What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Combine thread (1 Viewer)

OMG.................LAMO @ "Nation's Most Promising Rich Men Look To Impress Teams At NFL Owners Combine"

:popcorn: :thumbup: :lmao:

Nation Unsure If Slumped-Over Jack Nicklaus Is Dead Or Just Napping

The 71-year-old Nicklaus has not moved for nearly 45 minutes and it's unclear whether he's dozing peacefully or has passed away.

Last edited by a moderator:
So... what's with NFL.com being amazingly slow with 40 yard dash times? The first group of OL ran over an hour ago, and still not a single time listed. Pretty poor showing by the NFL so far.

Nate Solder my fave. Maybe I actually give intelligence too much credit to play a sport, but I like the smart guys they speak of.

Love Sterling being there. He's not afraid to correct the know-it-alls and force them to re-explain..

Just rewound it and looked again to be sure it wasn't the camera moving sideways...what's with Wisniewski's hip? After the 40 he was kinda twisty in his walk. Not sure how to word that. Is he recovering from an injury and still not quite back yet?

I have no idea why these major outlets feel the need to round the heights off. How hard is it just to report the freaking numbers?

Solder is too big for some teams isn't he? Not pretending Flutie is still in the NFL, but 6-8 is 6-8

Newton did this drill best IMO. Didn't catch his first name

Derek

Sterling is excellent in this coverage this year.
:goodposting: The guy to get is Lance Kendricks guys. For some reason hes under the radar today but, he is running all the drills perfect. Definitely a guy to keep an eye on.

Has anyone blown you away the way Vernon Davis did?
Well I guess Green is the obvious answer. Not 100% but I think he beat Davis' scores in 2 of 3.Timing of the TV coverage led to Sharpe saying "see that's perfect, that's how ya do it" when they were catching balls running routes and at that moment it was Green catching the ball. Timing or not, he got noticed big time today.Charles Davis(?) the on field reporter said a coach saw it and was going to re-look at the tape on him. That's the point of the day really. The guy he was interviewing said about the same thing. My votes for today would be T-SolderG-NewtonTE-GreenAnd it may seem silly but I actually like that they are not the WR or QB with the same name.I have loved the commentary today at NFLN. They may have put on their best broadcast ever IMO. Let's see tomorrow with the skill position guysETA He beat one of Davis' not 2

From the stuff I'm seeing on Twitter, it sounds like Ryan Mallet totally blew his turn at the podium. Wouldn't answer any of the off field stuff and abruptly ended the interview and left. His draft stock may be tanking.

Cam Newton just referred to himself as Cam twice, that's annoying.

I like the "sir" replies to kinda dopey Qs-hope he realizes they have to ask those.

If ever there was a kid terrified of saying the wrong thing it's Newton right now

From the stuff I'm seeing on Twitter, it sounds like Ryan Mallet totally blew his turn at the podium. Wouldn't answer any of the off field stuff and abruptly ended the interview and left. His draft stock may be tanking.
this is an uncomfy time for the college guys. Everyone is hyper-sensitive to anything negative and most of the kids can't improve their draft stock at all by speaking.

Some reporter just said something like "I heard you took a laptop and a ?? what do you have to say to that?" (Cam's answer was that the past is in the past and didn't really answer)

That's a brutal Q to ask there. Hasn't that horse been beaten already?

Some reporter just said something like "I heard you took a laptop and a ?? what do you have to say to that?" (Cam's answer was that the past is in the past and didn't really answer)That's a brutal Q to ask there. Hasn't that horse been beaten already?
Well, the teams probably actually LIKE that the reporters are asking those type of questions in those situations. Part of being an NFL quarterback is dealing with a lot of pressure on the field, and dealing with really difficult media situations, at times, off the field. This gives them some insight into how players may handle that pressure.
NFLN guys comparing Cam to JaMarcus Russel and Vince Young. Ouch
Sort of an unfair comparison IMO. From what I've heard, Newton loves football and works really hard. The biggest knocks against Russell and Young, and IMO a HUGE reason why both failed, is that neither one was willing to work hard. Not having watched it myself, what is their justification for the comparison?

this is an uncomfy time for the college guys. Everyone is hyper-sensitive to anything negative and most of the kids can't improve their draft stock at all by speaking.
That may be true for some, but it's definitely not true for Ryan Mallet. If Mallet is having issues with the media at the combine there's no way his stock is hurt by that given the history of off-field issues he has.

