What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Combine (1 Viewer)

Liquid Tension

Footballguy
Every year we see one guy fly up the draft boards because he has a great combine and ever year some guy who can really play football drops because he ran a 4.6 instead of a 4.4 (see Jerry Rice and T. Davis). Why in the world don't the powers to be run these guys in pads (the way they play the game).

Isn't it obvious that some guys don't lose much speed in pads and other guys may lose a lot?

If I were a GM I would run all "my" guys in pads and then make that the measurement even if everyone is a 4.6 guy in pads.

Thoughts?

No idea, but I would also like players to run the 40 similar to how they would in a game, i.e. have WR's line up as though they are running a route and start the timer at the snap. I've never understood why the 40 is ran like Olympic sprinters.

Every year we see one guy fly up the draft boards because he has a great combine and ever year some guy who can really play football drops because he ran a 4.6 instead of a 4.4 (see Jerry Rice and T. Davis). Why in the world don't the powers to be run these guys in pads (the way they play the game).

Isn't it obvious that some guys don't lose much speed in pads and other guys may lose a lot?

If I were a GM I would run all "my" guys in pads and then make that the measurement even if everyone is a 4.6 guy in pads.

Thoughts?
I agree they should, but I don't see it ever happening

I also think the QB's should do their drills with a rabid Julius Peppers hot on their ### or a gapped-tooth Michael Strahan ready to tattoo their chest....the way the game is played.

Last edited by a moderator:
We were talking about this the other day at the fire station. I've never understood it. I think they should do all their timed running and jumping measurements in pads, or least do them without, then with. That would be even more revealing.

Some guys are affected far more than others by the pads, and to measure w/o them is ludicrous.

You would just get players wearing the dinkiest sets of pads and it would be a big joke.

You'd see a RB lining up for the 40 in 1950s pads.

You would just get players wearing the dinkiest sets of pads and it would be a big joke.

Well no, you could get equiopment for RB's that was the same for everyone. WR's could run without thight pads, but with light shoulder pads and helmets. the idea would be everyone at each position would run with the same equipment. DB's would all have the same, LB's, DL, OL, QB's, RB & FB's, WR's and TE's.It makes too much sense not to do it because there is so much money invested in these guys. I also think you would see why the guys who are 195 pounds have trouble to make it in the nfl; I bet they lose more on their 40 time than a 225 lb back?

I also think the QB's should do their drills with a rabid Julius Peppers hot on their ### or a gapped-tooth Michael Strahan ready to tattoo their chest....the way the game is played.
:) You could see how they do throwing over 6'5" guys. Of course you are right that the real test for a QB is how he handles the pressure and how he reacts after taking a few hits early in the game. many guys release the ball a split second sooner after that happens.

Well no, you could get equiopment for RB's that was the same for everyone. WR's could run without thight pads, but with light shoulder pads and helmets. the idea would be everyone at each position would run with the same equipment. DB's would all have the same, LB's, DL, OL, QB's, RB & FB's, WR's and TE's.It makes too much sense not to do it because there is so much money invested in these guys. I also think you would see why the guys who are 195 pounds have trouble to make it in the nfl; I bet they lose more on their 40 time than a 225 lb back?
But not everyone wears the same pads in a game. Ed McCaffrey only wore some Pop Warner shoulderpads and a helmet. Most WRs wear more padding than he did. Bo Jackson wore some friggin' wide fullback shoulderpads and hippads sticking out of his pants. Most RBs wear less than he did. I think it would be very difficult to regulate what pads a college prospect got to wear in the combine. That's probably why they don't do it.

But not everyone wears the same pads in a game. Ed McCaffrey only wore some Pop Warner shoulderpads and a helmet. Most WRs wear more padding than he did. Bo Jackson wore some friggin' wide fullback shoulderpads and hippads sticking out of his pants. Most RBs wear less than he did. I think it would be very difficult to regulate what pads a college prospect got to wear in the combine. That's probably why they don't do it.Again, you set it up as the same for everyone, if you want you could use the minimum amount for everyone. As I said in regards to WR's, give them some light shoulder pads and no thigh pads, but give them some thigh pads etc... Bottom line is guys are running in their shorts with nothing underneath and a T-shirt; this is not how ANYONE plays

But then guys would be wearing stuff in sizes they aren't used to and your goal of making it just like how they'd play in a game situation wouldn't be met.

But not everyone wears the same pads in a game. Ed McCaffrey only wore some Pop Warner shoulderpads and a helmet. Most WRs wear more padding than he did. Bo Jackson wore some friggin' wide fullback shoulderpads and hippads sticking out of his pants. Most RBs wear less than he did. I think it would be very difficult to regulate what pads a college prospect got to wear in the combine. That's probably why they don't do it.Again, you set it up as the same for everyone, if you want you could use the minimum amount for everyone. As I said in regards to WR's, give them some light shoulder pads and no thigh pads, but give them some thigh pads etc... Bottom line is guys are running in their shorts with nothing underneath and a T-shirt; this is not how ANYONE plays
I think making them run and do drills in shoulderpads, etc. that they've never worn before and never will again would produce less conclusive times/results.

I don't think it matters much. If you can run well in pads, you can run well without them (and vice versa).

Jerry Rice was faster on the field than on the track, but I strongly doubt that it had anything to do with pads. Part of it may have been poor technique out of the starting blocks. But I think the main reason he was so fast on the field compared to other players was that he always kept the other players off balance. He was a master at using subtle head fakes and eye fakes. And he could change direction so well at full speed that defenders always had to be ready for it.

I don't think it matters much. If you can run well in pads, you can run well without them (and vice versa).

Jerry Rice was faster on the field than on the track, but I strongly doubt that it had anything to do with pads. Part of it may have been poor technique out of the starting blocks. But I think the main reason he was so fast on the field compared to other players was that he always kept the other players off balance. He was a master at using subtle head fakes and eye fakes. And he could change direction so well at full speed that defenders always had to be ready for it.
I do not agree except for Rice making people off balance. People can carry weight on their body differently and the effect can be large. Some people add weight and don't lose speed, others add weight and lose a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread