What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colonoscopy preparation today..... (3 Viewers)

They found 1 fricken pulp 5 years ago.. So instead of 10 years between visits I'm going back in on February 24th. :oops:

I'm 52 and just had an appt to re-establish myself with a PCP a couple of weeks ago (first time I've been to a doctor in over 4 years), and he said based on family history, current health, etc. that he recommended Cologuard rather than a colonoscopy, so going to give that a whirl.

LOOK AT ME I GET TO POOP IN A COLLECTION BUCKET AND SHIP IT IN A BOX VIA UPS!

What can Brown do for you, indeed.
Friend of mine drove to a FedEx place by mistake and sauntered in cracking Cologuard jokes. The guy looked up and without missing a beat, came back with “Take that **** to UPS.”

I'm on an every 2 year cycle and have stopped taking the sedative. Watching the camera is kinda cool. When I had a polyp removed and it wouldn't stop bleeding, they stapled it with a staple about half the size of a grain of rice. Very cool.

Easiest nap i ever took
They put you to sleep and when i woke up there were 2 lovely nurses working my bed side
They told me I had a clean bill of health
I started in my early mid 40s because cancer runs in my family and I don't want to hide from it.

There's nothing to be scared of and I actually enjoy emptying out all my guts the day or night before
You feel super clean after and almost don't want to eat anything outside of a piece of fruit or something very earthy
You hate thinking about clogging yourself back up with all that food you really aren't supposed to be eating.

I have to schedule my first one.

How bad is this experience? Uncomfortable or knocked out?

Do you get results right away? Outside of a clean bill of health and colon cancer, are there are other common issues found?

Is the procedure itself something you feel? How long?

What is the process for preparing? Do you lose weight while doing this?

Do you get results right away? Outside of a clean bill of health and colon cancer, are there are other common issues found?

it's no big deal. i was knocked out. results were right away. i had a clean superhighway. they look for various things. precancerous polyps are fairly common. felt fine afterwords. my prep was easy. some drink that tasted pretty much like gatorade. cleaned me right out. depending how full of *&%$ you are will determine how much weight you lose.

1. My procedure was yesterday afternoon so I started the liquid prep at 5:30a yesterday morning. For a couple of days prior, I reduced my intake of any fiber.
I was knocked out using Propafol. It took less than 10 seconds from the time they injected it into the IV before I was asleep. Next thing I knew, I woke up in recovery. About 15 minutes after that, I walked out and my wife drove me home. I was a little groggy, but not horrible. Would highly encourage being knocked out if you don't have any aversion to it. It was easy, painless and took virtually no time.

2. Got my results right away. Pictures and everything. The doctor will remove any polyps if they are visible. I didn't have any but he did mention to me that I had some minor diverticulitis. Nothing to be alarmed about.

3. I didn't feel anything because I was knocked out cold. Took ~30 minutes by my estimation

4. Didn't lose any noticeable weight. I didn't eat anything from about 8p the night before until right after the procedure (Starbucks Bacon, Gouda, Egg sandwich with an iced coffee). I was pretty hungry at that point.

Lots of good info here! I've got questions for the day of procedure.

Do you constantly feel like you need to find a toilet, right up until the procedure? I'm talking about the drive to the clinic and waiting room time. I'm hoping that you're pretty empty and done well before it's time to get in the car.

What post-procedure like? Should I expect to still have diarrhea feels and races to the toilet afterwards, and for how many hours/days if so?

I'd like to enjoy the drive to the clinic without feeling like I'm going to mess my pants, and same thing with being able to coach a kids sport practice 30 hours after the procedure.

Do you constantly feel like you need to find a toilet, right up until the procedure? I'm talking about the drive to the clinic and waiting room time. I'm hoping that you're pretty empty and done well before it's time to get in the car.

What post-procedure like? Should I expect to still have diarrhea feels and races to the toilet afterwards, and for how many hours/days if so?

I'd like to enjoy the drive to the clinic without feeling like I'm going to mess my pants, and same thing with being able to coach a kids sport practice 30 hours after the procedure.
I was pretty cleaned out before. I used the bathroom there, just in case. The urge to go had mostly subsided. Post op I just felt a little groggy. Pipes returned to normal pretty quickly. I ate mellow food the first 24 hours. The next day should be fine.

none of these concerns were an issue for me. You do spend a lot of time on the toilet the day before, but that morning was no big deal and the colonoscopy office was 30 minutes from our house. Recovery was really easy GI wise.

