What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jonathon Brooks, CAR (2 Viewers)

The big question about Dallas and Brooks is they probably want to take a RB that is full-go in 2024 to start the year
They signed Royce Freeman a few days ago. Not exactly a thrilling signing, but someone who could take spot start workload for a few weeks while the rookie gets healthy/up to speed. Makes a lot of sense if they've earmarked Brooks as their guy.

The big question about Dallas and Brooks is they probably want to take a RB that is full-go in 2024 to start the year, not someone that may require some more recovery time from his injury. When I say recovery time, it means Brooks not being 100% to start the year, not necessarily on PUP, but may be. I can see them taking someone like Jaylen Wright or Blake Corum in the 2nd round. Or if they are having a brain fart, Trey Benson.
It's a good point that Brooks in Dallas does not make ideal sense since they have what most view as the biggest need/opening and he's not likely going to be ready for to big of a role. Have considered that angle for awhile.

They'd just need to throw some more bodies into the equation. Probably why they are keeping the light on for Elliot, some reported interest in Dalvin. Ugh.

Maybe they'll double up in the draft like the Packers did when McCarthy was their head coach in 2013 and they took Lacy in two and Franklin in 5-who might have been really good. Of course, McCarthy probably has about as much say in who Dallas drafts as we do.

If I was them I'd not turn away from Brooks over potentially a slow half a season, not if he's their top RB, which maybe he's not. Have heard a few people with NFL team connections, Daniel Jeremiah being one spouting this a lot, that the RB rankings from team to team are wild. He was saying the other day he was talking to a GM friend of his and RB's who are like his 11th and 12th ranked were atop his board.

The big question about Dallas and Brooks is they probably want to take a RB that is full-go in 2024 to start the year
They signed Royce Freeman a few days ago. Not exactly a thrilling signing, but someone who could take spot start workload for a few weeks while the rookie gets healthy/up to speed. Makes a lot of sense if they've earmarked Brooks as their guy.
I think Freeman is irrelevant at this point.

I think Freeman is irrelevant at this point.
Had 3 or 4 RB2ish games last season as an injury cover spot starter. I don't think he's relevant in fantasy but him signing there might be relevant to the idea they are drafting Brooks and just want an easy to sideline, warm body to carry the load till he's ready.
I feel they want someone of much higher quality than Freeman to start the season. I would love Brooks in Dallas, like everyone else, but I just gave a reason why they may not take him in the 2nd.

I feel they want someone of much higher quality than Freeman to start the season.
Maybe. If Brooks timeline matches Gurley's he'll be on the field in week 3 or 4.

I think they'd make do till then if they are genuinely high on Brooks talent.
Who knows, but that may be an aggressive timeline for him having effectiveness.
I do expect a slow start to 2024 but it sounds like he is on track for some activity in training camp. July is 8 months out so him being active in camp will be a good thing. I agree though, he might not be fully 100% to start the season.

Last edited:
I feel they want someone of much higher quality than Freeman to start the season.
Maybe. If Brooks timeline matches Gurley's he'll be on the field in week 3 or 4.

I do expect a slow start to 2025 but it sounds like he is on track for some activity in training camp. July is 8 months out so him being active in camp will be a good thing. I agree though, he might not be fully 100% to start the season.
You meant 2024 for the slow start I suspect.

You draft a RB today with hopes of 4 years of production. I wouldn't touch anyone that had an injury that puts their first year in doubt before round 5.
This is for redraft I assume? Injured players are a risk for sure in year 1. Dynasty he's only 20 and has lots of football ahead of him.

You draft a RB today with hopes of 4 years of production. I wouldn't touch anyone that had an injury that puts their first year in doubt before round 5.
This is for redraft I assume? Injured players are a risk for sure in year 1. Dynasty he's only 20 and has lots of football ahead of him.
I am talking about him drafting him into the NFL. Jf I am a GM round 5 or later.

I do expect a slow start to 2025 but it sounds like he is on track for some activity in training camp. July is 8 months out so him being active in camp will be a good thing. I agree though, he might not be fully 100% to start the season.
You meant 2024 for the slow start I suspect.
Yes thanks! I will edit.

I am talking about him drafting him into the NFL. Jf I am a GM round 5 or later.
Oh he's going before round 5. He's young, and knee injuries aren't a concern like they used to be (10+ years ago).

I believe you're at least 2 rounds off and a good possibility of being 3 rounds off.

I believe you're at least 2 rounds off and a good possibility of being 3 rounds off.
I agree, I would be very surprised if he lasts past mid third at the latest.

The big question about Dallas and Brooks is they probably want to take a RB that is full-go in 2024 to start the year, not someone that may require some more recovery time from his injury. When I say recovery time, it means Brooks not being 100% to start the year, not necessarily on PUP, but may be. I can see them taking someone like Jaylen Wright or Blake Corum in the 2nd round. Or if they are having a brain fart, Trey Benson.

I have not seen anything from Dallas' offseason to suggest that they're selling out for this year. If I've read correctly they opted to take a hit on Dak's contract this year instead of spreading it out. If anything that implies more of a longterm view than a focus on this year.

Anyone see Jerry last night going on and on about how much he liked Brooks, and then his son nudged him and told him he has not been drafted yet?

Do we think it was JJ having an old man moment or just trying to play with people? I hate to say it but looking at the faces of McClay, McCarthy and Stephen I think it was an old man brain fart moment. Guess we'll find out tonight.

I thought they had a good run OL but horrible Pass Protection OL group.
Completely different functions and part of the reason Chicago got the 1.01 pick from them for Bryce Young flop of trade

brutal landing spot...should slide into the back half of the 2nd round in rookie drafts
Not the best, but not brutal. And 1st RB taken in 2nd round will be closer to back half of 1st round, not 2nd. Even in Carolina.

I personally wouldn't touch him in the first in most rookie drafts. Go ahead and put me in the "hater" camp.
Thanks for the offer, but I don't use that stupid term.

Not that he's sure to go in the 1st, but definitely he'll go closer to 2.01 than 2.12. And I'll be in your camp of liking him less than consensus.

Users who are viewing this thread