What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colonoscopy preparation today..... (1 Viewer)

about to schedule one for after I get my gallbladder out, 48 has been an interesting few months
gl gb…..usually gall bladder removal usually means other issues, no? was randomly discussing our parents with my wife last night and how my dad had his GB removed. he was turning yellow…..
I had a gallstone clog a duct recently and that was no fun at all so the Dr. is gonna remove it so that it doesn't happen again and cause another bout of pancreatitis. Other than not eating any fried foods for the next 6 months I'll be back to normal a few days after the surgery. Thanks for caring GB :beagle: /last100

Procedure went great. Everyone was great I took a nap and woke up and it was done. Found nothing to worry about so I get to come back in 10 years.

If you haven't and you are at that age please get you colon checked.
Sometimes I self-check just for fun :unsure:

So I’m 55 and went to a new primary care physician and when I asked for a referral for a colonoscopy he suggest a Cologuard test. I’ll be sending my poop through the mail :-)sick:) but he says unless that shows something I won’t need to get the colonoscopy. Anyone ever do this?
I did this 2 years ago. Came back all good but wonder how accurate this is? Think next time going to bite the bullet and “do the cleanse”

One polyp...all good.
The first time I had it done, they used gas to put me under. I came out of it completely fine and even drove home although it was only a few blocks.
This time was intravenous and there was no way I could've driven home. I was a little wobbly just walking.
Gatorade + Dulcolax\Mirilax did the job!

So I’m 55 and went to a new primary care physician and when I asked for a referral for a colonoscopy he suggest a Cologuard test. I’ll be sending my poop through the mail :-)sick:) but he says unless that shows something I won’t need to get the colonoscopy. Anyone ever do this?
I did this 2 years ago. Came back all good but wonder how accurate this is? Think next time going to bite the bullet and “do the cleanse”
The fact that they say up front false negatives and false positives are possible tells me to skip it.

Going in for my 2nd and probably 2nd to last in 45 days. Initial "prep" appt today to go over the details and schedule the roto rooter.

The fact that they say up front false negatives and false positives are possible tells me to skip it.
My family Dr told me its pointless.

This is true for almost all testing.

Cologuard is quite good for catching cancers (90%+), but misses more than half of precancerous polyps. As long as you maintain a more frequent testing schedule, that’s unlikely to result in a bad outcome, and the absolute risk is small.

On the other side of the equation, a false positive just buys you a colonoscopy.

Still, I’d rather stick the gold standard test.

Last edited:
I was surprised how easy it was for me to go without food for the day. I had 2 bowls of chicken broth and that's it. I didn't really feel that hungry. Even after the procedure.

I was surprised how easy it was for me to go without food for the day. I had 2 bowls of chicken broth and that's it. I didn't really feel that hungry. Even after the procedure.
Same here. I got hungry the morning of prep and had a Boost drink. After that I was not hungry the rest of the day and was not really hungry afterwards.

Starting my SuTab prep this evening. Procedure at 1:30 PM tomorrow. Had my first colonoscopy at this time last year (at age 52). There were a couple of "larger" polyps removed that were precancerous so I got the "we need to check in a year to make sure all clear" directive.

Last time I got only slightly nauseous during the prep, but this time the doc prescribed an anti-nausea med without me even asking. Not looking forward to this evening and tomorrow morning but know it's necessary. Hoping for a 5-year cycle going forward.

Same here. I got hungry the morning of prep and had a Boost drink. After that I was not hungry the rest of the day and was not really hungry afterwards.
Pretty much same experience. So much eating is done out of habit, boredom, or during socializing.

Theres no physiologic reason we eat three meals a day.

This is true for almost all testing.

Cologuard is quite good for catching cancers (90%+), but misses more than half of precancerous polyps. As long as you maintain a more frequent testing schedule, that’s unlikely to result in a bad outcome, and the absolute risk is small.

On the other side of the equation, a false positive just buys you a colonoscopy.

