What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jonathon Brooks, CAR (2 Viewers)

I'm shocked there wasn't already a thread on Brooks. I think he's the best RB in this class. Which would have put him about 5th in the 2023 class.

Pete Thamel
Texas star tailback Jonathon Brooks tells ESPN he’s leaving school early to declare for the NFL Draft. Brooks is Mel Kiper Jr.’s top-ranked available tailback in the upcoming draft. He had a clean ACL tear on Nov. 11 and is expected to be ready by training camp.

Brooks earned second-team All-Big 12 honors despite the injury and averaged 6.2 yards per carry over his career.

I'm shocked there wasn't already a thread on Brooks. I think he's the best RB in this class. Which would have put him about 5th in the 2023 class.
Bijan Robinson, Jahmyr Gibbs, Devon Achane and which other player from the 2023 RB class would you say was ahead of Brooks?

Bijan Robinson, Jahmyr Gibbs, Devon Achane and which other player from the 2023 RB class would you say was ahead of Brooks?
Despite how his rookie year went, I think Charbonnet was a better prospect, he just unfortunately went to a team with an even better RB already.

October 26, 2023:

2024 NFL Draft: Prospects the PFF big board is higher on than other boards

Excerpt:

RB JONATHON BROOKS, TEXAS

PFF big board rank: 55​

Brooks was recently elevated to RB1 status on the PFF big board. The redshirt sophomore might not declare for this year’s draft, given he is just a third-year player and has been starting for only one season, but that doesn’t change his ability and how we project it.

The 6-foot, 205-pound back once rushed for more than 500 yards in a high school football playoff game, and though he wasn’t going to take many touches away from Bijan Robinson the past few years, he’s showcasing his stuff now. He currently has an 89.3 rushing grade, is forcing 0.35 missed tackles per attempt and is averaging 4.0 yards after contact. We’re not saying he’s a first-rounder, but in terms of who has the best argument for RB1 in the class, Brooks is building his case as well as anyone right now.

Matt Miller
We haven't seen a ton of him yet thanks to Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson, but I am BIG excited for Jonathon Brooks to get his reps for the Longhorns.

Had 5 tuddies last year and watching the KU game again he beat folks up

2023-07-19

Matt Miller
So...turns out he's good.

RB1 for me. Underrated receiver out of the backfield. Really good wiggle/burst/balance. And still tons of tread on the tires.

2024-02-21

Texas RB Jonathan Brooks (ACL) said he expects to be recovered by July 1.
Brooks, entering the NFL Draft after three seasons at Texas, injured his ACL in November to end a highly-productive junior season campaign. Brooks told reporters at the NFL Combine that his recovery is ahead of schedule and that he should be ready to roll come training camp. It seems like a rosy injury assessment, but a running back-needy team could take a chance on Brooks and let him get fully healthy before deploying him in camp or the preseasons. Brooks, 20, averaged a hefty 6.2 yards per carry on 238 carries at Texas over three seasons, scoring 15 rushing touchdowns over his final 17 games.

Texas RB Jonathan Brooks (ACL) said he expects to be recovered by July 1.
Brooks, entering the NFL Draft after three seasons at Texas, injured his ACL in November to end a highly-productive junior season campaign. Brooks told reporters at the NFL Combine that his recovery is ahead of schedule and that he should be ready to roll come training camp. It seems like a rosy injury assessment, but a running back-needy team could take a chance on Brooks and let him get fully healthy before deploying him in camp or the preseasons. Brooks, 20, averaged a hefty 6.2 yards per carry on 238 carries at Texas over three seasons, scoring 15 rushing touchdowns over his final 17 games.
Think 2025, not 2024.

I think he'll be in play for me at the 1.10 in a 14 team standard. That is with him getting good draft capital to a spot with a route to be the starter.

Standard leagues, always bump those RB's up the board.

A nice 2nd round pick in dynasty leagues, but what if the Cowboys take him in the 2nd round? He would probably move into the 1st round if that were the case.
In this scenario he's probably go middle of round one in most of my leagues.

I think he'll be in play for me at the 1.10 in a 14 team standard. That is with him getting good draft capital to a spot with a route to be the starter.

