What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Bijan Robinson, ATL (2 Viewers)

Adrian Peterson 14 games 238 rushing attempts 1341 rushing yards 12 TD 5/6 yards per carry 28 targets 19 receptions 268 receiving yards 1 TD 9.6 yards per target 257 touches 6.3 yards per touch 1609 total yards.

Peterson was inactive for 2 games during his rookie season. I forget why that was. But anyhow this just happens to be a pretty apples to apples comparison here with both having 14 games played so far.

Peterson had 40 more touches in 14 games than Robinson ok lets account for that difference at Robinsons 5.2 yards per touch so far. Thats 208 more yards. His total would be 1332 total yards then. Thats still 277 less yards than what Peterson had as a rookie. Fewer TD and much fewer explosive plays as you can tell by the ypc ypt yards per touch numbers.
What about if you were using LT or CMC's rookie year production instead as a basis to try and say he's not elite? You are welcome to your opinion but I don't think any excuses need to be made for Bijan's play, he's looked the part to me.

I'm also not that overly critcial of Bijans usage over the course of the entire season and it's been about what I expected before the season. I've tried to say a few times in here he was saying he was sore, probably hitting a bit of a wall and I think Arthur was trying to manage him for the course of the whole season. But I am going to remain highly critical of his usage in a huge game with a few weeks left to go in the season when the elements suggested he should be a bigger part of it.

Adrian Peterson 14 games 238 rushing attempts 1341 rushing yards 12 TD 5/6 yards per carry 28 targets 19 receptions 268 receiving yards 1 TD 9.6 yards per target 257 touches 6.3 yards per touch 1609 total yards.

Peterson was inactive for 2 games during his rookie season. I forget why that was. But anyhow this just happens to be a pretty apples to apples comparison here with both having 14 games played so far.

Peterson had 40 more touches in 14 games than Robinson ok lets account for that difference at Robinsons 5.2 yards per touch so far. Thats 208 more yards. His total would be 1332 total yards then. Thats still 277 less yards than what Peterson had as a rookie. Fewer TD and much fewer explosive plays as you can tell by the ypc ypt yards per touch numbers.
What about if you were using LT or CMC's rookie year production instead as a basis to try and say he's not elite? You are welcome to your opinion but I don't think any excuses need to be made for Bijan's play, he's looked the part to me.
Those were not players brought up for comparison before this. Do you think Robinson should be compared to them?

They were top 10 picks at the RB position as Robinson was.

I didn't compare him to Saquon Barkley who was a player brought up as generational talent comparison. I didn't think it was a very close way to compare them as Barkley had 352 touches and over 2k total yards in his rookie season. Not much point in that given that Barley had 100 more touches than what Robinson is on pace for. Fading Eli Manning likely in Barkleys favor compared to Ridder as well. Barkley happens to be one of the unusual RB who had their best season so far as a rookie which is outside of the norm where on average the rookie season is the worst of their first 6 seasons. FWIW Barley had 5 ypc and 6 yards per target as a rookie.

I mainly brought up Peterson because well I am a Vikings fan, and they both happened to have 14 games in their careers right now. Peterson also time shared with Chester Taylor. Both had bad QBs to work with. So I thought there were a lot of similar circumstances between the two, but that Petersons performance numbers were significantly better. So more of an apples to apples type of comparison that could perhaps isolate the difference in talent.

Robinson is on pace for 248 touches in 16 games to try to make that type of comparison even. Robinson may play 17 games. In a few years from now we will have more data of players potentially playing 17 games to work with, right now that is still fairly new. So at least for now I think it makes sense to compare players by 16 games.

LT had almost 400 touches as a rookie. His yards per carry was 3.6 and his yards per target was 5. He averaged 4 yards per touch so significantly less than Robinsons 5.2 right now. A lot of people thought he wasn't that great as a rookie, just that he had a lot of touches. Which there is some truth to that. LT is one of the examples of the average RB career path, where their rookie season is the worst of their first 6 seasons. LT goes on to have 3 different 2k combined yard seasons and he was always pretty close to that for his first 7 seasons. The epic 6th season where he had 2323 yards and 31 TDs. But LT is also getting the ball about 400 times per season. He had Marty Shottenheimer and Norv Turner as his coaches for those years. These coaches really work their RB a lot. I think we know that efficiency stats go down the more a player gets the ball typically. Those explosive plays get aggregated more towards the mean. So anyhow I am not seeing much useful from the comparison. If you think Robinson = LT in talent then yeah you are hoping his touches rise to LT levels in his 2nd to 6th seasons.