Still, I’d rather stick the gold standard test.
I had done Cologaurd my first time and it was fine. All came back negative, but after the fact I thought I read that if it came back with a false positive I’d need to get a colonoscopy anyway and then my insurance would consider that diagnostic vs. preventitive, which I believe would be really expensive. Not sure the false positive rate with Cologaurd but in hindsight thought it probably wasn’t worth the gamble, especially needing to do it every 3 years. Had a regular colonoscopy my second time and good for 10 years.

Just got my packet in the mail with my procedure instructions.
This will be my 3rd go-around so, not my first rodeo but the instructions seem different;
32oz of Miralax Gatoraid at 5pm ... and then the other 32 oz at 3am.
I don't remember ever getting out of bed at 3 am to drink 32 oz of Gatoraid.
Seems to me that you're not getting back into bed if you've got that stuff crashing thru your intestines.
Is everyone else having to do this? I might need to fabricate some type of pillow holder at the toilet.

This will be my 3rd go-around so, not my first rodeo but the instructions seem different;
Seems to me that you're not getting back into bed if you've got that stuff crashing thru your intestines.
Is everyone else having to do this? I might need to fabricate some type of pillow holder at the toilet.
I started my Miralax at 2pm and had no set time to finish. I had it all done by 7pm so I could get a good nights sleep.

taht was mine with a slight difference - the second one was 7 hours before your procedure.

And the reason you guys aren't hungry is your are still full of miralax lol

That was pretty much what I did.

I know this comes up from time to time but I recommend SuTab prep (and it may not be too late for you to switch). My procedure is at 1:30 today - I took 12 pills within approx. 25 minutes of each other yesterday beginning at 6 PM. Then did the same thing at 6 AM today. 16 oz of water to wash them down. Then just additional water (or powerade or gatorade) after that to stay hydrated. The volume of liquid intake isn't so big. If it was a morning procedure today, I believe I could have done a morning round and an evening round of the pills yesterday and still slept last night. Worth looking into anyone if the volume of mirilax/gatorade is daunting or the timing is weird. GL

Is cologuard every 10 yr offset with 5 yr from the real deal a possible endpoint?
I don’t understand what you’re asking, but in general, Cologuard’s problem is it misses too many precancerous polyps. The screening interval of every three years is based on minimizing the risk a new polyp transforms into a cancer that can’t be easily treated.

So you have to decide if the small risk/inconvenience of endoscopic screening outweighs the (also small) risk a bad polyp kills you.

Now, you can mitigate this risk by doing cologuard more frequently, but then you're increasing the chance you get a false positive = colonoscopy anyway.

AFAIK, there isn’t a well studied protocol of mixing/matching the tests at different intervals.

I know this comes up from time to time but I recommend SuTab prep (and it may not be too late for you to switch). My procedure is at 1:30 today - I took 12 pills within approx. 25 minutes of each other yesterday beginning at 6 PM. Then did the same thing at 6 AM today. 16 oz of water to wash them down. Then just additional water (or powerade or gatorade) after that to stay hydrated. The volume of liquid intake isn't so big. If it was a morning procedure today, I believe I could have done a morning round and an evening round of the pills yesterday and still slept last night. Worth looking into anyone if the volume of mirilax/gatorade is daunting or the timing is weird. GL
i went the sutab route and had the same timing..........i started around 7p and did a 2nd round about 1-2a. i was able to crash around 3a after the waterworks.

Is cologuard every 10 yr offset with 5 yr from the real deal a possible endpoint?
I don’t understand what you’re asking, but in general, Cologuard’s problem is it misses too many precancerous polyps. The screening interval of every three years is based on minimizing the risk a new polyp transforms into a cancer that can’t be easily treated.

So you have to decide if the small risk/inconvenience of endoscopic screening outweighs the (also small) risk a bad polyp kills you.

Now, you can mitigate this risk by doing cologuard more frequently, but then you're increasing the chance you get a false positive = colonoscopy anyway.

AFAIK, there isn’t a well studied protocol of mixing/matching the tests at different intervals.
since cologuard can't dig out polyps, i just went colonoscopy.

Scheduled mine for 4/17. I have to take Miralax 2x/day for 10 days prior to the event. The rest of it looks like what you guys have posted above.

