What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Bo Nix, DEN (6 Viewers)

Kurt Warner
Next QB of college #StudyBall series is #BoNix, he’s played really well & in most pro-type system in terms of # of concepts & multitude of reads they asked him to make, but biggest ? Is how do his physical skills measure up? Here’s Part 1 @QBConfidential

Accordingly Nix entered Auburn as the top QB recruit in the country, obviously with sky-high expectation. Watching him vs Georgia & So. Carolina ('20) & vs Mississippi St. ('21), seeing that which scouting reports point to as concerning is unavoidable. But from what I saw, the throws that he didn't make were throws he has made! Bo Nix has certainly had his share of adversity. I feel what's important is how a player responds to it. Cross reference Bo Nix & "improved footwork". Check his profile @ NFL Draft Tracker, look for "great improvement" with respect to his pocket presence!

This player definitely possesses traits that translate well to the next level. His performance under pressure was impressive as was his ability to avoid taking negative plays. Arm strength isn't elite but his set to release time is very quick. I've seen him set, as if to throw right & instantly pivot & square to his target along the backside boundary! Grip of the ball is excellent, waves it all around. Really like Bo Nix, believe he'd a great fit to run Kliff Kingsbury's Air Raid!

I read an article about Rattler that described Nix as Andy Dalton 2.0 and I was like, yeah, that's it. It encapsulates my thought exactly.

Chris Simms
Love that Bo Nix has the ability to anticipate big plays coming open and go for the big play rather than being quick to take a checkdown. Fun explanation here:
I often think Chris Simms was a nepo-hire. Bo Nix is the definition of a guy too quick to take a checkdown. Its one of the first things you see about him, that and messy mechanics are his main knocks.

He's not without strengths (I don't hate the guy) he's got a good arm, good mobility, and reacts very well to pressure.

If they are unable to trade up (and I'm starting to think unless their 2025 1st is involved, they are gonna have trouble) Minnesota would be a really good fit.

A consideration for the Seahawks at 16, gotta be! The Go Bo train, it's infectious! :) Went & looked, after that pick Seattle doesn't select again until well into the 3rd rd with the 81st pick. Which would just be wasting each other's time.

A consideration for the Seahawks at 16, gotta be! The Go Bo train, it's infectious! :) Went & looked, after that pick Seattle doesn't select again until well into the 3rd rd with the 81st pick. Which would just be wasting each other's time.
Seattle would be an odd fit to me. They don't really need a QB with a solid starter in Geno and trading for Howell, who is younger than Nix. Might be moot anyway if QBs go higher than expected.

.... Might be moot anyway if QBs go higher than expected.
Seattle met with him for some reason, but I do see your point. Still feel a great fit for Nix would be running the Air Raid for the Commanders! Found a plausible scenario I like even better. They go to the podium & announce a 3-way deal. The Raiders trade Davante Adams to the Jets for their 1st RD pick (10th overall). The Raiders trade the 10th & 13th overall selections along with their 2025 1st RD pick to Washington. Nix is there at 10 & they take him! lol

Notes from the Reception Perecption podcast:

Adjusted accuracy is pretty good, not as good as Daniels
Puts the ball where he wants to, but might lack arm strength outside the #s
Deep accuracy is really good, puts it in the bucket on 9 routes
Open window success rate best in class
That success rate doesn't include screen passes
Didn't throw many outs and digs which are important nfl throws
Difficult to profile from RPO based offense featuring screens and checkdowns
Excels in play action game
Like Penix and Daniels had a great OL and struggled to make throws under pressure
Creative and athletic out of the pocket
Effective with QB designed runs

Round 2 grade, best fit is Denver
Good contingency plan for MIami if they don't want to pay Tua

.... Might be moot anyway if QBs go higher than expected.
Seattle met with him for some reason, but I do see your point. Still feel a great fit for Nix would be running the Air Raid for the Commanders! Found a plausible scenario I like even better. They go to the podium & announce a 3-way deal. The Raiders trade Davante Adams to the Jets for their 1st RD pick (10th overall). The Raiders trade the 10th & 13th overall selections along with their 2025 1st RD pick to Washington. Nix is there at 10 & they take him! lol
I would be a bit surprised if someone paid a top ten pick for a 31 year old receiver, but if is up to Aaron Rodgers there is a chance.

