, I have no idea, just thought about where Saban can recruit now with ease compared to years before the Internet and 24 hour news/scouting info/etc.
Right off the top of my head I know he got Joe Namath from Pennsylvania.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread