What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Brock Bowers, LV (1 Viewer)

So it seems a foregone conclusion that he's going to be a great receiver but won't be able to block well as a rookie.

We've seen this type a lot and it's always an issue with playing time and also directly related to the quality of the RT

This year, 13 players will attend the draft. How many declined, you ask?

We did. Per a source with knowledge of the process, two specifically declined. Notre Dame tackle Joe Alt and Georgia tight end Brock Bowers opted to stay with their families for draft night.

The max, per the source, was 15. Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy also was invited, we’re told, but when he didn’t respond the league moved on.

————————————
In a related story, Joe Alt is house shopping in Brentwood.

So it seems a foregone conclusion that he's going to be a great receiver but won't be able to block well as a rookie.

We've seen this type a lot and it's always an issue with playing time and also directly related to the quality of the RT
Why won't he be able to block as a rookie? He's a solid blocker, and it'd take a really dumb OC to ask him to block DEs on passing plays.

I'd be shocked if a team took him in the top-15 (or top-10) and didn't give him at a 75% snap share right out of the gate.

I would seriously consider him at 1.2 in TE premium. Situation for him and the WRs would be the deciding factor but for me, without knowing situation it would be a coin flip between Nabers and Bowers at 1.2.

I would seriously consider him at 1.2 in TE premium. Situation for him and the WRs would be the deciding factor but for me, without knowing situation it would be a coin flip between Nabers and Bowers at 1.2.
I’m flipping the coin at 3 most likely

Bowers would be a completely reasonable pick at the 1.1 in a TE premium league, if the Chargers take him with the 5th pick.

Bowers would be a completely reasonable pick at the 1.1 in a TE premium league, if the Chargers take him with the 5th pick.
Ok. I sure wouldn’t, but have at it.

You're not wrong. But he is the best of that type we've probably ever seen. He's in the Engram/Reed/Chig archetype but the 100th percentile version of those guys. So he's a decent bet to buck the inconsistent usage trend those guys sometimes see.

Per PFF "Bowers is one of 14 FBS tight ends since 2014 with 75-plus career pass-blocking and run-blocking grades." So not sure where this not blocking well narrative is coming from. Unless its just based on the general jump in level of complexity from College to the Pros.

Broncos have 6th-best odds to draft TE Brock Bowers

Excerpt:

The Denver Broncos (+1000) have the sixth-best odds to draft Georiga tight end Brock Bowers in the 2024 NFL draft, according to BetMGM.

The Broncos are set to pick at No. 12 overall in the first round. The New York Jets (+150), who pick two spots above Denver at No. 10, are considered the favorites to draft Bowers.

After the Jets, the Indianapolis Colts (+400), Cincinnati Bengals (+800), Chicago Bears (+900) and Los Angeles Chargers (+900) also have better odds than the Broncos to select the No. 1 tight end in this year’s class.

Denver is followed by the Tennessee Titans (+1200), New Orleans Saints (+2000) and New York Giants (+2500).

Rich Cimini
Daniel Jeremiah (@MoveTheSticks), on a national conference call, on what he thinks the #Jets would do at 10 if the choice is between TE Brock Bowers and the OT2 (Joe Alt is gone):

"My gut tells me I think they would take Bowers. (Joe Douglas) comes from an organization ... in Baltimore where they had great tight ends and they’ve always done a good job of drafting tight ends. I like their tight-end room now. Conklin is a solid player. This would give them a little something different there that they don’t have."

He believes OT Taliese Fuaga and T/G Troy Fautanu would be the top OLM on the Jets' board at that point.

Mina Kimes
Brock Bowers seems like a no brainer for the Colts….

…if he’s there 😶‍🌫️

Dan Orlovsky
Yes

Mina Kimes
The only question….does he get past 10 🤨

Dane Brugler
10. Jets
12. Broncos
15. Colts

Feels like Brock Bowers lands at one of those three spots.

I don't like the Jets landing spot. Rogers has never really featured the TE and he does seem likely to change himself to adjust to reality, in fact he's kinda shown that he'll just re-invent a false reality and then tell everyone else they're wrong so he doesn't have to adapt.

Best spot would be if the Chargers trade back with Minnesota and then Bowers falls there and they take him knowing they can address their OT gap with the second 1st rounder.

I don't like the Jets landing spot. Rogers has never really featured the TE and he does seem likely to change himself to adjust to reality, in fact he's kinda shown that he'll just re-invent a false reality and then tell everyone else they're wrong so he doesn't have to adapt.

Best spot would be if the Chargers trade back with Minnesota and then Bowers falls there and they take him knowing they can address their OT gap with the second 1st rounder.
Colts at 15, mark it down.