CMC being more recent is one we know pretty well. He struggled with only 3.7 ypc as a rookie on 117 rushing attempts. Robinson is almost on pace to have double that number of rushing attempts in a 16 game sample. He time shared with Johnathan Stewart who was used more as a runner in CMCs rookie year. It is known that CMC added weight and focused on becoming a better runner than he was as a rookie. CMC had 113 targets 80 receptions 70.8% catch rate 5.8 yards per target. So while not the runner that Robinson has been as a rookie he was a much better receiver. CMCs career yards per target is is 6.9 the rookie season was his worst ypt. At least by this metric I would say CMC is a more elite receiving RB than Robinson is. CMC improves as a runner and has two about 2k seasons after this. Then is injured years 4 and 5 but comes close to 2k again in this 6th season and is now on pace to do so again in his 7th season.

Not sure what to think after looking at that except that Robinson should be better in the next few seasons.

Robinson is currently on pace for 1365 total yards if he plays at the same level for 17 games. Adjust that to 1284 for 16 games. This is not bad. Not bad at all for a rookie season. However it does fall short of the 1500 combined yards that most of the elite RB have had as rookies that has propelled them to close to 2k seasons after that when they improved. As a whole this is the threshold target or the per game type of pace we are looking for in many of the RB one might consider to be elite for FF purposes before they ascend to near the 2k level.

Robinson while good is falling short of that.

As far as the rest of your post that makes sense. I was not at all bothered by your comments in this thread. I appreciate you and look forward to hearing what you say. Whether we agree or not.

I am also sick of people blaming the coach for Robinson not lighting the league on fire.

Maybe Robinson just isn't as good as you hoped he would be.
Huh? If this was all happening in a vacuum, I might be more inclined to believe your take, or at the least take you seriously.

BUT, this is not happening in a vacuum. This is happening on a losing team that already underuses a top 10 TE that has the 2nd most receiving by a rookie TE ever. And then you have London, another top 10 pick at WR that is a game changer beating #1 corners all game long, he just doesn’t see any action. Smith would rather show off their blocking skills while Tyler Allgeier shows us his 3 yards and a cloud of dust running skills.

No offense, but your take is hit garbage. I have 0 shares of Bijan, but anyone unwilling to acknowledge what they see when he has the ball is stubborn, a hater, or just not very good at evaluating talent.

buy-low evangelist
noun

1. one who spreads negative narratives on a fantasy football player, in hopes of making an actual impact in that player's public concensus value, in order to acquire the player at artificially reduced value

(see wishful thinking)

Just kidding ... I don't really believe anyone here is doing that. But it would be a funny if they were.

buy-low evangelist
noun

1. one who spreads negative narratives on a fantasy football player, in hopes of making an actual impact in that player's public concensus value, in order to acquire the player at artificially reduced value

(see wishful thinking)

Just kidding ... I don't really believe anyone here is doing that. But it would be a funny if they were.
You know darn well people do that in these threads all the time.
Heck, people do it in my leagues talking about my players that they are trying to trade for. Now imagine those guys posting in an anonymous message board........

Eyeball test tells me he started out the year great - was number 1 overall PFF RB. Made consistent highlight reel runs albeit not many long breakouts because every defender was in the box. Tough when your only threat is Ridder throwing the rock over the top. As the season moved on my belief is he got about as frustrated with his usage/treatment ... Bijan is far more of a Saquon/Gurley/Peterson type prospect than any thing CEH has ever sniffed at any point in his entire life.
Yeah, Robinson is one of them, has everything you'd associate with a big volume 'back. With respect to his situation & usage, to me it always comes down to the same thing. Gotta be in the right play & so I'm not ready to question his mindset. The results of him placing himself on that slope are going to be what, exactly? If instead, he takes command of what he can control, the likelihood that things will eventually sort themselves out increase dramatically. That fumble, not good enough. I'm 100% certain given the conditions that ball security was emphasized in their pregame ritual. This was a 3rd & 11 play which, had it been better executed, they may have converted. The defender is just a guy in the back coming up in run support. His entire focus is to get Robinson to the ground, make the tackle. Best I can tell, the helmet hits the elbow, which can be tricky. Robinson did a poor job of preparing himself for contact.