NFLN guys comparing Cam to JaMarcus Russel and Vince Young. Ouch
Sort of an unfair comparison IMO. From what I've heard, Newton loves football and works really hard. The biggest knocks against Russell and Young, and IMO a HUGE reason why both failed, is that neither one was willing to work hard. Not having watched it myself, what is their justification for the comparison?
Been a couple hours, not sure. They were smiling and there was some joking involved. I guess what came out of Mayock's mouth made them say "like Vince Young and Jamarcus."It looks like they are replaying everything so it'll probably be on again real soon

That may be true for some, but it's definitely not true for Ryan Mallet. If Mallet is having issues with the media at the combine there's no way his stock is hurt by that given the history of off-field issues he has.
But he didn't improve his stock, he hurt it. I don't understand ya hereAnd on twitter how many tweets have praised Cam for talking in the third person? Praise, really? It was as if that's a sign of a star.

I didn't see the interview on NFLN but the reporters are loving Julio and tweeting as such.

Vereen update:

Vereen put up 31 reps on the bench today. Not terribly important for a rb, but he definitely is focused on etting bigger and stronger for the combine. Mike Reiss seemed to hint that he was excellent in his interview. If he can run a quality 40, I think he is a late second round pick at worst.

I have no idea why these major outlets feel the need to round the heights off. How hard is it just to report the freaking numbers?
My guess is the combination of 1) space, 2) most of America does not care if 5'10 is 5'9" 5/8, 5'10, or 5'10 1/4, 3) if it does matter there are places to find the 1/8 of an inch splits.

Vereen update:Vereen put up 31 reps on the bench today. Not terribly important for a rb, but he definitely is focused on etting bigger and stronger for the combine. Mike Reiss seemed to hint that he was excellent in his interview. If he can run a quality 40, I think he is a late second round pick at worst.
Wow, 31 reps is great for a rb who many consider weak and undersized.So far vereen is looking like big draft riser barring a collapse tomorrow.Perfect height/weight, amazing bench strength which shows he worked hard in the weight room. Anything under 4.5 in the 40 and he should be a lock to go by pick 60.He might belong in the discussion after ingram as the #2 rb in the draft when it is all said and done.

While reading reports on Mallet today, words like "unlikeable" and "don't trust" seemed to pop up a lot. Sounds like more than a few teams might be taking his name completely off their draft list.

where are the RB/WR bench presses listed online?

NFL.com has a highlight. WalterFootball only has heights and weights

I don't see them listed. However, if you go to the nfl.com page and look at the combine leaders, Vereen is the top ten overall in the bench press.

vereen lifted more than almost all the o and d lineman.we might be looking at the best rb of the 2011 class
Bench press is not a huge indicator of what RB's can do on the field. It's nice to see, and it helps his stock. But Best of 2011 based on bench press is a bit of a stretch.

In quasi defense of him it was the like the very first question asked with nothing leading up to it. It was just a direct question based on hearsay and rumors. If they would have worked their way to that point I could see it going better but when they blindsided Mallett with that I can understand him being put off by it immediately. That said he still should have been prepped for that to potentially to happen.

Solder is too big for some teams isn't he? Not pretending Flutie is still in the NFL, but 6-8 is 6-8
Max Starks is 6-8. Flozell is 6-7.Solder was very impressive in drills (except bench). Cameron (USC TE) was too. 4.03 shuttle? Typo? That's crazy!

But he didn't improve his stock, he hurt it. I don't understand ya hereAnd on twitter how many tweets have praised Cam for talking in the third person? Praise, really? It was as if that's a sign of a star.

