What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Rome Odunze, CHI (1 Viewer)

Again, might be wrong... But I won't touch him in the first round, myself (I have the 3 pick only right now, so kind irrelevent)... But if I acquired another last 1st, he'd be off my list.
Yeah I'm the same unless he's in a smash spot and somehow falls to the mid 2nd round.

I'm holding 1 - 3 - 4 - 13 - 14 - 18 - 19. With those back ends firsts I have to say the guy I like most right now is Malachi Corley. I'm fully expecting Odunze to be the pick at 3, and I'm going to see what can be done about turning the 4 into 2. I think the guy with 2 would be amenable to moving off it for more capital.

Still so much between now and picking players though.
Odunze is a 1st round rookie pick In dynasty leagues. Anyone hoping he drops is a pipe dream.
He was talking about Coleman, not Odunze.
Sorry, thought it was an Odunze thread and didn’t read back far enough to see the name “Coleman”, except where I called him a one trick pony. Probably best to mention Coleman more often downstream if it’s not a Coleman thread. My bad.

Again, might be wrong... But I won't touch him in the first round, myself (I have the 3 pick only right now, so kind irrelevent)... But if I acquired another last 1st, he'd be off my list.
Yeah I'm the same unless he's in a smash spot and somehow falls to the mid 2nd round.

I'm holding 1 - 3 - 4 - 13 - 14 - 18 - 19. With those back ends firsts I have to say the guy I like most right now is Malachi Corley. I'm fully expecting Odunze to be the pick at 3, and I'm going to see what can be done about turning the 4 into 2. I think the guy with 2 would be amenable to moving off it for more capital.

Still so much between now and picking players though.
Odunze is a 1st round rookie pick In dynasty leagues. Anyone hoping he drops is a pipe dream.
Yeah it kinda got side tracked with the Coleman chat and Coleman being the one dropping.

As for Rome it seems he has solidified himself in the top 7 in SF rookie drafts so far. This NFL draft is going to be exciting to see where all these WRs go.

The only knock seems to be the 4th year concern. Certainly not at all a deal breaker but it's a real question IMO.

The only knock seems to be the 4th year concern. Certainly not at all a deal breaker but it's a real question IMO.

I was just reading an article about how NIL is changing the collegiate game, and therefore, the pro draft. He might be a guy that got quite a bit of money to come back. I wonder how one finds that out.

I mean, he signed an exclusive card deal with a company named Panini and also signed, if I'm not mistaken, with Adidas during the year—no slouch of a sponsor.

The only knock seems to be the 4th year concern. Certainly not at all a deal breaker but it's a real question IMO

I mean, he signed an exclusive card deal with a company named Panini and also signed, if I'm not mistaken, with Adidas during the year—no slouch of a sponsor.

... and in doing so, basically locked himself as a top 10 pick in the draft this year

... and in doing so, basically locked himself as a top 10 pick in the draft this year

Yeah, nobody is questioning his wisdom in coming back. What me and Ilov want to figure out is how to assess that performance against other players now and that have come before. Staying in school is usually a bad sign. What I'm saying is that we may no longer be able to rely on early declare as a positive or necessary thing. I think lots of students will want to go back to campus. See the running backs that opted to go back to school.

Anyway, it's one more thing to think about.

Yeah, nobody is questioning his wisdom in coming back. What me and Ilov want to figure out is how to assess that performance against other players now and that have come before. Staying in school is usually a bad sign. What I'm saying is that we may no longer be able to rely on early declare as a positive or necessary thing. I think lots of students will want to go back to campus. See the running backs that opted to go back to school.

Anyway, it's one more thing to think about.

Eh, I'm really not bothered by it at all. He was 21 for ALL of this season. The types of catches he makes are NFL level over the shoulder type (you can't teach that type of tracking)... Mike Evans level.

If he was 22/23, I start questioning.

Anyways, I still haven't shaped my top 3 WRs... It's all ready to go pending landing spot between mhj, nabers and rome. I haven't shaped my top 4 because Bowers plays in too (we play 1.5PPR TE).