They were in their own end, the defender makes NO attempt to force the ball loose. I'm sorry but he forced the coach to bench him. I've seen that Taylor Heinicke has been named starter this week. So, Ridder's INT down near the goal cost him as well. Going forward, I'm just gonna roll with him being a football player & getting another shot at playing on the big stage. There's something else Robinson would rather do this Sunday? They still control their own destiny & I think he responds. I think the team is going to. That said, I started Shaheed over Hubbard & McLaurin this past week.... so, referring what I think as my .02c is quite likely overvalued. :)

I'm happy to proven wrong, but so far this dude seems to be on a TRich career arc so far. Given the situation with Jonathan Taylor, things are lining up for the idiot Colts to trade a 1st rounder for him a couple games into the 2025 season as well since they'll think with Richardson at QB "we're only a weapon away from a Super Bowl." That will be your last window to sell high to another delusional owner.

buy-low evangelist
noun

(see wishful thinking)

Heck, people do it in my leagues talking about my players that they are trying to trade for. Now imagine those guys posting in an anonymous message board........
I've considered the possibility before, but I just didn't think anyone would think that could actually work, unless they know they're talking to people in their own league. Seems like it would be difficult as one person posting here to affect the general public concensus across fantasy football. But who knows.

buy-low evangelist
noun

(see wishful thinking)

I've considered the possibility before, but I just didn't think anyone would think that could actually work, unless they know they're talking to people in their own league. Seems like it would be difficult as one person posting here to affect the general public concensus across fantasy football. But who knows.
Wouldn't the opposite be true, boosters trying to prop up an investment?

I am also sick of people blaming the coach for Robinson not lighting the league on fire.

Maybe Robinson just isn't as good as you hoped he would be.
Huh? If this was all happening in a vacuum, I might be more inclined to believe your take, or at the least take you seriously.

BUT, this is not happening in a vacuum. This is happening on a losing team that already underuses a top 10 TE that has the 2nd most receiving by a rookie TE ever. And then you have London, another top 10 pick at WR that is a game changer beating #1 corners all game long, he just doesn’t see any action. Smith would rather show off their blocking skills while Tyler Allgeier shows us his 3 yards and a cloud of dust running skills.

No offense, but your take is hit garbage. I have 0 shares of Bijan, but anyone unwilling to acknowledge what they see when he has the ball is stubborn, a hater, or just not very good at evaluating talent.
This ^

Bia - always enjoy your strong opinions around here, but you are wrong on this one. I understand the point you are trying to make, but you clearly don't watch and follow the Falcons (not that I would blame you). Every single one of the best talent evaluators in the country would disagree with you on your take of not only Bijan, but Pitts and London as well. But we will pretend you and Arthur Smith know best.(y)

buy-low evangelist
noun

(see wishful thinking)

Wouldn't the opposite be true, boosters trying to prop up an investment?
Absolutely, that as well.

Think sometimes people get ranking and total value misconstrued as well. Bijan came into the league as the RB1 overall ranking in dynasty. Right now, most people still have him as the RB1 overall ranking in dynasty. However the distance between him and the RB2 is now much closer than it was prior to the year start. The trade value for him has dropped a decent amount, but despite that, he's still likely in most peoples top 3 at worst.

Also, the "buy him low" thing makes next to 0 sense to me lol. Every poster should have their roster/rosters in the tag line of all their posts. Because then you would see there are probably less than 1% of actual Bijan owners valuing him any less than they did when they took him. It's the rest of the community who is acknowledging the value drop. And this isn't a phenomenon specific to Bijan. Unless you're in a league with a Taco, you're not going to be able to buy Bijan low. And I'm not insinuating the owners are wrong or delusional, if I was a Bijan owner I would not be selling him for any less than what I paid for him either. He's as much of a hold as any player ever has been a hold lol. The most likely scenario for those uber-rare owners who have suddenly starting thinking they want to move him, is that they wait till he puts up a 3 game stretch next season of great performance and move him on the value spike. But even in that scenario, its just as likely the owner sees that 3 game stretch of great performance and falls back in love.

