What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colonoscopy preparation today..... (1 Viewer)

Son's mom getting a colonoscopy and another scope (via the mouth, don't know what it's called) both at the same time today. Stuff she ingested last night made her really nauseous. She has an ulcer. Don't know if that had an impact. She's looking forward to putting this behind her.
Endoscopy.

90 minutes from check-in for my first colonoscopy. Sutab prep was fine. Was very worried about crapping my pants going into this and...well...I did it once. This morning (stage 2 of prep) I was standing up from the toilet and pulling my shorts up when I suddenly felt nauseous. I gagged which turned into a cough and the rest is history. Thankfully it wasn't much and the fabric of my undies contained it. Still sucked.

So far oddly at ease going into the procedure, even though my only other experience with this kind of thing was horrific. Coming out of knee surgery in the late 80s I got so sick from the anesthesia. I keep hearing they use different drugs now though so hoping for the best.

My biggest fear is the need to poop from leaving my house to the arrival of the procedure and then during the procedure. I'm going to stop eating a week before.

My biggest fear is the need to poop from leaving my house to the arrival of the procedure and then during the procedure. I'm going to stop eating a week before.
I accidentally ate the day before when I wasn't supposed to based on my instructions. But I eliminated everything before I got to the dr. office. I felt like more liquid was going to come out, but it didn't and everything turned out fine.

Also just got my results back. All clear. None for me for another 10 years.

The GI I went to for the consultation does the procedure at the hospital which means this is going to be a whole day ordeal now, isnt it? Also have to get a rapid covid test. Annoying, if I knew this I wouldve picked a different doc. Anyway, I am scheduled for April 11.

One of the best and easiest procedures I ever had done. Looking forward to the next one.

-It really can help you achieve a new lifestyle of health. Once you empty out your tummy and you get a feel for what it's like to not be weighed down by all that crummy food you keep stuffing in your mouth, it's a very empowering.

-Most of the poop will be gone the night before @General Malaise and you're going to feel like a rock star after.

That 1st meal, that first bit of food going down into a totally empty stomach is quite a feeling.

Don't be afraid, run to have this procedure done and be thankful you don't put it off another day. It's like going to the dentist when you haven't been for a long long time and afterwards you kick yourself for not keeping up with it.

They are going to sedate you or put you under, when you wake up at least 1 nurse and maybe 2 or 3 will be getting you back into reality and consciousness
I wanted a full physical from these heavenly nurses but my wishes were not fulfilled.

You will float out of the doctor's office or hospital afterwards, there's really nothing to be afraid of.
It's nothing like what we warned about in the 80s by Dennis Wolfberg

The 2nd one I find funnier because of a slightly larger audience although you need to move forward about 1:40 to get to the topic

"I've got the Chrysler building in me, she's worried about other patients."

:thumbup:

Last edited:
90 minutes from check-in for my first colonoscopy. Sutab prep was fine. Was very worried about crapping my pants going into this and...well...I did it once. This morning (stage 2 of prep) I was standing up from the toilet and pulling my shorts up when I suddenly felt nauseous. I gagged which turned into a cough and the rest is history. Thankfully it wasn't much and the fabric of my undies contained it. Still sucked.

So far oddly at ease going into the procedure, even though my only other experience with this kind of thing was horrific. Coming out of knee surgery in the late 80s I got so sick from the anesthesia. I keep hearing they use different drugs now though so hoping for the best.
Procedure was yesterday. Observations and results:

- My sphincter was pretty raw by the end of the 2nd prep session. I used flushable wipes the entire time but that didn't prevent my soreness.
- The clinic I was at ran like a well-oiled machine. Walked in the door, checked-in, went to prep room and was in for the procedure within 10 minutes. This was helpful given my level of anxiety around the IV and anesthesia. It also helped that the nurses and doc were very nice - that helped put me at ease a bit. In and out of the clinic within little over an hour.
- I 100% assumed I'd be knocked out, but was given "conscious sedation", so I was awake throughout the procedure. Even so, I was only occasionally interested or aware. There were a couple points where I remember feeling significant pressure and/or pain (that felt kind of like cramping) but it was fleeting and my interest in it was negligible.
- The only thing I remember hearing anyone say during the entire procedure (which is evidence that the drugs worked) is at one point the doctor said something about a "tattoo". I now know, because I researched it, that he tattooed the inside of my colon where a "larger" polyp was removed.
- When I left the clinic I didn't feel like I had my balance, so they wheeled me out instead of letting me walk. Chose Raisin' Canes for my first meal and then took a 2 hour nap.
- A total of four polyps were removed which isn't abnormal I guess. One of them was a big enough that they used the tattoo process - which has me worried about pathology. They told me it can take up to 2 weeks for biopsy results to come back. I've had basal cell skin cancer on 4 different occasions - for which they've always downplayed any long-term concern - and I'm anxious about getting these results and it's weighing on me.

I'm not an expert, as this was my first colonoscopy, but happy to answer any questions if it would be helpful to someone.