He was 21 for ALL of this season

That's really good.

I should say that I'm not really questioning him. The NIL money seems like a big draw for these guys. Better to run it back for a year and dominate at the collegiate level than go in the second or third round to the pros where one can flame out rather quickly if caught in a bad situation.

Was solid the season prior, w 1145/7..... and he's STILL 21yrs old. Will be 22 when the season starts.
Oh yeah I’m in on him but just saying it’s a thing for a reason.
It's not really a thing anymore, especially with how COVID seasons messed things up and now add in NIL. 2020 was a nothing year due to a shortened COVID season.

If a WR gets drafted in the first round of the NFL draft I'm not really worrying if he played 4 years of college or not. It sure didn't knock Olave down my board at all.

Not saying anything about Rome and his ability or what he may or may not do in the NFL but this 4yr/senior narrative is old. Only keeps you from missing out on a potential good prospect.

He also returned to a college that ended up competing in the Championship game and in doing so probably propelled his likely draft position up something like 15-20 spots.

Not like he went back to school to evade something. He went back to try and win and in doing so elevated himself. Sounds like someone you should want on your team.

In a best case scenario where he brings his game to the NFL level...

Does his profile point to a Michael Pittman Jr. type role? ...and possibly with similar usage and production pending OC/scheme/WR room on his NFL team?

Rome Odunze compared to superstar NFL wide receiver ahead of CFP game

Excerpt:

Former UW quarterback Brock Huard was on the Always College Football podcast this week with ESPN’s Greg McElroy to talk about the CFP game and he offered up an NFL comp for Odunze.

“He’s not as big as Mike Evans, but he’s got a lot of the same skillset. He’s not as explosive as Ja’Marr Chase, but there’s a lot of the same skillset,” Huard said. “An NFL scout texted me and he’s like, ‘He’s Davante Adams.’ And I’m like, man, that’s pretty good.

“There’s a lot of similarities. Using your body. You’re covered but you’re never covered. You gain the ultimate trust of your QB at any time. In any one-on-one, they’re gonna look for you.”

Daniel Jeremiah's top 50: 2024 NFL Draft prospect rankings 1.0

Excerpt:

Odunze is a big, athletic wideout with exceptional hands. He can play outside or in the slot. He is refined and polished in everything he does on the field. He uses a variety of releases at the line of scrimmage and is a clean route runner. He uses his strength to lean into defenders before separating out of the break point. He thrives in traffic, possessing the ability to pluck the football and absorb big shots over the middle of the field. He makes some incredible adjustments on poorly thrown balls. He tracks naturally over his shoulder. After the catch, he is very tough to bring down and has some nifty make-miss ability. He plays with a ton of passion and energy. Overall, Odunze is a complete player and reminds me of Larry Fitzgerald coming out of college.

Was solid the season prior, w 1145/7..... and he's STILL 21yrs old. Will be 22 when the season starts.
Oh yeah I’m in on him but just saying it’s a thing for a reason.
It's not really a thing anymore, especially with how COVID seasons messed things up and now add in NIL. 2020 was a nothing year due to a shortened COVID season.

If a WR gets drafted in the first round of the NFL draft I'm not really worrying if he played 4 years of college or not. It sure didn't knock Olave down my board at all.

Not saying anything about Rome and his ability or what he may or may not do in the NFL but this 4yr/senior narrative is old. Only keeps you from missing out on a potential good prospect.
I think it's still in play if a college WR doesn't break out until that 4th year though. I've always found some truth in the late declare from that angle, not so much that they stayed an extra year. It's much easier for a WR with 2+ years of knowledge, routine, muscle to break out against younger/less experienced/physically weaker secondary players. This isn't the case for Odunze, but I think aspects of the late declare ding are still very relevant for dynasty analysis.

He's still very young, and one of those early seasons was Covid and I think his team only played like 4 games.

It's normally a red flag, but I think maybe not as much given the context here.