I would be a bit surprised if someone paid a top ten pick for a 31 year old receiver, but if is up to Aaron Rodgers there is a chance.
Totally agree but the Jets have pursued Adams before. On the other end, dated comments at this point, Adams was quoted as saying he isn't interested in being part of a rebuild & his career clock is ticking. That 10th overall, are the Jets getting a WR with the experience, talent & rapport with Rodgers that they'd get w/Adams? Are the Raiders getting the QB they want with the 13th pick or later in the draft? If not, keeping Adams to help with developing or whatever it is they're going to try with the guy they end up with doesn't seem like the most effective use of resources.

Then, we have Dan Quinn confirming that QB is a priority, but where in the draft they select that player hasn't been determined. Meaning, they are entertaining offers to move back. Watching Faust's link to Kurt Warner & a 2nd game he breaks down (below), Nix needs to be more consistent with setting his feet toward his target. The other thing is his followthrough, he's often throwing off his back foot & worse, even fading at times. Square up, plant that drive foot & come through your delivery. Warner is like, if he does this it will not only improve velocity but his accuracy as well. Watching him, there are plays where he is set toward his target & doesn't fade. Maybe he is a bum, but I think he's a lot closer than his detractors suggest.

@Faust

Great stuff!!! Really impressed with Bo's ability to diagnose coverages. He takes them through some of what happened at Auburn, an experience he speaks highly of. Love that both he & Drake Maye hooked up with Philip Rivers & that he can't wait be coached at the NFL level, absorb what they're telling him.

Next, poor decisions and panic throws? HE COMPLETED 77.2% OF HIS PASSES!!!!
Nix seems to have a habit of stepping up in the pocket but not resetting himself before he throws. In other word he is throwing on the run instead of establishing a firm base. I wouldn’t call it “panicking” but it’s not ideal. Just because he threw for a high completion percentage doesn’t mean the throws were accurate. I saw many throws that were caught but could have lead to more YAC if the location was better. In some instances he was bailed out by the receiver. It seems he has some wonky foot work that leads to the bad tosses. His decision making seems fine.
Mariota played soccer all his life and was more accurate on the run and less the more they fixed him.
Lamar had something similar to above as a critique.
On and on
Is Nix another sport guy where he's used to moving around all the time?

What round will he get drafted? I wouldn’t waste a high pick on him In dynasty, SuperFlex or otherwise.

What round will he get drafted? I wouldn’t waste a high pick on him In dynasty, SuperFlex or otherwise.

Not sure how you can say he's a wasted pick in SF without knowing when and where he will be drafted in the NFL draft...that seems very close-minded.

Not sure how you can say he's a wasted pick in SF without knowing when and where he will be drafted in the NFL draft...that seems very close-minded.
I’m not convinced he will be a successful QB in the NFL. That’s why, regardless of where he lands.

I’m not convinced he will be a successful QB in the NFL. That’s why.

I guess we look at things differently...I have strong feelings (both good and bad) on players but I always allow myself to be influenced otherwise based on actual results/data...an example here would be if Sean Payton were to use the Broncos (or the Vikings and O'Connell) 1st-round pick on Nix I don't know how you could not have that influence how you feel about the player...especially in a SF-format.

I guess we look at things differently...I have strong feelings (both good and bad) on players but I always allow myself to be influenced otherwise based on actual results/data...an example here would be if Sean Payton were to use the Broncos (or the Vikings and O'Connell) 1st-round pick on Nix I don't know how you could not have that influence how you feel about the player...especially in a SF-format.
I think his ceiling is limited. He wasn’t very good in the SEC for 3 years. I’m not forgetting that. The style of play at Oregon can inflate a QBs stats. Yes, he did improve, but In three seasons with the Auburn Tigers from 2019 through 2021, Bo Nix completed 59.4% of his passes for 6.9 yards per attempt, 39 touchdowns, 16 interceptions. I suppose I still remember that.