Son's mom getting a colonoscopy and another scope (via the mouth, don't know what it's called) both at the same time today. Stuff she ingested last night made her really nauseous. She has an ulcer. Don't know if that had an impact. She's looking forward to putting this behind her.
Endoscopy.
Endoscopy = camera inserted into the body, usually through a naturally occurring orifice.

Esophagogastroduodenoscopy, AKA EGD, or “upper” endoscopy = camera inserted into esophagus, stomach and duodenum (first part of small intestine).

The GI I went to for the consultation does the procedure at the hospital which means this is going to be a whole day ordeal now, isnt it? Also have to get a rapid covid test. Annoying, if I knew this I wouldve picked a different doc. Anyway, I am scheduled for April 11.
Shouldn’t take any longer by virtue of being in the hospital, unless the GI doc or anesthesia person gets diverted to an emergent procedure (unlikely).

Endoscopy.
Endoscopy = camera inserted into the body, usually through a naturally occurring orifice.

Esophagogastroduodenoscopy, AKA EGD, or “upper” endoscopy = camera inserted into esophagus, stomach and duodenum (first part of small intestine).
Where was this sweet talk in the gondola?

I forgot to check back after my procedure. That over the counter prep of Bisacodyl laxative pills and Miralax in Gatorade worked like a dream. Much less disgusting taste and it was a better clean out than the prescription prep I had used in the past. The photos they gave me showed everything clean as a whistle. Five polyps removed this time. I had four the last time. They want me back in three years for another go round.

Endoscopy.

Where was this sweet talk in the gondola?
Sorry, orificial chat is strictly après-ski. FTR, wifey’s safe word is rhaphanidosis.

My first colonoscopy next week. I am not worried about the procedure or the prep. However, my appointment is for 1pm. Apparently I am the 1st appt of the day. Is it normal to do colonoscopies so late in the day? I dont know how I am going to not eat for a full day and a half. Any advice for not being starving? Also, can I go straight from colonoscopy to eat lunch but I am going to be starving?

My first colonoscopy next week. I am not worried about the procedure or the prep. However, my appointment is for 1pm. Apparently I am the 1st appt of the day. Is it normal to do colonoscopies so late in the day? I dont know how I am going to not eat for a full day and a half. Any advice for not being starving? Also, can I go straight from colonoscopy to eat lunch but I am going to be starving?
I had mine recently at 3PM. The "clear liquids" included black coffee which I find filling. I'm one of the lucky ones that coffee on an empty stomach doesn't cause problems. I had my timing down to the minute on last meal and last sip of fluid. I didn't ever feel hungry, YMMV.

You can eat immediately afterwards.

Mine was at 1p also. Didn't really have any issues with being hungry. Had some jello, some broth.....a 7-up maybe the night before. It was fine.

Great opp to make amends and peace, I know I irritated you with one of my posts in the middle of the season in the SP, for that my apologies

-Good luck next week
-I usually like to schedule them early or no later than 10am, 1 pm is a little late
-Any way you can stay up later the night before and sleep in later? That might throw sleep pattern off though

If you have ever done a cleanse for 2-3 days, you should be fine. If you haven't I think you'll enjoy the new experience.

Cheers!

Have mine in a month. Looking forward to waking up at 3 am to drink the rest of the colon blow for my 9 am appt
For my prep they told me to drink a cup of the solution every 15 minutes until complete and I am supposed to start the prep at 4pm. Then I have to take 2 Dulcolax at 8pm. Nothing else after that and I have a 1pm appt. I wonder why the prep is so different.

Have mine in a month. Looking forward to waking up at 3 am to drink the rest of the colon blow for my 9 am appt
For my prep they told me to drink a cup of the solution every 15 minutes until complete and I am supposed to start the prep at 4pm. Then I have to take 2 Dulcolax at 8pm. Nothing else after that and I have a 1pm appt. I wonder why the prep is so different.
There are about three different preps I’ve seen and no idea why or if insurance matters, doctor‘s preference, etc.

1. The “big” jug that you have to continually drink like you describe.
2. Two smaller drinks, one the evening before with two dulcolax, the second early the morning of. (This is what I had)
3. An all over the counter one which I think is described upthrdad.

All I know is I may never eat chicken broth again…(think i had two jello cups, broth, and a sprite on my liquid diet day).

Mine was at 1:30 PM and using the Sutab prep, the timing was actually pretty great. First round of pills in the evening and the second round in the morning. Eating by 3 PM. I know that I was hungry, but honestly the way the cleanse made me feel I wasn't too keen on eating anyway. I need to have another one in one year and I'll try to get the early afternoon appointment again.

90 minutes from check-in for my first colonoscopy. Sutab prep was fine.
Procedure was yesterday. Observations and results:

- A total of four polyps were removed which isn't abnormal I guess. One of them was a big enough that they used the tattoo process - which has me worried about pathology. They told me it can take up to 2 weeks for biopsy results to come back. I've had basal cell skin cancer on 4 different occasions - for which they've always downplayed any long-term concern - and I'm anxious about getting these results and it's weighing on me.
Just to close the loop on this, one of the large polyps was pre-cancerous. By having it identified and removed, the procedure saved me from a colon cancer diagnosis in the not-too distant future. Because of this I need to go back in one year for another colonoscopy. I'm not happy I have to do that again so soon but grateful for preventative medicine. If you are of age and hesitating to schedule your procedure, please do it. If I had waited longer the results could have been devastating.