I think I agree with most here that the 4th year thing isn’t as big of a deal as it used to be and won’t alter my evaluation here. I do think why it matters is still applicable, COVID or not. I always thought it mattered because it was a sign that the NFL was telling the player they weren’t ready or weren’t interested. But with NIL, I can especially see some players feel they have enough of a safety net to risk a 4th year even if the NFL thinks they are worthy of being selected on day 2.

Jeremiah: Cardinals can’t go wrong with any of top 3 WR NFL Draft prospects

Excerpt:

It’s also clear who he has circled as his favorite prospect this NFL Draft in Odunze.

“I like big, fast, physical, smart, tough guys who can go play above the rim and who have some route polish to them,” Jeremiah said. “As a player, I love what he has from a skillset standpoint. I think it all translates. I think when you look at big games in the NFL, especially going into the postseason, I think that space disappears and you got to have guys who can win and vibe with bodies around him and he can do that. And that’s not to say he can’t run.

“I love the balance and the energy to him. I love the fact that — even though you might have to coach some of this out of him — he hates running out of bounds. … He tries to get everything he can get. He’s just a real, real competitive football player. … And he’s just the nicest guy in the world. Just a great dude. It’s almost too good to be true with everything I hear about this kid.”

Doug Farrar
Rome Odunze, WR, Washington

PLUSES

-- Contested-catch monster who seems to welcome converging DBs and close-in situations
-- Arm-tackling him is an exercise in futility; you'd better wrap him up after the catch
-- "Drifts" really well on posts and fades and has late hands to give him an advantage if the CB isn't playing the ball
-- Outstanding end zone target who can subtly re-distribute defenders to keep him open in short areas
-- Finds the voids in coverage, and then he wants to beat people up to stay open

MINUSES

-- Doesn't have third-level breakaway speed, but go tell him it's a problem
-- Speed off the snap is generated more by route concepts than pure vertical ability
-- Effort and intent as a blocker, but the technique is a bit iffy

I get an immediate Anquan Boldin hit from Odunze (a major compliment because I LOVED Boldin), and I think he absolutely can be a WR1 in the right offense.

PFF COMBINED CONSENSUS RANKING OF ALL STABLE METRICS SINCE 2022

Rank Wide receiver

1 Malachi Corley, Western Kentucky
2 Tahj Washington, USC
3 Troy Franklin, Oregon
4 Malik Nabers, LSU
5 Jamari Thrash, Lousiville
6 Rome Odunze, Washington
7 Roman Wilson, Michigan
8 Joshua Cephus, UTSA
9 Malik Washington, Virginia
10 Marvin Harrison Jr., Ohio State

Ian Rapoport
#Washington WR Rome Odunze, the No. 3 overall player on @MoveTheSticks' Top 50 and in contention to be the Top WR, will run and test at the Combine in Indy, source said.

So, a no on Marvin Harrison Jr or Malik Nabers. But a yes on Odunze.

Derek Brown
Because Rome KNOWS he WILL put on a show at the combine. Should be 🔥🔥🔥🔥

@thorku comp: Julio Jones
My comp: Terrell Owens

“Damn. Yeah, he’s a stud. The safest pick in this draft, I guess besides [Harrison], but Marvin probably wouldn’t have tested like Odunze did. Also an insanely good kid.”

- Scout to Charles Robinson (Yahoo NFL)

The fact that he stayed on the field and kept trying to improve his 3 come drill is all I need to know about this kid. All these players are talented. It's the mental drive that makes or breaks them. This example of his drive on this stage translates for me. Well done.

The fact that he stayed on the field and kept trying to improve his 3 come drill is all I need to know about this kid. All these players are talented. It's the mental drive that makes or breaks them. This example of his drive on this stage translates for me. Well done.
I still slightly prefer Nabers but it’s a lot closer than I thought.

All three are so elite for me that I cannot decide how to rank any of them right now. Hopefully the draft will help because I have lots of shots and will probably have 4 or 5 shares between the them. There’s a world where MHJ ends up rated third for me. Probably wouldn’t actually draft them that way.