Last edited:

I think his ceiling is limited. He wasn’t very good in the SEC for 3 years. I’m not forgetting that. The style of play at Oregon can inflate a QBs stats. Yes, he did improve, but In three seasons with the Auburn Tigers from 2019 through 2021, Bo Nix completed 59.4% of his passe for 6.9 yards per attempt, 39 touchdowns, 16 interceptions. I suppose I still remember that.

Those stats from 2 years ago in a totally different offense are valid warning signs but if you are digging your heels in and would still dismiss him after 2 excellent years at Oregon (where Herbert just came from) and getting drafted high (I am speculating on that) I think you put yourself at risk of missing on a player due to being inflexible...as far as Nix specifically I see the pluses and minuses on him but I will ultimately let where (and by who) he gets drafted have a big influence on his value.

I think his ceiling is limited. He wasn’t very good in the SEC for 3 years. I’m not forgetting that. The style of play at Oregon can inflate a QBs stats. Yes, he did improve, but In three seasons with the Auburn Tigers from 2019 through 2021, Bo Nix completed 59.4% of his passe for 6.9 yards per attempt, 39 touchdowns, 16 interceptions. I suppose I still remember that.

Those stats from 2 years ago in a totally different offense are valid warning signs but if you are digging your heels in and would still dismiss him after 2 excellent years at Oregon (where Herbert just came from) and getting drafted high (I am speculating on that) I think you put yourself at risk of missing on a player due to being inflexible...as far as Nix specifically I see the pluses and minuses on him but I will ultimately let where (and by who) he gets drafted have a big influence on his value.
Sure, if I can get him in the 4th round or a waiver wire pickup in a start 1QB league. I don’t play SF right now.

Sure, if I can get him in the 4th round or a waiver wire pickup in a start 1QB league. I don’t play SF right now.

A good part of our back and fourth was based on you saying he would be a wasted pick in SF.

A good part of our back and fourth was based on you saying he would be a wasted pick in SF.
How high are you willing to go in SF?

How high are you willing to go in SF?

As stated above all depends on when and where he gets drafted...I feel the same way about Penix...they are two players that I think could have very large swings from high to low as to where they get drafted...if he/they go in the second-round I don't have much interest (unless it is to a spot without a legit QB like New England) but if he/they go to Denver or Minny in the 1st they become legit 1st-rounders in SF.

I’m not convinced he will be a successful QB in the NFL. That’s why, regardless of where he lands.
I'm experiencing a form of Deja Vu as it seems like this conversation happens every year.

Mariota played soccer all his life and was more accurate on the run and less the more they fixed him. Lamar had something similar to above as a critique. On and on. Is Nix another sport guy where he's used to moving around all the time?
With respect to the post you replied to, (Nix stepping up & throwing w/o setting his feet), I don't believe is a make or break. Reason being, I don't think it's going to occur all that frequently. Again, more prominent & what can be seen on a lot of plays is him throwing off his back foot. Exacerbating the problem is when he's fading while he's throwing it. At times his feet aren't always square to his target.

From the interview with Cosell & Farrar (Faust), there's a play they highlight, a 48yd TD pass to Tez Johnson. The air yards a little over 20 but it's a perfect strike. The safety support rolls over too late (& takes a ridiculously poor angle) & the DB across from Johnson is sitting on his route to break. This has Nix staring that thing down. So he's looking & set to throw left. For the most part he's throwing off that plant foot. He doesn't followthrough but they show the play from behind the LOS & you can see the right heel come up off the ground & then the toe drag. Evident that he can & does get it right.

Reactions: Bri
Starting to warm up to Bo Nix as a Giants fan. I like his ability to diagnose plays and challenge the defense at all levels, plus he might be around for the G-Men in the 2nd round at #47, At least it wouldn't cost a lot to trade up earlier in the 2nd if they need to.

I have used plenty of mocks to do mocks for my home league. 15 team SF/PPR/TEP/IDP. I have Nix almost always going 9-10 as is a huge need for both teams picking 9-10. Both are playoff contenders and you better have 2 QBs to compete as they score the best overall. Even one draft he dropped to pick 66 to Denver which I think is great situation and still took 10th. He has chance to start early with NE, Wash, LV, Denv, Minny, or Giants. Seattle another spot with chance to start this year. If drafted by Rams in 2nd or 3rd, he might drop to pick 20 in my home league. Ihave never had earlier than 9 or later than 20 in mocks and have done one for any 3 round plus mock I find.