Bob McGinn's draft series begins

Excerpt:

BROCK BOWERS, Georgia (6-3, 241, no 40, 1): Third-year junior. “Thing that’s interesting about him is this is not a Rob Gronkowski (6-6, 260, 4.67), Travis Kelce (6-5, 257, 4.63) body,” said one scout. “This is almost like a fullback body. If you draft him and play him just as a pure tight end, you’ll be disappointed. He’s not going to go hammer those 260-pound defensive end and outside backers in the run game. And it’s not like he’s going to go out-jump some of these defensive backs for the ball. He really didn’t make a ton of plays like that. Most of his plays are run after catch. He’s excellent with the ball in his hand. That whole offense ran through Bowers. Outside, inside, motion, slot, backfield. They schemed him up and they’d get the ball to him quickly in the flat. He’d turn up, break the tackle and go for 18 more yards. (Fit) will be a real key to his success.” A second scout equated Bowers’ work after the catch to Harrison’s. “If he catches it on the run, he’s a mother------,” he said. “If the dude from Iowa (Sam LaPorta) can do what he did this year there’s no reason Brock can’t do that or even more. Now is that worth a top-10 pick? He might end up falling because he’s not a three-down player. You’ve got to limit his reps and use him as a true ‘U.’ Keep him on the back side to come across in motion and whack guys. He’s not a point-of-attack player. He’s not as athletic as (Kyle) Pitts getting in and out of breaks. He doesn’t have that basketball uniqueness. But he’s got length (32 ¾-inch arms) and rare ball skills.” Finished with 175 catches for 2,538 (14.5) and 26 TDs. “He’s just a quiet guy,” a third scout said. “Keeps to himself. Does the right thing. Always on time.” From Napa, Calif.

Then I can cut Jelani.

The 33rd Team
Brock Bowers’ top ballcarrier speed was 21.4 MPH — faster than any NFL TE 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝘀𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲 𝘀𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗼𝗻𝘀 😮‍💨

He reached 20+ MPH four times since 2021, while every NFL TE 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘣𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘥 did it five 😲

pic.twitter.com/resQdmHKwQ

🎥: @RAanalytics / @NextGenStats

Um, they missed his 89 yard td as a freshman.

On his 89-yard touchdown reception against UAB, Bowers hit a top speed of 21.9 miles per hour. That was the second fastest-recorded top speed in college football last week per Recruiting Analytics.

Then I can cut Jelani.
I still like Woods

The only comp I have for him is Ditka. And I’m not sure how flattering that is based on stats but if you go back and watch Ditka highlights and Bowers right after, think it’s easy to connect.

As an in line blocker, mini Ditka. As a ball carrier, bionic Ditka. As a route runner, robo Ditka.

The first time I saw him was the 89 yard 21.9 mph TD. That's why I remembered it. It was a highlight shown during a game break while I was watching a different game. I remember thinking, damn that's a big fast WR. The next time I saw him I was watching a Georgia game. He caught a humble flat pass in an open zone running towards the sideline. A safety had a bead on him but bounced off his hip. Mortals get taken out of bounds, but he cut back, accelerated into traffic and powered between two more tacklers. Still accelerating he headed across the field trying to beat an angle Tyreek wouldn't beat but he was flying. He planted his foot, changed directions turning straight up the field, broke two more tackles and cruised into the endzone for what was a 20 some yard touchdown. I remember thinking, who was THAT... no, WHAT was THAT?

He's my favorite player in this draft.

He will be a stud. I have the 3rd pick in a dynasty league and have LaPorta. I’m going to have a difficult decision between Bowers or Odunze. I can use one of TEs studs in a flex. I like him a lot too.

In a TE-premium league where I at one point had both 1.01 and 1.04, I seriously considered taking him at 1.01 and then whatever WR fell to me at 4 (MHJ [unlikely], Nabers or Odunze).

I've since sent the 1.04 off (netted me Jamarr Chase) so I'm pretty locked in to taking Harrison Jr. at 1, but just something about Bowers that has a few thoughts floating around in my head to take him at 1 and run with Chase, Dell and Rice at WR for the next 4 years.

He will be a stud. I have the 3rd pick in a dynasty league and have LaPorta. I’m going to have a difficult decision between Bowers or Odunze. I can use one of TEs studs in a flex. I like him a lot too.
Same. Except my TEs are Tyler Hudson and Chig Okonkwo :bowtie:

Cory Yates
An athletic TE is the most difficult matchup to game plan for and a QB’s best friend in the passing game.

Why would you not draft Brock Bowers ahead of Harrison, Nabers, and Odunze if you had a receiving need?

Scott Barrett
This Q isn’t as crazy to me as I think it is for most people

If I entered Bowers into my model as a WR, he would have ranked as the WR3. Ranks no worse than as the 2nd best TE in a decade

By positional importance, highest end TEs severely underrated in importance

Maybe it’s just coincidence and the Mahomes/Brady factor, but a dominant TE has had a whole lot of influence on winning a championship in the last decade+

Kittle, Andrews, and now LaPorta have all put their stamp on some great offenses and deep playoff runs now too.

Yup. I've got the 1.04 as well. Solid chance I draft a WR now, even though my WR room looks pretty sweet already.

(JJ, Puka, Olave, JSN, Higgins, CWatson, Jamo)
(Hock, returning from bad injury, and Pitts, returning from being criminally underused)

Users who are viewing this thread