However, when people suggest using wipes instead of TP that prep day - listen to them! Bidet or special wipes is the only thing I would have done differently.

it's no big deal. i was knocked out. results were right away. i had a clean superhighway. they look for various things. precancerous polyps are fairly common. felt fine afterwords. my prep was easy. some drink that tasted pretty much like gatorade. cleaned me right out. depending how full of *&%$ you are will determine how much weight you lose.

What are pre-cancerous polyps? Seems common, but anything to worry about if they find these?

What are pre-cancerous polyps? Seems common, but anything to worry about if they find these?
talk to your dr

Most of the time nothing to worry about. But, that's why you are doing the procedure. Its to identify these issues BEFORE they become problems.

I guess I am being advised to do a colorrectal screening vs. an actual colonscopy?

Is that common to do one vs. the other?

I have a physical with my doctor the week after next to discuss what is best here, but to my knowledge, have no symptoms or issues going into all of these discusssions.

I guess I am being advised to do a colorrectal screening vs. an actual colonscopy?

Is that common to do one vs. the other?

I have a physical with my doctor the week after next to discuss what is best here, but to my knowledge, have no symptoms or issues going into all of these discusssions.
How old are you?

Someone told me they won't let you leave after the procedure until you fart? If true, why?
They fill your colon with air and they want to make sure you are able to pass it before they send you home. As you're waking up, you will (hopefully) fart. And then you'll hear a couple others letting loose in the nearby beds.

Someone told me they won't let you leave after the procedure until you fart? If true, why?

Yes, that is what I was told.

And .........I couldn't. And there were people farting away like crazy in the room!! I was so jealous.
I had ,,,,,stage fright? Fear of what might come flying out? Upbringing of my childhood having overly good manners washing over me in my state of coming out of the anesthesia?
I don't know but for whatever reason I couldn't and they said I couldn't go home til I did. To make sure everything was working ok?
So..... eventually .....I lied,,, and said I did. Again shame .....from my strict upbringing made me feeel soo...well a little... guilty.

Went home with the most uncomfortable bloated feeling and tightness in my stomach. I couldn't function.
So then I lied on the floor and rolled around on my stomach. And kept rolling.
And I let out air like an over inflated balloon! Like A Macy's Parade Balloon! Oh yeah all the different fart sounds you can imagine.
It felt fantastic.
I said to my wife (who was upstairs because of course I couldn't do that in front to her) did you hear any of that?
She said, hear it?? The whole house was shaking!
So what a roller coaster. It went from an inexplicably lowest inept farting moment to my biggest farting achievement in a span of an hour.

Quite easier than I expected. Liquid prep wasn’t too gross, mine had a lemon flavor and I mixed it with some lemon Gatorade.

Very impressed with the speed of toilet trips, I wish all dumps were that quick and efficient.

No idea what you guys are talking about on the fart before leaving. I woke up in the recovery room to doctor giving me results, and the nurse was in a minute later to hand me a water and tell me get dressed at my own pace.

No idea what you guys are talking about on the fart before leaving. I woke up in the recovery room to doctor giving me results, and the nurse was in a minute later to hand me a water and tell me get dressed at my own pace.

Same here. Woke up, drank some apple juice, got up, and left within 5 minutes. No farting was necessary. Didn't hear any melodious tones from anyone else in the room either. I would have noticed. And snickered.

I'm getting ready for Superbowl weekend of a "soft diet" with the clean out on Monday. Apparently the insurance companies are starting to save money by making the patient pay for the clean out. No prescription for colonblow3000 for me. I had to buy my own supply of Miralax, Gatorade and Bisacodyl. I have to mix seven doses of Miralax with a quart of Gatorade to make the prep solution. I will pop three of the laxative tablets then drink a glass of the Gatorade mix every half hour. After two hours, I get to repeat that process. That is six laxative tablets, two quarts of Gatorade, and 14 doses of Miralax in a 3 1/2 hour period! Bog roll and baby wipes are at the ready.

:blackdot: I'll be 50 in September, Just booked my appointment for 3/10/23.
Any lingering effects 24 hours afterwards? Possible to umpire a couple baseball games the next day or should I stay closer to a toilet?
You'll be fine.

There won't be anything left to poop out.
Agreed. I've had 2 of these procedures and worked the next day both times without an issue. I much preferred the liquid prep to the 12 horse pills x 2. Gonna request the liquid again next time---fortunately I'm back on the 5 year plan after an initial shift to every 3.