Starting to warm up to Bo Nix as a Giants fan. I like his ability to diagnose plays and challenge the defense at all levels, plus he might be around for the G-Men in the 2nd round at #47, At least it wouldn't cost a lot to trade up earlier in the 2nd if they need to.
I think NY wouldn't be a great spot for him. I think he (and Penix) need to go somewhere with strong supporting casts. Vikings or Raiders jump out to me as good spots.

I think NY wouldn't be a great spot for him. I think he (and Penix) need to go somewhere with strong supporting casts. Vikings or Raiders jump out to me as good spots.
Daboll has been pretty good for qbs. Josh Allen, Jones 2 seasons ago
Would pique my interest if any qb gets snagged by the Giants and Daboll
I think Pratt from Tulane would be a great developmental pick for NY, and can snag him in the 3rd likely.

Anyhow....back to Nix

If you had to provide an NFL comparison for yourself, who is that?

"I would like to think a combination of a lot of different guys. I think in a way it's unfair to compare guys because no two guys are the same. Not only is it unfair for the guy you're comparing me to, because I'm not them, I don't have the same values and characteristics that they have. But I think when you look at the overall landscape, I enjoy extending plays and trying to make the 'cool' play like Patrick Mahomes. I like to use arm angles and arm talent like Aaron Rodgers. Matthew Stafford is extremely tough. Very competitive, very gritty, I think he's underrated in the league. Joe Burrow is very efficient, very smart, great processor and understands timing. When you put all those guys together, all those qualities and traits, I hope to use some of those and make the most efficient quarterback possible."

Is he describing the ideal QB or himself? if he is describing himself, he has delusions of grandeur.

If you had to provide an NFL comparison for yourself, who is that?

"I would like to think a combination of a lot of different guys. I think in a way it's unfair to compare guys because no two guys are the same. Not only is it unfair for the guy you're comparing me to, because I'm not them, I don't have the same values and characteristics that they have. But I think when you look at the overall landscape, I enjoy extending plays and trying to make the 'cool' play like Patrick Mahomes. I like to use arm angles and arm talent like Aaron Rodgers. Matthew Stafford is extremely tough. Very competitive, very gritty, I think he's underrated in the league. Joe Burrow is very efficient, very smart, great processor and understands timing. When you put all those guys together, all those qualities and traits, I hope to use some of those and make the most efficient quarterback possible."

Is he describing the ideal QB or himself? if he is describing himself, he has delusions of grandeur.
I'd be a little concerned about a QB who was asked to compare himself to someone, and then said like, Colt McCoy or Taylor Heinicke, or someone of that ilk.

Nix was widely thought to be best fit for Sean Payton and the Broncos. But can't imagine Denver taking him at 12 now after the Z. Wilson trade. He might end up falling out of the first round.

Nix was widely thought to be best fit for Sean Payton and the Broncos. But can't imagine Denver taking him at 12 now after the Z. Wilson trade. He might end up falling out of the first round.
Why does Wilson change anything? He's a 1 round pick swap at the end of the draft. Is he even ahead of Stidham?
Don't think he's ahead of Stidham. The move tells me they weren't confident they could get the guy they wanted (either trade up or at 12). So now they will go after a low risk elite positional player at that spot (e.g. OL to replace Bolles).

They may still go after a lower tier/developmental QB later on (perhaps if trade back from 12 and pick up a 2nd rounder).

But sure seems it's now a QB competition type approach.

Why does Wilson change anything? He's a 1 round pick swap at the end of the draft. Is he even ahead of Stidham?
Don't think he's ahead of Stidham. The move tells me they weren't confident they could get the guy they wanted (either trade up or at 12). So now they will go after a low risk elite positional player at that spot (e.g. OL to replace Bolles).

They may still go after a lower tier/developmental QB later on (perhaps if trade back from 12 and pick up a 2nd rounder).

Round 3 Rattler?

Round 3 Rattler?
Yes. IMO that is much more likely than reaching for someone early

Users who are viewing this thread