All three are so elite for me that I cannot decide how to rank any of them right now. Hopefully the draft will help because I have lots of shots and will probably have 4 or 5 shares between the them. There’s a world where MHJ ends up rated third for me. Probably wouldn’t actually draft them that way.
In a world where MHjr isn’t #1 WR just shows prospect fatigue and the draft can’t get here fast enough.

Last edited:

In a world where MHjr isn’t #1 p WR just shows prospect fatigue and the draft can’t get here fast enough.

Serious question- what if he goes to New England and Nabers or Odunze goes to the Chargers?

I don’t think it goes that way but it’s a non zero chance. For me it changes things, possibly by a lot depending on what Pats do at QB.

I’m not changing my rankings due to any of this but it’s not just noise to me and will affect my final tally. Could be the difference between identifying Justin Jefferson or Garrett Wilson.

Last edited:

In a world where MHjr isn’t #1 p WR just shows prospect fatigue and the draft can’t get here fast enough.

Serious question- what if he goes to New England and Nabers or Odunze goes to the Chargers?

I don’t think it goes that way but it’s a non zero chance. For me it changes things, possibly by a lot depending on what Pats do at QB.

I’m not changing my rankings due to any of this but it’s not just noise to me and will affect my final tally. Could be the difference between identifying Justin Jefferson or Garrett Wilson.
It wouldn’t change my mind.

That’s cool and I consider it reasonable and the most likely outcome. Just think it’s also reasonable to acknowledge a chance could feel differently.

That’s cool and I consider it reasonable and the most likely outcome. Just think it’s also reasonable to acknowledge a chance could feel differently.
Some players are draft proof and MHjr is one of them and I have no chance at him in any league.

Some players are draft proof and MHjr is one of them and I have no chance at him in any league.
Respect your opinion and agree for the most part, but landing in NE would suck for any of the big 3. Made a trade for #3 overall and rediscovering my religion as I pray that NE and the Giants pass on them. I know I have no shot at Harrison also, but still want to see him land in a good spot for the fun of watching the NFL.

Respect your opinion and agree for the most part, but landing in NE would suck for any of the big 3. Made a trade for #3 overall and rediscovering my religion as I pray that NE and the Giants pass on them. I know I have no shot at Harrison also, but still want to see him land in a good spot for the fun of watching the NFL.
Things change quickly in the NFL

Things change quickly in the NFL
Remember when people passed on AJ brown because he was a Titan?

landing in NE would suck for any of the big 3. Made a trade for #3 overall and rediscovering my religion as I pray that NE and the Giants pass on them. I know I have no shot at Harrison also, but still want to see him land in a good spot for the fun of watching the NFL.
I have the 2 in an SF and the top two players in a regular ppr. There’s no doubt MH is the top player in the regular league.
The 2 in SF is an interesting one. Presumably, Caleb goes 1. MH is my current target at 2 but that could change with Maye, Daniels or even McCarthy going to the right team if MH lands in NE.
Hardest case, although extremely unlikely, would be if somehow Herbert got traded and Harbaugh brought McCarthy with him. More likely the hard choice will be McCarthy or Daniels in Atlanta.

And now back to the Rome thread. (Sorry about the hijack)

Last edited:
If you truly believe in Nabers or Odunze above MHJ (and I don't blame you at all if you do) then make yourself rich.
Move down to 2 or 3, and stock up on a ton of picks/players... People are willing to pay banana prizes for MHJ.

I know they're totally different positions... But there was once a thread opened on here by a really smart man. He was poking the bear for a while on who was the better actual prospect between Clowney and Khalil Mack. There was good discussion, but the masses doidn't seem to agree.

Clowney was a "100% HoF lock" out of college. "Can't miss prospect". No way in hell you should even begin considering Mack ahead of him.

It kind of reminds me of this situation.

Do your legwork. Watch the tape. See what offers you can get. And rip that hook into the biggest fish lurking around... Otherwise, sit tight, draft one of the biggest names in recent memory, and enjoy. He'll be good, no doubt (MHj)

Users who are viewing this thread