Standard leagues, always bump those RB's up the board.
Even if he plays in 2024, you draft Brooks for 2025, not 2024 IMO.
I would not say that. You beat that drum hard last year about Breece Hall as well and his ACL injury was less then 20 calendar days after Hall's and as far I know it was a clean.

I don't think you want to go into a season counting on him, not till the back half anyway, but he's got redraft value and my expectation would be if he's not helping fantasy teams by the mid point of the season it's not because of injury recovery.

He's currently going as RB32-36 in various FFPC redraft formats.

Hayden Winks
Jonathon Brooks feet for 6'0/216 are sweet

Jax Falcone (Scott)
I’ve been saying this.

He evades tackles in such an effortless manner.

Hayden Winks
seems like would be very clearly RB1 without the ACL tear. ironically, the guy who might go ahead had a full knee dislocation in college!

The Joel Klatt Show A CFB Pod
👀 @joelklatt compares @TexasFootball RB Jonathon Brooks to Bijan Robinson, Jahmyr Gibbs and CMC

🎙: link.chtbl.com/nM8jIiGX

Eric Galko
Jonathan Brooks is certainly talented enough to be among these rarified comparisons.

Real chance he’s still the first RB taken. And while he won’t be ready to test during the draft process, he’s greatly impressed teams in the interview process.

When healthy, be a surprise if he didn’t quickly emerge as the best rookie RB next year.

S/O @coachchoice #Texas @TexasFootball

Graham Barfield
Per Schefter, RB Jonathon Brooks possibly would have gone late Round 1 if he didn’t tear his ACL

And he’ll be nine months clear from surgery August 1st. Plenty of time to ramp up for Week 1.

Jeff Tefertiller
I like Brooks a lot but Schefter seems to be spreading agent-driven propaganda

Graham Barfield
Yeah I dont buy R1 talk either. But he certainly would have pushed for top-50. Still might

Anyone got examples of backs who suffered similar injuries in their final college season and how productive they turned out to be as rookies?

Anyone got examples of backs who suffered similar injuries in their final college season and how productive they turned out to be as rookies?
Willis McGahee had near 1300 yds and 13 TD's after his leg folded in the wrong direction. Watch below at your own risk.

Willis McGahee had near 1300 yds and 13 TD's after his leg folded in the wrong direction. Watch below at your own risk.

Yet he was never quite the back he could have been.
Didn’t Marcus lattimore have a similar injury?

Yet he was never quite the back he could have been.
Didn’t Marcus lattimore have a similar injury?
Yes he did

Gimme Wright and Benson ahead of Brooks, even before the ACL injury. Brooks looks well-rounded but unremarkable in all facets.

Wright reminds me of Alvin Kamara.

Benson reminds me of Adrian Peterson.

Brooks reminds me of Alex Mattison.

Gimme Wright and Benson ahead of Brooks, even before the ACL injury. Brooks looks well-rounded but unremarkable in all facets.

you mean they remind you of the "no-name" versions of those players, ya?

I don't see any Kamara in Jaylen Wright outside the fact they played for the Volunteers.

Makes no sense to me at all that comp.

I'm not really seeing the Benson/Peterson comp either but they are at least somewhat stylistically similar I suppose.

Best comp I've since for Brooks style wise is Melvin Gordon.

you mean they remind you of the "no-name" versions of those players, ya?
I can see Benson being a bust. He had 6 games last year under 4 yards per carry and looked horrible against a bad LSU defense. He never looked like the best player on the field....NEVER. I also like Wright, but he's not without his own warts. Brooks is the perfect guy to get at a bargain because of his injury. Not comparing players directly, but think Breece Hall.

I'm suspect of supposedly many teams are excited at the prospect of him falling to them in the second.
NFL teams don't use CBD. They should but we'll see we'll see.

The big question about Dallas and Brooks is they probably want to take a RB that is full-go in 2024 to start the year, not someone that may require some more recovery time from his injury. When I say recovery time, it means Brooks not being 100% to start the year, not necessarily on PUP, but may be. I can see them taking someone like Jaylen Wright or Blake Corum in the 2nd round. Or if they are having a brain fart, Trey Benson.

Users who are viewing this thread