I think who takes the first snaps this week will be telling, Allgier was in for most of the first snaps last week. Either Smith digs in his heels and says FU to the FF community or he finally gets the memo from Blank and goes all in with Bijan in a must win situation.

buy-low evangelist
noun

(see wishful thinking)

Ever read message boards talking about stocks??

I would agree he should be getting more work. His draft stock and his YPC alone should have him at 20 touches a game, let alone how much more efficient he is than his backups.

Let me rephrase my point for anyone who might misunderstand.

I am not saying Robinson is not good. He has been good based on his performance metrics so far in his career. He is on pace for 1300 combined yards for a 16 game season. That's very good for a rookie RB.

It's not elite generational level great. That would be 1500 combined yards or better as a rookie.

I have also said I expect Robinsons numbers to improve after his rookie season which is on average the lowest performing season of a good RBs first 6 seasons historically.

That means I expect Robinson will have more than 1500 combined yards in 2024.

Those are good numbers. About 90 combined yards per game and a RB doing that should be a top 12 RB for fantasy football.

But it's not elite generational talent level of performance. The RB who I would consider to be generational talents produce multiple 2000k or near that seasons.

Based on what Robinson has done so far in his young career I am not expecting him to do that. He might even have one near 2000k season in his career but I am not expecting him to have multiple 2k seasons.

That is how high the bar is in my view for a RB to be considered a elite generational talent.

Dalvin Cook for example had a 1900 yard season as his career best and no one is arguing he is/was a elite RB. He was very good at his best but not that.

And there is nothing wrong with a RB who has multiple 1500 yard seasons with maybe one season near 2k yards. That's very good and they might be the number 1 RB in their career year for fantasy if/when they do that.

But it's not elite. It's not LT. It's not CMC. It's not Adrian Peterson.

Even Saquon Barkley hasn't done that. He has one elite season and 2 very good seasons so far in his career. Although he was touted as a elite generational talent and it sure looked that way after his rookie season. Lance Zierlien who is a analyst I really respect as far as a talent evaluator compared Barkley to Barry Sanders as a prospect. In my view praise can't be any higher than that. Yet Barkley due to injuries or whatever reason has fallen short of that. His career does not compare to Barry Sanders.

So if you don't like that, think my opinion is garbage and I don't know what I am talking about fine.

That's what I think.

Gibbs is outperforming Robinson on a per game basis has better efficiency metrics even though he is in a time share with Montgomery. No one is complaining about that or calling the Lions coach an idiot (right now, they were) but then no one was touting Gibbs as a elite generational talent either.

This is all a matter of perception and the expectations for Robinson are exceptionally high. All I am saying is that he has not performed at a level for me to think those expectations were correct. I am not saying Robinson isn't a good RB.

Last edited:
With all the rumors of Fields going to Atlanta, how would we feel about it? Obviously not ideal. But at least he should boost the total team offense numbers.

With all the rumors of Fields going to Atlanta, how would we feel about it? Obviously not ideal. But at least he should boost the total team offense numbers.
I think it would be great for Bijan
I'll go ahead and take your optimism as my own!
That offense would be explosive as hell. Bijan would have huge holes on the threat of Fields running.

I’m rooting hard for ATL as the landing spot for JF. I think it’s the perfect fit.

Last edited:
Actually sportsbetting.ag has "Falcons starting QB week 1" as -250 Cousins now. Any rookie +200. And Fields +500.
The odds were right to shift to Cousins. I like that Cousins hardly does any running, but his history indicates very low RB targets.

Actually sportsbetting.ag has "Falcons starting QB week 1" as -250 Cousins now. Any rookie +200. And Fields +500.
The odds were right to shift to Cousins. I like that Cousins hardly does any running, but his history indicates very low RB targets.
Then again, the dude has had Jefferson to throw to for the last four years.

Users who are viewing this thread