Prepping as we speak. This is fun

Question: how long after colonoscopy can I drive? My son as practice 6 hours after my appointment. Online says 24 hours but that sounds ridiculous.

Question: how long after colonoscopy can I drive? My son as practice 6 hours after my appointment. Online says 24 hours but that sounds ridiculous.
I think that might be pushing it. I think by “24” hrs they really mean get a normal nights sleep and go back to normal. I don’t even remember most of the first three hours after my procedure and I would bet I was much less alert and “with it“ for most of the day.

My procedure was at 10 AM. I went to work the next morning so I guess I was driving 21 hours later.

I think that might be pushing it. I think by “24” hrs they really mean get a normal nights sleep and go back to normal. I don’t even remember most of the first three hours after my procedure and I would bet I was much less alert and “with it“ for most of the day.

My procedure was at 10 AM. I went to work the next morning so I guess I was driving 21 hours later.
I waited until the next morning too, and was less than 24 hours.

I'm sure the 24 hour rule is enough for the most extreme cases and covers everyone legally.

There are about three different preps I’ve seen and no idea why or if insurance matters, doctor‘s preference, etc.

1. The “big” jug that you have to continually drink like you describe.
2. Two smaller drinks, one the evening before with two dulcolax, the second early the morning of. (This is what I had)
3. An all over the counter one which I think is described upthrdad.

All I know is I may never eat chicken broth again…(think i had two jello cups, broth, and a sprite on my liquid diet day).
It’s doctor preference. And it’s not a perfect science. You just need to flush your system several hours before they insert the scope. Since everyone’s gut transit time is a little different, they err on the side of starting the prep early, giving excessive laxatives, and keeping you nothing by mouth longer than necessary.

I started my prep with 4 Dulcolax, and my bowel movements were clear a couple hours later, but I still went through the rest of the Miralax/Gatorade. I‘d much rather do that than risk a poor prep/need to be rescoped.

Depends on the sedative they use, but 6 hours is likely too early regardless. Surely you can arrange alternative transportation for your son?

You won’t starve. But considering you‘re worrying about it in advance, there’s a high likelihood you’ll feel like you are.

I fasted the entire day before the procedure, and believe it made the prep easier. Since most people think the prep is the worst part of the process, I wouldn’t invest much energy on anticipatory hunger.

Yeah the Golytely was horrible. I left one cup. I just couldn't take anymore. My poop has been clear for awhile so I think I'll be good.

Depends on the sedative they use, but 6 hours is likely too early regardless. Surely you can arrange alternative transportation for your son?
I'm also a coach. I'll see how I feel.
If you feel poorly, do they have replacements available at the drop of a hat?

You may feel fine, but I’d plan on not going.

ETA And whether you feel good or not, I wouldn’t drive while potentially still under the influence of sedatives.

For what it’s worth, I drove about 4.5 hours after mine and was totally fine. I was on propofol for the procedure. I was alert with my wits completely about me maybe within five minutes of coming to. Handled an important work call while I was in recovery within ten minutes of coming to.

I had one larger polyp removed and one extremely small one. Should get pathology this week. Doctor didn’t seem concerned.

For what it’s worth, I drove about 4.5 hours after mine and was totally fine. I was on propofol for the procedure. I was alert with my wits completely about me maybe within five minutes of coming to. Handled an important work call while I was in recovery within ten minutes of coming to.
Propofol has an extremely short half life (the time which takes for half the drug to be metabolized), like maybe a few minutes. It is not the standard used in most endoscopies though; Fentanyl + Versed are. Their half lives are quite a bit longer, several hours for fentanyl.

To be fair though, you are basically Superman.

Colonoscopy went well. Had one polyp removed which they are biopsying but they said not too concerned. They did say gotta go back in 3 years which seems quick.

I feel perfectly fine now. They used propofol

Colonoscopy went well. Had one polyp removed which they are biopsying but they said not too concerned. They did say gotta go back in 3 years which seems quick.

Interesting that many of you are getting propofol. Did you discuss the type of sedation pre-procedure?

Interesting that many of you are getting propofol. Did you discuss the type of sedation pre-procedure?

No, I have no idea of the sedative, but i was up pretty quick after the procedure.

No they just told me. They even made a Michael Jackson joke.

No, I have no idea of the sedative, but i was up pretty quick after the procedure.
Propofol is rapid onset, moderately deep sedation that wears off quickly. It requires more intense monitoring, often including an anesthetist or anesthesiologist.

While it’s safe and effective, it’s not the first line recommended by the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. That’s probably because it usually incurs more expense, with roughly equivalent safety and outcomes, in comparison to conscious sedation with a benzodiazepine + opioid.

Historically, you’d see it used for patients receiving “VIP” care (not necessarily a good thing). But maybe that is changing :shrug:

No they just told me. They even made a Michael Jackson joke.
That’s Bad.

This was at an endoscopy center, or hospital?

Users who are viewing this thread