I didn't see the interview on NFLN but the reporters are loving Julio and tweeting as such.
The crew at the combine were saying he did the right thing that now is not the time to talk to the media about personal issues but the will speak to the coaches only at this point. At first, I thought the same but it wasn't because he kept telling them he's not going to talk about it now but the way he huffed and walked off the podium. twocents

While reading reports on Mallet today, words like "unlikeable" and "don't trust" seemed to pop up a lot. Sounds like more than a few teams might be taking his name completely off their draft list.
And they should. This guy doesn't get it. He won't cut it. A Ryan Leaf personality it it seems. Instead of trying to keep his stock in place or maybe improving it at least a little, he is doing his best at destroying it all together. Doesn't answer questions, not performing the drills. Get this clown out of there. Who wants a bum like this?

And they should. This guy doesn't get it. He won't cut it. A Ryan Leaf personality it it seems. Instead of trying to keep his stock in place or maybe improving it at least a little, he is doing his best at destroying it all together. Doesn't answer questions, not performing the drills. Get this clown out of there. Who wants a bum like this?
I take it you aren't a Mallet fan?

I thought he was going to be something but he is screwing up every step of the way. This is where you make $ if you are good. You don't run away.This is what I'm talking about:http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/ScoutingCombine/Buzz.php

I thought he was going to be something but he is screwing up every step of the way. This is where you make $ if you are good. You don't run away.
Did you see the video? I thought he tried pretty hard. He certainly has an unlikable personality, but he tried to be diplomatic about it. I really can't understand how someone could liken him to Ryan Leaf based on this interview.

I thought he was going to be something but he is screwing up every step of the way. This is where you make $ if you are good. You don't run away.
Did you see the video? I thought he tried pretty hard. He certainly has an unlikable personality, but he tried to be diplomatic about it. I really can't understand how someone could liken him to Ryan Leaf based on this interview.
Not Ryan Leaf at the end but Ryan Leaf on his way to the melt down. Leaf was all world as far as stats but when it came to the mental side, he was a loser. Looks like Mallett is following his footsteps so far.

Not Ryan Leaf at the end but Ryan Leaf on his way to the melt down. Leaf was all world as far as stats but when it came to the mental side, he was a loser. Looks like Mallett is following his footsteps so far.
Have you watched the interview?In what way does that look like Ryan Leaf?

I don't need to watch it. I figure if NFL Draftcountdown echo's my sentiments about him screwing up, then I'm in the ballpark. Leaf didn't even screw up this bad in the interviews but you could tell mentally he had issues. Ditto Mallett.

AJ Green just ran a 4.48
J. Jones just ran 4.43.Times are unofficial right now but if those hold up they are great times for guys that big.
Jones just posted an unofficial 4.39 on his second run. :thumbup:
Looks like we'll have 2 WRs go in the top 10. Can't see Washington passing on either if they are still there at 10. Some really nice times coming out of that track in Indy today.Baldwin 4.45 @ 6'4" 228lbsHankerson 4.45 @6'2" 209lbsLittle 4.56 @ 6'3" 231lbsBaldwin is likely top 25 now, and Hankerson probably won't make it past 40.

Just happened to be over at footballs' future to se wha they were saying. What an interesting last comment.http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=437690&start=602 pages in: read it.The reviews of Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett's media session are not kind. Writers comparing him to Ryan Leaf -- and not in a good way. #NFL
You know your link, is just to another message board/forum right?Ryan Leaf had a drug problem, Mallet is taking fire over alleged drug problems... That is the parallel.. The way he conducted himself in his interview doesn't seem to resemble anything Ryan Leaf. Ryan leaf actually interviewed much better than Mallet just did, and later turned out to be a head case. Mallet seems to have maturity issues, and lacks in social graces.And I find it rather odd that you'll comment on Mallet's interview without watching Mallets interview. Are you basing everything you're saying on your interpretation, of someone else's interpretation?

Rrrrreally dying to know what Derrick Locke has done. If anyone has a link please share. NFLN is covering WR 40s while RBs are jumping. Didn't see bench press numbers either. If you have a link...thanks

Users who are viewing this thread