Had my first yesterday after putting it off for several years. Fasting/prep was inconvenient but not horrible. Procedure itself was a nothing-burger. The first covid test I received by an over-aggressive swabber was way more uncomfortable. I was actually somewhat awake during the procedure and was watching it all go down on a giant tv. I vividly remember the probe tugging little bits from a gummy-looking bulge as it was happening, and being unfazed. Turns out it was pulling biopsies from what they are pretty sure is a lipoma, confirmation pending. If I'd known beforehand I wouldn't be completely knocked out I may not have shown up. Glad its over with but will have no fear going back in 10 yrs for another.

All depends on what time your procedure is scheduled.

Aaaah, that explains it. I'm scheduled at 1030am ... which means they probably get started at 1130am. My previous appts I was the first customer.
I hope they clean the tool between jobs.

Aaaah, that explains it. I'm scheduled at 1030am ... which means they probably get started at 1130am. My previous appts I was the first customer.
I hope they clean the tool between jobs.
Hopefully you aren't getting an endoscopy also ...... ;)

Scheduled mine for 4/17. I have to take Miralax 2x/day for 10 days prior to the event. The rest of it looks like what you guys have posted above.
Hmmm, never heard of that. Seems excessive, imo. Is this a basic checkup or is there some other issue going on?

Had my first yesterday after putting it off for several years. Fasting/prep was inconvenient but not horrible. Procedure itself was a nothing-burger. The first covid test I received by an over-aggressive swabber was way more uncomfortable. I was actually somewhat awake during the procedure and was watching it all go down on a giant tv. I vividly remember the probe tugging little bits from a gummy-looking bulge as it was happening, and being unfazed. Turns out it was pulling biopsies from what they are pretty sure is a lipoma, confirmation pending. If I'd known beforehand I wouldn't be completely knocked out I may not have shown up. Glad its over with but will have no fear going back in 10 yrs for another.
The first time I did it, they woke me up at some point and asked me to hold my breath for some kind of push and then knocked me out again.
This last time I was out for the whole thing. I wouldn't want to be even halfway awake throughout.

Hmmm, never heard of that. Seems excessive, imo. Is this a basic checkup or is there some other issue going on?
Dr wants to make sure I'm cleaned out. I'm not the most regular guy out there - going once every 3 days or so, hence the extra laxatives to jump start the clean out procedure.

Watched my first one on the tv as well. Remembered it clearly the first day, but after a few days I could only remember the "highlights".

Nothing burger. Hardest part was the prep and the IV. Ole doc slipped it in before I knew.

yeah, way less invasive than I thought it would be. The prep did suck, drinking that crap.

glad I did it, he removed a lot of polyps

Pro tip - don't schedule in the morning: easier to prep if you have an afternoon appointment. I had to get up at 4 am for the prep...not ideal.

I'm 45 and have mine scheduled for May 13th (prep day is Mother's Day, unintentionally). Greatly appreciate all the wisdom shared as this post has been hilarious and informative.

I have a question on the fiscal piece and didn't see a lot in the thread. Obviously not the most important piece by a long shot, but I'm a little concerned after a vasectomy a while back that cost several thousand more than expected. I have a high deductible insurance plan and this procedure is covered as in-network preventative unless polyps are found, then would be diagnostic. Plus anesthesia. Just concerned because just the consult copay was $175. How much did some of you have to pay out of pocket? Thanks!

I'm 45 and have mine scheduled for May 13th (prep day is Mother's Day, unintentionally). Greatly appreciate all the wisdom shared as this post has been hilarious and informative.

I have a question on the fiscal piece and didn't see a lot in the thread. Obviously not the most important piece by a long shot, but I'm a little concerned after a vasectomy a while back that cost several thousand more than expected. I have a high deductible insurance plan and this procedure is covered as in-network preventative unless polyps are found, then would be diagnostic. Plus anesthesia. Just concerned because just the consult copay was $175. How much did some of you have to pay out of pocket? Thanks!
Mine was billed for $4,800 for procedure and anesthesia. You may get a little plan discount.

Users who are viewing this thread