And.......Propofol is a wonderful drug and is your friend every 3-5 years.

I've had polyps removed twice. They biopsy them to see if they are cancerous. They didn't seem overly concerned. The only difference is now you are on a 5 year vs a 10 year cycle.

Any lingering effects 24 hours afterwards? Possible to umpire a couple baseball games the next day or should I stay closer to a toilet?
No toilet worries. I'm still a little sluggish a day later from the meds and lack of food while prepping, so I'd be mindful there.
How did you feel later the same day? Could I pull off a long drive? A few hours being long?

No toilet worries. I'm still a little sluggish a day later from the meds and lack of food while prepping, so I'd be mindful there.
How did you feel later the same day? Could I pull off a long drive? A few hours being long?
Your sheet of what to do when you leave is likely going to state no driving for 24 hours.

probably. i just went home and chilled. it's not like surgery or anything. i guess it all comes down to how you react to being knocked out. my innards were fine. one is a little scared to fart with abandon, but my system went back to normal pretty quickly.

Countdown to first drink of the juice is at 22 hours..
Worst part is my appointment isn't until noon Friday so I get the joy of drinking a few glasses that morning as well. :oops:

Worst part is my appointment isn't until noon Friday so I get the joy of drinking a few glasses that morning as well. :oops:
5 pulps found.. They sent them for testing but weren't to concerned..

But that means instead of 10 years, or 5 years, I get to go through all of this again in 3 years :kicksrock:

But that means instead of 10 years, or 5 years, I get to go through all of this again in 3 years :kicksrock:

Better than not doing it at all. Hopefully, the results will come back negative and it's not an issue.

That sucks, but then again that's why we do this.

Find these things out so they don't turn into bigger problems. Hope everything turns out negative and in three years the same.

Did mine a few weeks ago. Found a precancerous one so 5 year cycle for me.

The liquid flush was fairly easy. After the first drink it took about 2 hours for anything to happen but after that it flushed quickly.

Had one bad experience around the 3 hour mark, felt really really nauseous and like I couldn’t catch my breath. Was worried about it coming out both ends but the feeing passed after 5 minutes.

Had an early AM procedure so I had to get up at 4am for the second drink but by then there was already nothing in my system.

The last thing I remember before the procedure was the doctor telling me I should let them know when I fall asleep. I cracked a smile, and the next thing I remembered I was waking in the recovery room.

Wife picked me up per protocol but a couple hours later I felt completely alert (still didn’t drive for 24 hours). Felt normal the next day.

So 4 of the 5 were pre-cancerous, the other one was just a pulp.
As said above, the reason we go... To catch it before they become cancer. :thumbup:
3 years is worth it if they continue to catch it early.

So 4 of the 5 were pre-cancerous, the other one was just a pulp.
As said above, the reason we go... To catch it before they become cancer. :thumbup:
3 years is worth it if they continue to catch it early.
Scary stuff - really glad you did the test.

:thumbup:

Just scheduled the consult. First time here. Turned 45 in October. I'm very nervous about the whole thing so this thread helps.
Don't sweat it. The prep is the worst part.. Just stock up the library and you'll be good to go.... Literally :lol:

54 and doing my first one tomorrow. My doc had me do the mail in test when I turned 50...said I didn't need to do it immediately. Tried to schedule a year ago and my insurance F'd everything up and cancelled my procedure the day before because they would approve it being done by a hospital even though it was at their off site clinic.

will be drinking my first batch of pills at 7pm tonight. Procedure is at 9:15am tomorrow morning. I'm taking SUTAB. I have to take two batches of 12 pills with 48 oz of water twice. I'll be getting up at 5am tomorrow to the second one. Neat.

Son's mom getting a colonoscopy and another scope (via the mouth, don't know what it's called) both at the same time today. Stuff she ingested last night made her really nauseous. She has an ulcer. Don't know if that had an impact. She's looking forward to putting this behind her.

Having my first one done in May. The gig is at 12:45pm, and my instructions say to start my liquid cleanse at 4pm the previous day and drink it until 6pm. Is that a hard start time? I have golf that day, and if I want to play it would move my range to about 7-9pm.

Having my first one done in May. The gig is at 12:45pm, and my instructions say to start my liquid cleanse at 4pm the previous day and drink it until 6pm. Is that a hard start time? I have golf that day, and if I want to play it would move my range to about 7-9pm.
I'd probably ask that question of my physician, rather than a bunch of yahoos on a magic football message board.

Users who are viewing this thread