What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

College WR Brenden Rice, USC (1 Viewer)

Did not realize he was declaring for the draft this year. As defending champ in my deep keeper league, and with picks 1.10, 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 I am surely not going to get any marquee names. I will however, keep my eye on Brenden, and would love to slot him in as my WR5 or 6. Because of the name, I am wondering if I need to take him with one of those picks, or could he still be there in the 3rd or even later? Time will tell.

Harris Hits: Senior Bowl Observations | Day Three

Excerpt:

HOF WR Jerry Rice was on hand to watch his son USC WR Brenden Rice today. He was standing a few feet from me before practice when I turned around and was starstruck. I don't normally get that way, but I was dumbstruck to see Brenden's Pops. The younger Rice is an intriguing prospect and he had a strong week. He's got great size, long, LONG strides and some serious twitch and speed. He's physical and beat up some DBs in the process of doing his work. His first red zone route made me laugh, honestly. I didn't write down who the DB was but Rice ran off the ball and HAMMERED the DB, knocking him on his wallet, running a slant route and making an easy catch for a TD. His second slant route TD was even more difficult as he had to extend on a ball away from his body for another TD as he beat Oregon CB Khyree Jackson for the score.

A little later in the same drill, Rice ran a return route for a touchdown from a slot position. His change of direction was outstanding on that route. He has an intriguing set of skills to say the least.

Jim Nagy
Don't sleep on USC's Brenden Rice (6021v, 212v) in this year's deep WR class. He's one of most physical big receivers in this class.

Rice can simply bully smaller corners, as he does here on this block release. Checkout where CB's heels are at snap and where they end up. 💪

@BrendenRice could be old-school West Coast quick game slant monster in right system.

🧵1/2
#TheDraftStartsInMOBILE™️

What makes @uscfb WR Brenden Rice such a difficult cover is that he can out-size & out-physical DBs underneath but he's also explosive enough to get on-top in a hurry.

Bruce Feldman predicted in his "Freak's List" column that Rice would run a fast 10-yard time at #NFLCombine this week and you can see it in this👇clip.

🧵2/2
#TheDraftStartsInMOBILE™️

Fernando Ramirez
USC WR Brenden Rice said he met with the #Chargers and loved the coaching staff including head coach Jim Harbaugh. He said Harbaugh recruited him out of high school.

Max Markham
Wouldnt be surprised if the Bears took Brenden Rice in the 4th if available.

Already has some chemistry with Caleb Williams. It would also help the WR room by implanting a cheerleader, esp. if DJ is still in his feels.

GOAT Jr. being talked about as potentially available in the 4th round seems odd. Looks and plays like a prototypical NFL WR1. Only knock on him I can find is talk about how he is a sub-par athlete, but according to the above his relative athleticism is in the 87th percentile across 3k+ drafted WRs drafted in the last four decades.

Watching this reel, I see something between a rich man's Cortland Sutton and a poor man's Mike Evans. I just cannot fathom how this guy isn't at least being projected as a 2nd round pick - especially if he has even remotely similar work ethic and character to his father.

If mock drafters are right, someone is getting an absolutely steal next month in Brendan Rice.

Watching this reel, I see something between a rich man's Cortland Sutton and a poor man's Mike Evans. I just cannot fathom how this guy isn't at least being projected as a 2nd round pick - especially if he has even remotely similar work ethic and character to his father.

If mock drafters are right, someone is getting an absolutely steal next month in Brendan Rice.

I don't see anything close to Evans talent, and I highly doubt he has Jerry Rice's work ethic, because nobody does.

I'm concerned that he wasn't more productive with Caleb Williams. Why was Tahj Washington outproducing him? Why didn't he even top 45 catches?

I think a Sutton comp is reasonable, but just Sutton, and not a high-end version, like pre-knee injury, but current Sutton. I think he should be a 3rd rounder personally, its an exceptionally deep class though. We could see like 20 WRs in the first 3 rounds.

@travdogg, thanks for the feedback, but if you think Rice is like current old and diminished Sutton, then we'll just have to see what's what down line. I see similar attributes but more talent. And he doesn’t need to have Jerry's full ethic, just similar values and character as any good son of a good father should (fairly, don't know if either actually fit that 'good son/father' criteria, but guessing).

Washington is a completely different type of WR. Granted, small and uber quick/fast gets more done now in the NFL than before, but there are like 10 other Washingtons in this draft alone. Few other Rices, outside of the very top of this draft this year. I still consider the alpha 1A outside WRs a premium, whereas 175 lb jitterbugs are all over the place. E.g. Why draft Xavier Worthy in rd 1, when you could get Tahj Washington in Rd 6?

FWIW - I want to like him too, but his RAS is actually 7.93 (per RAS), so not bad but not elite. Also, if you look at the WRs who do have a RAS score on the site this year, the scores are running high (so this is an athletic class and he lags in comparison). His BMI his solid at 26.5, and I don't think he looks bad "on film", but at the same time I don't think he stands out much more than other guys who are going to also go in later rounds.

@travdogg, thanks for the feedback, but if you think Rice is like current old and diminished Sutton, then we'll just have to see what's what down line. I see similar attributes but more talent. And he doesn’t need to have Jerry's full ethic, just similar values and character as any good son of a good father should (fairly, don't know if either actually fit that 'good son/father' criteria, but guessing).

Washington is a completely different type of WR. Granted, small and uber quick/fast gets more done now in the NFL than before, but there are like 10 other Washingtons in this draft alone. Few other Rices, outside of the very top of this draft this year. I still consider the alpha 1A outside WRs a premium, whereas 175 lb jitterbugs are all over the place. E.g. Why draft Xavier Worthy in rd 1, when you could get Tahj Washington in Rd 6?
Current Sutton isn't an insult. He's a solid WR2, who has been stuck in a pretty bad offense. He's had 700+ yards every year of his career.

I'm not saying Washington is a better WR, I'm just worried that Rice took a backseat to him. Washington is a 5th round prospect to me, and Worthy is a 3rd, same as Rice, but I don't see this as some tiny WR class full of only a couple bigger guys. Pretty much every WR in this class is over 6 feet and 190 pounds.

Users who are viewing this thread